The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oeksound spiff - An adaptive transient processor Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Soothe is cut only.
True, but you can use it in parallel and then turn the delta function on to get it to boost -- obviously there's an extra step there, but it can be useful from time to time.

Last edited by justifiednoise; 22nd April 2018 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: a word
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I'll buy it. PM me
Thanks for the offer, a friend uses it now though. Sorry
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justifiednoise View Post
True, but you can use it in parallel and then turn the delta function on to get it to boost -- obviously there's an extra step there, but it can be useful from time to time.
Interesting. I think of Soothe as a tool which automatically attenuates resonances to make the overall sound better. Just because filter sharpness/selectivity are set low doesn’t necessarily mean it is an analogous result to changing filter width or magnitude with a traditional dynamic eq. But adding more of those nasty resonances by mixing in delta...Hmm. A creative effect? Will give it a shot.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Addict

If you turn down selectivity then it will choose resonances less and choose more of the overal sound as it is prior to soothe. That will help to boost the sound in a more overall manner.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Well, in fairness, it’s all drum machines and quantized patterns. So yea, clinical.
I don't think that's what he is taking issue with.its the spectral processing artefacts from the adaptive processing.either some people can't hear them,or they are a love and hate thing

I could see myself using this in a creative context as part of sound design but definitely not for its intended purpose as some kind of "fix"tool.i can't see how this can fix anything when it replaces one set of issues with another (spectral artefacts)

The developer chimed in to say that they shouldn't be audible when you set certain parameters below the 50% mark..i dunno what he monitors on,but its still very much audible.i think a more honest response would be is that "it lessens them"it's still there though regardless

So to reiterate,potentially great for sound design,not very good as a transparent process for use in mixdowns,mastering etc (i'd be very pissed if somebody used this on one of my masters as it changes the colour and shape of transients quite audibly beyond the intended processing itself.as is the nature of spectral processing)
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I don't think that's what he is taking issue with.its the spectral processing artefacts from the adaptive processing.either some people can't hear them,or they are a love and hate thing

I could see myself using this in a creative context as part of sound design but definitely not for its intended purpose as some kind of "fix"tool.i can't see how this can fix anything when it replaces one set of issues with another (spectral artefacts)

The developer chimed in to say that they shouldn't be audible when you set certain parameters below the 50% mark..i dunno what he monitors on,but its still very much audible.i think a more honest response would be is that "it lessens them"it's still there though regardless

So to reiterate,potentially great for sound design,not very good as a transparent process for use in mixdowns,mastering etc (i'd be very pissed if somebody used this on one of my masters as it changes the colour and shape of transients quite audibly beyond the intended processing itself.as is the nature of spectral processing)
Thanks for your feedback, I get your point. In corrective use, spiff can indeed have unwanted side-effects on some settings and in some cases it’s completely unnecessary. Your transients can be just fine without any additional processing, it completely depends on the case.

I think the most important thing to assess here is whether the effect is ”net positive” in your use, meaning that it solves a bigger problem at the expense of introducing a smaller one. Any processing involves some tradeoffs, otherwise the magic ”make everything sound better” knob would already exist.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrohn View Post
Thanks for your feedback, I get your point. In corrective use, spiff can indeed have unwanted side-effects on some settings and in some cases it’s completely unnecessary. Your transients can be just fine without any additional processing, it completely depends on the case.

I think the most important thing to assess here is whether the effect is ”net positive” in your use, meaning that it solves a bigger problem at the expense of introducing a smaller one. Any processing involves some tradeoffs, otherwise the magic ”make everything sound better” knob would already exist.
I guess "smaller"is a matter of context and perspective
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I guess "smaller"is a matter of context and perspective
Definitely!
Old 27th April 2018
Here for the gear

Version 1.0.2 available

Version 1.0.2 is now available!

This update has some CPU optimizations, which can result in roughly 10-20% performance improvement, depending on the hardware.

oeksound | plug-ins you actually need
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Would it be possible in an update to asssign boost or cut per band?
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

....ok... i tried it a little more...

As a transient enhancer its simply WOW!!!
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
Both are excellent though and I shall be buying one or the other at the end of their iLok demos.
Ended up going with Spiff.

It solves a lot of common problems and opens up a lot of new possibilities for me. The introductory pricing was the deal breaker.
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Addict

this is genius. sound design, drums, vocals, synths.
really good sounding too, way better than other transient processors I´ve tried.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Oh yeah! How do i Facelift my drum sounds.. kick.. snare.. claps.. I SPIFF them up..!
It's like removing 20 years of dust from drum samples.. Amazing.
Such a creative tool on samples.. loops.. synths..

Last edited by jsblack; 3rd May 2018 at 01:09 AM..
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Would be really neat to get the "Trim" after the "Mix" in the chain ( as an option?.. )
Awesome Spiff....
Old 16th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Would be really neat to get the "Trim" after the "Mix" in the chain ( as an option?.. )
Awesome Spiff....
Thanks! Unfortunately, we can't add any parameters in an update without breaking backwards session compatibility. But we can definitely consider this option for the next major version of spiff!
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Night View Post
AFAIK Soothe has never been cracked. So the protection system he was using must have been working pretty well. I had no problems with it.
I hope you’re right... I doubt that you are, though
Old 24th May 2018
Just one thing to say:
Soothe is amazing (the more I use it, the more I like it)
Spiff is amazing (used it only for dialogue and some clicky percussions for the moment, but it's incredible). As an enhancer, it's just insane.

Thanks oeksound, just carry on !!!
Old 24th May 2018
Here for the gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felon View Post
Just one thing to say:
Spiff is amazing (used it only for dialogue and some clicky percussions for the moment, but it's incredible). As an enhancer, it's just insane.

Thanks oeksound, just carry on !!!
Thanks, that’s very nice to hear!

We just released 1.0.3 that fixes initial fade-in when using Reaper render queue. There is also new presets for vocals, drums and dynamic stereo imaging.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

I love the iLok, its so delicious <3
Old 29th May 2018
Here for the gear

spiff v1.0.4 released

Hi all,

version 1.0.4 is now released. Most importantly, this update fixes the stereo link that has not been working as expected since version 1.0.2.

Download link:
https://oeksound.com/downloads/spiff/
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just one thing to say:
I agree felon, i can use it like an EQ to really bring out the snap of a clap or the pluck of a guitar without bringing out transients in a range that not helpful. I've used it for corrective and creative applications alike. I keep the decay short and don't have any artifacts that bother me.
Old 2nd June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
I agree felon, i can use it like an EQ to really bring out the snap of a clap or the pluck of a guitar without bringing out transients in a range that not helpful. I've used it for corrective and creative applications alike. I keep the decay short and don't have any artifacts that bother me.
Yes Chris, good stuff there ! So, do you always keep the decay short ? It's one of my recurrent wonderings.
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes Chris, good stuff there ! So, do you always keep the decay short ? It's one of my recurrent wonderings.
I typically keep decay short because Spiff is made for transients.
If I'm doing corrective work, softening some transients, it will usually be on the short side for decay.

I'll keep it short for increasing transients unless I'm going for a more creative application. With the delta control, I can hear exactly what its doing. With the
clap sound for instance, it will sound nice with a longer decay. A clap isn't a real instrument and people dont think of it as sounding an exact way like a piano or voice so it's easy to be creative with certain sounds/tracks and take liberties with the length of the decay.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrohn View Post
Thanks! Unfortunately, we can't add any parameters in an update without breaking backwards session compatibility. But we can definitely consider this option for the next major version of spiff!
Pshh, what you guys actually use proper semantic versioning?
Old 5th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
Pshh, what you guys actually use proper semantic versioning?
The next major revision will be 2.0.0, which won't be backwards compatible and will be a separate binary too. We wan't all our minor versions and patches to be compatible in either direction within the same major version to avoid any session recall issues.
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear

spiff 1.1.1 available

Hi,

we have a new version of spiff available.

Most importantly, we were able to reduce the CPU usage around 30% on Mac and up to 60% on Windows. At the same time, the algorithm has been tweaked for minimal artefacts when using high sensitivity. The minimum phase mode has also been polished and it's also the new "factory default" phase mode.

This means that the updated version will not sound exactly the same as the previous version, but this time we think that the improvements overweight the exact recallability. Session recall works fine in either direction and the sound should be pretty much the same - just with less artefacts with extreme settings. In any case, if you need bit-perfect recall, we have left the previous installer available for download.

spiff 1.1.0 change log:
- significant optimizations, up to 60% lower CPU hit on Windows and 30% on Mac
- improved detection algorithm for less artefacts with high sensitivity and sharpness
- improved minimum phase mode, with more accurate response when using low oversampling and small window settings
- new factory default preset, spiff now defaults to boost mode and minimum phase
GUI updates
- configurable gain range for boost / reduction graph
- increased frequency resolution in processing visualization
- optimized drawing
- side arrow keys can be used to navigate to preset menu subfolders

Download link:
oeksound | plug-ins you actually need
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I can't even tell that I loaded spiff by looking at the asio meter. I could probably run a 1000 instances with out a hit. Great job.
Old 20th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
I can't even tell that I loaded spiff by looking at the asio meter. I could probably run a 1000 instances with out a hit. Great job.
Thanks Chris!
Old 20th November 2018
Here for the gear

Black Friday sale

There seems to be increasing number of questions dropping regarding our Black Friday sale.

Our sale begins on Black Friday. During the sale period, soothe and spiff will be available for 99€ each.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search