This price is on the plugin level, hard not to buy a pair
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik KT-2A-zrzut-ekranu-2018-09-30-o-11.48.27.jpg  
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
This price is on the plugin level, hard not to buy a pair
The price is £270 when I go to the MusikStore page?
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

Can anyone comment on the noise performance of this unit? I've read people find the KT-76 noisier than the other 1176 clones?
Old 30th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
What a price. In the US they seem to go for $499.
Old 30th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Why don't you start by running a source through your Audioscape, Warm and STAM? At least then we can compare those together and I'm pretty sure you'll find t least a couple owners to run something through their KT?

That would be really nice to hear.

Thanks!

R.
ABSOLUTELY! I no longer own the WARM but I'm sure someone here can use my test file (probably be a mono drum room or such, you tell me?) and run it through their unit.

I'll find a suitable candidate for the test file and run it through the AudioScape and the Stam. I'll also post the unprocessed file so others can run it through a WARM and the Klark! =D

Can't wait for the games to begin! Haha...
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
What a price. In the US they seem to go for $499.
Yes it is an astonishing price if this is a great unit! My concern is how much noise will it add to my vocal tracking chain!?
Old 30th September 2018
wow this is even more crazy, 1/3 of a Warm Audio WA76 price
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik KT-2A-zrzut-ekranu-2018-09-30-o-18.29.10.jpg  
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your price is including VAT. The Musicstore price is excluding VAT.

R.
Old 1st October 2018
Quote:
Yes it is an astonishing price if this is a great unit! My concern is how much noise will it add to my vocal tracking chain!?
It’s not noisy. Actually, a pretty quiet noise floor
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
It’s not noisy. Actually, a pretty quiet noise floor
Yes, this. I don't notice any inherent noise from the unit at all.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbopolish View Post
I got mine today and run some samples. All about -10db gain reduction
I think I will have lots of fun with this box!
OK! Thanks to jumbopolish (hope you don't mind I used one of your raw example files, if so please PM me and I'll take it down!).

Here's the unprocessed vocal ran through the AudioScape with the same GR as mentioned in the OP's post (about 10-13-dB GR).

I can get all kinds of different tonalities based on where the HF knob is set on the AudioScape but I settled on high-noon for this example.

Please reference the original files for comparison. First think I noticed was the KT sounded noisier (?) than my AudioScape, even when I ran the gain and GR to the extremes (this thing is EXTREMELY quiet... extraordinary quiet, actually..)

I'll post a drum clip up in a bit, hope some KT users can post the same file ran through their units!
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik KT-2A-1984-la2a-gs.jpg  
Attached Files

VOCAL - AUDIOSCAPE LA2A.wav (3.20 MB, 6618 views)

Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

KT-2A still sound good beside AudioScape IMO
AudioScape have the edge but not as much as i thought when you volume match

Unfortunately AudioScape has to be imported and that is going to rice the price significantly in EU

KT-2A is a steal IMO as i got it for 363$(315 Euro) at gear4music and that price includes taxes+shipping to Norway

I just hope Gear4music takes in more Stam Audio gear, a SA-2A and a SA-3A would be nice to add later on
Old 5th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post

Unfortunately AudioScape has to be imported and that is going to rice the price significantly in EU

KT-2A is a steal IMO as i got it for 363$(315 Euro) at gear4music and that price includes taxes+shipping to Norway

I just hope Gear4music takes in more Stam Audio gear, a SA-2A and a SA-3A would be nice to add later on
I am not sure anymore that you would be able to notice any difference between the kt-2A, the Stam, or the Teletronix in real life. They all use excellent switches and knobs, they all use the same schematics of a very simple design (LA-2A), so it is a matter of how much colored each of them is, how much reliable each of them is, and how they are EQed, if they are different in that sense.

I also have the kt-2A ordered at 299€, so we'll see.

I think that there are a lot of overpriced products in the audio industry, and you can see that when you check out the prices of high quality guitar pedals, which are around 250-350USD new, and have all these components inside that make them sound wonderful. Putting all this in a bigger box shouldn't be 1000 or 1000usd more expensive. I am talking about the excellent Cali 76. I am in love with it, best guitar compressor ever, a 1176 specially made for guitar, and it is around 250-350 new.

If we talk about pre-amps, or amps, then the story is totally different. In preamps and amps, if you want high quality, you pay big money, no way around. But compressors, limiters, and EQ...
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

I don't totally disagree with you!

I was actually surprised by how the Klark sounded... it has a cool, much dirtier, pumping thing going on compared to the (very) accurate AudioScape recreation.

Being in the EU I understand your point regarding price...

In my comparisons with the Warm and Stam units, I actually think I'd prefer the Klark over them and obviously the AudioScape above them all. It's hard to argue the Klark as its less than 1/3 the price of the AudioScape, Warm, or Stam.

MY MAIN POINT was.... anyone looking at paying the kind of $$ for the Stam or Warm, please do yourself a favor and look at the AudioScape first. It's NOT MADE IN CHINA, first off... haha, NOTHING (including even the case and power transformer, which is from a company that makes them in house in Chicago) is a knock-off. It's the real deal through and through and Chris, the owner of AudioScape is probably one of the coolest dudes in the business. Super easy going, passionate and very, very smart.

I'll be posting more clips! I want to hear more of the Klark! (BTW, I also think the Klark 1176 is superior to the Warm, by quite a large margin). Absolutely fantastic SOUNDING piece of kit for the money... Again, sound like a broken record I PREFER the AudioScape 76A over them ALL (see a trend here? lol) but the Klark stuff is definitely, SONICALLY, very appealing for the amazingly low price points they sell for.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

It sounds like klark KT-2A have more gain reduction than AudioScape

Klark got a legit T4B installed according to people who have opened it
Attack and release times is exact the same as the UA 2A

In the end i think it all comes down to the tone
Soundscape has a bigger tone but in EU for almost 4 times less the price with the KT 2A
I think i will rather spend more money on a bigger, smoother sounding pre like a BAE 1073 to color before i hit the 2A compressor in tracking

Now i want Klark(Behringer) to make a KT-3A
Old 6th October 2018
Quote:
It sounds like klark KT-2A have more gain reduction than AudioScape

Klark got a legit T4B installed according to people who have opened it
Attack and release times is exact the same as the UA 2A

In the end i think it all comes down to the tone
Soundscape has a bigger tone but in EU for almost 4 times less the price with the KT 2A
I think i will rather spend more money on a bigger, smoother sounding pre like a BAE 1073 to color before i hit the 2A compressor in tracking

Now i want Klark(Behringer) to make a KT-3A
In my opinion, any money invested in a BAE preamp is worth it and will make all your instruments sound better. I have the mpf version and it's beautiful. You won't need much more color after that, and even less if your mic or compressor (as the kt-2a) has a tube in it (for that tube warmth).
Old 6th October 2018
Also, as a general thought, I would like to add that I am used to the reality that SOME cheap PRODUCTS can be as good or better than their expensive competition. I've seen that so many times with guitar pedals....

Money is well invested in:
microphones
amps / preamps
converters
acoustic instruments

Most of the rest (electric guitars, analog synths, digital synths, effects in general, or cables), nowadays can be bought cheap and you can still make a record with it, although of course, if you want a certain unique flavour (my guitars cost more than a -cheap- car), then you need to increase your budget, but a good mic into a good preamp into a KT-2A will sound much better than a good mic into a bad preamp into a UA LA-2A, costing both the same, because the amplification stage is where you are taking a small, delicate, and complex signal, and making it loud, so that process is where most information / resolution can be lost with cheap gear.

That said, I am not by any means against buying expensive guitars, synths, or effects, I have many of those because I want that particular voice or components quality.

If I keep the KT-2A when it arrives, a 299€ compressor will stay next to a 3.000€ preamp, oddly.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

ttattwa when are you expecting your KT-2A to arrive ?

i will get my KT-2A around 13-14th November
Old 6th October 2018
Quote:

Hi, probably around mid November as well. It says 7 to 8 weeks in Thomann's website. I also ordered the kt-76 at 199€ but it says no delivery date yet. I pre-ordered them from Thomann because I thought that the biggest retailer would get the new manufactured units first.
Old 6th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttattwa View Post
Money is well invested in:
microphones
amps / preamps
converters
acoustic instruments
Mainly agree with this. When I first started buying outboard a couple years ago, I was mainly looking at compressors first. Due to the whole "software has eq nailed but still not as good with compression" line.

I then picked up some outboard eq and thought, nope this is much better as well!

But even more important than those to me, good preamps. My mic's are decent, not super high end but nice mid range stuff, they do a good job considering my room isn't amazing.

But, the biggest lift in quality was the mic and preamp upgrade. I'm now experimenting with my UAD setup to see if tracking through nice pre's but plugin eq's/comp's will get my tone shaping close enough to where I want it.

If they don't, well I may pick up the KT then haha.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I have them both lined up here, the Warm Audio WA2A has nowhere near the amount of colorful mojo the KT2A has. The Warm leaves me wanting more.....I find it bland and lacking the real sound of the OG. The KT-2A put a smile on my face in less than a few twists of the knob.
Glad to hear that !

I remember how many people were bashing behringer here on GS and praising Warm Audio on the other side.
Behringer = Pirats/low quality control a.s.o.

Never understood why on the other hand warm audio got so much praise.

They do A) exactly the same, means cloning products after original schematics, layouts...

B) I red many posts from people here who go units not working, knobs falling down, needed to replace whole unit a.s.o.

Now with the "Klark Teknik" label suddenly the wind changed. I have a Behringer V-Verb which sounds amazing. I don't care what is written on it, I care how it sounds.
Now they (Klark Teknik aka Behringer offer us 1176, LA2A and a pultec for the price of what some plugin developpers ask for !)

I mean: Track witht these things and you can erase 80 % of the plugins in your mix afterwards.

I track with an GAP pre 73 & ART PRO VLA II since 2 years and I don't need any pseudo saturation plugins anymore to get rid of sterile sounds or harsh transients. So happy we don't need vst emulations anymore to get the sound of the big, expensive studios anymore. I get the density, weight and color upfront and use mostly "clean" EQ and compression (if still needed) plugins afterwards.

Last decade was the time of virtual emulations (as most of us couldn't afford the real deal, now comes the decade of the hardware clones - Yes !!!
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Mainly agree with this. When I first started buying outboard a couple years ago, I was mainly looking at compressors first. Due to the whole "software has eq nailed but still not as good with compression" line.

I then picked up some outboard eq and thought, nope this is much better as well!

But even more important than those to me, good preamps. My mic's are decent, not super high end but nice mid range stuff, they do a good job considering my room isn't amazing.

But, the biggest lift in quality was the mic and preamp upgrade. I'm now experimenting with my UAD setup to see if tracking through nice pre's but plugin eq's/comp's will get my tone shaping close enough to where I want it.

If they don't, well I may pick up the KT then haha.

My biggest lift was room treatement !
After I began to enjoy different mics, preamps a.s.o.
Old 7th October 2018
Quote:

I received some update from the store. I'll be receiving it next week, as it has already been sent by them. I ordered last week so that would be pretty fast. From my experience with Thomann, they usually get the products faster than they write down on their website. You can constantly see a product indicating "available in 6 weeks", but then in the background they are receiving units and sending them to the customers that order it, fifo.
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttattwa View Post
I received some update from the store. I'll be receiving it next week, as it has already been sent by them. I ordered last week so that would be pretty fast. From my experience with Thomann, they usually get the products faster than they write down on their website. You can constantly see a product indicating "available in 6 weeks", but then in the background they are receiving units and sending them to the customers that order it, fifo.
wow thats great
im a bit jealous at the fast delivery from Thomann LOL

I hope you will share your impressions on the KT-2A
and maybe post some compressed files with it on the same vocals that was compressed with the AudioScape
as i think the KT-2A was a bit more compressed vs SoundScape in the 1st example
Old 13th October 2018
Quote:
wow thats great
im a bit jealous at the fast delivery from Thomann LOL

I hope you will share your impressions on the KT-2A
and maybe post some compressed files with it on the same vocals that was compressed with the AudioScape
as i think the KT-2A was a bit more compressed vs SoundScape in the 1st example
Thanks. I will post my impressions for sure. This is going to be one of the cheapest pcs of gear in my studio but I never look at the price in order to evaluate how good something is. If it is good for pro recordings it will stay. If it is not it will go back.

I also ordered the other 2 kt so I will be able to judge the holy trinity when they arrive.

By the way, these clips you mention were posted by someone else, not me.
Old 13th October 2018
Gear Guru

I was thinking about getting one of these... maybe at the end of the month.

At this point it wouldn't take too much for me to pull the trigger.
Old 14th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I was thinking about getting one of these... maybe at the end of the month.

At this point it wouldn't take too much for me to pull the trigger.
Do it.

That sufficient? Lol
Old 14th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
Do it.

That sufficient? Lol
Haha... give me 2 weeks to mull it over

Old 29th October 2018
I was leaning towards picking up a Brute, for an optical comp. I'm interested in this though, nice price, good reviews so far. Curious if anyone who picked this up has a Brute or have used one?
Old 2nd November 2018
lxm
Gear Addict

What are the tubes in this thing exactly?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search