The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kazrog releases KClip 3 Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear
it's not related to OS i think. I'm on 10.12.6 logic 10.3.3 and get the same crackles in multi. i will check my laptop later it's still on El Capitan.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear
OK I also checked my laptop. with the original (no preset) install and after with the second issue installed of 3.0.1 with preset fix. Same behaviour in all situations Logic 10.3.3. Also have a backup of 9.1.8 running there. Same Same. The clicking does not come from the processing. It is unchanged at Quality 1 ECO, 4 band, all Mix knobs as well as the master set to "DRY" .
Let me know if I can help with anything further.
Cheers
Peter
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete View Post
OK I also checked my laptop. with the original (no preset) install and after with the second issue installed of 3.0.1 with preset fix. Same behaviour in all situations Logic 10.3.3. Also have a backup of 9.1.8 running there. Same Same. The clicking does not come from the processing. It is unchanged at Quality 1 ECO, 4 band, all Mix knobs as well as the master set to "DRY" .
Let me know if I can help with anything further.
Cheers
Peter
Going to keep experimenting until I can recreate this. So far, it's working fine for me. Very frustrating.

EDIT - I'm getting crackles only if I go down to 32 samples/buffer, but under no other situation (unless I mess with the quality knob, which isn't working properly in Logic.) So, I'm just going to tackle the quality knob issue and see if that resolves the rest of it for everyone.

Last edited by Kazrog; 19th April 2018 at 05:20 PM..
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
EDIT - I'm getting crackles only if I go down to 32 samples/buffer, but under no other situation (unless I mess with the quality knob, which isn't working properly in Logic.) So, I'm just going to tackle the quality knob issue and see if that resolves the rest of it for everyone.
sounds like a plan Stan.....
I just realised that my previous assumption is probably totally wrong. Even if "mix" is set to dry, the plugin has to calculate the process and can't just turn itself off (ie. automation).
Thats why I guess the rocket science should be left for the rocket scientists.

Best of luck Professor Shane!
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd like to get a bug fix out next week, but I can't recreate the crackling audio in multiband mode that others are experiencing, in any buffer size or sample rate so far. I am running High Sierra 10.13.2, but I will install 10.13.3 tonight to see if that changes anything.
Is there possibly an install issue? I noticed that installation of the version with the fixed presets fixed the bitcrusher effect in multiband even though I don't think the plugin code itself was changed. Is it possible that people who have installed a particular combination of beta and release have a mismatch of files - maybe becase the installer didn't copy over the right ones - that the beta testers and yourself don't?
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble View Post
Is there possibly an install issue? I noticed that installation of the version with the fixed presets fixed the bitcrusher effect in multiband even though I don't think the plugin code itself was changed. Is it possible that people who have installed a particular combination of beta and release have a mismatch of files - maybe becase the installer didn't copy over the right ones - that the beta testers and yourself don't?
good point. It can't hurt to deinstall completely and reinstall the preset fix version into a clean system.

EDIT: complete deinstall with uninstaller and reinstall did not solve the problem. I also double checked CPU processes in Logic during 4 band clicking. I had only 1 of 24 cores at 50%.

Last edited by schmeete; 20th April 2018 at 12:10 PM..
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Going to keep experimenting until I can recreate this. So far, it's working fine for me. Very frustrating.

I have one request regarding KClip3.

I really like the waveform view, but it would be great if it could be overlayed between before and after, so for example after would be in yellow and before in red...so you could have a visual representation of what has been chopped off.

As it currently stands the yellow waveform only shows the waveform post clipping (if it occurs), but it would make sense to see both. Now one has to back off the input gain or increase the treshold to get a representation what is being chopped off.

I believe this implementation shouldn't be too hard and time consuming, but would really improve the already superb clipper.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I really like the waveform view, but it would be great if it could be overlayed between before and after, so for example after would be in yellow and before in red...so you could have a visual representation of what has been chopped off.
That's what I wanted to do from day one. Thing is - KClip 3 is actually a complete rewrite of the codebase, which I started in January. Almost everything I did in 2017 was scrapped, aside from the general concepts. It's been a wild journey, with the fires in California creating a massive interruption, but KClip 3 as it stands today is really the second incarnation of the plugin - there was another version of it that had a totally different codebase last year.

I'm glad I started fresh - it was necessary, and I'm very happy with the result. It has also made for a few things making it to release that aren't quite my final ideal of what they should be, but I didn't want to keep people waiting any longer (since it's already taken 4 months longer than I'd originally hoped.)

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what I wanted to do from day one. Thing is - KClip 3 is actually a complete rewrite of the codebase, which I started in January. Almost everything I did in 2017 was scrapped, aside from the general concepts. It's been a wild journey, with the fires in California creating a massive interruption, but KClip 3 as it stands today is really the second incarnation of the plugin - there was another version of it that had a totally different codebase last year.

I'm glad I started fresh - it was necessary, and I'm very happy with the result. It has also made for a few things making it to release that aren't quite my final ideal of what they should be, but I didn't want to keep people waiting any longer (since it's already taken 4 months longer than I'd originally hoped.)

Thanks for your feedback!
So does it mean that is is planned as a future update?
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
So does it mean that is is planned as a future update?
Yeah, that was the point I was making. Sorry if that wasn't clear!
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

FYI, if anyone's interested, I've posted KClip 3.0.2 beta to my forum:

KClip 3.0.2 build 1 - public beta download (Topic in the 'Kazrog' forum) | KVR Audio Forum

This should resolve known issues. Feel free to post here or there - I'm following both threads. Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

KClip 3.0.2 update has been posted. This update addresses issues from the KClip 3 release, and is recommended for everyone.
Old 24th April 2018
thanks for the update all good on my mac mini with high sierra now even in high quality mode .
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Head

anyone else getting immediate crashes after installing 3.0.2 update in Logic?
crashing on start-up. Sierra 10.12.6
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenroom View Post
anyone else getting immediate crashes after installing 3.0.2 update in Logic?
crashing on start-up. Sierra 10.12.6
Had a couple of reports of this, both of which were resolved by restarting the Mac in question.
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Had a couple of reports of this, both of which were resolved by restarting the Mac in question.
Restarted and resolved. Thnx!
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
same here. Actually OSX asked me to delete and re-download my current version of Logic 10.3.3 on 10.11.6. I had no idea it was related to having done the update. Common sense.... just tried a restart and everything was back to normal.
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Head

Still getting multi-band click issue with 3.0.2
in Logic. Eco setting.
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Head

Can someone explain what's good about this plugin? I can't hear anything good coming out from it?

Can't gain so much before to much "digital" distortion (non pleasant).
Can't really use it to tame transients, maybe I could if it was more of a multistage clip algo.

For me it sound the same as the cheapest 0dB clip plugin? I get the impression that it's suppose to be more like analog clipping but it seems so far away?

And it's using very high CPU so then I expect som magic?!

Don't men to be negative but I don't understand? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Nut

Not really impressed with the sound. Still prefer v2 to some extent, expected more from this new edition.

Last edited by Oni.; 7th May 2018 at 05:21 PM..
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynet View Post
Can someone explain what's good about this plugin? I can't hear anything good coming out from it?
What did u expect ? what were you looking for ?

Quote:
Can't gain so much before to much "digital" distortion (non pleasant).
Can't really use it to tame transients, maybe I could if it was more of a multistage clip algo.
Can't understand how someone cannot "Tame" transients with Kc3 (unless you feed it with MASSIVE amounts of spiky things with low-end info in them).

How do you try and "tame" them transients ?

Quote:
For me it sound the same as the cheapest 0dB clip plugin?
Nope. it is as cheap or as expensive as your usage knowledge would be.

Quote:
I get the impression that it's suppose to be more like analog clipping but it seems so far away?
That phrase "Analog Clipping" ...

Analog is Analog. digital is digital. if you crave REAL analog sound, just buy an analog gear. that way, you won't be questioning yourself forever...

Quote:
And it's using very high CPU so then I expect som magic?!
I guess wrong expectation. CPU hit is due to complex math.

Quote:
Don't men to be negative but I don't understand? Am I missing something?
The magic starts with your aural aesthetics... and ends there.
And that's what your missing.

Once you possess one, you'll get there... one way or another
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Just popping in to say KClip3 is indispensable for me - mixing and mastering, and even a creative tool now with the new modes!

Multiband lets me sweeten my masters a tiny little bit extra, and the option to set different clipping modes per band means I can get the transients sitting just right.

I am perplexed about the folks complaining about this plug, but hey - horses for courses. Happy for y'all not to use it so I can have my little bit of 'secret magic' ITB...
Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear

Is there somewhere a set workflow for Kclip 3 ?
Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post
Is there somewhere a set workflow for Kclip 3 ?
I just posted a video tutorial yesterday, which should help with some of the most common questions:

Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni. View Post
Not really impressed with the sound. Still prefer v2 to some extent, expected more from this new edition.
If you match settings between KClip 2 and 3, they should sound the same. KClip 3 just gives you more stuff you can do. I literally implemented every single user feature request I received (and a ton of my own ideas), so I wonder what "more" you expected?

Check out the tutorial video I posted above. There's one pitfall it seems some people have consistently hit (irrespective of KClip version) so you may want to make sure you've accounted for that.

Last edited by Kazrog; 12th May 2018 at 08:08 PM..
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just posted a video tutorial yesterday, which should help with some of the most common questions:

This is useful information.
I have to admit, I have used limters/maximizer in the wrong way, is this here is correct.

So, you have one the one hand the loudness target, and on the other hand you have the ceiling.

But you are not supposed to use the ceiling, i.e. increase the input/threshold in the way, it hits the ceiling clipper?

Question: what is the function of the ceiling, then?
(Maybe it was told in the tutorial, but I´d like to hear it once again).

And: what is the relation between the loudness target and the ceiling settings?
Old 16th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
This is useful information.
I have to admit, I have used limters/maximizer in the wrong way, is this here is correct.

So, you have one the one hand the loudness target, and on the other hand you have the ceiling.

But you are not supposed to use the ceiling, i.e. increase the input/threshold in the way, it hits the ceiling clipper?

Question: what is the function of the ceiling, then?
(Maybe it was told in the tutorial, but I´d like to hear it once again).

And: what is the relation between the loudness target and the ceiling settings?
Ceiling is max peak level eg -0.5dbfs. Signals will not be allowed past this

Loudness is a measurement of average level over a specified time eg EBU R128 standard. LUFS
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Ceiling is max peak level eg -0.5dbfs. Signals will not be allowed past this

Loudness is a measurement of average level over a specified time eg EBU R128 standard. LUFS
Yeah, I know all this, but my question was (is):
when you are maximizing/(optimizing) your track, if the ceiling is not allowed to hit (clip), why set that ceiling, btw in my case normally -0.8- -1 dB?
I've understood, that the part of maximizing the loudness of the track, is to squeeze it up to the ceiling, which functions as a clipper.
How do you know its up to the ceiling, if you don't get a hit to it?
Old 16th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
Yeah, I know all this, but my question was (is):
when you are maximizing/(optimizing) your track, if the ceiling is not allowed to hit (clip), why set that ceiling, btw in my case normally -0.8- -1 dB?
I've understood, that the part of maximizing the loudness of the track, is to squeeze it up to the ceiling, which functions as a clipper.
How do you know its up to the ceiling, if you don't get a hit to it?
Kazrog will clarify I'm sure, but my understanding was the CEILING is a secondary fixed threshold brickwall clipper that effectively acts as a true peak limiter. Threshold refers to onset of clipping, ceiling refers to the brickwall's threshold.

EDIT- from the manual "After the Out Gain knob in the signal chain, the Ceiling (when enabled) applies a final stage of 100% hard clipping at the session sample rate with no oversampling, in order to catch any level overages that occur."

How do you know it is up to the ceiling? The visual metering / readout is the only way you'd know this.

DISCLAIMER - I am still using KClip 2 - I see there is a selectable "waveform" view - does this show ceiling / clipping info?

Last edited by Blast9; 16th May 2018 at 02:28 PM..
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Kazrog will clarify I'm sure, but my understanding was the CEILING is a secondary fixed threshold brickwall clipper that effectively acts as a true peak limiter. Threshold refers to onset of clipping, ceiling refers to the brickwall's threshold.

EDIT- from the manual "After the Out Gain knob in the signal chain, the Ceiling (when enabled) applies a final stage of 100% hard clipping at the session sample rate with no oversampling, in order to catch any level overages that occur."

How do you know it is up to the ceiling? The visual metering / readout is the only way you'd know this.

DISCLAIMER - I am still using KClip 2 - I see there is a selectable "waveform" view - does this show ceiling / clipping info?
My question is based on the humble attitude, my eagernes to learn more.
I own the KClip2 Pro as well, I use it only occasianally, because its very CPU-hogg.

My usual choises are either the Ozone 8 adv. maxmizer (IRC III or IV/modern), or the Fabfilter Pro-L2.

I have to admit, that in both of those limiter/maximizers, I useally run the threshold/input to the ceiling, i.e. ceiling in clipping time to time.

Therefore I´m most interested in the developers opinion here: according to him, I have used my limiters/maxmizers in the wrong way all the time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search