The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Balance Mastering Analog Magpha EQ Plugin Equalizer Plugins
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
We do Black Friday in the UK.
That’s interesting. Doesn’t your Xmas shopping season start the day after Halloween?
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
We do Black Friday in the UK. It's the mass hysteria surrounding it that's more of a yankee thing.

I saw news of a fight over a TV between 2 blokes in a Bristol asda carpark, not quite the same but getting closer each year.
Old 18th November 2018
When I left the UK 20 years ago I'd never heard of Black Friday. Thought it was an American thing. Must have been mistaken!
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
When I left the UK 20 years ago I'd never heard of Black Friday. Thought it was an American thing. Must have been mistaken!
Apologies to everyone who knows this stuff already. Traditionally, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade ended with Santa Claus climbing a ladder into the second floor of the department store, thereby inaugurating the Xmas shopping season. The next day was the biggest shopping day of the year, and retailers moved their balance sheet “into the black”: they’d been “in the red” for the first 10+ months of the calendar. Hence “Black Friday”.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's only really become a thing over the last 10 years or so in the UK. To my knowledge it's still relatively new. At first I think only a few retailers were joining in, can't remember exactly when that was but I want to say around 7-10yrs ago approx.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
To my knowledge it's still relatively new
Nonsense, it's in full swing!

British Black Friday Chaos
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Nonsense, it's in full swing!

British Black Friday Chaos
I mean relatively new as in within the last 5 years or so, I lose track of time though. I know it's a full blown thing, didn't think that needed mentioning!
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Haha, just a joke, check the link
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, just a joke, check the link
Haha my apologies Robo I opened the video up but didn't press play. That really made me laugh.
Old 1st December 2018
Gear Head

Hi, if someone is interested, I’m looking to sell my Magpha licence. Let me know.
Old 1st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit D View Post
Hi, if someone is interested, I’m looking to sell my Magpha licence. Let me know.
How does transfering work? I have a license, so don't need one. Just curious
Old 8th December 2018
Here for the gear

I have tried to contact them regarding transferring of licenses four times the last month both through Facebook and the support mail but haven't heard from them yet. Earlier (july - august) they were really quick to respond through mail. They seem to have disappeared completely?

I am interested in selling the SpreadFocus EQ and possibly the Magpha EQ as well. Wanna know how it works (if it works)
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

Question why are you guys wanting to sell license? I tried this and really was not impressed.
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mato View Post
I have tried to contact them regarding transferring of licenses four times the last month both through Facebook and the support mail but haven't heard from them yet. Earlier (july - august) they were really quick to respond through mail. They seem to have disappeared completely?

I am interested in selling the SpreadFocus EQ and possibly the Magpha EQ as well. Wanna know how it works (if it works)
They do not give signals in the black friday, they do not respond to the messages of the users, in my opinion the price of the EQ is very high ... so it is difficult to trust them.
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Head

Hi all,

Everything is still going! Things have been super busy and the filter plugin is the main focus. I have had delays/issues that need ironing out for this though and is taking much longer than hoped. I hope to have things back moving (realistically) in the new year.

Re: default preset, Ill try add this for the next bunch of updates it should not be too difficult.

As mentioned on the plugin page and here, the best way to get in contact is to email me!

For anyone who’s contacted about transfers I did email back at the time, but please check spam as sometimes things may go there?

Thanks all,
John
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was in Egypt in November and they had it there.

America started the BF thing, but obviously it's caught on in several countries.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancemastering View Post
Hi all, thanks again for the support.

Apologies to the paid customers who also received demo mail alerts.

RE: HPF LPF

I have plans to make a separate plugin for HPF (with Q bump and separate side cut).

Not an LPF though. Occasionally I'll use a gentle shelf downwards in the highs or a peak at Nyquist, but never an LPF.

Interested to know:

Do people here use LPFs in mastering? If so, how?
Hey John,

since you're against HPF and LPF (Cuts anyway) would it be possible to have Shelf as an option on either sides? A real Mastering grade of 6dB/oct or 12 dB/oct max.? Or maybe those two to choose from?

Regarding Cut or Shelf - I'd say it's always best working with Shelf than Cut. Sound image is so much clearer when using Shelving EQ. Even if you drive it harder! Cut makes things in a special way. Anyway, it's my thinking and my humble experience anyway. So, I'm glad if this helps...

Of course, versatility in mode chaging is always more than welcome so both options are appreciated. ;-)

Best regards from Zagreb!

Krešo
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

Uh, sorry John, I just saw both on your web and here on GS that there ARE in fact Shelf Filters on both ends of Magpha!

My mistake.

Krešo
Old 27th January 2019
I have a request:

Build some AI features into this bad boy. I'm impressed with the descriptions of the filtering systems, but I wish that there was more positive feedback (all though, I have not read all of the comments and am basing this on some peoples' feedback on the first page).

What I'd like:

0) When you adjust a curve, the AI should make suggestions for 2 to 5 other curves, which do cuts & boosts in ways that are complimentary to whatever the user is dialing in... in order to attempt an automated system of achieving this complimentary behavior of curves in order to achieve maximum transparency. Users should be able to either accept or reject the AI suggestions, and to alter them after accepting... and their alterations should cause more AI suggestions. Users should be able to dial in the amount of the accepted AI suggestions (ie, make them less steep and more broad, etc).

I'd like to request an improvement to the shelving filters. The idea that I have is one that uses the ideas of Chris J from AirWindows (which Hermetech had asked for). His HermePass is a HPF which uses 6 poles in order to combine 6 filters into a system which has a very smooth and gradual roll-off. At lower settings, it starts with just 1 pole, and gradually adds more as the pass is raised. I believe the one that starts at the highest frequency is has the lowest slope, and they gradually become higher in sloping behavior.

I want this, but with low passing filters. And, I want a similarly designed one for high passing. I believe his HermePass is probably FOSS, so you could possibly view his code and mimic whatever proportional ratios of math is deciding where he points are, in relation to each other, and how the steepness smoothly increases as it goes lower.

And, of course, I have my own ideas of which I feel would be three or more steps in the right direction... but some of these things with AI might be best accomplished if you teamed up with one of the leaders of the market, in that area.

Include 0)

1) The curves should have options for being driven by dynamic levels of the input signal (perhaps, with either sidechain or the processed signal), in addition to the static behaviors, either compressing or expanding. It should be able to be turned off, and it should be able to be adjusted for total amount of dynamic behavior (perhaps, called ratio), as well as have adjustable threshold settings, and attack/release, lookahead.

2) The curves should be adjustable in a way that allows for the highest frequency to do the slightest amount of cutting, then the 2nd highest point is steeper cutting, the 3rd highest point, steepest cutting, 4th highest would be steepest boosting, 5th highest is less steep boosting, and the lowest frequency point would be the same small level of the smallest cutter, but instead boosting. It should be able to do the opposite of the above, high shelf boosting at 200 or 300 Hz, and highest boost around 100, then cutting at the points below that. Another step would be allowing the user to tell it to make the highest frequency point have the most steep cutting, making it less transparent, less of "smiley faces" or "frowny faces," and more like a boxy shaped result that looks a bit more similar to what Pro-MB could do, for example... but smoother, due to the multiple points.

3) When the user dials in a HPF, the AI should suggest a complimentary LPF, which is intended to maximize the effectiveness and musically pleasant results of what the user draws in.

4) If possible, an intelligent learning function should accurately measure the input audio and determine an intelligent guess as to what the key of the sound is, and what the fundamental note is. And, then if, say the user tries drawing in the low shelf cuts at a frequency that is higher than the fundamental, the plugin should let them know that they've gone above it and suggest that they stay below it.

5) The AI's intelligent learning of the melodic and harmonic content, key and fundamental note, should then have an option for causing a frequency dependent automatically moving behavior of the high and low shelving frequency points... so that, as certain notes are dominant, it will move the frequency points up and down, a little bit... in order to draw in adjusting curves that react to the music in real time. This, in combination with the dynamically driven behavior listed above... would be a new system that could take EQ to an entirely new level.

6) The low shelving should have a non-linear filtering system and the high shelving should have an accurate linear filtering system... both being optimized to work well what what they do.

7) I had another idea, and i was a very good one... but I forgot it, because 3 other ideas popped into the hea,d too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Hey John,

since you're against HPF and LPF (Cuts anyway) would it be possible to have Shelf as an option on either sides? A real Mastering grade of 6dB/oct or 12 dB/oct max.? Or maybe those two to choose from?

Regarding Cut or Shelf - I'd say it's always best working with Shelf than Cut. Sound image is so much clearer when using Shelving EQ. Even if you drive it harder! Cut makes things in a special way. Anyway, it's my thinking and my humble experience anyway. So, I'm glad if this helps...

Of course, versatility in mode chaging is always more than welcome so both options are appreciated. ;-)

Best regards from Zagreb!

Krešo
Randomly found your post in this, and I'll chip in my 2 cents (of course):

I agree, completely, with the point of shelves working better than passes.

However...

Just kidding, no "however."

But...

Again... wow, I am funny. Butts, but no buts.

As usual, I've waste time making posts when I should be doing other stuff.
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

John, this EQ is outstanding. It gets better the more I use it. Has anyone realised it goes from 6Hz to over 60kHz? I've been rolling off some harsh HFs with extreme high shelves. Very transparent when done that way, cleaning up that kind of etchiness the 10-20kHz band can have, but with the curve starting from further out. Also it's possible to bring out some genuine sub frequencies when needed. Mids sound good enough to be used as filter FX. Not to mention being able to do all of this easily in M/S. Excellent stuff.

Cheers
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
John, this EQ is outstanding. It gets better the more I use it. Has anyone realised it goes from 6Hz to over 60kHz? I've been rolling off some harsh HFs with extreme high shelves. Very transparent when done that way, cleaning up that kind of etchiness the 10-20kHz band can have, but with the curve starting from further out. Also it's possible to bring out some genuine sub frequencies when needed. Mids sound good enough to be used as filter FX. Not to mention being able to do all of this easily in M/S. Excellent stuff.

Cheers
Agreed! Very smooth. Sometimes too smooth, sometimes perfect.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search