The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oeksound spiff - An adaptive transient processor Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
To all the people knocking iLok...perhaps if "oeksound soothe c__ck" wasn't the second Google search result then they wouldn't have needed to go that route?

If people were just a bit more honest with their software use and paid for the tools they used then PACE would cease to exist. But unfortunately, people will steal whenever they can get away with and down go the sales.

Carry on...
I glanced at your post and saw “perhaps if ‘oeksound soothe c__ck’ wasn't the second Google search result...”
I thought that people were doing an X-rated Google search because they wanted to soothe their c_ck!
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrohn View Post
Greetings from oeksound! I'm Tommi Gröhn, the lead developer of spiff and I'm happy to answer your questions here. Seems like you beat us to it with a good margin

This is what we were planning to say about spiff:

Spiff is our take on being the one-stop transient control tool for sound production, mixing and mastering work. It adapts to the source material on-the-fly and applies the processing precisely on the frequencies that make up the transients.

The initial motive behind designing spiff was to create a transparent and easy-to-use tool for taming mouth clicks and hard consonants, as engineers still typically rely on editing them out by hand – i.e. to free time for the creative work. As we got spiff tweaked to handle the vocal tracks transparently, it also turned out to be a versatile tool for attenuating or boosting the transient detail on wide range of materials. spiff catches the transients exactly as they happen and applies its processing only to the frequencies that contribute to the transients' energy. This combination of excellent time and frequency precision makes spiff an unique tool for manipulating the transients on complex sound sources and even full mixes. spiff is level-independent, which makes it adapt well to the dynamics of the source material, independent of the gain staging.

spiff is useful in a number of use cases. Setting it up to operate in cut mode on the high frequency range can be used to subtly smoothen the occasional spikes on a vocal track while retaining the pleasant top end sheen. However, spiff is not just about making the transients smooth. spiff can be flipped over to boost mode to emphasize the articulation of a rap vocal, for example.

spiff is a versatile tool especially for those who have to fix things in a mix, and it can shine on for example to:
- suppress excessive hard consonants and mouth noises, especially with close-miked vocals
- unobtrusively restore the lost dynamics and liveliness in sound material due to bad recording techniques or overprocessing
- add body to just the transient part of a drum track or acoustic instrument tracks without adding mud
- dynamically widen the stereo image by boosting transients on the side channel
- make aggressively strummed acoustic guitar tracks sit better in the mix
- add beef to electric guitar pick attack
- shorten the envelope of drum samples and percussion loops

We feel that being able to control the transients this way in both time and frequency opens up a whole new dimension in altering the sense of depth in a mix. Cutting out transient information can be used to push material back (instead of adding reverb), while dialing in detail can really help bring instruments forward in a mix.

With spiff we felt that the freedom of creative abuse should be left to the user. The parameters offer a extensive range of adjustment which also makes spiff a powerful sound design tool.

spiff also features a number of features that will eventually also end up in soothe:
- M/S processing
- resizable user interface
- A/B copy and comparison of the plugin settings
- revised EQ-usability with adjustable band modes
- ability to listen to the frequency range the selected EQ band is affecting

You can download spiff here:
https://oeksound.com/plugins/spiff/

Let us know what you think!

Tommi Gröhn
oeksound
Downloaded, installed verified demo with zero issues... will try this weekend... my voice has a strange spike occasionally in the upper mids that hereto has required me to listen to every vox track in solo and hand draw automation and it literally stomps on the nutz of my creative flow every session.

Will test in depth this week!
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
To all the people knocking iLok...perhaps if "oeksound soothe c__ck" wasn't the second Google search result then they wouldn't have needed to go that route?

If people were just a bit more honest with their software use and paid for the tools they used then PACE would cease to exist. But unfortunately, people will steal whenever they can get away with and down go the sales.

Carry on...
Word. I’d honestly love to see an asterisk next to everybody's username that has cr*cked stuff installed... I’d bet we’d see a lot of ***

No * here
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Word. I’d honestly love to see an asterisk next to everybody's username that has cr*cked stuff installed... I’d bet we’d see a lot of ***

No * here
lol i bet 99% of people bitching about iloks either crack most of their plugins or are too cheap to pay $30 to get one.

iLok has made my life way easier. Being able to take my licenses anywhere I want is amazing.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
lol i bet 99% of people bitching about iloks either crack most of their plugins or are too cheap to pay $30 to get one.

iLok has made my life way easier. Being able to take my licenses anywhere I want is amazing.
A lot us, ( myself included ) have been bitten by ilok. And it won't happen again. Accusing those who bring this issue up as thieves or cheap, seems a bit petty. Maybe you know those folks - we don't.
Anyway, add our name to the list of those disappointed.
Respectfully to the developer, we hope you find another solution as this plug sounds like a tool we could use.
Cheers.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Downloaded, installed verified demo with zero issues... will try this weekend... my voice has a strange spike occasionally in the upper mids that hereto has required me to listen to every vox track in solo and hand draw automation and it literally stomps on the nutz of my creative flow every session.

Will test in depth this week!
It actually, really (this is what literally means) stomps on nutz of a metaphore? Amazing. Also a bit disconcerting. :-D

I just worked with a clicky, hard consonant vocalist that might be similar to what you're describing. Needed lots of automation. I was suspecting this might work for that type of scenario. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Old 15th April 2018
Has anyone compared this to Elysia nvelope? It seems like it does the same thing no? I spend way too much time manually de essing and de clicking so a plugin that could at least catch some of this without negative artifacts would be amazing. Unfortunately Im not sure I can trust software to decide which transients to attenuate and by how much. Usually each one needs its own unique automation. Ill give this try though for sure
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgechon View Post
Has anyone compared this to Elysia nvelope? It seems like it does the same thing no? I spend way too much time manually de essing and de clicking so a plugin that could at least catch some of this without negative artifacts would be amazing. Unfortunately Im not sure I can trust software to decide which transients to attenuate and by how much. Usually each one needs its own unique automation. Ill give this try though for sure
Elysia nvelope is my personal favourite of all analog-modeling transient shapers. It can add some very nice springy spank when the source calls for it. Part of the magic of analog-style transient shapers is how the very brief initial part of the attack ”bleeds” to the sustain portion, making the sustain boost sound like a special kind of compression with very fast (but not zero) attack.

As I see it, nvelope would be the best fit for giving a turbo boost for already healthy sounding tracks, whereas spiff is intended as a repair tool for complex problems.

But as always, let your ears decide what suits best the problem at hand.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Are there presets? I thought I read mention of them existing in this thread, but, my build seems not to have them

(Windows 10 64 bit)
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyhouse View Post
A lot us, ( myself included ) have been bitten by ilok. And it won't happen again.
Precisely this. I lost all trust in PACE. I'm as likely to use the "new and improved" ilok software as I would be to line my walls with a "new and improved" version of Asbestos.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Nut

Most of the soundcloud links here are private and don't appear to show up properly using the soundcloud tags, so I just had to put the url for those.

To answer the question regarding comparison of Spiff with nvelope, softube, and the like: Spiff has a way wider range of action and much more control over the sound of the transient processing than any other transient processor I've used including those mentioned. Although Spiff works as well as other transient processors, I feel it's benefit is more when you want to not only enhance a transient but design it's specific sound.

Here's a bunch of examples I put together. Please note that Spiff is capable of working transients way outside of your typical transient processor - it has a wide range of usage. These examples utilize the wider range of transient capabilites.

I mainly do electronic music (not EDM!) so my sources are all electronic synth sequence type sounds. Also note these examples are not meant to find the best sounding results but rather to experiment with what Spiff can do. I am not claiming the wet sounds better.

Here is Spiff controlling transiets on an algorythmic drum machine. I used two instances in series, one doing cuts and one doing boosts.

oeksound Spiff with Microtonic (boost/cut, dry then wet) by music of plexus | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Here is an example using boost to tone-shape transients in specific ranges.

oeksound Spiff with SubBoomBass (boost, dry then wet) by music of plexus | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I am finding that Spiff's delta is not only useful for narrowing in on specific bands but also as an effect in itself! In this example there are 16 bars each of dry, wet and delta only, one after the other. This is 3 tracks of TAL Mod sequencing and a track of drums. Spiff is on each synth track and tailored to that track. The drums are unaffected throughout:

Spiff Extreme Example by music of plexus | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Here 3 tracks processed each with their own Spiff. Then the tracks are mixed ar part of a song with a bunch of other sources so you can hear it in context. First the 3 track on their own, first dry and then through Spiff...

Spiff used in tracks in In Space there is Only One Shade of Grey by music of plexus | Free Listening on SoundCloud

And here is the final mixed song. it start using one of the tracks but the main use of them is at the 2:40 mark and 4:44 mark...

Last edited by plexus; 16th April 2018 at 05:54 AM..
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Are there presets? I thought I read mention of them existing in this thread, but, my build seems not to have them

(Windows 10 64 bit)
Thanks for reporting!

Just to double check, are you looking for presets from inside the plugin, not from the host/DAW? The preset menu shows up when you click the preset name from inside the plugin ("factory default preset" when you open the plugin for the first time).
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Really nice in Minimum phase mode.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just gotta say, I'm mastering my own record right now and I had accidentally deleted one of the mix sessions. I only had a pretty rough quick mix left to work with, which included poorly mixed drums. Spiff totally saved the day with the transient expansion, its kind of crazy! Both of these plugins have been bought, and thank you to the developers!
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Hmm ilok demo trouble - the spiff demo simply doesn't work in Wavelab 9 on my machine (Win7). I have several other ilok plugins working just fine, but spiff won't. In Reaper spiff runs as expected

I contacted support yesterday, but no answer yet.
Edit: just heard from oek support

::
Mads

PS: don't have a physical ilok, i use ilok license manager
For those interested in Wavelab compatility - I have received a new test version, from oeksound, where the issues I had has been solved

Last edited by mljung; 17th April 2018 at 09:24 PM..
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
Most of the soundcloud links here are private and don't appear to show up properly using the soundcloud tags, so I just had to put the url for those.

To answer the question regarding comparison of Spiff with nvelope, softube, and the like: Spiff has a way wider range of action and much more control over the sound of the transient processing than any other transient processor I've used including those mentioned. Although Spiff works as well as other transient processors, I feel it's benefit is more when you want to not only enhance a transient but design it's specific sound.

Here's a bunch of examples I put together. Please note that Spiff is capable of working transients way outside of your typical transient processor - it has a wide range of usage. These examples utilize the wider range of transient capabilites.

I mainly do electronic music (not EDM!) so my sources are all electronic synth sequence type sounds. Also note these examples are not meant to find the best sounding results but rather to experiment with what Spiff can do. I am not claiming the wet sounds better.

Here is Spiff controlling transiets on an algorythmic drum machine. I used two instances in series, one doing cuts and one doing boosts.

oeksound Spiff with Microtonic (boost/cut, dry then wet) by music of plexus | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Here is an example using boost to tone-shape transients in specific ranges.

oeksound Spiff with SubBoomBass (boost, dry then wet) by music of plexus | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I am finding that Spiff's delta is not only useful for narrowing in on specific bands but also as an effect in itself! In this example there are 16 bars each of dry, wet and delta only, one after the other. This is 3 tracks of TAL Mod sequencing and a track of drums. Spiff is on each synth track and tailored to that track. The drums are unaffected throughout:

Spiff Extreme Example by music of plexus | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Here 3 tracks processed each with their own Spiff. Then the tracks are mixed ar part of a song with a bunch of other sources so you can hear it in context. First the 3 track on their own, first dry and then through Spiff...

Spiff used in tracks in In Space there is Only One Shade of Grey by music of plexus | Free Listening on SoundCloud

And here is the final mixed song. it start using one of the tracks but the main use of them is at the 2:40 mark and 4:44 mark...

Jeez-o-man, prefer dry in each instance.
Old 18th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
I'd like to talk to them maybe at the Frankfurt fair. I need my stuff to be reliable to be ready to work when a client comes in. For example, i got three spare machines for recording in the studio where i can swap drives and go on in five minutes if one machine gets funky. (and my current machine is built good so i actually don't use these spare machines) It's not about money - it's just when i hear iLok i run. I'd be glad if i find a solution with Oeksound without the (proven) not-giving-a-F---attitude of iLok and my dependency on factors i can't control. The same with subscription models, constant online connections, dependency on servers elsewhere or - (insert cursing here) - data on clouds. I know my stuff around computers/electronics, i built one of my machines with the solder gun back then. I pay serious money for hardware and want serious effort and trouble free operation in return.
The last time I installed iLok Cloud or whatever it was for no dongle it wreaked havoc on my system and I was lucky to be able to restore it and not lose anything. Don't want to go through that again.

Don't really need Spiff but I use Soothe now regularly and I'm very alarmed to learn that this is going iLok as well. I guess that means that if/when I eventually need to reinstall it I'm screwed unless I want to risk iLok and their buggy DRMware again.

Wonderful news.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I had accidentally deleted one of the mix sessions
LOL!

Great to hear you managed, tho. Spiff sounds like an amazing plug.
Old 18th April 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Thank goodness it's ilok....proprietary challenge response drives me crazy.. for a PT user ilok plugins are heaven.

On the flipside, I was in the vast minority of those who didn't like soothe, regretted the purchase (god lesson to learn to demo anything rather than trust only an over enthusiastic forum), and have never used it in anything, because in every case, I got better results with alternative tools. Furthermore i find the EQ adjustment unergonomic.. Simple interface but a pain to use.

Hope spliff has improved in that regard, and since i am a transient designer addict, will be checking it out. One of my favourites is the incredible and underrated schwa dyno, which i can turn multiband via blue cat MB-7.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Nut

I feel the same as you about Soothe. I really wanted to get it but couldn't justify it compared to other tools I have. But Spiff is worth it to me. However I am tending to push it into other realms that typical transient processors can't achieve. That's just my perspective on it and intended use. I have many other "normal" transient processors for easy lifting tasks. I like using Spiff to completely transform sounds into other sounds. To me this is one of the strong points of Spiff. Although I think the dev want's people to think of it withing the usual realm of transient processing and maybe why some people are confused about the sounds I am creating with it.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
What does it do? How CPU efficient? What are your tricks using this plugin?
Haven't tested it enought yet but one thing I can say is that it's very heavy on my CPU. It's also got over 4000 samples of latency.

As with the Soothe plugin I wish it had a zero latency light CPU mode.
Old 18th April 2018
Here for the gear

Smile

Honestly, it's much much more than a regular Transient Shaper....Making Presets and using it in so many different ways .....

I was thinking of Making 10 - 15 Basic Presets Free for Everyone, but then I got so much Involved that I completed around 50 Presets....Get it for a No-brainer $5

Buy Here - Embrays Designs - Oeksound Spiff

50 Templates to Clean, Beef Up, Tighten, Widen, Stereo Space your Tracks.....and then Use the Depth and Decay knob to further Improve your Sounds....

See Video -
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

No confusion...

This guy's A/Bs are good. Almost without exception B is objectively improved.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Dont like all that I hear in the above examples.

Some improvements on some parts, but not impressed.

Sounds gets too clinical for my taste.

Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Well, in fairness, it’s all drum machines and quantized patterns. So yea, clinical.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

I wasn't referring to the sound itself

Old 19th April 2018
Gear Addict

I personally don't have much use for transient shaping creatively - I use it mainly to correct problems in a recording. Spiff is AMAZING at fixing bass drum spill in live tracking. I am finding it excels at being transparent when the sidechain filters are set very carefully. I certainly prefer the minimal artefacts I hear with spiff than with other transient shapers. For the music I work on (jazz mainly) this is a godsend.
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

Carry on...
AFAIK Soothe has never been cracked. So the protection system he was using must have been working pretty well. I had no problems with it.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
As much as Oeksound has done it again getting me to want a plugin as bad as can be but - iLok is (again and again) a disaster waiting to happen for those who have paying clients that need work on time and 100% reliable.
Really? I’ve been on iLok since day 1 and have never lost one minute of work time due to iLok.
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Really? I’ve been on iLok since day 1 and have never lost one minute of work time due to iLok.
Yeah. Same here. Soothe is great. Must demo this as soon as i have the time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search