The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boz Big Clipper Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th April 2018
Boz Big Clipper

Trying this out now on a heavy/sludgy post-metal kinda record. Kicks all sorts of ass on kick and especially snare. Wow.

Big Clipper | Boz Digital Labs
Old 5th April 2018
Haha gotta chime back in to say in the three minutes since that first post, I just transformed an overly-dynamic drum performance into what sounds like sample-replaced robo kit (not saying that's a good thing, just saying I did it with like a minute each of tweaking kick and snare ). This thing is seriously powerful.
Old 5th April 2018
Gee
Lives for gear

Looks tasty, going to try it out right now!
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Addict

Stoked to give it a go. Boz makes solid stuff.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

This thing is a beast.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Bought....

Boz have some great tools.... and the Transgressor is my most valuable tool for drums... It has actually almost rendered any of my drum sample augmentation unnecessary.

This Big Clipper together with the Transgressor and the Big Beautiful Door makes a great trio of great tools... Especially for drums

PS. The Big Beautiful Door is all over the latest Judas Priest record... for removing snare in the overheads.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Head

Boz please add output volume control, only thing I'm missing here!
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Nut

+1 for output volume!!!
Love it, nice work Boz
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
Boz please add output volume control, only thing I'm missing here!
Isn’t ‘pull’ output volume?
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Wow the blend sliders/eq really make this flexible. I had been looking at other clippers or just using the one in the limiter 6 real glad this came around.
Old 6th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Isn’t ‘pull’ output volume?
More of a threshold.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
More of a threshold.
Ok but also output level. Maybe push/pull link as a way to manage constant gain reduction and output volume?
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Off topic a bit, Boz accepts bitcoin. Love this guy!!

As you were
Old 6th April 2018
Quote:
Ok but also output level. Maybe push/pull link as a way to manage constant gain reduction and output volume?
Ehhh not really. The plug doesn’t work that way (unless I’ve missed something).

Have you played with it at all yet?
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

I love anything distortion and think I might get this as it's so different to anything I own+sounded really nice in my brief try last night. I am pretty much cutting my teeth in the clipping world here other than demoing Sir Standardclip a while ago so I'm interested to try this out more and see where it's useful.

Edit: I just sent a message to ask about giving it an output slider, hopefully it gets added in an update!

Last edited by Eklo; 6th April 2018 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Edit.
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict

Demo gave my guitars a crunch and a lovely stereo width (just engaging M/S) that immediately made me reach for my credit card and purchase.

Agree 100% that an output volume knob would be a much-needed addition. The meters are nice but lack the absolutely brilliant visualization of Kclip (here's your waveform before, here's your waveform now).
Old 6th April 2018
Makes for an interesting de esser. Used split mode with the limiter for the top to knock down the sibilants, and the clipper on the bottom to add some interesting body.
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict

I'm right there with everyone requesting a master volume control. Really good sounding plugin. Will be used a ton.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just got a swift reply, output gain will be added in an update for all those asking about one
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pull is the clipping/limiting threshold. I can see why Boz used those names but the name 'Pull' is a bit misleading when put alongside the Push gain control.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Does anybody know whether it is oversampled? Because I see nowhere any setting for oversampling and in reality clipper without oversampling option must be aliasing like crazy?
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Does anybody know whether it is oversampled? Because I see nowhere any setting for oversampling and in reality clipper without oversampling option must be aliasing like crazy?
Hmm seems the manual hasn't been finished yet? *could be diluted test.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
Hmm seems the manual hasn't been finished yet? I copied the comparison test done here a 10k test tone test with 12db 'push'. These were the results... With pull at -25 I could get the 2k artifact up to -85.

TLDR. Yes seems there is a level of AA.
Thank you for your contribution. I definitely need to try it myself. I quite like BOZ plugins in general, but if this does not oversample I cannot se it using in a mastering context. According to the marketing it is supposed to sound good even when pushed, where in reality it is not possible in case it aliases...so I definitely need to analyze its behaviour to not just add go for another clipping plugin (great interface and bread and butter algorithm).
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict
And the aliasing comments begin.... These treads are so predictable...
"How does it sound... Great!"

Someone analyses the plugin

"It has aliasing issues"

Then all these graphs and test results start getting posted and nobody actually focuses on how the thing actually sounds. I get the issue with aliasing and know exactly what is it but most of my favourite records must have been mixed wusing plugins with aliasing issues and they're still my favourite mixes.

Also for mastering couldn't you just master at high sample rates to reduce the impact it scientifically has on the sound?
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theillusionist View Post
And the aliasing comments begin.... These treads are so predictable...
"How does it sound... Great!"

Someone analyses the plugin

"It has aliasing issues"

Then all these graphs and test results start getting posted and nobody actually focuses on how the thing actually sounds. I get the issue with aliasing and know exactly what is it but most of my favourite records must have been mixed wusing plugins with aliasing issues and they're still my favourite mixes.

Also for mastering couldn't you just master at high sample rates to reduce the impact it scientifically has on the sound?
In my opinion aliasing never sounded great and a signal always sounds better when you can avoid it. Considering that you can decrease it so easily (with oversampling...while also being true that not all oversampling algorithms are great and can affect the quality) I see no reason to not do it, especially with the clipper which is actually a distortion plugin and so very prone to aliasing. Every modern clipper oversamples, that's why I would find it strange if this wouldn't do it (I don't say it doesn't do it because I didn't test it yet, but since it is nowhere mentioned, I suppose it unfortunately is like this).

Yes, you can work with higher sample rate and avoid it this way, but I prefer to print my analog chain at 44.1 because to me it sounds better with my conversion. Since I capture at 44.1 I see only an additional task to upsample before and downsample later on my own.

EDIT: Ok, just read the manual an noticed it is not meant to be a mastering clipper, but more of a simple waveshaper, and designed to be as CPU light as possible. So nothing to write home about and there is already at least hundred similar plugins.

Last edited by Jantex; 6th April 2018 at 09:59 AM..
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Guru

Well, to me I find it of bigger interest that bgrotto is so excited about it than whether Jantex finds out whether it is oversampled or not. Might have to try this out then, not like I don't have any clippers......sigh....does it ever end?

Anyone know how long the intro price will last?
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Well, to me I find it of bigger interest that bgrotto is so excited about it than whether Jantex finds out whether it is oversampled or not. Might have to try this out then, not like I don't have any clippers......sigh....does it ever end?

Anyone know how long the intro price will last?
Until April 19th.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
Hmm seems the manual hasn't been finished yet? I copied the comparison test done here a 10k test tone test with 12db 'push'. These were the results... With pull at -25 I could get the 2k artifact up to -85.

TLDR. Yes seems there is a level of AA.
there is no oversampling.
your test is flawed because your are not "really" clipping.
(ie...-12 dBFS input, gain +12 dBFS, threshold @ 0 dBFS)
you are barely shaving off the tip of the waveform there.
under normal clipping conditions, it acts like a regular digital clipper.

screenshot here > https://i.imgur.com/s1lTkKl.png

(Edit: oops, I did my test at 44.1 kHz instead of 48 kHz...but it makes no difference, there is no oversampling either way.)
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Boz had some interesting things to say on email regarding (the absence of) oversampling - and that he's working on a few videos including an "aliasing video" to show what's going on with this plugin in that regard.

While we're here, Mongoose and the 10+db bundle are
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Purchased this,

It's worth it to me for what it can do to kick drums alone.

Thanks Boz!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search