The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oeksound spiff - An adaptive transient processor Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
JEEZ!!! C'mon guys! Came on this thread to find out about a new product from a cutting edge developer. I have Acon and was wondering how this would be on mouth noises. The only mouth noises I'm hearing is iLok bitching.... God how useless! Can moderators please stop this from happening on a new product thread? This is everything I dislike about GS.....
I'lok into it.

Old 23rd November 2018
Here for the gear

Tried it and liked it, but remembered that I have Trans X by WAVES and that it's multimode basically does the same thing (while also keeping the option of boosting and cutting different frequencies transients) . Any thoughts ? did anyone compare results ?
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Maniac

I demo'd Trans-X from Waves and didn't care for it. I had always preferred Transient Master from NI and then later the Elysia nvelope. The latter offers a 2 band transient modulator but with very limited control. To me, the Waves one didn't sound as musical to me. Perhaps the way the envelope control was set or the way they did crossovers. I never thought I needed frequency dependent transient control until...Spiff. Spiff is in a different ball park too , very precise control but also very quick and musical. "Want to add a snappin' crack to a snare? No problem, I spiff it up with a 4-7k boost with the curve. Now it sounds spiffy."
I have other waves products that I like, I just never really cared for the effect of Trans-X
Of course audio is always subjective
Old 26th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
I demo'd Trans-X from Waves and didn't care for it. I had always preferred Transient Master from NI and then later the Elysia nvelope. The latter offers a 2 band transient modulator but with very limited control. To me, the Waves one didn't sound as musical to me. Perhaps the way the envelope control was set or the way they did crossovers. I never thought I needed frequency dependent transient control until...Spiff. Spiff is in a different ball park too , very precise control but also very quick and musical. "Want to add a snappin' crack to a snare? No problem, I spiff it up with a 4-7k boost with the curve. Now it sounds spiffy."
I have other waves products that I like, I just never really cared for the effect of Trans-X
Of course audio is always subjective
I really liked Spiff as well, but tried adding low mid transients with both Spiff and Trans X in Multi band and got same results. I will check on some more material soon
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Try that same comparison test with a clap or electronic sounding snare.
Old 26th November 2018
I learned one cool trick with it recently, it works great on very heavily compressed vocals softening the high frequency spikes, very up front vocals but smooth at the same time
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Cyjanopan,
Great tip. I've had problems with transients when squashing vox before, I didn't think to smooth it out with spiff.
I just tried it.
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Addict

I have the version 1.1.1 on mac and logic. The boost is functioning correctly, the delta also, however the cut is not doing anything at 100% mix, even with extreme settings there is no change in sound at all. Strange...Does anybondy have this problem too?
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Is there a way to remove the ringing happening at or around the cutoff frequency when using higher order filters (LP or HP)?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search