The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overloud releases the EQ550 Gem and gives away 1000 free licenses each day for 1 week Equalizer Plugins
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict
Well after playing with it a bit yesterday I can say that it holds up to other algo plugins, so thank you Overloud. It may not hold its own to pink2 like I thought but it is good enough for me to mot buy pink now (like 300$ cad) and have a really good time with this one.
Old 13th March 2018
Definitely has more balls than the waves API 550. Just did a little a/b comparison on a drum bus. I like the Waves API and expected it to beat the Overloud eq on sound quality but that wasn't the case much to my pleasant surprise. Also the cue feature is a simple but brilliant idea that should be implemented on more eqs.

Last edited by db9d9; 13th March 2018 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Something to add.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerob View Post
Worked for me yesterday after I restarted my DAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Firewall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweethome View Post
Was giving me the same message on Live, until I tried on Logic and voila, works like a charm. Sounds good so far, needs more testing though.
Cheers guys, A full restart did the trick! I don't normally need to restart after installing plugins these days (Program? Yes (which I'd tried) but computer? Not usually.) but I remembered that I didn't shut down last night as I was doing a bootable back-up so gave that a try and now all is good!

R.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head

awesome .... love the cue function ... thanks Overloud
Old 13th March 2018
ukm
Gear Nut

No problems with registering, downloading, installing and activation here. Didn't have the time for serious testing until now - but many thanks for this plugin to the developers.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

@ Gabriele : could you guyz consider a kinda normalised size for similar stuff , like eq s ect ... i do think the 84 size is spot on , while i do find this one a little small , specially on ultra high screen .... a resizable option is imho a must nowdayz giving the display options differences , would be great to consider this for your plugins ...

Thks again to te Overloud team ....
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'm getting the you are currently offline and can't authorize prompt. :/

But so far, it sounds pretty great... I bought Volko last black friday and would like to compare the two. One nice thing about the Volko is the resizable GUI.

Kudos to Overloud for the great (free) EQ!
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
DL'ed it hours ago, mixed a few albums with it, sold it on eBay, thanks for the ride!

Thats really rude, man. And also I doubt you
mixed “a few albums with it” if it was only out
for two days.

And it was a free download.

But no matter..I myself wont be contacting you for
any mixing or mastering, primarily due to
your reply on this thread.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

He was being absurd. Kind of like how you're absurdly literal.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Guru

Thank You Overloud!
I was able to create an account and download yesterday, and install today at the studio. Had no issues, even with the fairly slow building connection at the studio.

The EQ sounds good and I like the idea of extending the features though its based on a classic piece of hardware. It sounds nice, but I think it gets more interesting driving the input a bit. For something simple, I pulled up an acoustic recording I did a couple weeks ago. Steel string, nylon string and vocal. I duplicated the steel string rhythm guitar and put this on one and the API 550b on another. I messed around with the OL and liked what I heard (though I do agree with whomever said that the ON should be the default). Then I set the same settings on both the OL and the API (2db at 10K 2db at 200hz, and 2 db at I think 3K). I toggled back and forth a bunch and did by best to get the levels matched. I found the API to be thicker and more euphonic. But, I can hear the general influence in tone. I've only spent a little time with API hardware, but I get the general vibe.

What I found made the OL sound more like the Waves was to drive the input a bit, around 2-3 db and get the harmonics light flashing a little. They sounded more similar then.

I later had the idea to duplicate the track again and use the stock PT EQ with the same settings. That was a night and day difference. So both Overloud and Waves are onto something...

All in all I can see this being a very useful tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9d9 View Post
Definitely has more balls than the waves API 550. Just did a little a/b comparison on a drum bus. I like the Waves API and expected it to beat the Overloud eq on sound quality but that wasn't the case much to my pleasant surprise. Also the cue feature is a simple but brilliant idea that should be implemented on more eqs.
I didn't think so, until I until I drove the input on the OL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
@ Overloud , please make it bigger like the 84 at least ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
Thanks Overloud! Nice freebie. Mousewheel support would be great at some point. Also, the GUI is a bit small at my resolution, so scalable or just a bit larger would be welcome as well.
Really? I though it was pretty damn large.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Not knowing when the new 'day' starts....Italian time? My local time? GMT? I basically just checked on the hr, every hr I could. Yesterday I started around 1am Italian time (around 5pm my time in Los Angeles) and continued to check on the hr.

12:03am my time--nope, but surprisingly I had success around 1:30am my time (had fallen asleep on the couch, then tried again before hitting the bed). So that woulda been about 930am Italy time.

Go figure.
Yeah, maybe reset is done manually. After trying again, I finally got my license.
Thanks Overloud, mighty generous
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Thats really rude, man. And also I doubt you mixed “a few albums with it” if it was only out for two days.
It was a joke, which was born here on gearslutz years back, in others of the many new-plugin threads, where we are all very exited and waiting impatiently to be able to try the new product out.

However, I understand how misplaced my comment can be seen and I apologize. Also my apology to Overloud. It is a very cool EQ to put out for free. Thank you.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
3. Hundreds of connections really isn't many these days.
Most sites use caching to deal with large amounts of web traffic. But you can't cache individual authorisation requests as each one needs to be processed individually. The chances are the requests go to an external database that may act as the bottleneck, preventing further connections to be made while the system waits.

There are ways around this in application design but it's easy to see how a developer might miss this before the site gets hugged to death by people in search of free stuff - the bottleneck might not be revealed unless you hit some hard limit so can easily be missed during testing. Only PACE could expect to see hundreds of authorisation requests come in simultaneously. No-one else is going to design their licensing system to cope with that load on a day-to-day basis.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

Many thanks! Sounds great!
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was a joke, which was born here on gearslutz years back, in others of the many new-plugin threads, where we are all very exited and waiting impatiently to be able to try the new product out.

However, I understand how misplaced my comment can be seen and I apologize. Also my apology to Overloud. It is a very cool EQ to put out for free. Thank you.
Classy
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Classy
I wouldn't expect less from Henrik, he's a man with classy attitude, always.

Well done, man.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was a joke,
That was the immediate impression I got
Old 15th March 2018
Here for the gear

Love it guys,nice gift Overloud big hugs
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
I think the fact, that the Overloud 550 generates alsiasing, just makes the plugin sound so nicely colored in some frequencies.
how much did they pay you to say this ?
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
I kind of agree with him, aliasing isn't inherently bad. One man's "ugly" and "bad" sounding is another ones "warm" and "crunchy". The PCM42 was supposed to emulate tape delays and failed spectacularily at that but becomes a thing a in it's own right. All the stuff people love about vintage digital nowadays, the downsampling, limited bandwith, noise etc. were considered negative limitations at some point. There are already plugins emulating the sound of low bitrate mp3s, wait another 10 or 20 years and that **** will be the new trend. That said, the plugin should have an oversampling option for those that want the most accurate analog emulation.
Old 15th March 2018
Still getting o f f l i n e 100 times, emailed Overloud no repsonse
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn´t say that, I wrote that.
And as repetition for those who are too lazy to read the whole thread, my whole comment concerning this matter. Its so easy to separate one centence, and give a wrong impression.

I stay behind my statement. I use to give my honest opinion, without any payola - that´s what we use to do in my neighborhood.

Overloud releases the EQ550 Gem and gives away 1000 free licenses each day for 1 week

"So far I have had time to test it with a limited audio material, but the first impression is, that especially mid and mid-high frequencies are supporting of the way, the plugin is constructed. E.g. female vocal can improve a lot of the use of this API 550 emulation.

Especially when using the plugin preamp saturation, the Eq gives a lot of additional harmonics to the signal. There has been some discussion, that the plugin creates also a lot of aliasing, i.e. additional frequency components not belonging to the natural harmonics of the signal. See e.g. the discussion here
Free EQ550 from Overloud! (time limited) (Topic in the 'Effects' forum) | KVR Audio Forum

Some people find, that optional oversampling-button could be useful addition for the next updates of the plugin.

I see the thing a bit differently: I have several Eqs, both both transparent "surgical", and then different hardware emulations, more or less coloring ones.
I enjoy the Overloud 550 coloring chracter, it sound really sweet with some material. At the same time I suspect, this Eq is not the best option for some other audio material.

But that´s the whole point: you have different tools for different jobs.

If Overloud will add things to the possible new updates of this 550, I really wish that they don´t at the same time abolish the nice character, which makes the plugin in the present form really unique and beautiful.
I´ve seen this happening, when a new update of a plugin is too "polished".

Once again: a very good, coloring Eq from Overloud!

(For those who are interested aliasing, a very good presentation here)"

YouTube
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Addict

If you have problems with authorizing, make sure your OS isn't blocking www.overloud.com (e.g. in Windows hosts file). If it is... you probably know why.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uralittlebitch View Post
full restart doesn't do it.
I suspect the restart was just coincidence and the issue is with the server overload.

I just kept trying every 20 mins or so and eventually it went after about 3 hours.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

No problems downloading and registering here. First tests made me very happy. I don't have any API style plugins so this was perfect for me.

Thanks a lot, Overloud!
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. Even as a freebie, in the current marketplace, I think it's not too much to ask that a plugin not alias. Other Overloud GEM EQ's don't exhibit this amount of aliasing, so they clearly have a way of dealing with it.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Are you hearing digital hash in your sound?
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Agreed. Even as a freebie, in the current marketplace, I think it's not too much to ask that a plugin not alias. Other Overloud GEM EQ's don't exhibit this amount of aliasing, so they clearly have a way of dealing with it.
This is bollocks.
There are very good effects in the market, which produce aliasing, then there are those, which produce aliasing and include oversampling option to reduce it - and of course those which do not generate aliasing. But very often plugins, which include saturation, produce at least some amount aliasing besides natural harmonics.

If you don´t like the sound, don´t use the product. Use some other plugin.
I have different tools for different purposes.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Are you hearing digital hash in your sound?
An interesting question because the answer is not overtly in a single instance. However, the aliasing does increase when pushing the saturation and when doing so over an entire mix can lead to a sense of edginess. Which is not a terribly scientific description either. But tools like Plugin Doctor allow us to see the aliasing and confirm that what our ears are telling us is not wrong. I just don't understand why Overloud would not use the same tech that they use in their other GEM EQ's to combat this.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

well, for free i guess you can't complain about aliasing, but for $139 you sure as heck can...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search