The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klark Teknik KT-2A
Old 1st November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by who? View Post
Ok so I caved and replaced the tubes and photo cell. The unit sounds wonderful on its own - but in a world where subtleties are everything - the difference is substantial and favorable imo.
Is it a difficult job for a laymen / someone who's never modded before? I have two kt2a's, was thinking of selling one but might mod it instead if it makes much difference.
Old 1st November 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
Wondering is there significant processing in the box or just a bit of eq after?

Sounds nice :D
There is some eq, some deessing and then the effects. thanks!
Old 6th November 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Guys, I bought the KT 2A and decided to replace the stock Bugera tube 12BH7A with a 1958 NOS RCA 12BH7A but be to honest I couldn't hear any big difference and in fact I thought the Bugera was much smoother and bigger sounding where the RCA distorted much earlier, so leave it alone its a great uni,t very smooth on vocals has no hiss and for the price what a bargain, grab it before it goes up in price. KC
Old 6th November 2019
Shhh, stop bursting tube myths.

Old 10th November 2019
So i picked one of these up and it just got delivered yesterday. Build quality seemes decent, though I noticed the VU meter is seated a little bit low in the window? Like you can see into the unit just a little bit if you look at the top of the meter. I tried looking online for real life photos and I believe I saw a couple that look like this, just curious if its a common thing? Obv just aesthetic but wondering if i should try to loosen and move up a little? Or just leave it... Also, when I touch the VU meter with my hand and wiped it a bit with a cloth, while powered off, I noticed the meter started jumping around? Kinda weird. Then stayed raised a bit, while very slowly lowering. Not sure if this is normal, with these units or other 2A clones?

Sounds pretty decent, pretty much what I expected. Not a know your socks off piece but at the price, it does do its thing. Might be cool to kind of tame some essy-ness on vocals, or definitely usable for bass. Thinking it may need a lil eq following vocals to breath some hi freq back in ( if needed ) but so far I'm liking the sound.
Old 11th December 2019
Here for the gear

Just got one of these guys. What tubes have people been using with these? Also When do you typically use this over the 1176?
Old 11th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge11 View Post
Just got one of these guys. What tubes have people been using with these? Also When do you typically use this over the 1176?
Congrats on your purchase. I haven't regretted mine since I got it.

I swapped out the tubes for an EHX set, except for the power tube. I didn't notice any difference but other users here say they have.

LA-2As tend to sound best after an 1176. I use the 76 style compression in my UA 4710D to catch peaks, followed by the KT-2A to soften it out. Use that method for bass and vocals. For guitar I don't use my KT-2A at all. To answer your question, I suppose you could use LA-2A compression in place of 76 comp for pads or key sounds, basically things with less transients.
Old 11th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge11 View Post
Just got one of these guys. What tubes have people been using with these?
The tubes that came with it.

Old 12th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I haven't regretted mine since I got it.

I swapped out the tubes for an EHX set, except for the power tube. I didn't notice any difference but other users here say they have.

LA-2As tend to sound best after an 1176. I use the 76 style compression in my UA 4710D to catch peaks, followed by the KT-2A to soften it out. Use that method for bass and vocals. For guitar I don't use my KT-2A at all. To answer your question, I suppose you could use LA-2A compression in place of 76 comp for pads or key sounds, basically things with less transients.
OK That makes sense, thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just got one. Set it up. Output meter works but gain reduction meter is not moving. I have it set on 0. I read other issues in this thread but what did you guys end up doing?

Actually it’s not compressing at all makes sense. Now what?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
Just got one. Set it up. Output meter works but gain reduction meter is not moving. I have it set on 0. I read other issues in this thread but what did you guys end up doing?

Reject it , sent it back. Debris (This one)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Did you make sure the kt-2A was fed a hot enough signal ?
some made that mistake before in one of the kt threads so im just making sure its not an user error

If you are positive you fed it a hot enough signal and it still doesn't compress the unit is faulty
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I wonder if it’s possible for the optical cell to come loose during shipping? If it was mine I would open it up and make sure all the tubes and such are firmly seated - that’s just me though - and by no means am I a tech.
Old 4 weeks ago
While this thread is still alive, could anybody recommend an EQ for me? I'm looking for something to just add or subtract a few DBs here and there, nothing major. Add some presence to vocals, suck out some lower mid range in guitar, etc.

I was thinking of the Klark Teknik EQP-KT, but now I'm also looking at the Golden Age Project EQ-73... My only hang-up with the EQP-KT is that I'm a little confused on how to use it.

Again, nothing fancy as I do most of my EQ work ITB. Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

EQP style EQ's are pretty intuitive and easy to grasp, also because they have large controls

I thought the Midas 500 series EQ (very cheap) was a good all arounder also, and easy to handle, good layout

I don't love a whole lot of behringer manufactured gear, but that is for my own picky reasons, the sales speak for themselves I guess
Old 5 days ago
Quick question. I connect my KT-2A through my preamp's TS send and receive outputs using TS cables. Would I be better served using TS-to-XLR cables? Thanks.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

connect to what? cable should be balanced on both ends for optimum signal transfer. That is, XLR or TRS on both ends ideally.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
connect to what? cable should be balanced on both ends for optimum signal transfer. That is, XLR or TRS on both ends ideally.
My pre (UA 4710-D) has 1/4" outputs for send and receive. Klark Teknik products have either 1/4" or XLR inputs/outputs. Right now I'm using standard TS cables to connect the two and they sound fine. I was just wondering if I was doing it wrong.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
My pre (UA 4710-D) has 1/4" outputs for send and receive. Klark Teknik products have either 1/4" or XLR inputs/outputs. Right now I'm using standard TS cables to connect the two and they sound fine. I was just wondering if I was doing it wrong.
You should be using TRS cables, not TS cables ("guitar cables")
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I've got an external mixer. (Mackie Onyx). I looked at using the inserts, but I decided not to bother. I've got the KT-1176 and have the KT-LA2A coming soon. I'm using those devices before going into my AD/DA converter. I have a nice pre-amp, then the 1176 plus the KT-LA2A (when it comes) which is connected into my interface.

TS is usually, fine but preferably TRS balanced. If it sounds good, it is good . If you can see what you are driving into to the KT-2A via the input meters, then it should be good. However, you do "need" to drive the LA2A properly (as with the KT-1176). Make sure you have a decent pre-amp to do it. Some people complain that they get some sort of piss-weak signal/sound and heaps of hiss/noise. That's half Bullsh*t. If you follow the normal methods of gain-staging, you won't have that problem.

You do NEED a decent pre-amp to drive it. When you get to drive the KT properly, you will laugh and enjoy how good it really is. The LA2A or 1176 clone or original ain't gonna make up for a sh*tty input stage. It never will, regardless of whether it's the original or the clone. It just ain't gonna happen. Proper Gain Staging and a good pre-amp. Proper Gain Staging. A good pre-amp. Proper Gain Staging. A good pre-amp. Proper Gain Staging. A Proper Good Pre-Amp.

Last edited by stixstudios; 5 days ago at 01:46 AM.. Reason: Clarification.
Old 4 days ago
Thanks. Btw, when I use my EQP-KT the output is very low. I'm using it after my KT-2A. (Signal chain is preamp > kt-2a > eqp-kt > interface.) Should I move the EQ before the comp?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. Btw, when I use my EQP-KT the output is very low. I'm using it after my KT-2A. (Signal chain is preamp > kt-2a > eqp-kt > interface.) Should I move the EQ before the comp?
Are you feeding it enough signal from the KT-2A?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search