The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg announces UR-RT2 and UR-RT4 interfaces Audio Interfaces
Old 20th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris View Post
If you use Cubase, you can use Direct Monitoring, which is effectively latency-free.

I'm a very happy MR816 user and am interested to see if there is going to be a UR RT8 or something that represents an evolution from MR816 to UR824 to ???

Chris
That contributes nothing for folks that use virtual instruments.

With that being said, when I had the MR816, performance was pretty good.
Old 20th June 2018
It may not contribute anything to people who just use virtual instruments, but it does contribute directly to those who are concerned about the latency of the unit when recording audio.

That said, when I do use virtual instruments, I can get the latency down to a very usable amount.

Chris
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

Should I risk an Audient id14 over this one? Or better look at Presonus Studio68?
I don’t record guitar or voice... just sample the inputs ( ableton live on Mac )
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

It's basically the same thing as adding Rupert Neve RNDI's to the UR44 correct?
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Just curious, anyone care to report on how these sound?
Old 3rd October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Just curious, anyone care to report on how these sound?
I'm considering adding the 4 ch. as an additional coloration box to my setup for external synths. ATM I connect my synths to SSL's VHD preamps but as I "only" own a stereo pair it would be nice to avoid re-patching every time I switch synth.

I do not plan to use it as an interface so I don't care about RTL performance. But it's nice that you can connect an iPad to it to control the DSP.

Anyway, I've read through some public reviews online:
Reviewed: Steinberg UR-RT4 audio interface
Review: Steinberg UR-RT4 - Mixonline
Steinberg UR-RT2 Review - An Interface packed with Sonic Clout
Old 20th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
Should I risk an Audient id14 over this one? Or better look at Presonus Studio68?
I don’t record guitar or voice... just sample the inputs ( ableton live on Mac )
Hi
Any opinions on this one? Audient id14 vs RT2?

My signal goes through various pres before reaching the audio interface (tube) so its quite high gain. Which among the above has better conversion and better headroom?

Also does the Neve transformer add guitar/bass specific colours on the sound that might affect other instruments?
Old 21st October 2018
Lives for gear

Ended up with Id14 ...no regret! Mixer app for routing and levels...stable on Mac
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Recently picked one of these up to try out and it's going back.

I feel like they're taking the piss... What a weird way to use transformers!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 View Post
Its always better to have more headroom than a device that's limiting it. As I said before, I notice a significant differences between the Scarlett vs the Forte that are both USB interfaces made by the same manufacture. The Forte competes directly with the Apogee Duet 2 as its no comparison to the Scarlett range which is leaps head in conversion and mic pre performance. The Edirol UA-25EX that I had years ago, easily clips even with the gain turned half way or noisy if the signal going into it was low when I crank it. The Scarlett that replaced it was much better. Now, the Clarett 8 Pre is replacing my old Scarlett 18i20 which is also leaps ahead of it that's on the same level as my Forte with the exception being a Thunderbolt interface. The Scarlett and the UA-25EX are more on the low end budget side that you can still make decent recordings with. Rupert Neve's collaborations has generally been high end equipment, the specs are quite low for an interface by today's standards with the rest of the competition to add transformers to it. It would make better sense if those transformers were in the RME Babyface Pro, the Clarett or Apogee Duet 2. To me, it just doesn't fit right for the interface that was chosen to implement the design. Even the new AVB Motu interfaces are leaps ahead of the competition using the ESS Sabre 32bit DAC chip esp the new UltraLite-Mk4 thats about $595.
IMO,high end audio interfaces like RME,UAD,etc. don't implement "colourful" transformers,like Neve Designs,cause the people ,who use such interfaces,most probably have external mic pres,which they connect direct into the line ins.In my case I have the RME Babyface Pro along with Rupert Neve Designs RNDI-S,which is, placed,before the BFP's pre amps.The good thing with a separate DI box like the RNDI/S,is that I can use the Neve transformers with any mic pre ,after it(and I have a bunch of them),while with the UR RT series,one is stuck only with the D Pre's(which are super nice IMO and I have them too).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savana Violenta View Post
IMO,high end audio interfaces like RME,UAD,etc. don't implement "colourful" transformers,like Neve Designs,cause the people ,who use such interfaces,most probably have external mic pres,which they connect direct into the line ins.In my case I have the RME Babyface Pro along with Rupert Neve Designs RNDI-S,which is, placed,before the BFP's pre amps.The good thing with a separate DI box like the RNDI/S,is that I can use the Neve transformers with any mic pre ,after it(and I have a bunch of them),while with the UR RT series,one is stuck only with the D Pre's(which are super nice IMO and I have them too).
Yes and no. I actually use both. I have a selection of high end pre's and also use the the mic pre's (Unison tech built into the UAD Apollo interfaces - Neve, API, UA etc). They are not 100% emu's but they are certainly very very close. Recently upgraded the Apollo's for the new X8's. Great bang for buck IMO.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

I wonder if anyone with a UR-RT4 tried to print their ITB mix through the Transformers?

Going out with 1-2 or 3-4, then patching those pairs to a pair of Transformer line inputs on your mixbus. You could have that set up easily in ProTools as a Hardware Insert.

To be honest, that is the most intriguing feature. I normally produce and record elsewhere but in my home studio mix (mostly ITB with a few hardware effects that might be used). Maybe replacing VCC or NLS with a hardware patch would be intriguing.

Love to hear anyone's experience with that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search