The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools | Ultimate
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbador View Post
:facepalm

Pro Tools | Ultimate Pricing
Individuals
Enterprise & Institutions

MOST POPULAR
$999.00 1-Year Subscription (Physical Box)
Get access to all new releases and ExpertPlus support for the duration of your subscription
Includes all plug-ins in the Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle and also Pro Tools | MachineControl for one year as part of your plan

$2,499.00 Perpetual License (Physical Box)
Buy it once and own it forever
Comes with a 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan, which includes access to all new releases and ExpertPlus support, renewable annually (Pro Tools DigiLink I/O license sold separately)
Includes all plug-ins in the Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle and also Pro Tools | MachineControl for one year as part of your plan

$999.00 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan (Download)
Buy and reinstate a plan to upgrade to the latest version of Pro Tools.
Connect and work with others easily using Cloud Collaboration.
Access to all updates and upgrades for one year.
Includes the Pro Tools DigiLink I/O license and 12 months of software updates.
$1,899.00 Perpetual License Trade-Up from Pro Tools (Download)
Buy it once and own it forever.
Includes 12 months of software updates.
Does not include the Pro Tools DigiLink I/O license.

$299.00 DigiLink I/O License (Download)
Use your favorite third-party DigiLink interfaces with Pro Tools | HD.

Pro Tools | Ultimate Subscriptions and Upgrades - Music Software | Avid
You guys getting mad can't have it both ways. We used to have to pay this amount of money, but we got free hardware. People griped about the hardware, PT being a closed architecture system, wanting native, etc, Now you have to pay for it all. We had it pretty good before, didn't we?
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandy View Post
You guys getting mad can't have it both ways. We used to have to pay this amount of money, but we got free hardware. People griped about the hardware, PT being a closed architecture system, wanting native, etc, Now you have to pay for it all. We had it pretty good before, didn't we?
But we weren’t held hostage for upgrades .
A fee for upgrades is ok but , there fees imo are way to high especially for the quality we’ve been getting since the subscription started

Last edited by kmade; 10th April 2018 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
HA!

I don't really think the hardware was free though. A Pro Tools|24 Mix system started at $5000 without any interfaces (just the cards and software) back in the year 2000. That is over $7000 today. An additional Mix Farm card was $4000! They gave you a package deal for a Mix plus system of $9999.

A Pro Tools|HD1 system was $8000 in 2005. That is a little over $10,000 today!

Comparatively, Pro Tools HD has only become cheaper and easier to access. The one exception would be the really low upgrade costs Avid were offering on old TDM system to HDN & HDX when it was first released. I think I was quoted something like $2500AUD to exchange my old HD TDM PCIx card and HD8 software for PT HD01 & a HDN card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
But we weren’t held hostage for upgrades .
A fee for upgrades is ok but , there fees imo are way to high especially for the quality we’ve been getting since the subscription started
Do you remember how much the Pro Tools HD 6.4 to 6.7 upgrade cost? $175USD!

$175USD!!

The upgrade from Pro Tools HD8 to HD10 was $1,800(!!) alone. Compare that to the $600 Avid charged HD9, HD10 and HD11 users to move up to HD12. I was quite resistant to the support plan when it was first introduced, but I really don't think I am spending more money than I was keeping up to date... if anything, I think I am spending much less. The prices aren't all that different to Nuendo upgrades. The first few years of the support plan were a mess though. With the introduction of 2018 it does seem Avid have kicked it up a gear. Hopefully the upward trajectory continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Damnit. Hahaha.
The ping feature has been requested on Ideascale. Give it a vote up if you haven't already!
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
As a Digi/Avid customer since 1991, and having purchased just about every product they've ever released, occupying 7 different studios in our company, I'm wondering... how did I miss out on all this free hardware???

No, we've not had it good in quite a long time. Not since the days of Digidesign.
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
As a Digi/Avid customer since 1991, and having purchased just about every product they've ever released, occupying 7 different studios in our company, I'm wondering... how did I miss out on all this free hardware???

No, we've not had it good in quite a long time. Not since the days of Digidesign.

Out of curiosity, what has changed for you since the Digidesign days? I can appreciate the void left by the old Digidesign crew's unceremonious departure. The atmosphere is vastly different under the Avid banner, and not in a particularly positive way... but I would be surprised if many users actually yearned for the day of digidesign hardware requirements, and the choices of DAW limited to 18 inputs, 48 tracks and no input monitor or delay compensation... or a $10,000 hardware software system to get around those limits.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post

The hardware was a dongle for the software. It was tongue in cheek.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

So happy I jumped ship a couple years ago. What a train wreck!
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
Your post is epically contrary.

Firstly, the only thing that has changed is the name. Pro Tools HD is now called Pro Tools Ultimate. The pricing, support plan, etc have been in place for a number of years now.

Secondly, you won't find a DAW with the same feature set as Pro Tools HD for "10-20 times less" in price. Nuendo is about the closest... and it still costs $1900! I take it you also think Steinberg has lost the plot? Or Pyramix? What about if we go to the other end of the spectrum and consider systems like Fairlight that cost many thousands of dollars more?

And thirdly... if you don't need the feature set of Pro Tools Ultimate... there are two cheaper versions of the software you are welcome to use. One is even free!

Gasp!

Literally the only thing that has changed is the name.

That's not accurate. Almost any DAW, from Reaper to Cubase, has more features than Pro Tools Ultimate. You are just paying for the compatibility tax, despite that most of the Ultimate's extra features are just weird limitations (like having more audio channels or surround formats).
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

None of the DAW's I heard of so far, has "Import Session Data" - that's a big reason, I'll stick to Pro Tools! Saves me days of preparing, my mix sessions. All other DAW's, would kill my workflow - even though, they have a lot of other very cool features, that PT dosen't...
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
None of the DAW's I heard of so far, has "Import Session Data" - that's a big reason, I'll stick to Pro Tools! Saves me days of preparing, my mix sessions. All other DAW's, would kill my workflow - even though, they have a lot of other very cool features, that PT dosen't...
Reaper has import session data. Obviously, it is not pt import session but yea there is only 1 feature pro tools has over reaper and that has to do with video work.
That's it.
A google/youtube search would have solved that for you.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
Reaper has import session data. Obviously, it is not pt import session but yea there is only 1 feature pro tools has over reaper and that has to do with video work.
That's it.
A google/youtube search would have solved that for you.
I don't do video work. But with 100 + tracks in a mix session, "Import session (all) data", becomes indispensable for my kind of work... Reaper and other DAW's are of course, great too and will get you equally great sounding results.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
So happy I jumped ship a couple years ago. What a train wreck!
To syra and others.
I‘m curious to which platform Pro Tools HDX users changed to.
Concerning this price policy Im considering a change as well...
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
I don't do video work. But with 100 + tracks in a mix session, "Import session (all) data", becomes indispensable for my kind of work... Reaper and other DAW's are of course, great too and will get you equally great sounding results.
100% understandable (I'm in the same boat), as I import my template or session data from other sessions all the time. As a reaper user I'm not here to actually bash Pro Tools but was reading as to why Avid is doing this? In 2018 there are too many alternatives to be playing around with your client base and like so many I left the ship a long time ago as well. People say this and that about Avids film industry presence but all it will take is another daw that copies their feature set and improves it for "their" own client base and that's all she wrote.
Again I'm not bashing the platform (which would be my normal), but as a businessman like so many here on gearslutz I wonder every year is the price of admission really worth it for you protools guys that are left?
I do miss the DUC board though
Old 10th April 2018
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cubase and Nuendo can import project data, and track archives. Project import isn't as developed as ProTools' import session data, but it is getting close. Granted, that isn't as important for me as it seems to be for you.
Old 10th April 2018
Logic Also has import data session.
I think most users stick to pro tools for its hardware and dsp solutions.
I think most DAWs has the same features. I’m no expert but to me it seems like pro tools are almost lacking features to the some of the other leading DAWs. But who the hell cares.
If you’re used to a daw that’s what you stay with.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Why is this thread in New Product Alert? What's new? Prices?
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:

Ditto the field recorder workflow in Pro Tools HD. I don't think any other DAW has implemented it yet. That feature alone would save tens, if not hundreds of hours a year... the investment in Pro Tools becomes a complete and total no brainer. I'm not interested in having every feature under the sun. I want well thought out, easily accessible features that will save time.

Case in point - splitting a stereo track into mono in Reaper. It can do it... but gee is it convoluted compared to Pro Tools right click -> "split to mono" and you're done.

I haven't found a DAW that is quicker at spotting audio to timecode either.
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aux13 View Post
Why is this thread in New Product Alert? What's new? Prices?

The replaced "HD" with the word "Ultimate".
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ahhhh ...I see.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok - a rebrand!

I was a bit disappointed not to see an option for Pro Tools 'Penultimate'.

Like a two-tier subscription: Rip-off level 1 for Pro Tools Ultimate and lesser-rip-off level 2, for Pro Tools Penultimate...

Options for ever level of user.

Old 10th April 2018
My take on this is, I think Avid is going back to the days of essentially supporting the "pro audio" community, studios, and producer engineers.

They had a long run of trying to sell a line of lesser expensive products, from MBox to now their flagship system to a enormously fast passed growing business sector, the DIY production artist and home engineer. It's no mystery that Avid has had a very tough time turning a profit with this model. Being a very large company, it's nearly impossible for them to compete for this share of the market with companies that sell their products for a fraction of the costs, and remain profitable.

My guess is they're now approaching Pro Tools like Digidesign did. It was a system designed to be used by commercial and pro independent studios, producers and engineers. "You" may not like their products, think they're too expensive, behind the curve, or whatever myriad of reasons some people come up with to hate on Avid. The fact is, many of us have our reason as to why we use the system, have been for ages, and will use it till our ears shrivel up and die.

My experience with anything in life is: Not being able to afford a product doesn't mean that it's to expensive, it simply means that one cannot afford to buy it. Do I think a 2018 Jaguar is to expensive, no, I just cannot afford one.

So in my opinion, Avid is looking into the future and sees there's no point in competing with Free to Lower pricing options. Keep it in the professional market place, making it less expensive than in the past to dive in if you're a serious game player, and if you're a DIY and Home producer engineer, you're certainly free to dive in and use the system too. If not, use Reaper, Logic, Live etc...

The argument over too expensive, not good enough, or whatever is a mute point..
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
I do miss the DUC board though
It's $99/year now to post on the Duc.
Ultimate users with an active support plan get unlimited access as long as they renew their subscription, otherwise the account gets blocked
A.
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Ultimate users with an active support plan get unlimited access as long as they renew their subscription, otherwise the account gets blocked
A.
Holy crap! Seriously?! Wow. That's real shady. I've lost all hope when the message board for users gets controlled through pay-for-say.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Makes me all the more appreciative that I
bought PT 9 Native (still works in OSX Sierra)years ago and never
upgraded.

And never will.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
A.
If that's an April Fools' joke you're about 9 days late.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Head

The big problem with Protools Ultimate is, that it´s extremeley expensive and Avid can´t deliver. If you are the most expensive DAW, then you should be the
most capable DAW
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
To syra and others.
Studio One. Especially if you're coming from PT land. It's not perfect but it's getting there... slowly but surely. I'm doing 100% music so for anything film/Post related I don't have any recommendations.
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
A.

Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
The big problem with Protools Ultimate is, that it´s extremeley expensive and Avid can´t deliver. If you are the most expensive DAW, then you should be the
most capable DAW
I've been in the music business for 30 years as a recording and mix engineer. I have been using their product since nearly their first outing. Since having been working in commercial studios for much of my career, I have had to use nearly all modern daws. What is Pro Tools not capable of doing if you don't mind my asking? Personally speaking, I have run sessions with well over 100 audio channels, slaving to tape machines and other computers, run internally or dialed up onto large format consoles with no hick-ups or crashes. All plugins and VI's running as expected. I could go on and on, so not sure where you're coming from. I do get that their pricing scheme is not for everyone...what else would you personally like it to do? I'm being serious, I have never run across a producer that I've worked for bust out in a session and go "fkn pro tools sucks because xy and z." Yeah there where the old days of "slow-tools" but that's long gone. I suppose if it delivered late night pizza pies that would be delivering some serious shyte. As an audio and midi program though, yeah it delivers, at least for myself and literally all of my colleagues that I keep in touch with. But as always, YMMV
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
To syra and others.
Curious, why jumping ship? I had this thought years ago and I calmed down and glad that I did. Are you unhappy with the performance of your HDX system?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search