The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg announces UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 interfaces Audio Interfaces
Old 10th April 2018
News Desk Editor

Steinberg announces UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 interfaces

Steinberg announces UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 interfaces-steinberg-urt-7987.jpg

The UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 are the result of the collaboration between Steinberg and Rupert Neve Designs. By factoring in the engineering expertise at Yamaha, these two exceptional USB audio interfaces deliver the “real thing,” providing pristine sound quality that equals that of high-end studios.

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH today announced the UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 audio interfaces that will be shipping from the beginning of June.

The UR-RT audio interfaces offer a production studio solution for any situation. The durable build quality of the casing is only surpassed by the quality of the components within, and the forefront are the implemented transformers by Rupert Neve Designs.

The name of Rupert Neve is synonymous with the highest quality in analog sound. The transformer circuitry used in the UR-RT was specifically developed for audio interfaces, and to this very day Rupert Neve Designs relies on its transformer design to lend the character sound a touch of natural compression and saturation.

“I’m very glad that we can work together with Steinberg. We are proud that we've helped move this type of sound quality and character into a new market and audience,” said Josh Thomas, general manager at Rupert Neve Designs.

The UR-RT2 comes with four inputs and two outputs, while the UR-RT4 boasts six inputs and four outputs. Both interfaces offer USB 2.0 and MIDI connectivity alongside a range of input/output options for laptop and iPad, as well as providing DSP-powered effects for zero-latency monitoring. Together with the studio-grade D-PRE preamps by Yamaha and the featured Rupert Neve Designs transformers, the UR-RT interfaces deliver an expressive sound with rich harmonics that can be captured through the included Cubase AI software.

Steinberg’s Senior Marketing Manager Stefan Schreiber commented: “We at Steinberg are very excited about this collaboration and the opportunity to utilize the legendary sound of Rupert Neve Designs in our trusted USB audio interfaces.”

Availability and pricing

The UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 audio interfaces will be available for purchase from resellers and through the Steinberg Online Shop from the beginning of June.

The suggested retail price for the UR-RT2 is 399 euros, including German VAT. The suggested retail price for the UR-RT4 is 649 euros, including German VAT.

Showcase at Musikmesse

Steinberg is exhibiting the UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 at the Musikmesse trade show in Frankfurt, Germany, from April 11–14. Attendees can find Steinberg on the Yamaha floor at Portalhaus.

UR-RT2 key features

• 24-bit/192 kHz USB 2.0 audio interface
• 2 Class-A D-PRE mic preamps supporting +48 V phantom power
• Rupert Neve Designs transformer switchable on each front input channel
• 2 analog XLR/TRS combo inputs (Hi-Z switch on input 1 for electric guitar), plus 2 TRS line inputs, headphones jack with independent level control
• Latency-free DSP-powered monitoring with REV-X reverb, Channel Strip, and Guitar Amp Classics (VST 3 plug-in version also included)
• dspMixFx editor application for Windows, macOS and iOS
• MIDI input and output
• Rugged full-metal housing
• Includes Cubase AI DAW software download version for Mac and PC (only for 64-bit environment) and Cubasis LE DAW app for iPad
• Cross-platform compatibility for Windows, macOS and iOS (with Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit, or Lightning to USB Camera Adapter or Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter)

UR-RT4 key features

• 24-bit/192 kHz USB 2.0 audio interface
• 4 Class-A D-PRE mic preamps supporting +48 V phantom power
• Rupert Neve Designs transformer switchable on each front input channel
• 4 analog XLR/TRS combo inputs (Mic/Hi-Z on input 1/2 and Mic/Line on input 3/4), plus 2 TRS line inputs, 2 separate headphone buses with individual outputs
• Latency-free DSP-powered monitoring with REV-X reverb, Channel Strip, and Guitar Amp Classics (VST 3 plug-in version also included)
• dspMixFx editor application for Windows, macOS and iOS
• MIDI input and output
• Rugged full-metal housing
• Includes Cubase AI DAW software download version for Mac and PC (only for 64-bit environment) and Cubasis LE DAW app for iPad
• Cross-platform compatibility for Windows, macOS and iOS (with Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit, Lightning to USB Camera Adapter or Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter)

For more information visit: Audio interfaces with Rupert Neve transformers: UR-RT Series | Steinberg
Attached Thumbnails
Steinberg announces UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 interfaces-steinberg-urt-7987.jpg  
Old 10th April 2018
hugely overpriced (due to R logo I think),I can have Focusrite Clarett 4Pre for 500 bucks with a alot more bang for the bucks.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

And you know this already without ever hearing them or using them?
Of features on pen and paper are all that count for you?
rsp
Old 10th April 2018
Looks good but overpriced, although maybe the preamps wort it.

ps: why not Musikmesse area this year?
Old 10th April 2018
Will we see a UR-RT824? Hopefully with better software, dspMix is very underwhelming when you get used to TotalMix FX.
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Looks good but overpriced, although maybe the preamps wort it.

ps: why not Musikmesse area this year?
Not enough new stuff to warrant it unfortunately. The show seems to be contracting a bit, which is a shame...
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Head
I still think RME BFP will sound better,doesent matter the Rupert Neve Designs transformers,the BFP is 24in/24out AI with expandable ADAT and SPDIF,powerful HP amps and great mix pre amps and AD/DA converters.The selling point obviously with the UR RT series is the transformers.Latency is questionable perhaps.
Old 11th April 2018
Not interested until I get more details about the D/A used and some measurements with Right Mark Audio Analyzer (should be standard to publish these for any new interface nowadays).
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARC Mastering View Post
Not interested until I get more details about the D/A used and some measurements with Right Mark Audio Analyzer (should be standard to publish these for any new interface nowadays).
I was curious about this as well and found the specs in their manual (as is usual for Steinberg) - http://download.steinberg.net/downlo..._Manual_en.pdf

Attached is a screenshot of the line and main outputs from the specs... 114db DA dynamic range indicates middle of the road converter chips/design and 102db on the AD (line inputs) seems very low for a 2018 interface. Its a pity they didnt use this opportunity to go higher end on them (especially considering the price). Ofcourse these are just numbers and dont indicate final sound, but they usually provide a pretty good indication of the ball park where they fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Steinberg announces UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 interfaces-screen-shot-2018-04-11-7.49.47-am.jpg  
Old 11th April 2018
Thanks! Does not look TOO impressive. But someone putting this through Right Mark Audio Analyzer would be great (what´s stereo-crosstalk like, IMD, etc.?). Without that, no way I´d be buying any new interface anyway.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear
These units are all about the sound of the input transformers. If they impart any sort of colour they will be worth the price of admission.
Old 11th April 2018
You can hear it here:

Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Design background:
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Japanese video with Vocal Pre off at 2m32s:

Vocal Pre On at 3m48s:

Acoustic Guitar at 6m39s
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Approx twice the price of the ur44 so 250 bucks for potentially 4 x neve - portico-ish sounding pre's would be a fantastic deal if it lives up to its own hype for those in the market. That's approx 63 bucks per pre over the ur44.
Old 11th April 2018
I wonder how the converters sound. Seems both units have exactly the same specs on I/O (dynamic range, THD etc.). I had both a UR824 and a UR28M and have tried 2 or 3 of the smaller UR models. There was a definitive difference between the converter quality of the UR824 and the others. While those on the UR28M were already pretty nice for that kind of product, those on the UR824 were outrageously good for the price and feature set of the unit. (My wife without any background in anything audio could pick the UR824 out from the others blindly with 100% success when simply playing back music through the various units.) If the converters of the UR-RN are on UR824 level, it would be awesome!
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Head

Is the latency still as bad as on the rest of the UR series?

Seems way overpriced for what it offers, doubt the transformer changes the sound that much.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Kind of offtopic, but is there no Musikmesse subforum?
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.r View Post
Kind of offtopic, but is there no Musikmesse subforum?
Addressed above...

Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Totally missed it. Sorry.
But maybe Superbooth then. :P
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

Why the news is tagged 'SW'?
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivell View Post
Is the latency still as bad as on the rest of the UR series?

Seems way overpriced for what it offers, doubt the transformer changes the sound that much.
Don't understand this one. What issue did you have with latency? I only ask because I still have a UR44 sitting in the cupboard and I never had an issue latency wise. Clearly not while tracking and not when mixing via laptop when on the road. Couldn't fault it when it was in use on a Macbook Pro.

Also too early to tell whether its worth the price or not. If it gets close to the character of Portico pre's then I'd def consider it if I was looking.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman View Post
Don't understand this one. What issue did you have with latency? I only ask because I still have a UR44 sitting in the cupboard and I never had an issue latency wise. Clearly not while tracking and not when mixing via laptop when on the road. Couldn't fault it when it was in use on a Macbook Pro.

Also too early to tell whether its worth the price or not. If it gets close to the character of Portico pre's then I'd def consider it if I was looking.

I have an UR824 and a RME Fireface. The Steinberg has at the same Buffersizes more than double the latencies than the RME AND I have to use a buffer size double as high as the RME to get the same performance than the RME. That means a 4 (!) time higher latency with a Steinberg interface in a Steinberg daw than with the Fireface.......

Needless to say that I use the UR824 only as Adat extension with the RME and that I won't ever buy a Steinberg interface again....
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
I have an UR824 and a RME Fireface. The Steinberg has at the same Buffersizes more than double the latencies than the RME AND I have to use a buffer size double as high as the RME to get the same performance than the RME. That means a 4 (!) time higher latency with a Steinberg interface in a Steinberg daw than with the Fireface.......

Needless to say that I use the UR824 only as Adat extension with the RME and that I won't ever buy a Steinberg interface again....
Never used it other than when on the road. That sucks if that’s your experience. Wonder if the
new one has had an update
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Totally agree that RME drivers outperform Yamaha's re: latency plus Total Mix is on another level compared to the dsp mixer of Steinberg/Yamaha.

That said, some months ago, frustrated with the bad latency and CPU performance, I got a RME UFX to compare to my lowly UR28m. Well, on my setup - Amphion One 15 - and in my room, I preferred the DA sound of the UR28 a thousand times over the RME conversion. For me it was all about the very distinctive transients that the UR28 was producing that pulled instruments forward and resulted in more prominent front to back depth. The RME sounded familiar to me since I used Firefaces for years - the sound was flatter and less exciting. So in the end, I decided that with the current monitoring and room, I will be sticking to Steinberg's Line and will upgrade the hardware to compensate for the bad driver latency performance.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

RME are ahead of everyone in the market, they are the best of the best when it comes to drivers. And the price points for the UR series interfaces is lower.

It’s like saying I will never buy another interface from “company X” again because they are no match with the Lynx Hilo.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
RME are ahead of everyone in the market, they are the best of the best when it comes to drivers. And the price points for the UR series interfaces is lower.

It’s like saying I will never buy another interface from “company X” again because they are no match with the Lynx Hilo.
I don't buy Steinberg interfaces anymore because they have latencies I can not work with and because they give a **** on their customers, not because the RME is better.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariva View Post
Totally agree that RME drivers outperform Yamaha's re: latency plus Total Mix is on another level compared to the dsp mixer of Steinberg/Yamaha.

That said, some months ago, frustrated with the bad latency and CPU performance, I got a RME UFX to compare to my lowly UR28m. Well, on my setup - Amphion One 15 - and in my room, I preferred the DA sound of the UR28 a thousand times over the RME conversion. For me it was all about the very distinctive transients that the UR28 was producing that pulled instruments forward and resulted in more prominent front to back depth. The RME sounded familiar to me since I used Firefaces for years - the sound was flatter and less exciting. So in the end, I decided that with the current monitoring and room, I will be sticking to Steinberg's Line and will upgrade the hardware to compensate for the bad driver latency performance.
One of our rigs still uses the MR816CSX. Still works perfectly after nearly 10 years, last driver update came end of 2017. the DPres on it still sound fantastic compared to similar priced products and above. Latency (Firewire) on new high spec PC is more than ok. We had 2x UFX and sold them within a year and invested in ADA2. Thing is we've never considered getting rid of the MR816. The UR44 we have sits in the cupboard until the rare occasion its needed on the road. Again, its a few years old now, rock solid and have not once thought of replacing it. We have 2 Nuendo and 2 Cubase rigs, Wavelab and a bunch of other Steinberg software, plus an old Yamaha N12 (jeeze that one really is getting old). Support has been great for the most part. I guess we all have different experiences.
Old 12th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofort View Post
Why the news is tagged 'SW'?
Fixed, thanks for the heads up!
Old 15th April 2018
Deleted User
Its a UR with a Rupert Neve input transformer bolted on, everything else, D-Pres etc all looks the same.

In Steinberg fashion the 2 and 4 channel will have the cheaper components and sound quality, if you want the good sound you will probably have to wait on the 8 channel unit Im thinking.

PLEASE DROP the UR title, its terrible. XR, MR, AR. etc. HAHA
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search