The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oeksound spiff - An adaptive transient processor Dynamics Plugins
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Funny, I had two different authorization failures with Soothe that were (well, the second time) fixed with updates (this and Acustica being the only companies I’ve ever had authorization issues with). I have well over a hundred iLok authorizations and have never had any issues there.

Excited to try the plug-in, as soothe is certainly unique and delivers unique results.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
I understand that you're probably not gonna jump on this because of Ilok, just wanted to point out that Soothe was not intended to take care of transients like TDR Deedger, Spiff however...
Yes, this is why I said that I like using dynamic EQ together with TDR Deedger.
Sometimes I'd set up Melda Dynamic EQ (still my favorite), followed by TDR NOVA and then stick TDR Deedger at the end. I can't think of a better combo to handle any sonic disturbances.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

I'm a huge fanboi of soothe and use it all the time, but after spending 30 seconds with spiff I can confidently say that I will be using ten times as often as I do soothe.

huge thank you to oeksound for making the most innovative and musical mixing tools I've touched in many, many years.

nothing but good things to say on this end. cheers.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

so far i dont like the handling!

1. you should be able to boost/cut seperately!
2. listening to bands while rightclicking!
3. changing the q reversed on the mousewheel like all other plugins!

also i dunno if this plugin makes soothe obsolete?
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Yes, this is why I said that I like using dynamic EQ together with TDR Deedger.
Sometimes I'd set up Melda Dynamic EQ (still my favorite), followed by TDR NOVA and then stick TDR Deedger at the end. I can't think of a better combo to handle any sonic disturbances.
Thanks for sharing
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaiken View Post
Looks good, do you guys do a discount for owners of Soothe?
I would also like to know this!
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanandroid View Post
I would also like to know this!
Me too. instant buy if so.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Head

+1
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

I've been playing with the demo and it's amazing but I have one question: This can only adjust the transient portion of notes correct? There's no way to adjust the sustain? Seems like a missed opportunity if it's possible, as other (non-spectrally based) transient designers on the market now can adjust the sustain portion of a note as well.

Excited for your thoughts though Oek. Big fan of your plugs!
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Giving this a go and can say this is a great follow up to Soothe! ++
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

This things great! Would be awesome to have a function on this to “group” the plugins parameters to another instance on another replicated track. So one could be delta and one not. I’m doing this now and am right down the rabbit hole, but sounding amazing!
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

I'm not that concerned about not having a sustain control because I have a number of tools that get me 90-95% of the way there when it comes to scultping the attack and sustain of a sound. Spiff is basically going to function as the last plugin in my chain after I have my kick, snare, or other transient material, all dialed in.

Instead of needing several traditional tools to try to tame that last little bit of overwhelming or underwhelming smack in a sound, I'll just throw on spiff and it'll be done in seconds.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

So tired to hear ilok moaning... learn how to code stuff yourself jeesh. #basta
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Seems very interesting tool but as (if I understand well) Spiff is like a more sophisticated Soothe, I would expect a better intro pricing for Soothe buyers.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Very silly name for a very impressive plugin. Sounds terrific - is it me or does the actual filtering sound better than Soothe?

Will be buying. Not least because the authorisation was absolutely painless.

Wish list would be triggering from outside the 'active area' - using LF to trigger HF, say (adding click to a muddy bass drum, for example).

Great stuff, expect a purchase tomorrow.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Sounds terrific - is it me or does the actual filtering sound better than Soothe?
Same impression here.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

I am wondering what Spliff can do that cannot be already done with Sonnox Envolution?
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

Really Impressed

After playing with this for 10 minutes it was an instant purchase for me. Incredibly intuitive user interface, and it sounds great. It is by far the easiest to dial in of any transient designers I've tried.

Can already imagine so many uses for this thing.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Spliff
Freudian slip?
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very silly name for a very impressive plugin.
Not really, when you come to think about it.

Why ? you answered yourself ... (with another one user further explaining)

Quote:
Sounds terrific - is it me or does the actual filtering sound better than Soothe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
(if I understand well) Spiff is like a more sophisticated Soothe
Seems like Spiff is ... well, a SPIn-oFF (of soothe)

Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Ha, yes it does sound spiffing - dunno what that has to do with transients, but anyway....

It's the opposite/complimentary plugin to Soothe though. Soothe does resonances, this does transients.
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
so far i dont like the handling!

1. you should be able to boost/cut seperately!
2. listening to bands while rightclicking!
3. changing the q reversed on the mousewheel like all other plugins!

also i dunno if this plugin makes soothe obsolete?
Sorry to hear that, but I definitely get the point! Being able to cut and boost at the same time would be certainly possible to implement, but we ended up with this approach to make the full band operation as intuitive as possible. Other benefit of separate cut and boost modes is the ability to fine-tune stuff under the hood for each mode, as they tend to have somewhat different "sweet spots".

Listening to the bands is not currently possible with right-clicking, but you can listen to a band by holding down Alt while dragging it with the mouse.

Changing the Q with either mouse wheel or Cmd/Ctrl+drag has the same behaviour as soothe and we wanted to be consistent within the product range. We could definitely consider adding an global option to reverse the Q direction if preferred!

soothe and spiff are complementary to each other as spiff targets only transients and soothe only resonances. The underlying algorithms are very different compared to each other, even though the user interfaces have many things in common.
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmFuFu View Post
I've been playing with the demo and it's amazing but I have one question: This can only adjust the transient portion of notes correct? There's no way to adjust the sustain? Seems like a missed opportunity if it's possible, as other (non-spectrally based) transient designers on the market now can adjust the sustain portion of a note as well.

Excited for your thoughts though Oek. Big fan of your plugs!
Thanks, great to hear that you are getting pleasant results with our stuff!

We ended up to leave out the option to process the sustain/tonal part of the sound, just to avoid the feature bloat. So yes, that would be definitely possible to implement, but spiff has quite many controls already, and we wanted to keep it as intuitive as possible. Always interested though - do you have a particular use case in mind where you would like to target just the sustain part of the sound?
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrohn View Post
Always interested though - do you have a particular use case in mind where you would like to target just the sustain part of the sound?
Sorry jumping in but yes yes yes yes and yes. All the time.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry to come back repeatedly...

Possible bug. In Reaper, the first time you play something through Spiff (either as a track or item effect) it has a fade in of about half a second. Good thing I checked the renders!
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
do you have a particular use case in mind where you would like to target just the sustain part of the sound?
In mixing tasks, I use the sustain part of transient designer type effects a lot more often than the attack control.

Frankly, I was extremely surprised you didn't include that part in the processing..
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sorry jumping in but yes yes yes yes and yes. All the time.
Thanks for jumping in!

Just to clarify, I have many use cases in mind where it would be handy to be able to target just the sustain part in a frequency-dependent manner - one example could be to be able to tame a room mode without killing the punch. I'm particularly interested to hear what concrete use cases you have on your mind.

The good part is that the development is not over on this release. We can definitely consider this and all other great feature requests for the next major revision.
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
So yes, that would be definitely possible to implement, but spiff has quite many controls already, and we wanted to keep it as intuitive as possible. Always interested though - do you have a particular use case in mind where you would like to target just the sustain part of the sound?
Thanks for the answer. And great to hear that it's a possible addition! In short, having this kind of control over the transients made me wish for the same for the sustains.

I found that (even while playing with the demo for just a few minutes) I was able to make the transients pop in such a great way that it made me want to enhance them even further by shortening the sustains. But being able to lengthen the sustains would be equally important in a different situation.

It's a great tool, that I think could get even greater with control over sustains as well.

Cheers.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for jumping in!

Just to clarify, I have many use cases in mind where it would be handy to be able to target just the sustain part in a frequency-dependent manner - one example could be to be able to tame a room mode without killing the punch. I'm particularly interested to hear what concrete use cases you have on your mind.

The good part is that the development is not over on this release. We can definitely consider this and all other great feature requests for the next major revision.
For mixing:

1) Making desirable/undesirable parts of a Snare, Kick or a Tom, ring longer/or shorter.

2) Accent/lengthen certain frequencies (or "notes") of a bass line that is too thin

3) Give great sustain to any thin instruments

4) Make various weird sound sources sound almost synthetic/otherworldly by giving them unnatural sustain characteristics while killing the attack

Basically there are endless sound design applications.. way too many to list.

I suspect you've thought of the effect as a mastering/mix-polish sort of deal but just like with Soothe, the possible applications are way more numerous than that. Personally I've found Soothe to be much more usable in strange applications rather than what it was perhaps intended as.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Perhaps a boost mode in Soothe that would boost non ringing frequencies? Adding some timing elements there to better control the timing of either the boost or reduction.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search