The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oeksound spiff - An adaptive transient processor Dynamics Plugins
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Oeksound spiff - An adaptive transient processor

Oeksound spiff
an adaptive transient processor
introductory price of 99€ until the end of April 2018

spiff is our take on transient control. Following the success of our first plug-in, soothe, spiff was designed to fill in the gap of the sound engineer’s toolkit. It has been designed to cut or boost transients with extreme detail. Similar to soothe, spiff analyses the incoming signal and applies the processing only on the parts of the signal that contain the transient information. This keeps the rest of the signal intact and free from side effects.

spiff handles transients the same way soothe handles resonances. By reacting only where and when needed, spiff is capable of attenuating or even removing transient information from a sound. Effective on mouth noises, hard consonants, clicks and pops, it can also be used for example to soften the pick attack from a guitar recording while retaining the top end sheen. Engaging the boost mode turns spiff into a powerful transient enhancer. This allows you to bring elements to the front of a mix without increasing the RMS level, or to boost fundamentals from drums without additional boominess.

A lot of attention was put into making the algorithm accurate, versatile, and yet feel intuitive. For spiff we’ve redesigned our user interface to make for a quick and focused user experience. spiff operates perfectly with minimal adjusting, and can be left on a track without the need for constant readjustments to compensate for changes in the audio material. At the same time, the clearly laid out parameters let you dig into the processing if the material requires it.

The OpenGL-accelerated graph lets you see where and when spiff is at work. The EQ-section lets you zone in on frequencies that require more attention. Use the delta toggle and per-band cue to hear just what is being affected. Oversampling and increased resolution are also there, if your CPU has what it takes!

Presenting a new way of controlling transients, spiff opens up an infinite number of possibilities for sound manipulation. Even on more extreme settings, spiff retains the original character of the sound, without introducing any nasty artefacts. Remove all attack from a piano, turn guitar parts into a lapsteel. Make a picked guitar sound fingerpicked. Remove the close mics from a drum recording. spiff is your one-stop solution for transients.

available as:
Windows 7 and up as 32/64bit VST and 64 bit AAX.

Mac OSX 10.7 – 10.13 as 32/64bit VST and AU, and 64 bit AAX, Intel-based Macs.

iLok account required. Online access required for the initial activation of the product and trial. One license allows activation of the product on 2 machines. Licenses are valid for both Windows and Mac OSX platforms.

Click here for product page:oeksound | plug-ins you actually need
Trial download here: oeksound | plug-ins you actually need

Last edited by guitar_guy182_; 14th April 2018 at 12:33 AM..
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Addict
I'd love to see a demo of this in action on video. There's a demo to check out of course which is great. I think I understand what the plugin is about by reading all the text but if somebody posts a video using it then please stick it in this thread incase I miss it. I LOVE soothe, I'm forever telling other mixers about it.
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

could you give a concrete example where you would use it?
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

Cannot express enough how disappointed I am to read that they're going with iLok.
Spiff looks great and I'd love to have it in my toolkit, but just like Soundtoys, Oeksound just lost me. iLok boycott, no exceptions.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear
Thank you !

Such an easy authorisation online.. probably the easiest authorisation I’ve ever had.

Putting it through it’s paces now! I expect a lot after Soothe!
Old 11th April 2018
Downloaded the demo and tried it for taming some aggrevating cymbals. Seemed easy to over-do it, but with the right amount it worked like a charm!

Love the resizeable gui and everything feels very intuitive and easy to dial in.

So looking forward to further testing!
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayyy View Post
Cannot express enough how disappointed I am to read that they're going with iLok.
Spiff looks great and I'd love to have it in my toolkit, but just like Soundtoys, Oeksound just lost me. iLok boycott, no exceptions.
In fairness I don't think you need a physical Ilok Dongle? Softube also works in that way.

But I admit, I've survived this long without Ilok and have plugins coming out of my ears, that extra hurdle to purchase and access (whether it is a misconception or not) turns me off buying stuff I didn't know I needed.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

As much as Oeksound has done it again getting me to want a plugin as bad as can be but - iLok is (again and again) a disaster waiting to happen for those who have paying clients that need work on time and 100% reliable.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
As much as Oeksound has done it again getting me to want a plugin as bad as can be but - iLok is (again and again) a disaster waiting to happen for those who have paying clients that need work on time and 100% reliable.
You can authorise to a machine. How is that any different to a serial number? How is that less reliable?

I can understand people's issue with a HW dongle as it can break etc. but with a machine auth, it's just like a serial. Once it's registered, that's it. You'd literally have to lose your HD for it to disappear, and if that happens, that's the least of your concern in regards to your paying clients.

I'm no iLok loyalist by any means. In fact, I quite despise the company. But, I just accept it's something I have to live with.

I also think it's pretty cool that Oek-Sound is giving current Soothe owners 3 auths when they transition to iLok. That's quite generous.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'd like to talk to them maybe at the Frankfurt fair. I need my stuff to be reliable to be ready to work when a client comes in. For example, i got three spare machines for recording in the studio where i can swap drives and go on in five minutes if one machine gets funky. (and my current machine is built good so i actually don't use these spare machines) It's not about money - it's just when i hear iLok i run. I'd be glad if i find a solution with Oeksound without the (proven) not-giving-a-F---attitude of iLok and my dependency on factors i can't control. The same with subscription models, constant online connections, dependency on servers elsewhere or - (insert cursing here) - data on clouds. I know my stuff around computers/electronics, i built one of my machines with the solder gun back then. I pay serious money for hardware and want serious effort and trouble free operation in return.
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

announcement of spiff

Greetings from oeksound! I'm Tommi Gröhn, the lead developer of spiff and I'm happy to answer your questions here. Seems like you beat us to it with a good margin

This is what we were planning to say about spiff:

Spiff is our take on being the one-stop transient control tool for sound production, mixing and mastering work. It adapts to the source material on-the-fly and applies the processing precisely on the frequencies that make up the transients.

The initial motive behind designing spiff was to create a transparent and easy-to-use tool for taming mouth clicks and hard consonants, as engineers still typically rely on editing them out by hand – i.e. to free time for the creative work. As we got spiff tweaked to handle the vocal tracks transparently, it also turned out to be a versatile tool for attenuating or boosting the transient detail on wide range of materials. spiff catches the transients exactly as they happen and applies its processing only to the frequencies that contribute to the transients' energy. This combination of excellent time and frequency precision makes spiff an unique tool for manipulating the transients on complex sound sources and even full mixes. spiff is level-independent, which makes it adapt well to the dynamics of the source material, independent of the gain staging.

spiff is useful in a number of use cases. Setting it up to operate in cut mode on the high frequency range can be used to subtly smoothen the occasional spikes on a vocal track while retaining the pleasant top end sheen. However, spiff is not just about making the transients smooth. spiff can be flipped over to boost mode to emphasize the articulation of a rap vocal, for example.

spiff is a versatile tool especially for those who have to fix things in a mix, and it can shine on for example to:
- suppress excessive hard consonants and mouth noises, especially with close-miked vocals
- unobtrusively restore the lost dynamics and liveliness in sound material due to bad recording techniques or overprocessing
- add body to just the transient part of a drum track or acoustic instrument tracks without adding mud
- dynamically widen the stereo image by boosting transients on the side channel
- make aggressively strummed acoustic guitar tracks sit better in the mix
- add beef to electric guitar pick attack
- shorten the envelope of drum samples and percussion loops

We feel that being able to control the transients this way in both time and frequency opens up a whole new dimension in altering the sense of depth in a mix. Cutting out transient information can be used to push material back (instead of adding reverb), while dialing in detail can really help bring instruments forward in a mix.

With spiff we felt that the freedom of creative abuse should be left to the user. The parameters offer a extensive range of adjustment which also makes spiff a powerful sound design tool.

spiff also features a number of features that will eventually also end up in soothe:
- M/S processing
- resizable user interface
- A/B copy and comparison of the plugin settings
- revised EQ-usability with adjustable band modes
- ability to listen to the frequency range the selected EQ band is affecting

You can download spiff here:
https://oeksound.com/plugins/spiff/

Let us know what you think!

Tommi Gröhn
oeksound
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
For example, i got three spare machines for recording in the studio where i can swap drives and go on in five minutes if one machine gets funky.
Can I ask what you do in regards to your other software authorisations? If they're authorised to the drive, what do you do when you swap drives? You don't normally get unlimited authorisations with other companies.

With your setup, the hardware dongle actually makes the most sense as it's a constant authorisation. Well, unless it physically breaks.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

This thing's great! All the magic of soothe, but for transients!
Also, glad to see it's on ilok - I know people like to moan about ilok, but it's the easiest way to move licenses around.

-B
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Can I ask what you do in regards to your other software authorisations?
These are the recording machines, they don't need that much plugins, they stay in the recording room. The mixing machines are in the room that's just for mixing. If a software has a solution for multiple machines, i use it, some companies you buy more licenses or with UAD hardware you just put it into the other machine.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

I bought their first plugin and it is used here and there...but less and less. Personally, I find that a combination of dynamic EQ and TDR transient smoother gives me much better results.

With ilok attached to this one I won't even try. After numerous attempts to resurrect my ilok(d) Flux bundle I decided to never make investments with this garbage-protection between me and my music.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrohn View Post
Greetings from oeksound! I'm Tommi Gröhn, the lead developer of spiff and I'm happy to answer your questions here. Seems like you beat us to it with a good margin

This is what we were planning to say about spiff:

Spiff is our take on being the one-stop transient control tool for sound production, mixing and mastering work. It adapts to the source material on-the-fly and applies the processing precisely on the frequencies that make up the transients.

The initial motive behind designing spiff was to create a transparent and easy-to-use tool for taming mouth clicks and hard consonants, as engineers still typically rely on editing them out by hand – i.e. to free time for the creative work. As we got spiff tweaked to handle the vocal tracks transparently, it also turned out to be a versatile tool for attenuating or boosting the transient detail on wide range of materials. spiff catches the transients exactly as they happen and applies its processing only to the frequencies that contribute to the transients' energy. This combination of excellent time and frequency precision makes spiff an unique tool for manipulating the transients on complex sound sources and even full mixes. spiff is level-independent, which makes it adapt well to the dynamics of the source material, independent of the gain staging.

spiff is useful in a number of use cases. Setting it up to operate in cut mode on the high frequency range can be used to subtly smoothen the occasional spikes on a vocal track while retaining the pleasant top end sheen. However, spiff is not just about making the transients smooth. spiff can be flipped over to boost mode to emphasize the articulation of a rap vocal, for example.

spiff is a versatile tool especially for those who have to fix things in a mix, and it can shine on for example to:
- suppress excessive hard consonants and mouth noises, especially with close-miked vocals
- unobtrusively restore the lost dynamics and liveliness in sound material due to bad recording techniques or overprocessing
- add body to just the transient part of a drum track or acoustic instrument tracks without adding mud
- dynamically widen the stereo image by boosting transients on the side channel
- make aggressively strummed acoustic guitar tracks sit better in the mix
- add beef to electric guitar pick attack
- shorten the envelope of drum samples and percussion loops

We feel that being able to control the transients this way in both time and frequency opens up a whole new dimension in altering the sense of depth in a mix. Cutting out transient information can be used to push material back (instead of adding reverb), while dialing in detail can really help bring instruments forward in a mix.

With spiff we felt that the freedom of creative abuse should be left to the user. The parameters offer a extensive range of adjustment which also makes spiff a powerful sound design tool.

spiff also features a number of features that will eventually also end up in soothe:
- M/S processing
- resizable user interface
- A/B copy and comparison of the plugin settings
- revised EQ-usability with adjustable band modes
- ability to listen to the frequency range the selected EQ band is affecting

You can download spiff here:
https://oeksound.com/plugins/spiff/

Let us know what you think!

Tommi Gröhn
oeksound
Looks good, do you guys do a discount for owners of Soothe?
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear
Was using SPL transient designer on a troublesome vocal.. this clearly handled the job better
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
I'm no iLok loyalist by any means. In fact, I quite despise the company. But, I just accept it's something I have to live with.
OBI-WAN: That's your uncle talking.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Addict

iLok? Won't be buying your new plugin and will sell my Soothe license...Not nice to change this.
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
I bought their first plugin and it is used here and there...but less and less. Personally, I find that a combination of dynamic EQ and TDR transient smoother gives me much better results.

With ilok attached to this one I won't even try. After numerous attempts to resurrect my ilok(d) Flux bundle I decided to never make investments with this garbage-protection between me and my music.
I understand that you're probably not gonna jump on this because of Ilok, just wanted to point out that Soothe was not intended to take care of transients like TDR Deedger, Spiff however...
Old 11th April 2018
Holy cow this thing is really cool on dull drums.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Holy cow this thing is really cool on dull drums.
Doldrums.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

PLEASE don’t turn this thread in an iLok useless battle.
It’s been plenty demonstrated that iLok works well and better on multiple machines with no need for a dongle. Now with the online option is definitely an advantage for us users too in comparison with other systems.

iLok is fine and professionals have nothing to be against. If you need to express your concern please email the company directly and leave this thread for actual discussion and questions about the plugin.

Your anti-iLok contribution is the most useless part of the thread and people don’t give a shed what your favorite authorization process is.
Old 11th April 2018
Aaaaand it's a phenomenal de esser, which is timely because I'm working on a heavy record that's sung in Mandarin and I've been struggling with the consonants. The singer likes a VERY bright vocal sound but the language is very sibilant-heavy, and too much de essing from my usual plugins was causing the lyrics to become obscured. Spiff is handling this amazingly well.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Guru
JEEZ!!! C'mon guys! Came on this thread to find out about a new product from a cutting edge developer. I have Acon and was wondering how this would be on mouth noises. The only mouth noises I'm hearing is iLok bitching.... God how useless! Can moderators please stop this from happening on a new product thread? This is everything I dislike about GS.....
Old 11th April 2018
FWIW - I have used iLok for 10 years now and never had a major issue - one small glitch period when they updated the ilok for a day - in fact I find it convenient - love the idea of the new plug, gonna test it out.

PS - took me under a minute to request my demo iLok authorization and activate it FWIW
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Here's a demo by a user! YouTube
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

I'm not happy about iLok either. It's not worth having a protracted internet argument over, but it is worth voicing the opinion in hopes that developers see that there is a subset of potential users who consider it a dealbreaker.
Soothe became one of my desert island plugins within minutes of installing it and Spiff certainly looks spiffy. Best of luck to Oeksound from here on out!
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
The only mouth noises I'm hearing is iLok bitching....
I just blew some Diet Coke outta my nose

Last edited by acmusic; 11th April 2018 at 11:13 PM..
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideByZero View Post
I'm not happy about iLok either. It's not worth having a protracted internet argument over, but it is worth voicing the opinion in hopes that developers see that there is a subset of potential users who consider it a dealbreaker.
NOPE. It's not worth it for an internet thread about the plugin. Your opinion about iLok is totally useless in this thread. How is the plugin? What does it do? How CPU efficient? What are your tricks using this plugin? That's all that matters in this thread.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search