The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boz Big Clipper Dynamics Plugins
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict

Does anyone know how many authorizations you get with Boz stuff? Is it a "on as many computers as you own" thing?
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
Does anyone know how many authorizations you get with Boz stuff? Is it a "on as many computers as you own" thing?
Yes.
Old 6th April 2018
The oversampling question is interesting to me. I've never heard an example where aliasing improved the sound of something, so it seems to me designers should do whatever they can to limit or eliminate it. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of plugins that I favor, where oversampling isn't used. Certainly, though, an option of OS would always be welcome.

Speaking of...I wonder if the Hoser EQ makes use of OS, because I find its high shelf particularly good-sounding.
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
The oversampling question is interesting to me. I've never heard an example where aliasing improved the sound of something, so it seems to me designers should do whatever they can to limit or eliminate it. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of plugins that I favor, where oversampling isn't used. Certainly, though, an option of OS would always be welcome.

Speaking of...I wonder if the Hoser EQ makes use of OS, because I find its high shelf particularly good-sounding.
Interesting indeed, I find that when it is switchable it doesn't mean it's a 'better' switch every time, just different, and sometimes without oversampling sounds better subjectively, aliasing be damned. For whatever reasons.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ehhh not really. The plug doesn’t work that way (unless I’ve missed something).

Have you played with it at all yet?
Been using Little Clipper for a few weeks. If I want a source peaking at -6db I set 'Pull' to -6 and drive 'Push' into it. It seems to act as a ceiling and a rudimentary output peak level. Am I way off with this?
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear
i would love to introduce more clipping into my workflow, so I will be following. I have never had a technical problem with any of Boz' plugins
Old 6th April 2018
Looks interesting but how is that different to something like MMultiband Saturator?
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
Looks interesting but how is that different to something like MMultiband Saturator?
Clipping and limiting have a threshold, so you can more easily just effect the peaks than a saturator...but there's probably lots of common uses for something like this. Basically, this is more of a dynamic tool you can use to alter tones, and a saturator is a tone tool you can use to alter dynamics.

I'm going to give this thing a whirl.
Old 7th April 2018
M2E
Lives for gear

How is it on cpu?

Thanks, Marc
Old 7th April 2018
M2E
Lives for gear

Nevermind, saw it was RTAS, saw it was low on cpu, and heard it was great.

Bought it. Nuff Said....

Thanks Boz!!!!
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

I really think Boz makes some of the most unique and and useful plug-ins around. Can't wait to try this.
Old 7th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
Clipping and limiting have a threshold, so you can more easily just affect the peaks than a saturator...but there's probably lots of common uses for something like this. Basically, this is more of a dynamic tool you can use to alter tones, and a saturator is a tone tool you can use to alter dynamics.

I'm going to give this thing a whirl.
Sorry, not trying to bust the party here, but do you even own MSaturatorMB (or tested the 14 days trial?) before posting this or have you just gone by the name and made up something of how it must be a Saturator and must be different to Big Clipper? Fact is if you´d have used it, that MSaturatorMB does everything + more. It has up to 6 bands (with configureable slope, Minimum Phase, LP and even exotic cross-over types), you can independently select a threshold for each band, can control the number of harmonics (can even edit the volume of each harmonic component separately) and can even select a different algo. There are 9 to chose from, 2 of them are different clipping-algos. There are several more like saturation and even folding. Heck, you can even edit your own shape of the saturation curve and there also is a dry/wet mix for every band. Summarized: having demo´ed both aside, the Melda can do everything that the Big Clipper does + has a lot of more features, possibilities, and more bands. For me, the choice is rather clear.
Old 7th April 2018
M2E
Lives for gear

My fav clipper hands down is Kazrog KClip.
Now, this baby, is starting to turn me on. I know KClip has a new version coming out and I'm just waiting but, until it does, this looks like this could be my new baby. Hugs and all.

Hmmmm, really nice job!

Marc
Old 7th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
My fav clipper hands down is Kazrog KClip.
Now, this baby, is starting to turn me on. I know KClip has a new version coming out and I'm just waiting but, until it does, this looks like this could be my new baby. Hugs and all.

Hmmmm, really nice job!

Marc
Don´t get me wrong, but $60 for THIS (Pro version)? $9 more for the Melda Saturator and I have like 30 times more features
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Personally, I've preferred Limiter No. 6's clipping since forever, but especially since TDR made an updated version.

I use every TDR plugin and consider all of them to be indispensible in my workflows, especially Nova GE and Limiter 6 GE.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARC Mastering View Post
Don´t get me wrong, but $60 for THIS (Pro version)? $9 more for the Melda Saturator and I have like 30 times more features
Don't knock it till you've tried it, KClip is beauty in simplicity. It is incredibly good, I swear by it.
Old 7th April 2018
Yes, I just did and don´t get how I would pay $60 for the Pro while I have Meldas MSaturatorMB. It sounds the same as if using MSaturatorMB in single band mode with the "Clip 1" algo and 16x oversampling turned on. Have you actually tried the Melda one?
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict

Bought it last night. Great plugin! +1 for volume knob. As for aliasing, just make music and don't think too much about stuff
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Summarized: having demo´ed both aside, the Melda can do everything that the Big Clipper does + has a lot of more features, possibilities, and more bands. For me, the choice is rather clear.
I haven't tried the comparison, but how are you dealing in MSatMB with the mix between limiting and clipping that Big Clipper does it the mixed modes? I can see this being achievable using MXXX but can't see it an easy way to set it up in just the one Melda plugin - though I guess an envelope follower on the unclipped band might get there.
Old 7th April 2018
I own almost everything Melda makes and LOVE their stuff, but it’s no great secret that their UIs tend to leave a lot to be desired. That’s where boz has them beat: the simplicity of big clippers interface means great sounds happen quickly. If I hear something in my head, I can almost instantly realize it. With melda, it rarely works that way.

So while the melda stuff allows for incredibly detailed and sophisticated tweaking and manipulation, sometime I just need a thing to happen quickly while I’m inspired in the moment.

As for limiter no 6, I love it. It was an instant buy for me and it lives in several places on my mix template, and it’s a staple in my mastering. But it’s a huge processor hog and imo not particularly well suited to individual channel usage. In my short time with the boz, I’ve found it lands on my individual tracks, while the tdr has long been a fixture on my subgroups and mix buss.
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, not trying to bust the party here, but do you even own MSaturatorMB (or tested the 14 days trial?) before posting this or have you just gone by the name and made up something of how it must be a Saturator and must be different to Big Clipper? Fact is if you´d have used it, that MSaturatorMB does everything + more. It has up to 6 bands (with configureable slope, Minimum Phase, LP and even exotic cross-over types), you can independently select a threshold for each band, can control the number of harmonics (can even edit the volume of each harmonic component separately) and can even select a different algo. There are 9 to chose from, 2 of them are different clipping-algos. There are several more like saturation and even folding. Heck, you can even edit your own shape of the saturation curve and there also is a dry/wet mix for every band. Summarized: having demo´ed both aside, the Melda can do everything that the Big Clipper does + has a lot of more features, possibilities, and more bands. For me, the choice is rather clear.
Sorry, I mis-read your question as being from someone who didn’t know the difference between saturation and clipping, not from someone who had tried both plugs and was endorsing an alternative. Seems a bit strange...There are a dozen plugins that do any given audio task in this day and age. Use the one that works best for you.

Deeper plugins are not necessarily better. I’ve got a couple Melda plugs and they are great, but for most things I prefer other approaches.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I own almost everything Melda makes and LOVE their stuff, but it’s no great secret that their UIs tend to leave a lot to be desired. That’s where boz has them beat: the simplicity of big clippers interface means great sounds happen quickly. If I hear something in my head, I can almost instantly realize it. With melda, it rarely works that way.

So while the melda stuff allows for incredibly detailed and sophisticated tweaking and manipulation, sometime I just need a thing to happen quickly while I’m inspired in the moment.
Ditto to all of the above. I use Melda stuff quite a bit but their GUI's are definitely fugly and cumbersome to me. I've bought a lot of the Melda plugs for certain tasks (my favorites being MAutoDynamicEQ, MCompare and MAutoAlign) but I've never understood why they've stuck with their clunky GUI's. At the end of the day though it's about sound and not about visuals (here's looking at you AirWindows). Still the thing about the Boz stuff is that it always serves a really useful purpose and is well thought out in the workflow and the GUI's are super intuitive and don't require too much guesswork or user manual reviewing to use. And of course the Boz stuff sounds really really good (Gatey Watey is a particular favorite).
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Where does one hear this plugin in action? Any audio demos kickin about?
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut
Noticed that the manual says that the last mode goes from the limiter to the clipper but it looks like the icon has an arrow from C to L like so "C->L". I know it's what your ears hear that matters but it confuses me.
Old 8th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Where does one hear this plugin in action? Any audio demos kickin about?
Download the demo and try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayTheLordBe View Post
Noticed that the manual says that the last mode goes from the limiter to the clipper but it looks like the icon has an arrow from C to L like so "C->L". I know it's what your ears hear that matters but it confuses me.
From the manual:

"Series Mode - This mode runs the Limiter and the Clipper in series (first the limiter, then the clipper). The Blend fader in this mode becomes a dB Offset control for the Clipper.

So if your Pull knob is set to -18dB and the Blend knob is set to 6dB, then
the Limiter will have a threshold of -18dB and the Clipper will have a
threshold of -12dB (6dB above the Limiter’s threshold). Still confused?
Essentially, it’s like running a limiter, and then clipping the portion of the
attack that goes over the threshold. It’s a great way to add some grit to your transients without adding too much distortion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Been using Little Clipper for a few weeks. If I want a source peaking at -6db I set 'Pull' to -6 and drive 'Push' into it. It seems to act as a ceiling and a rudimentary output peak level. Am I way off with this?
It has an effect on the output level inasmuch as the threshold control on a standard compressor has an effect on the output level. That is to say, it's doing more than simply turning down the output of the processor, because it accomplishes the decrease in output level by increasing the gain reduction.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Download the demo and try it.
I did before posting

Quote:
Essentially, it’s like running a limiter, and then clipping the portion of the
attack that goes over the threshold. It’s a great way to add some grit to your transients without adding too much distortion."
Thanks, also got that. I figure that's similar to the clipper going after the limiter in Limiter No.6.

I was only referring to the "C->L" on the icon which makes it look like it's going from clipper to limiter.
Old 9th April 2018
Just fattened up an Americana kick and snare. Kick was clipped on bottom, limited on top, snare was limited on bottom and clipped up top. That blend function is great, as is the ability to shape the tonality of the crunch with the eq. Got a nice tail and length to both, plus a more level-sounding performance and some cool vibe to boot. Loving this thing so much.
Old 9th April 2018
M2E
Lives for gear

Those buttons under the blend function is too small.
I love the sound of this thing though.
It's weird to use though. I need to read the manual.
KClip is very simple but I like how this fattens up the sound.

Still messing with it.

Marc
Old 9th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Those buttons under the blend function is too small.
I love the sound of this thing though.
It's weird to use though. I need to read the manual.
KClip is very simple but I like how this fattens up the sound.

Still messing with it.

Marc
Agreed about the button sizes. I actually think that section in general could use a design overhaul. For example, the slider doesn’t indicate clearly what is happening in general, the clip and limit logos should reverse when selecting LxC mode, and the feedback display at the bottom of the plug is a bit confusing in the third mode where it expressed the slider value as a percentage (I think it’d be better to express as a pair of percentages or a ratio). And as noted above by the other user, the fourth mode logo is weird.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
Just got a swift reply, output gain will be added in an update for all those asking about one
Just did it
Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search