The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube Launches Official Weiss DS1-MK3 Mastering Plug-in
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear
Just because his post is lengthy and touches on a number of related topics doesn’t make it “baffling.” But I guess baffling is in the mind of the beholder.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Much props to Weiss and Softube. Without even testing this on my own DAW, I've determined that it has made my top 4 list and is possibly the best.
That was the baffling bit.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

He's the most prolific writer on all of GS as far as I've seen!

Lots of interesting little experiments going on in these essays of his, especially the ones in the Airwindows threads.

I have to admit though, I can't stomach reading the posts all the way through.

theMuzzl3... your posts are, more often than not, like streams of consciousness without a full footing in the discussion of the thread. You don't leave much, if any space for engagement in what you're speaking about. All that most of the other members, myself included, can do is take a quick breeze through and often marvel at your unbridled exposition of whatever it is that comes to your mind, be it the results of an experiment you were either happy or unpleased with, a ramble on your thoughts about AI systems in limiters as you've written here...

It's just a bit much to read in one sitting, considering the sheer amount of energy with which you throw it onto the forum page.

Best wishes!

V

Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
Just because his post is lengthy and touches on a number of related topics doesn’t make it “baffling.” But I guess baffling is in the mind of the beholder.
This isn't very subjective here. His post is baffling in the context of this thread. It's like going over to the "Porsche 911 Drivers Club" and saying "Hey guys. I don't own a Porsche 911, nor have I ever driven one but from what I've seen it's the 4th best car on the market - maybe even the best" and then spiral into a whole discussion on various semi related things and then wrapping it up with talk about how AI might destroy humanity or something.

We live in a 30 day demo world now with plug ins so there's nothing stopping him or anyone from trying the DS1 demo and then discussing it's flaws and attributes in this thread.
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Any long time user of both this and TDR limiter 6 ? Which one do you favor most often on rock/heavy thing, and why ?
I'm demoing both right now and I'm having a really hard time picking a favourite !
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
Any long time user of both this and TDR limiter 6 ? Which one do you favor most often on rock/heavy thing, and why ?
I'm demoing both right now and I'm having a really hard time picking a favourite !
If you're in split minds, it's €50 vs $450. If you don't know why you need DS-1 specifically, that extra $400 would seem like an awful waste of money.
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
If you're in split minds, it's €50 vs $450. If you don't know why you need DS-1 specifically, that extra $400 would seem like an awful waste of money.
I record and mix mostly but like most regular folks I get clients that don't have the budget to hire a ME.
In such cases if I don't "master" myself, they send my mixes to random dudes or friends with a few cheap prices and a bunch of plugins, who mostly crush the mixes and carve the mids.

My goal right now is to improve my results in the "mastering" stage.

I've been trying few different options over the past 10 days, and these two plugins have proven to be a definite upgrade over what I've been using.
Even though they do different things, it seams pretty clear to me that they both are meant as last stage compression and limiting.

I like a lot of what each is doing and the Weiss being on sale right now, the choice is not that obvious to me.

Last edited by Jackie Moon; 10th March 2019 at 04:41 PM..
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
I record and mix mostly but like most regular folks I get clients that don't have the budget to hire a ME.
In such cases I don't "master" myself, they send my mixes to random dudes or friends with a few cheap prices and a bunch of plugins, who mostly crush the mixes and carve the mids.

My goal right now is to improve my results in the "mastering" stage.

I've been trying few different options over the past 10 days, and these two plugins have proven to be a definite upgrade over what I've been using.
Even though they do different things, it seams pretty clear to me that they both are meant as last stage compression and limiting.

I like a lot of what each is doing and the Weiss being on sale right now, the choice is not that obvious to me.
If you find you can get similar results, choose the one that suits your workflow and is more intuitive to dial in.

Functionality aside, L6 can be transparent or you can add colour. DS-1 has a polished sound that you may or may not want on every track you master.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

The more I use this plug the more I love it. It's absolutely brilliant.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
The more I use this plug the more I love it. It's absolutely brilliant.
Worth every penny. What do you find yourself using it for most?
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Worth every penny. What do you find yourself using it for most?
I has become my go-to on piano and acoustic guitars but I also use it a lot on electrics. It’s also the only plugin that I use on the master buss, after my analog processing. Anytime I bypass it the sound loses some life even though I’m doing 1db of gain reduction.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I has become my go-to on piano and acoustic guitars but I also use it a lot on electrics. It’s also the only plugin that I use on the master buss, after my analog processing. Anytime I bypass it the sound loses some life even though I’m doing 1db of gain reduction.
Nice, same here, love the tone on the master bus. 1-2dB GR after an SSL unit (grunt work).

Also my go to deesser.

If you have Nebula try the Anamod ATS library (ATE) by AlexB, the Ampex 351 sounds great after DS-1.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice, same here, love the tone on the master bus. 1-2dB GR after an SSL unit (grunt work).

Also my go to deesser.

If you have Nebula try the Anamod ATS library (ATE) by AlexB, the Ampex 351 sounds great after DS-1.
Reckon I'll check that out... I tried DS-1 *after* Kush Deflector with ATE before that. Sounding wicked. Big tones into digital control. I'll try it the other way round next mastering session.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven’t gone into the Nebula universe yet and probably won’t for a while but when I do I’ll try it, thanks for the tip.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like it on vocals as well
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Yeah it can work wonders. Still can't believe the GR you can hit this comp with and it still sounds good.

If you have a harsh/digital track, DS-1 doing the legwork fed into El Rey for the tone can work wonders.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Oh yes, it’s great on there too.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
If you have a harsh/digital track, DS-1 doing the legwork fed into El Rey for the tone can work wonders.
I see I'm not the only one to have discovered the impossibly good sound of that combo. A (very very good facsimile of a) DS1 into a (very very good facsimile of a) BA-6A… what an absolutely insane year for compressor plugins 2018 was. Edit: Whoops, El Rey didn't actually come out until January '19. But the point stands!
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Addict

i've had this weiss since it came out - and of late not been using it much since ive got a ton of new ones - you know how it is - then I go back to this one - and it just does the job - whats the main thing about it ? its transparant - after using it again I realise its the best ive got - must use it more - dont really need another a compressor when youve got this - unless your looking for crazy weird pumping effects , maybe another might be better for it - but transparant and keeping a original source sounding as it does - it does a great job
Old 4th August 2019
Lives for gear
Unbelievable compressor. My favorite ITB mixbus compressor... period. No other software compressor touches it—No matter how great the vintage skeuomorphism GUI looks!!!
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Anybody think this will go on sale?
Old 23rd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Anybody think this will go on sale?
Probably need to wait till Nov for the big sales then.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Drum bus
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Super levelled sub bass :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi - can anyone advise

I am using weiss as my final comp / limiter on my tracks.

I am mainly compressing about 1db or less - sometimes a bit more - then using the dial on the far right to increase the volume of the compression

This then goes into the limiter and in general its not triggering much - occasional 1/2 db rises in limiting maybe a bit more but not much - obviously this introduces distortion though not much

So my question to you guys is SHOULD I AVOID the weiss limiter circuit ?

I have heard others say you should - so should I be using a separate limiter instead of the inbuilt weiss limiter circuit ?

I have a choice of the fabfillter L / sonnox / stealth / dmg on my daw.

Its really important I get this right as my demo is going off soon - I am just not sure of if the weiss limiter section is as good as the compressor side of it - the compressor is top notch - real great sound to it and nice and transparent.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
Hi - can anyone advise

I am using weiss as my final comp / limiter on my tracks.

I am mainly compressing about 1db or less - sometimes a bit more - then using the dial on the far right to increase the volume of the compression

This then goes into the limiter and in general its not triggering much - occasional 1/2 db rises in limiting maybe a bit more but not much - obviously this introduces distortion though not much

So my question to you guys is SHOULD I AVOID the weiss limiter circuit ?

I have heard others say you should - so should I be using a separate limiter instead of the inbuilt weiss limiter circuit ?

I have a choice of the fabfillter L / sonnox / stealth / dmg on my daw.

Its really important I get this right as my demo is going off soon - I am just not sure of if the weiss limiter section is as good as the compressor side of it - the compressor is top notch - real great sound to it and nice and transparent.
That's quite a stable of limiters you've got there! I'm jealous.

The peak limiter in the DS1 is not really the same idea as those other ones, which all have various tricks up their sleeves for achieving loudness and transparency (i.e. lookahead, program-dependent attack, release, frequency-specific limiting, clipping, whatever the heck it is the Enhance fader in the Oxford Limiter does, etc.).

The DS1 peak limiter has no tricks; it's meant to avoid tiny hard clips (the DS1 hardware outputs 24-bit audio), not to make your stuff loud. In fact, the compressor algorithm in the DS1 (at a high ratio) is more similar to the limiters you mentioned. Maybe try disabling the peak limiter, and then using a second instance of DS1, with the ratio at 1000:1 and a moderate knee setting and a fast-ish attack (1-3ms?), fast release time very fast (~50ms) and slow release time slow (~1s) with the peak limiter just blinking!

The DS1 peak limiter is not, however, useless. Aside from being quite transparent for shaving tiny overs, it somehow has an unusual tone or vibe to it when you find the right compression settings to feed it with; it's bright and exciting. Sometimes that sounds cool.

Most likely you'll get the best results with a combination of some of those plugs; the DS1 for master bus compression and maybe a bit of peak limiting for the tone, and then splitting the final limiting between Limitless and Pro-L (i.e. feed Limitless into Pro-L, do a little bit of gain reduction with both of them). Or maybe Pro-L is too smooth, and you want the hard-edged, more distortion-prone punch of the Oxford Limiter, or some other different combination.
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

I don’t know how long it has been since it was released but this is still by far my favourite software compressor.

It is untouchable for de-essing and for rescue work on the master bus on sub par mixes.

Also incredible for pulling a drum buss forwards without pulling peaks up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search