The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools | Ultimate
Old 11th April 2018
  #61
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
If that's an April Fools' joke you're about 9 days late.
Yep, but the thread is only 2 days old!
A.
Old 11th April 2018
  #62
Lives for gear
 

BTW, they're going for big post and music studios and they changed the name to "Pro Tools | Ultimate" ???!!!
next are "Pro Tools | Platinum" and "Pro Tools | Phatbeats"...
A.
Old 11th April 2018
  #63
Gear Nut
 
soulone82's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
It's $99/year now to post on the Duc.
Ultimate users with an active support plan get unlimited access as long as they renew their subscription, otherwise the account gets blocked
A.
You are kidding, right?

Right??





Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
The big problem with Protools Ultimate is, that it´s extremeley expensive and Avid can´t deliver. If you are the most expensive DAW, then you should be the
most capable DAW
THIS!
Old 11th April 2018
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
BTW, they're going for big post and music studios and they changed the name to "Pro Tools | Ultimate" ???!!!
next are "Pro Tools | Platinum" and "Pro Tools | Phatbeats"...
A.
For Pro Tools | PhatBeatz they will put an extra marketing campaign for the most advanced feature they have incorporated and they already promote since the last two updates: "advanced MIDI editing allows you to transpose notes using arrow keys"

AVID really lost its track, completely. Glad I am out of this joke for the last two years. Incorporating features (track presets, shortcuts for MIDI editing in piano roll and others) which other DAWs have for decades, should be a must, not a chest thumping achievement for marketing. And even at implementation of these they are as slow as it gets. Few per year.

As the hi-end editing platform they should embrace Celemony ARA2, which as far as my understanding goes is available free of charge. But now, it is the only software platform where manual pitch tuning takes ages, because they have no built in editor and because you have to transfer audio to Melodyne which is tedious, especially when you want to do some additional edits afterwards on an initial recording and which requires you to do the same edits once again from the beginning.

Many pople moan about Apple, but Logic X gave with each free 10.X release more useful features than AVID did in the last 20 years. I know Apple is a much bigger company with much bigger budgets and development team, but still. If AVID wants to price such premium prices, they should provide. And they do not, at least not at pace expected.

Last edited by Jantex; 11th April 2018 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11th April 2018
  #65
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
What about if we go to the other end of the spectrum and consider systems like Fairlight that cost many thousands of dollars more?
Just FYI, Fairlight is now part of DaVinci Resolve and you can download the latest beta version for free:

DaVinci Resolve 15 – Fairlight | Blackmagic Design


Alistair
Old 11th April 2018
  #66
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
But apparently Avid is out of touch...
Avid are most certainly out of touch and their dwindling sales numbers prove this: Product sales are down a whopping 26% bases on YOY numbers. In theory this shouldn't say much as they are trying to convince customers to switch to their subscription model but unfortunately their services sales are down 8.4% when they should have been growing.

These numbers are the continuation of a trend that started a long time ago. Avid are loosing customers left right and centre and have absolutely no idea what to do about it.

Alistair
Old 11th April 2018
  #67
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia View Post
I don't think so . If you miss the annual update time you then have to pay 999$ to reinstate even if you own a perpetual license
Which is the same as it was a week ago before they changed the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
To syra and others.
I‘m curious to which platform Pro Tools HDX users changed to.
Concerning this price policy Im considering a change as well...
As above, nothing has changed in terms of pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aux13 View Post
Why is this thread in New Product Alert? What's new? Prices?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
The replaced "HD" with the word "Ultimate".
Exactly. They literally dropped two letters and added one word to the name and a sh!t storm has erupted.

Look, I'm no fan of AVID and how they run their business and treat their customers, but seriously guys literally NOTHING has changed. Well, we got some more bug fixes, but I'd put that in the positive pile.
Old 11th April 2018
  #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Just FYI, Fairlight is now part of DaVinci Resolve and you can download the latest beta version for free:

DaVinci Resolve 15 – Fairlight | Blackmagic Design


Alistair
Ha! I must have been replying to the thread about Resolve 15 in the New Product forum as you typed that. I used 14 about a month ago and the Fairlight implementation still had really far to go. It is great to see some substantial features like ADR and effects library mentioned for the release of 15. Hopefully those crystal core cards aren't far away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Avid are most certainly out of touch and their dwindling sales numbers prove this: Product sales are down a whopping 26% bases on YOY numbers. In theory this shouldn't say much as they are trying to convince customers to switch to their subscription model but unfortunately their services sales are down 8.4% when they should have been growing.

These numbers are the continuation of a trend that started a long time ago. Avid are loosing customers left right and centre and have absolutely no idea what to do about it.

Alistair
People have been citing doom and gloom about Avid for over a decade. If the figures were presented in units sold, I would say you would have a point... but because Avid's business model has changed so considerably over the last 4 or 5 years (albeit somewhat turbulent at times), I think you might be making a pretty liberal interpretation of the sales figures.

2016 saw the introduction of the support plans and subscriptions - Avid offered $200 (vanilla) and $600 (HD) upgrades/support plans for all users on Pro Tools 9, 10 and 11. Avid's service sales increase 35% that year on 2013/14/15.

2017 saw those same plans decrease in price to $99 and $399 respectively. Avid's service sales dropped by 8.4% from 2016... which is still some 26% up from 2014/15/16.

How can you accurately tell that those figures mean people are leaving Avid when the actual cost for service plans for existing Pro Tools users dropped by 30 or 40% in cost from the previous year? Likewise the widespread changes to HD systems, and separate software and hardware sales. Selling three copies of Pro Tools HD software at $2500 a pop verse one Pro Tools HDX system for $10,000 equals $2,500 less revenue... but it doesn't equal less users. If anything, 2017's figures represent consistency from quarter to quarter and not the downward trend you are trying to imply. It will be interesting to see how this year pans out, particularly with the change in software developer and relocation of audio hardware to a new manufacturer.
Old 11th April 2018
  #69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Exactly. They literally dropped two letters and added one word to the name and a sh!t storm has erupted.

Look, I'm no fan of AVID and how they run their business and treat their customers, but seriously guys literally NOTHING has changed. Well, we got some more bug fixes, but I'd put that in the positive pile.

Their minds may be blown when they learn that Pro Tools LE no longer exists.
Old 11th April 2018
  #70
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
People have been citing doom and gloom about Avid for over a decade.
Please stick to what I wrote: Revenue numbers from Avid. No doom and gloom. Just the hard facts.

Quote:
If the figures were presented in units sold, I would say you would have a point... but because Avid's business model has changed so considerably over the last 4 or 5 years (albeit somewhat turbulent at times), I think you might be making a pretty liberal interpretation of the sales figures.
These are revenue numbers. Avid are loosing market share and loosing money.

Quote:
2016 saw the introduction of the support plans and subscriptions - Avid offered $200 (vanilla) and $600 (HD) upgrades/support plans for all users on Pro Tools 9, 10 and 11. Avid's service sales increase 35% that year on 2013/14/15.
Indeed it did but it was purely due to the switch to subscriptions. Unfortunately even that 35% increase did not offset the loss in sales. Avid had a decrease of revenue in 2016 compared to 2015. (Which itself was lower than 2014 which was lower than 2013 etc.)

The back story that you give, the shift to subscriptions in 2016, only make the 2017 numbers look even worse.

Quote:
2017 saw those same plans decrease in price to $99 and $399 respectively. Avid's service sales dropped by 8.4% from 2016... which is still some 26% up from 2014/15/16.
Did you ever consider politics? Yes of course, 2014/2015 was before the shift to the subscription model. You are ignoring the drop in product sales that this increase in sales of services did not manage to offset.

Quote:
How can you accurately tell that those figures mean people are leaving Avid when the actual cost for service plans for existing Pro Tools users dropped by 30 or 40% in cost from the previous year?
Hernandez mentioned actual sales numbers in one of his financial reviews. They are dwindling.

Anyway, the CEO of Avid got fired with immediate effect last month. Maybe something will change now but I doubt it.

Quote:
Likewise the widespread changes to HD systems, and separate software and hardware sales. Selling three copies of Pro Tools HD software at $2500 a pop verse one Pro Tools HDX system for $10,000 equals $2,500 less revenue... but it doesn't equal less users.
However you spin it, Avid are not doing well financially. Their business model is not working.

Quote:
If anything, 2017's figures represent consistency from quarter to quarter and not the downward trend you are trying to imply.
How so? Revenue is down YOY for at least 5 years. (Revenue for 2017 is 51.8% down from 5 years ago). If you ignore the creative accounting they did a while back, revenue has been going down for more than a decade. That is not the sign of a healthy company.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how this year pans out, particularly with the change in software developer and relocation of audio hardware to a new manufacturer.
They might be able to turn things around but they haven't shown any sign of being able to do that for the last decade and the fact that they haven't slashed prices and removed all artificial limitations from Pro Tools tells me it is highly unlikely 2018 will be any different than previous years.

Alistair
Old 11th April 2018
  #71
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Look, I'm no fan of AVID and how they run their business and treat their customers, but seriously guys literally NOTHING has changed.
Maybe that's the real problem - nothing has changed. Perhaps some like to pay Avid over and over for minor new features, if anything is added at all, but most DAW users don't. I understand many post people are stuck with Avid because it is the "industry standard". But even that is no reason to defend a bad business model.
Old 11th April 2018
  #72
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
It cranks my brain when people twist the facts and hand-pick their responses just to blindly support a product in which they've invested heavily. I understand the need to keep your own spirits up, but it's a risky attitude to cling to bias. Those who've done well, and do well, have an open mind and look at the zeitgeist of the industry with clear eyes, not guided by a will to validate their current product choices.
Old 12th April 2018
  #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Please stick to what I wrote: Revenue numbers from Avid. No doom and gloom. Just the hard facts.

These are revenue numbers. Avid are loosing market share and loosing money.

Indeed it did but it was purely due to the switch to subscriptions. Unfortunately even that 35% increase did not offset the loss in sales. Avid had a decrease of revenue in 2016 compared to 2015. (Which itself was lower than 2014 which was lower than 2013 etc.)

The back story that you give, the shift to subscriptions in 2016, only make the 2017 numbers look even worse.

Did you ever consider politics? Yes of course, 2014/2015 was before the shift to the subscription model. You are ignoring the drop in product sales that this increase in sales of services did not manage to offset.

Hernandez mentioned actual sales numbers in one of his financial reviews. They are dwindling.

Anyway, the CEO of Avid got fired with immediate effect last month. Maybe something will change now but I doubt it.

However you spin it, Avid are not doing well financially. Their business model is not working.

How so? Revenue is down YOY for at least 5 years. (Revenue for 2017 is 51.8% down from 5 years ago). If you ignore the creative accounting they did a while back, revenue has been going down for more than a decade. That is not the sign of a healthy company.

They might be able to turn things around but they haven't shown any sign of being able to do that for the last decade and the fact that they haven't slashed prices and removed all artificial limitations from Pro Tools tells me it is highly unlikely 2018 will be any different than previous years.

Alistair

But you are glossing over the reality that the 1st of January 2018 sees Avid's 2011 change in accounting standard come into full effect. It is only since 1st January 2018 when Avid's revenue figures will start to represent their respective yearly sales. Every yearly revenue figure prior to that includes amortisation of deferred revenue from prior to 2011! Prior to 2011 the accounting was based on deferred revenue and didn't at all reflect sales made for each respective year. 2017 alone included some $50 million in revenue backlog. The 5 year period you are trying to suggest that represents Avid's decline seems largely predicted by Avid...

Even the last decade you are referring to includes some dramatic divestment in companies like M-Audio. That is absolutely going to have an impact on your yearly revenue, but it isn't some kind of floundering-in-the-dark action. Selling an arm of your business was always going to be a contractionary action as far as revenue and market share goes, and Avid would have fully known that before they did it. Nobody would expect revenue to climb as a result of it.

Not only that, Avid has clearly stated that their 2016 service revenue figures also include a considerable chunk of sales that occurred in late 2015... every Pro Tools user remembers the absolutely botched roll out of the support plan. Cloud Collaboration was announced by didn't come into fruition until some 6 or 8 months later. A big no-no for any publicly listed company.

For a company apparently "loosing customers left right and centre and have absolutely no idea what to do about it", Avid's guidance forecasts seem strangely accurate. 2017 is significant because as revenue backlog from 2010 and earlier is cleared, the quarterly revenue will start to better reflect the actual sales the company makes in that quarter. It should in theory become pretty unpredictable, bouncing up and down as a result of sales variations from quarter to quarter... but 2017 wasn't like that at all. It was stable.

I am all for hard facts, and there is no doubt that Avid have put their foot in it on more than one occasion.... but the figures you are quoting are very far from the cut and dry conclusions that you are trying to draw.
Old 12th April 2018
  #74
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
But you are glossing over the reality that the 1st of January 2018 sees Avid's 2011 change in accounting standard come into full effect. It is only since 1st January 2018 when Avid's revenue figures will start to represent their respective yearly sales
Rather than the inflated numbers that the whole accounting trick was about, yes.

Quote:
Every yearly revenue figure prior to that includes amortisation of deferred revenue from prior to 2011!
Indeed. The real numbers look even worse without Avid's accounting shenanigans!

Quote:
2017 alone included some $50 million in revenue backlog.
This is so weird. You are aware of this. You write it down correctly and then you draw the exact opposite conclusion of what this means: The real revenue numbers are even worse!

Quote:
The 5 year period you are trying to suggest that represents Avid's decline seems largely predicted by Avid...
No, the decline is worse than they predicted. They didn't reach their targets.

Quote:
Even the last decade you are referring to includes some dramatic divestment in companies like M-Audio.
A profit making company they bought for $176 million (Way too much), turned into a loss making company and then sold for $17 million. This is yet another example of the complete and utter incompetence of Avid's management.


Quote:
Not only that, Avid has clearly stated that their 2016 service revenue figures also include a considerable chunk of sales that occurred in late 2015...
You have the facts but don't seem to be able to connect the dots...

Quote:
Cloud Collaboration was announced by didn't come into fruition until some 6 or 8 months later. A big no-no for any publicly listed company.
Cloud collaboration... exactly what nobody asked for... Another example of Avid 's misguided management.

Quote:
2017 is significant because as revenue backlog from 2010 and earlier is cleared, the quarterly revenue will start to better reflect the actual sales the company makes in that quarter.
Indeed. Without the deferred revenue, the real numbers will look even worse. Connect the dots dude.

Quote:
It should in theory become pretty unpredictable, bouncing up and down as a result of sales variations from quarter to quarter... but 2017 wasn't like that at all. It was stable.
Why should it become unpredictable? That shouldn't be the case with competent management. And as for stable numbers in 2017, that is due to the bigger contracts and users that renew their subscriptions/service contracts. That is on a slow somewhat stable trend (albeit shrinking) but not sustainable.

Quote:
I am all for hard facts, and there is no doubt that Avid have put their foot in it on more than one occasion.... but the figures you are quoting are very far from the cut and dry conclusions that you are trying to draw.
You are right: The reality is even worse.

Alistair
Old 12th April 2018
  #75
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Software

Ill be 100, only reason im with avid is because of the hardware controllers they have. The c24 is an integral part of my workflow. If another company can come with something similar for a similar price ill jump **** but until then ill stick with these money grubbing bastards.
Old 12th April 2018
  #76
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
I've been in the music business for 30 years as a recording and mix engineer. I have been using their product since nearly their first outing. Since having been working in commercial studios for much of my career, I have had to use nearly all modern daws. What is Pro Tools not capable of doing if you don't mind my asking? Personally speaking, I have run sessions with well over 100 audio channels, slaving to tape machines and other computers, run internally or dialed up onto large format consoles with no hick-ups or crashes. All plugins and VI's running as expected. I could go on and on, so not sure where you're coming from. I do get that their pricing scheme is not for everyone...what else would you personally like it to do? I'm being serious, I have never run across a producer that I've worked for bust out in a session and go "fkn pro tools sucks because xy and z." Yeah there where the old days of "slow-tools" but that's long gone. I suppose if it delivered late night pizza pies that would be delivering some serious shyte. As an audio and midi program though, yeah it delivers, at least for myself and literally all of my colleagues that I keep in touch with. But as always, YMMV
Protools cannot or other DAWs are superior:
1., Virtual Instrument handling - most times we have to use Vienna Ensemble Pro to keep arrange in Protools - try some String Instruments or brass
2., Score editor is depressing - we use an external score editor, writing Scores in Protools and listening to them is still a mess
3., Delay Kompensation Bugs all the time
4., in latest protools version melodyne 4 gets the wrong timing, everything is time shifted
5., they made the new AAX Format and told us, that there are so many new possibilities - which ones?
Nothing happend
Sending midi out of an AAX plugin like with VST plugs isn´t possible
6., most new synth control plugins like them from Moog or studio electronics are only made for AU and VST
imagine why!
7., Midi Event editor is quite unusable - changing Controller data has to be made in Logic, than imported to Protools
8., ARA not possible in Protools
9., spectrogramm view for removing clicks etc not possible
10., you can do many things in Protools but you have to buy all the additional software.
So why is Protools not evolving? Money wouldn´t be the problem.
By the way I am also in the Business for 30 years and my experience tells me, that this Subskription model, Avid uses, is not
for benefit for the user.

Mr.O
Old 12th April 2018
  #77
Lives for gear
 
baslotto's Avatar
Let's hear more about this ProTools guys! I never found any threads about ProTools VS other DAWs before!

Old 13th April 2018
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
It cranks my brain when people twist the facts and hand-pick their responses just to blindly support a product in which they've invested heavily. I understand the need to keep your own spirits up, but it's a risky attitude to cling to bias. Those who've done well, and do well, have an open mind and look at the zeitgeist of the industry with clear eyes, not guided by a will to validate their current product choices.


Old 13th April 2018
  #79
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
Most digi-link equipped interfaces replicate the latency of Avid HD I/O interfaces so that the sample accuracy is retained right out of the box. At least off the top of my head - Lynx, Apogee (symphony onwards), Antelope HD stuff, Mytek all are a drop in replacement for any Avid interface, sample for sample.

Pro Tools does actually have the ability to manual adjust the latency of third party interfaces. A ping feature would totally be a welcome addition though, as the current method is pretty clunky!
Symphony has the same round trip, meaning hardware inserts will work correctly, but it ISN'T sample accurate if you use just the AD or the DA. It has to be a round trip.

Focusrite also didn't match up in the Red unit I had. Maybe they've since updated? I don't know how they'd make the conversion faster in order to match, though.
Old 13th April 2018
  #80
Gear Maniac
 

I see alot of Logic Pro use over in the Waves YouTube video section lately (wonder why?).

This thread; is an Avid marketing catastrophe.

Old 13th April 2018
  #81
Gear Maniac
 
MichaelDroste's Avatar
 

I flirted with Digidesign via sound designer 2 files in Logic with the audio media III on a 7200 mac years ago... Never left Logic Since 2.0 What was the name of Digidesign's cd mastering software?
Old 13th April 2018
  #82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
Protools cannot or other DAWs are superior:
1., Virtual Instrument handling - most times we have to use Vienna Ensemble Pro to keep arrange in Protools - try some String Instruments or brass
Mr.O
I am writing complex orchestral parts using Vienna orchestra and using VE all the time. I know professionals using it also in other DAWs because it handles plugins much better than native DAW architexture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
2., Score editor is depressing - we use an external score editor, writing Scores in Protools and listening to them is still a mess
Mr.O
There is no DAW on the market that can create useful scores, for this purpose Avid has Sibelius, most complete score editor on market. the listetnig on other hand is another problem - if it doesnt sound right it is not problem with software but with your skills and virtual instruments you are using

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
3., Delay Kompensation Bugs all the time
Mr.O
dont have a single bug in months due to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
4., in latest protools version melodyne 4 gets the wrong timing, everything is time shifted
Mr.O
using it all day without any unnatural shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
7., Midi Event editor is quite unusable - changing Controller data has to be made in Logic, than imported to Protools
Mr.O
I am changing all the controller data pretty easily in MIDI editor
Old 13th April 2018
  #83
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
I've tested some other DAWs in recent years, since PT was giving me a hard time (on Mac) over the last few years.

I came to the conclusion that for my (VERY) particular workflow, the way PT does things is not matched by any other DAW. There are parts of other DAWs that beat PT, totally, and PT has quite a few issues to deal with before I'm really happy with it again. But for what I do, there's no other DAW that will allow me to comfortably port my workflow without huge efforts and time consuming workarounds.

The simple truth is this:
No DAW is perfect, they all have strengths, weaknesses, differing feature sets etc.

There is no BEST anything. Finding the product that SUITS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS the best, will determine which product is best FOR YOU.

After extensive testing, I've come to the conclusion that PT, with it's many issues, is still the best FOR ME.
I'm both pleased and annoyed by that.

Luckily, in recent versions PT has been improving for me, I'm seeing some serious pro-active response from the support engineers (thanks guys! You know who you are!), with stuff popping up in the release notes that I know I had at least some influence on, so I have some restored confidence in the platform.

If they focus a but more on stability in the next few releases and less on new features, then there's a good chance I'll be very happy with PT again, like I've been from PT5-10. It's just PT11-12 it's been very dodgy for me.
Old 13th April 2018
  #84
Gear Head
 

Protools

Hey icecubeman,

if you can´t see the problems with Protools, you are a lucky guy - wish you the best and keep p(l)aying

Mr.O
Old 13th April 2018
  #85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
Hey icecubeman,

if you can´t see the problems with Protools, you are a lucky guy - wish you the best and keep p(l)aying

Mr.O
thanx, I have edu subscription all bundle for 5 bucks per month
Old 13th April 2018
  #86
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
Maybe that's the real problem - nothing has changed. Perhaps some like to pay Avid over and over for minor new features, if anything is added at all, but most DAW users don't. I understand many post people are stuck with Avid because it is the "industry standard". But even that is no reason to defend a bad business model.
Well, you’ve quoted me out of context.

I was talking about nothing has changed from a week ago when the software was called HD. There’s people ranting about pricing changes and what not and none of that is true.

Now, in regards to adding features etc. I’m right there with you. There’s lots of stuff I’d like added and have wanted for some time that they just don’t seem to be delivering. Even with that in mind, I still choose to use PT, not for compatibility, but because I prefer the software to other DAWs.

At the end of the day, it’s a choice. There’s no need to get all butt hurt about this stuff when there’s so many great options out there. We’ve never had it so good.
Old 13th April 2018
  #87
Lives for gear
 
baslotto's Avatar
Any other hobbyist pitching in against ProTools?
Bring it on guys! Vent now that you can!
Old 13th April 2018
  #88
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
The PT delay compensation issue is still present and being reported. I run into it almost daily. It occurs with MIDI, audio and VIs. It comes and goes with different iterations of PT, and it comes and goes one day to the next. For certain, this has NOT been solved. Do other DAWs have the issue? I don't hear it being discussed by my coworkers who are on other platforms.
Old 13th April 2018
  #89
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Can we get back to the $299 DigiLink I/O fee for HD users?

So if I have an Antelope Orion I must now pay an additional $299/year just so PT will work with the Orion?

And what about non-HD users? Must they pay an annual fee to use their 3rd party interfaces with PT? And if so, what's that fee?

And lastly, WTF?!?!
Old 13th April 2018
  #90
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Can we get back to the $299 DigiLink I/O fee for HD users?

So if I have an Antelope Orion I must now pay an additional $299/year just so PT will work with the Orion?

And what about non-HD users? Must they pay an annual fee to use their 3rd party interfaces with PT? And if so, what's that fee?

And lastly, WTF?!?!
Yes. Here is the deal. Has been this way for many months now. Actually, since they decided to go "al a cart" with the HD products.

This is not Annual. If you buy any HD core card, HD-Native PCie [no longer available] HDX, [hardly available] or HD TB box, -- or that + HD Software -- sans Avid HD Interface, you need to purchase the $299 Digilink I/O License to connect any 3rd party or even "purchased later" Avid box.

Yes, you read that correctly. With Core Audio Devices, you do not need to pay any fee.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump