The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Balance Mastering Analog Magpha EQ Plugin Equalizer Plugins
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancemastering View Post
Hi Thermos, thanks yes hoping to add shelves if it can fit with the existing code.
Cool, that would be rad.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I don't know about that, I just quickly tried to match settings with another eq and bells look pretty much identical with the default 0.7 Q on both. Maybe the wide bells take a different shape, but I was not going crazy with that until now, and to me nothing sounds like Magpha.

I assumed it's the phase response, since this is the closest thing I've heard that, to me, sounds similar to Acustica stuff, especially eq, and Balance Mastering says it's the thing they've worked to get right. No idea what's really happening under its hood but I'm happy to have a tool capable of deliver this kind of sound at relatively little CPU cost.
You may be right.. I haven't compared tighter Q values. Those do indeed look very similar.

Did you try nulling? Technically if a bell curve has the exact same magnitude then if the design is minimum phase the phase response should match too. You can't have one and not the other as they always go hand in hand (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here).

So if the phase response is different, then the magnitude response will be different as well.

On the wider bells you can see the shape being a bit different to the typical filter shapes (I used Pro-Q2 for comparison).

Question: (I can't check it myself right now and I'm curious)

Is Magpha a symmetrical EQ? If I boost 3dB at 500Hz can I then use it to cut 3dB at 500Hz and the end results null? Could somebody who has access to a computer and this plugin test this for me?
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

We've taken a lot of the feedback on board to improve usability (and still fit with the original idea). Here's the new look, a bit more tactile but still minimal.

v1.2.0 is now available

- Optional non-stepped, continuous knobs/textbox values (in settings)
- Improved user interface:
- More tactile buttons & knobs.
- More usable in low light conditions.

New users:
Balance Analog Magpha EQ plugin. — Balance Mastering

Existing users (demo or purchase), please check your email for the direct link.
This looks like an excellent update!! Damn.. I think I may have to purchase this.

Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Technically if a bell curve has the exact same magnitude then if the design is minimum phase the phase response should match too. You can't have one and not the other as they always go hand in hand (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here).
Yes this is true. If the design is minimum phase and the magnitude is the same then phase is also the same (minimum). But there's a difference between analogue minimum phase and digital minimum phase. Which is why this EQ isn't (digital) minimum phase it's analogue (minimum) phase Or to be more precise, it models the analogue minimum phase very accurately in the digital domain.

Quote:
Is Magpha a symmetrical EQ? If I boost 3dB at 500Hz can I then use it to cut 3dB at 500Hz and the end results null? Could somebody who has access to a computer and this plugin test this for me?
Yes I like symmetrical EQs.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes this is true. If the design is minimum phase and the magnitude is the same then phase is also the same (minimum). But there's a difference between analogue minimum phase and digital minimum phase. Which is why this EQ isn't (digital) minimum phase it's analogue (minimum) phase Or to be more precise, it models the analogue minimum phase very accurately in the digital domain.
.. so by that definition, it means the magnitude response is also different, aka the curve of the bell.

Keep in mind that almost all of the "quality" pure digital EQs out there state this same thing.. that they model the analoge response. Pro-Q2 (set to 'natural phase' mode) and Equilibrium come to mind (both working fine up to nyquist and don't really warp the phase much around that area either).

Quote:
Yes I like symmetrical EQs.
Awesome!

Symmertrical EQs are really useful as they can be used for pre- and de-emphasis in a variety of situations.
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Head

AAX?
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Awesome!

Symmertrical EQs are really useful as they can be used for pre- and de-emphasis in a variety of situations.
Yes this is something we're planning to take advantage of in a future plugin!
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Do you have a development plan for the AAX version? I will buy it if it can be used with AAX!
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoe View Post
Do you have a development plan for the AAX version? I will buy it if it can be used with AAX!
Thanks, we're looking into AAX now.

Unfortunately it's a long process to sign up as an AAX developer. But we'll push through as fast as we can on it.

If you downloaded the demo, your email address will be added to the Magpha mailing list. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly with Avid/Pace. We will then alert everyone when AAX is ready.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was thinking of allowing maybe 4 settings for version 2.0 if there's enough demand for it. e.g. length 5 - 33 - 65 - 127 which would correspond roughly to low, med, high, extreme
The advantage of length 5 is that it's pretty decent sounding filter and you could not report latency to the DAW. So if people need a zero-latency DAW environment and can live with 2 samples delay it's a kind of near-zero-latency mode.
I wouldbe very interested in that feature, mainly out of pure curiosity. No need for low latency settings here.
What are the sonic advandeces/disadvandeces with shorter/higher filter lengthes in your opinion?
To me this EQ is the best sounding plug in EQ on the market to date and it would be just the iceing on the cake to really finetune it to personal preferences. But atm its just pure guessing if filter length is a key here.
Fully parametric shelvings and a tilt would be a great addition to, I think.
Old 21st April 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

There's still a problem with entering values manually. I do that, the plugin accepts the value, then when reopening the GUI the values are stepped again. And yes, the button in settings is set to off. On both VST and AU. Mac, Sierra.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
...when reopening the GUI the values are stepped again...
Thanks for reporting. Now fixed!

All purchasers please check your email for v1.2.1. (Demo users not affected)
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
To me this EQ is the best sounding plug in EQ on the market to date
JP thanks for this!

Your question re: filter lengths got me thinking. My feeling is it's not necessary. After much testing and critical listening I was happy to settle on length 33 which to my ears and by the graphs was long enough. So being a mastering engineer I doubled it to 65 for overkill

But I need to have a further think and maybe do some (more) critical listening with your question in mind.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
There's still a problem...
Also, could people please kindly not post bug reports on Gearslutz?

It's great to discuss feature requests etc. here, but I don't check this forum all the time. I would have fixed this bug hours ago if I had received it by email.

Just email bug fixes to
info *at* balancemastering *dot* com

I'll always try and squash bugs ASAP
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Demoed for less than 24 hours, purchased.

Great work, really nice EQ.
As it says on the tin, very open and smooth.

Personally I don't mind the GUI now I'm used to it.

Last edited by Beatworld; 22nd April 2018 at 11:27 PM..
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, we're looking into AAX now.

Unfortunately it's a long process to sign up as an AAX developer. But we'll push through as fast as we can on it.

If you downloaded the demo, your email address will be added to the Magpha mailing list. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly with Avid/Pace. We will then alert everyone when AAX is ready.
Thanks! I wish you all the best.
Old 23rd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Fully parametric shelvings and a tilt would be a great addition too, I think.
Yes I agree-maybe "addition" could be taken literally and the shelves and tilt added to the number of available bands even if it makes the GUI slightly larger.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

6 bands feels already more than enough to me. To me it feels much more important to do not mess the GUI with a lot of extra stuff/features.
Just a switch for bell/shelving and maybe a small knob or even a fader for a tilt would feel perfect to me.
But to me it is great as it is already and offers everything I need ITB. Good work.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
This looks like an excellent update!! Damn.. I think I may have to purchase this.

The definition of GS foreplay....!
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Happily bought it. A great tool from a great developer.
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Head

AAX for ProTools

Tentative AAX for ProTools users released now

Paid customers have been emailed already, demo users download here...

Balance Analog Magpha EQ plugin. — Balance Mastering

We have a couple of small fixes/features in the pipeline, so these and any AAX fixes will be rolled out the week after next (after I present the EQ technology at Milan AES).

Note, we are extending the introductory price in order to be fair to AAX users
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

This plugin has improved greatly!! Only now did I have a chance to test out the latest version and I have a lot easier time with the user interface. Well done chaps! Your commitment and work shall be rewarded.. have a few beers on me.

Purchased!
Old 15th May 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

Indeed it did!

The only thing I felt was missing in terms of efficiency of the GUI was manually entering values: one had to type 10 0 0 0 instead of 10k, or 0.3 instead of .3. As I tend to manually enter values a lot, it was kinda bothersome for me.

I wrote John an email and literally minutes later he sent me both AU and VST versions (1.3.1) supporting this feature.

Speachless

I simply love this eq and now I would be very interested in John's version of a mastering compressor.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Man this thing is just so amazing.. I can't quite understand how yet another digital EQ can sound this good. It's relatively nice on the CPU too, which brings me to my next feature request:

Please add an option to do double the gain amount. I just used two of these in series to radically shape a kick drum and it works absolute wonders. I know this was more intended as a mastering EQ but it works extremely well as a mixing EQ too. Unfortunately a +/- 9dB range isn't nearly enough for a lot of mixing tasks.

Anyhow, this thing is just an amazing thing. Thanks for creating this beauty. Oh and I'm really REALLY liking the subdued GUI now. I couldn't stand the first iteration but the current version, at large size, is just wonderful to use. Very pleasing and simple for the eyes.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Please add an option to do double the gain amount. I just used two of these in series to radically shape a kick drum and it works absolute wonders. I know this was more intended as a mastering EQ but it works extremely well as a mixing EQ too. Unfortunately a +/- 9dB range isn't nearly enough for a lot of mixing tasks.
That would be great. I found myself doing the same thing.
Maybe you could make a Mix versions with doubled range and HP LP filters...
Old 16th May 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

An option to toggle the gain range to +/-18dbs was one of the first things I requested too.

Now that others are requesting it, I think there's a chance we could have it, after all, which would be really awsome.

Adding shelves and filters (at least a HP) could make it easily a main workhorse eq for mixing. I would gladly pay for an updated version with all these included.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I would gladly pay for an updated version with all these included.
Me too
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear
Bought it yesterday, it sounds transparent in a beautiful, elegant way. Shelves would be great indeed. Equally nice sounding LPF and HPF, optional or in a separate plugin would be a great addition : I also like to have the possibility to EQ upon or against filters, so I'd fully understand if they decide to go for a different plugin.

Quote:
Indeed it did!

The only thing I felt was missing in terms of efficiency of the GUI was manually entering values: one had to type 10 0 0 0 instead of 10k, or 0.3 instead of .3. As I tend to manually enter values a lot, it was kinda bothersome for me.

I wrote John an email and literally minutes later he sent me both AU and VST versions (1.3.1) supporting this feature.

Speachless
As I have a similar workflow, I'd love to have that update too!

Great, great EQ no matter what.
Old 19th May 2018
Thumbs up

Trialing it on a couple of very different projects and liking it so far, even using only one or two bands. Looking forward to added shelves and/or a tilt control.

Only suggestion, from a mastering point of view, would be gain range options under Settings: +/- 6, 9, 12, 18 would cover all bases. I'm a fan of the optional stepped controls (limitations are good) and the modified range would simply give better control resolution, although it's not a deal breaker.

I'm a fan of the fact that it forces the user to listen.
Old 23rd June 2018
Gear Addict

I can not forget to compare it with Azure, acoustic audio, with those big knobs. Does anyone dare to make a comparison?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search