The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overloud releases the EQ550 Gem and gives away 1000 free licenses each day for 1 week Equalizer Plugins
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
It's in the manual, from memory I think it cuts at 50hz and 15khz, can't remember the slope though.
the manual says

"FILTER -50 Hz to 15 kHz band-pass flter."

what does that mean?

is it a fixed low cut and high cut filter?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

I compared this to sknote ch5 last night briefly as its an api model and im only using that and slickeq ge.

This sounded pretty good; the high shelf is smoother boosting than ch5 which wasn't worse just much more aggresive sounding, could go either way depending on what you want. The mid cuts sounded pretty similar. I will test some more but on first impressions i liked it and think it's very usable, want to test the saturation out on more sources, sounded quite good though.

I really like the api proportional q style, very nice for cutting. Not sure whether it'll stay in my folder as I like being stripped back, either way the free gift is appreciated, thanks overloud.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
the manual says

"FILTER -50 Hz to 15 kHz band-pass flter."

what does that mean?

is it a fixed low cut and high cut filter?
Exactly, it means its a fixed cut at 50 and 15k; rolling off the top and bottom.
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear
Hello,

Thank you all for your kind words!
We would like to apologise for the authorising issue, our server is overloaded by the number of requests and that's why someone is receiving the message "You are offline".
We recommend to retry after a couple of hours or later today.

Gabriele, Overloud Team
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by overloud View Post
our server is overloaded by the number of requests and that's why someone is receiving the message "You are offline".
Hi Gabriele, I understand what you are saying, but you have given out in the last 24 hours a maximum of 2,000 licenses. Are you really saying that your server can't handle 2,000 requests in 24 hours? That does seem quite strange.

By the way, thank you for the free plugin, I'm really enjoying it.
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Hi Gabriele, I understand what you are saying, but you have given out in the last 24 hours a maximum of 2,000 licenses. Are you really saying that your server can't handle 2,000 requests in 24 hours? That does seem quite strange.

By the way, thank you for the free plugin, I'm really enjoying it.
Problem is not related with the 2000 licenses.
It's about the hundreds of concurrent web connections of people visiting our website to get information about this event.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by overloud View Post
It's about the hundreds of concurrent web connections of people visiting our website to get information about this event.
I hope you are looking at upgrading your web hosting as hundreds of web connections isn't really that many, not in this day and age.
Old 13th March 2018
Deleted User
Thank you Overload!

Great gift...

Looking to try it..
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Thank you Overload!

Great gift...

Looking to try it..
Seems their server is "Overloaded".
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the free gift!
Please fully support mousewheel scrolling on a future update, it works weird at the moment.
The harmonic distortion sounds awesome, thanks again.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Thank you Overloud! I find this a great new coloring Eq to my toolbox.
So far I have had time to test it with a limited audio material, but the first impression is, that especially mid and mid-high frequencies are supporting of the way, the plugin is constructed. E.g. female vocal can improve a lot of the use of this API 550 emulation.

Especially when using the plugin preamp saturation, the Eq gives a lot of additional harmonics to the signal. There has been some discussion, that the plugin creates also a lot of aliasing, i.e. additional frequency components not belonging to the natural harmonics of the signal. See e.g. the discussion here
Free EQ550 from Overloud! (time limited) (Topic in the 'Effects' forum) | KVR Audio Forum

Some people find, that optional oversampling-button could be useful addition for the next updates of the plugin.

I see the thing a bit differently: I have several Eqs, both both transparent "surgical", and then different hardware emulations, more or less coloring ones.
I enjoy the Overloud 550 coloring chracter, it sound really sweet with some material. At the same time I suspect, this Eq is not the best option for some other audio material.

But that´s the whole point: you have different tools for different jobs.

If Overloud will add things to the possible new updates of this 550, I really wish that they don´t at the same time abolish the nice character, which makes the plugin in the present form really unique and beautiful.
I´ve seen this happening, when a new update of a plugin is too "polished".

Once again: a very good, coloring Eq from Overloud!

(For those who are interested aliasing, a very good presentation here
YouTube
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Once again, the entitlement mentality of some people...

A company gives away a free product and the complaints about a slow web server come in? Comparisons to a $200 product start? I say, be grateful that Overloud didn't put at least a $20 price tag on this!

It costs money to buy better servers. Good, fast, cheap pick two comes to mind. You want good and cheap it ain't gonna be fast so there 'ya go! Especially not on day one when KFC is giving away their grilled chicken for free. (see Lessons Learned From The Great Free-Chicken Fiasco Of 2009 : Monkey See : NPR if you don't catch my reference.)

<deleted by mod>

Last edited by Diogo C; 13th March 2018 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Not the place for this.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Can a guy throw a joke? Sigh...
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Of course you can.
And this is mild, what you joked, go and see which kind of humor blossoms in the Kvr site (the link is above).
I think 99,99 % of these people appreciate Overloud very much - some just have to twist things a bit - nothing serious.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For what it's worth I wasn't responding to your post. I actually laughed pretty hard at it!
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
I hope you are looking at upgrading your web hosting as hundreds of web connections isn't really that many, not in this day and age.
Are you serious cprompt? They are giving away a thousands of free plugins and you are complaining about web connections?
Overloud seems like a quality company which have decent website, bug free product, installer, manual, presets etc ready when they release a "free" product. Isn't that enough for you?

Why not concentrate on complaining more about another Italian developer which have none of those....oh sorry I forget...you are a fanboy....
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

How do you Guys Like the Plugin?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Read my post - I think many share this opinion.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
It has a 1.29 dB boost by default, so have that in mind. Turning on a band by touching a control would improve the workflow, instead of having an on/off button. Other than that it's a nice EQ, "cue" button helps spotting troublesome frequencies faster. Also, it has a nice color when you drive the input gain. Thanks Overloud for this nice freebie!
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Once again, the entitlement mentality of some people...

A company gives away a free product and the complaints about a slow web server come in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
Are you serious cprompt? They are giving away a thousands of free plugins and you are complaining about web connections?
No sense of entitlement here, and I'm not complaining about their web server either. First of all, I've already thanked and complimented them on their free plugin, for which I'm very grateful. It sounds great, it really does.

But I was very surprised as to how difficult it was to authorise it, and their response to the issue. They stated that "hundreds" of connections brought their web server to its knees. So, a few things:

1. Knowing they were going to give away 5,000 free licenses, they should've tested their server platform to ensure it could cope (which it couldn't)

2. This is their business, no matter how you cut the cake, they sell, distribute and authorise their products via their web platform. On the whole, their plugins aren't cheap and perhaps more should be invested in it. Perhaps.

3. Hundreds of connections really isn't many these days.

4. Yes, quality web hosting doesn't come cheap. OTOH, cheap web hosting doesn't come with quality. You have to make a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
Why not concentrate on complaining more about another Italian developer which have none of those....oh sorry I forget...you are a fanboy...
Nope, no I'm not, just doing my best to give a reasoned, mature response based on my experience. I'm sorry if I offended you.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks Overloud! Nice freebie. Mousewheel support would be great at some point. Also, the GUI is a bit small at my resolution, so scalable or just a bit larger would be welcome as well.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The aliasing could be better. I have compared it to VCL-4 which is also zero latency / doesn't involve oversampling, and it's much lower than this EQ.

Not trying to make it sound bad, just an observation.
These things are always subjective.
I think the fact, that the Overloud 550 generates alsiasing, just makes the plugin sound so nicely colored in some frequencies. It doesn´t work with every audio material, but if you made the plugin "neutral" overall Eq, it would loose the uniquity for specific purposes.

I rather have this kind of special tools in my arsenal, than only good average ones. Its same with the compressors: I need at least one transparent quality compressor, and then several compressors with a specific edge, for different purposes.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
These things are always subjective.
I think the fact, that the Overloud 550 generates alsiasing, just makes the plugin sound so nicely colored in some frequencies. It doesn´t work with every audio material, but if you made the plugin "neutral" overall Eq, it would loose the uniquity for specific purposes.

I rather have this kind of special tools in my arsenal, than only good average ones. Its same with the compressors: I need at least one transparent quality compressor, and then several compressors with a specific edge, for different purposes.
I deleted my post before I saw your quote. I have just received some information from Ray about different saturation algos and VCL-4 is mainly an opamp based device, so it's much cleaner and distorts less.

So please disregard my observation, aliasing or not EQ550 is a nice freebie.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

There we agree.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Anybody else still getting this? Second day in and, uhm, I'm obviously connected to the internet
Attached Thumbnails
Overloud releases the EQ550 Gem and gives away 1000 free licenses each day for 1 week-screen-shot-2018-03-13-18.32.39.png  
Old 13th March 2018
Using as a drum bus eq in a mix right now. It sounds great. The frequency analysis is a little frightening and bears zero resemblance to the Waves 550 a or b for whatever it's worth. I'm happy with the sound though and don't hear any unpleasant artifacts. I think I'll keep it on my current mix. Nice color. Thanks Overloud.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Anybody else still getting this? Second day in and, uhm, I'm obviously connected to the internet
Worked for me yesterday after I restarted my DAW.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilletteMan View Post
8 AM (european time), and all 1000 licenses gone already?!
Yeah, right...
Not knowing when the new 'day' starts....Italian time? My local time? GMT? I basically just checked on the hr, every hr I could. Yesterday I started around 1am Italian time (around 5pm my time in Los Angeles) and continued to check on the hr.

12:03am my time--nope, but surprisingly I had success around 1:30am my time (had fallen asleep on the couch, then tried again before hitting the bed). So that woulda been about 930am Italy time.

Go figure.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Firewall?
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Was giving me the same message on Live, until I tried on Logic and voila, works like a charm. Sounds good so far, needs more testing though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search