The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools | Ultimate
Old 22nd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
It works the same with ReaComp for me. The steps are :

• Set ReaComp's Detector Input to Auxillary Input L+R

• Drag and drop a send on to the plug-ins GUI

Hope that works for you.

There is where I went wrong - I was trying to drop it onto the plugin 'insert' in the mixer panel. Nifty stuff!
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetshirts View Post
HI ufo,

Can you post your empty template? I want to open it with Shift held down so the plugins are all inactive and check out your setup, it sounds intriguing.

I've been checking out Tony Maserati's MWTMasters videos, and he seems to have some similar things "ready to go, but hidden and inactive" until needed.

I'm trying to "up my template game" so my fav plugins are always "at the inactive ready". I think it will also help me trim out some of my plugin folder.

Thanks in advance either way, kindest regards Walt
Same here!!!

Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry guys,
My stem routing matrix is part of what safeguards my company's product, I invested a lot of time in developing it, I'm not going to give that away by letting anyone take a peek at it.
It's not rocket science, you will probably naturally progress to a vaguely similar thing, which serves your particular needs, but my template is both intricate and elegant enough for me to consider it as proprietary technology.
Good luck!
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Sorry guys,
My stem routing matrix is part of what safeguards my company's product, I invested a lot of time in developing it, I'm not going to give that away by letting anyone take a peek at it.
It's not rocket science, you will probably naturally progress to a vaguely similar thing, which serves your particular needs, but my template is both intricate and elegant enough for me to consider it as proprietary technology.
Good luck!
Hahaha. Understand exactly what you’re saying, but routing template being ‘proprietary technology’ made me laugh.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

I can understand that.
It's not just the routing though, it is a whole automated system for routing, processing, printing stems and mixes simultaneously, with optimum freedom of workflow yet maintaining a fail proof operation.
The whole thing I consider proprietary technology, the routing is just a part of that, which by itself means nothing.
However, since seeing would be believing and I'm not showing, it's pointless to discuss any further.
Have a nice day everyone!
Old 25th April 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
That is 100% all that has changed , its a re-branding only, but it is entertaining reading the ongoing incessant cyclic debates.
actually there's more, sadly..

there were bug fixes, BUT, this is the most problematic version for me in the last 12 months.. so many bugs crept in.

I have gone from 2018.3 and wished I had stayed there.. performance issues, plugins take ages to load.. sometimes you just think the thing has hung then suddenly the gui appears lol, crashes i haven't had in ages....

So, something has definitely changed under the hood.

I know what you meant of course in that no new major features were added, but yeah, personally, i hate this build.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting.
I haven't tried 2018.4 Ultimate yet, but found the previous once the best builds in a loooooong time.
I advise you, if you have serious issues with PT, to consistently make support cases for each issue and go to great lengths to test your issues and provide your support engineer with the results of your tests. If you're lucky enough to have support engineers who are proactive and take you seriously, you'll start seeing results.
I've done that painstakingly the last year or so and I've found that it's starting to pay off.
Do all you can do on your end, because they obviously don't have the resources required to do everything themselves. They need our help to be able to do their jobs effectively. At least, that's my experience.
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Addict

Ive also been seeing weird issues with the new build. Yesterday I was dragging-and-dropping loops from the workspace and strangely I started to get unidentified sounds playing through the wrong tracks! For example, a hi hat sample (which I did not recognize) was playing every quarter note through an instrument track with a soft synth. Crazy. I don't ever recall having an issue that weird in Pro Tools. I had to restart the app for it to disappear.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post

Explain to a guy not working on mixing the new Star Wars movie at Lucas Sound or something what’s 10-20 times better with Pro Tools?
Nothing. But naive customers is how alot of companies makes money.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I know what you meant of course in that no new major features were added, but yeah, personally, i hate this build.
Hey T,

It was more in respect that nothing has changed re actual product levels , i.e, Protools ( that many call Vanilla or Native ) remains unchanged , and Protools HD which is now called Ultimate. All that changed in that respect was the name from HD to Ultimate.

With the changes under the bonnet, that has more to do with the shift past 12.* to the new 2108.* ( 13 ? ) . Sounds like they have introduced some additional curves, but that would also be the case with the standard Protools as well. As we all know, they are the identical code base/installer.

Old 26th April 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Interesting.
I haven't tried 2018.4 Ultimate yet, but found the previous once the best builds in a loooooong time.
I advise you, if you have serious issues with PT, to consistently make support cases for each issue and go to great lengths to test your issues and provide your support engineer with the results of your tests. If you're lucky enough to have support engineers who are proactive and take you seriously, you'll start seeing results.
I've done that painstakingly the last year or so and I've found that it's starting to pay off.
Do all you can do on your end, because they obviously don't have the resources required to do everything themselves. They need our help to be able to do their jobs effectively. At least, that's my experience.
EA is basically completely broken.

You can't commit half the time.

Dropbox - EaBroken.mov

this is the video i posted at duc.. it's a bit soft so play it loud and feel safe there are no nasty volume spikes.. I used the mac inbuilt mic

Anyway, just one of the nasties..

And now in Cubase, all my faders are transparent with 9.5.2.1

Honestly i am just so tired of massive bugs in DAWs.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

You and I both :D
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Last version of Pro Tools I've used is 10HD. Have been pretty happy in the latest versions of Logic and Reaper. Recently had a 200 track project in Logic and was curious how PT is comparing these days so I installed PT2018.4.

First thing I do is play 4 stereo tracks of audio, 256 buffer, no plugs. On the third playback it gave me a CPU error.

Is disabling Turbo Boost still a thing for Pro Tools? I have the utility installed but haven't found I need to use it with Logic.

Will try a few things at some point but didn't feel like going directly into troubleshooting mode. Complaints are the loudest comments but .4 doesn't seem to be going over as .3.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Mac? > Which Mac? > Which OS?
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Mac? > Which Mac? > Which OS?
2015 i7 15" MacBook Pro, macOS 10.13.3.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

crappy. I've had many problems with my not so crappy, not so much older mac(book) pros too.
there's some stuff going on with recent versions of MacOS and PT that makes them quite unstable at lower buffers.

you have to turn off all sync things, put notification center on DND etc for it to sort of work well.
Whereas on Windows, my mac pro runs fine.
It's getting better on Mac though and I've been working on support cases quite extensively with some very patient support engineers (shout out) and I've started to see results. We're not out of the woods yet though.
Believe it or not, if I want solid performance on PT on my Mac Pro (6 core 3.33), I run windows 8.1.
I've been doing that ever since I accidentally found out it runs okay on Win (1-2 years ago).
YMMV but it's worth a try if you can.
Old 28th April 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
2015 i7 15" MacBook Pro, macOS 10.13.3.
i certainly don't have those sort of issues, not at 256 buffer and when tracks are not record armed.

In fact, playback performance of pro tools for me is exemplary on my similar macbook pro with apollo as interface.

It's just when i try ti play VI's at under 128 buffer i have issues. Since apollo is 3.52 ms output latency at 128 buffer, it's fine, as only output latency matters for VIs. Even my virus TI feels responsive at 128 through USB and patchwork hosting the AU plugin.. virus doubles the buffer so it is actually 7ms output but it's totally acceptable as I don't use it for drums.. I use it for pads and leads and it's responsive enough.

The other issue i have with PT is if i try to monitor arm audio tracks at under 128 buffer and add effects..

Logic on the other hand is mind blowing in this regard.. i can disable input compensation on UAD, have a 4ms RTL at 44k buffer and record arm 64 tracks in Logic with effects on each one, on the very same machine, and zero pops or crackles or dropouts. Pro tools just isn't efficient at low buffers. Cubase on mac is in between, i can work at 64.. so, logic 32, Cubase 64, PT 128.

I am slowly transitioning to Cubase for my midi stuff, it's a great DAW.. will stick to PT for audio.

Anyway, for actual load balancing using the internal 1024 buffer.. pro tools beats both cubase and logic on the same machine(s) here.

So if i don't have any record armed tracks, but have say 20 Vi's playing back midi and 32 audio tracks with effects, pro tools outperforms everything for me.. S1, Reaper, Ableton, Cubase, Logic and PT where the subject of my DSP tests..

I have repeatedly been able to get Pro tools playing back with REAL cpu in activity monitor being 700%, whereas i can only get Logic and Cubase to 550 ish before overload.

This means when i am dsp testing VI polyphony playback, not recording, pro tools spanks everything here..

I have really tested this through the wringer.
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Anyway, for actual load balancing using the internal 1024 buffer.. pro tools beats both cubase and logic on the same machine(s) here...
Ah cool good to know! Yeah I'm curious what will happen when I throw something big at it. For me Logic is weird in this regard. 512 buffer is the most stable, 1024 sometimes creates CPU errors more than 512. RME interface so the drivers should be rock solid...
Old 24th November 2018
Here for the gear

Yeaaaah, like when one buys, let's say Cubase - it's all there and multifades manual editing is still a big lack even with Ultimate, but autofades, per clip efects automation TRIM and many more are things which i am ready to pay for, cause when it comes to 96 track live mix... damn - Ultimate is the best option one should stick with... no matter do u use HDX accels or not - actually my 12 core mac pro 13 can handle 1m of plugs... which makes HDX pretty useless, unless u record live orchestras at the @ Big Tim [email protected] studios.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Nut

Stumbled in this thread due to 2019.5 being released. I have a love hate relationship with Avid. I love pro tools and the workflow and features but the updates are insane.

Upgrading Mojave seems 2018 has buffer issues so you need 2019.5 but you have to pay for it. I do not car about the new features just want it to work on Mojave.

I paid a lot for HD a few years back for the cards, software, IO, etc. All Avid stuff with their Avid Pro Tools software. In Nov 2017 I paid $999 for the re-instatement so it would run on the latest MAC OS.

Now my service has lapsed. I did not know it is or lost track of it. If I knew I still may not have renewed since you can renew for years and they have no new updates but as soon as you lapse it $999.

So I am resisting paying the re-instatement hoping Avid realizes they are screwing loyal customers or they have a sale.

Having HD and upgrading to Ultimate (which was not a big upgrade to me) was already around $3500 now 2018 to 2019 which is no real upgrade but some voices would have me $4500 into Pro Tools. And that does not include hardware.

Avid if you see this post. Make it $399 or something more reasonable. You would make more money.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Head

cool! They can keep it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search