The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube Launches Official Weiss DS1-MK3 Mastering Plug-in
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroxp View Post
OK, let me re-phrase, Algo RED does everything every other digital (both HW and SW) EQ does, but way better
This is incorrect. Algorithmix Red only does linear phase EQuing. So it doesn't do what any hardware (analogue) EQ does. If you want an EQ that does everything (including what Red, Orange and Blue do) get Equilibrium.

Alistair
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
I'd be surprised if Algorithmix are truly still around, or else they would have invested a few of those thousand dollar cha-chings into upkeep. Even their products page hasn't been updated since 2009. They're as good as kaput - and for those prices, it's not hard to see why.
Yeah, which is kind of puzzling. If only they gave their GUIs an overhaul plus a $200 price tag per plugin, maybe a few feature updates here and there, I'm sure they would have sold a ton over the past 5 years or so.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Looks like you can get a cheaper Compressor / Limiter only option now. US$299

The mastering stage is the last chance to make or break a track, so getting it right can be the difference between a battle won or lost. With such small tolerances, it’s here that the quality of your tools matters most. Enter the new Weiss Compressor/Limiter.

The Modern and Transparent Mastering Compressor/Limiter
The name Weiss is synonymous with quality in mastering, and a truly exceptional compressor/limiter is essential to any serious mastering engineer.

Earlier this year Softube brought the Weiss DS1-MK3 digital dynamics processor, the top-of-the-line go-to for a huge proportion of the world’s greatest mastering gurus, into the software realm. Now, with the Weiss Compressor/Limiter, the DSP-happy Swedes draw on its essence (and code-base) to bring a totally focused and fit-for-purpose modern answer to the question ‘how should I deal with dynamics on my mix bus?’

The startling transparency and effectiveness of the Weiss digital compression algorithms in the Compressor/Limiter, and its unrivalled versatility in terms of detailed control over attack and release times, knee settings, ratio, threshold, filters (low pass and band pass), and other crucial factors, make the product a must-have.

And that’s before even mentioning the cutting-edge graphical visualizations – users will be able to see in detail the precise effect they’re having on their signal, allowing them to know their material better and make the right calls with a degree of precision and detail that even the very best ears can’t promise.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Addict

Looks like the new compressor/limiter will be available to folks that bought the DS1 bundle, nice!
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Where are you getting the info on the compressor/limiter?
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Where are you getting the info on the compressor/limiter?
Softube - Weiss Compressor/Limiter
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Maniac

$249 now for the compressor/limiter
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilalin View Post
$249 now for the compressor/limiter
F#^* ! , shoulda waited!
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

The Compressor/Limiter didn't immediately show up in my Softube account but, oddly, did arrive immediately after I requested a Demo. I was just trying to get the download since the iLok asset had already been added to my account (I have the DS1 bundle).
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
This is incorrect. Algorithmix Red only does linear phase EQuing. So it doesn't do what any hardware (analogue) EQ does. If you want an EQ that does everything (including what Red, Orange and Blue do) get Equilibrium.

Alistair
I'm demoing Equilibrium now after seeing you guys rave about it and it's the best EQ I've ever used. I have the Pro Q and Eiosis Air EQ too...I put Equilibrium before the Softube Console One and use it mainly for initial shaping and fixing up the track and then I use the C1 to add character. Absolutely amazingly good EQ so thanks for recommending.
Old 25th June 2018
Lives for gear

I've seen about 4 of the full Weiss bundles come up for sale just on this forum alone since it was released and wondering why? I don't recall a new plugin popping up in such quantity in the classifieds before (freebies aside). Is it reality hitting home when the credit card statement arrives or something else?
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Soooo any bets on when (if??) the Softube Weiss EQ1 software port will drop? To have both the DS1 and the EQ1, affordable and in the box… what a crazy thing to imagine.

I bet that if they are planning on such a port that they're being super careful about the interface… the interface of the EQ1 makes a lot of sense in the physical world but would be a bit weird on a computer screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they went with something similar to the looks of the Weiss Deess plugin – if, of course, they're working on such a thing in the first place, haha
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post

Alistair
I never said or compared the Red to any "analogue" EQs. Since the implied meaning when comparing audio tools is mostly the sonic aspect of what they do, my statement is about just that. Yes, I owned the Equilibrium and the Red made it look like a rear-view mirror memory in comparison sonically. I don't know what other things the Equilibrium does and what bells and whistles it has, and how good it sounds on its own. I'm sure it's a great EQ. And how many of those here suggesting other EQs over Algorithmix actually do own that $2000 thingy and do have objective reasons to find other EQs better sound-wise? I find it very similar to the wide spread notion here that the Softube Weiss is nothing but just another compressor and the general attitude of voting down something just because you don't have the financial resources to afford it? I can't afford a Gulfstream but will never say that that flying Delta is way better...
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
Soooo any bets on when (if??) the Softube Weiss EQ1 software port will drop? To have both the DS1 and the EQ1, affordable and in the box… what a crazy thing to imagine.

I bet that if they are planning on such a port that they're being super careful about the interface… the interface of the EQ1 makes a lot of sense in the physical world but would be a bit weird on a computer screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they went with something similar to the looks of the Weiss Deess plugin – if, of course, they're working on such a thing in the first place, haha
It’s a guess, but if they port it - I imagine they will keep the original interface, so as to sell a ‘true to original plugin’. I’ve gotta say, I was not a fan of the other interfaces that softube came up with for the auxiliary ‘based off’ plugins. I feel they could learn a lot from the likes of fab filter and dmg in that regard.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
It’s a guess, but if they port it - I imagine they will keep the original interface, so as to sell a ‘true to original plugin’. I’ve gotta say, I was not a fan of the other interfaces that softube came up with for the auxiliary ‘based off’ plugins. I feel they could learn a lot from the likes of fab filter and dmg in that regard.
I agree that the "modules" in the DS1 bundle are a bit of a miss in terms of interface. The frequency analyzer is pretty enough, but hiding SO many controls in the slide-out menu is not for me. I can't think of an instance where I've used a module instead of the full DS1.

As others have said earlier in this thread, somehow the original DS1 interface just works, even on a screen.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

I want a bloody mix knob in DS1 and the ability to choose a larger display. Either that or the F-ing hipass in the Compressor/Limiter. Like, GUYS?!?! What the hell? Why can't I have the EXACT same filters that are available in the original when the functionality is virtually identical between the 2 plugins.

Bloody stupid.

Been wanting to say that for a while actually.

Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Omitting the HP filter on the comp makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 18th August 2018
Don't know know why they felt the need for the separate compressor, I live the original a lot. If you need some help, just go to the presets and make a little adjustment. It always makes the mixes sound better.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Don't know know why they felt the need for the separate compressor, I live the original a lot. If you need some help, just go to the presets and make a little adjustment. It always makes the mixes sound better.
Well for those of us Console One owners I can now use the Weiss in the compressor section and it sounds phenomenal.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear
Wanted to check in how this is sitting post honeymoon period?

Especially interested with those using it in a mix scenario? I can’t imagine there’s 26 pages of mastering freak comments here
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post

Especially interested with those using it in a mix scenario? I can’t imagine there’s 26 pages of mastering freak comments here
It has become indispensable in my workflow. The more you get to know it the better it becomes. That falls in the Capt. Obvious category but unlike most plugins where you get the gist in the first day or so, these two have hidden gems that take time to find and understand. I couldn't sum it up here, it's really a matter of twisting and turning knobs while sending various genres through it, paying attention to the effects on depth and width, not just loudness. This is all to say that I like it more today than I did when I first bought it.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

After a few months with it I can safely say it's the best fixing and finishing tool I've ever purchased. I use this with Limitless on the master bus on pretty much every session now and there's almost nothing it can't do- especially after running multiple instances of it where you could use one instance as a frequency compressor and the next instance as a broadband compressor.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
After a few months with it I can safely say it's the best fixing and finishing tool I've ever purchased. I use this with Limitless on the master bus on pretty much every session now and there's almost nothing it can't do- especially after running multiple instances of it where you could use one instance as a frequency compressor and the next instance as a broadband compressor.
Nice. Thnx for input.

I’m working on a project where my usual HW bus chains and combinations appear to be redundant (SSL Manley API) - I much preferred the digital print (this came as a bit of a surprise)

Going to test possible ITB bus compressors in place of, or in addition to the UAD SSL which is my default ITB for a quick print but never expected I’d be swapping out the HW chain for this.

I was thinking about the Weiss in this role tho...
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice. Thnx for input.

I’m working on a project where my usual HW bus chains and combinations appear to be redundant (SSL Manley API) - I much preferred the digital print (this came as a bit of a surprise)

Going to test possible ITB bus compressors in place of, or in addition to the UAD SSL which is my default ITB for a quick print but never expected I’d be swapping out the HW chain for this.

I was thinking about the Weiss in this role tho...
Yeah the DS1 is a swiss army knife. It's marketed as a De-esser but it's really an all-in-one fixing tool. I've de-harshed my mixes with it. I've removed low end mud with it. I've used it as a traditional de-esser. I've tightened up my mix and added weight with it as well. It just kind of does everything.

The great thing about the bundle is that it also comes with the maximizer, de-esser and compressor plugs separately so you don't have to run multiple instances of DS1 since it's high CPU. Highly recommended.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Compressing low end hard with clean compression and mixing in is a great way of creating a tighter low end with some more punch if needed
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Maniac
Hey!

I’ve bought this one when it was launched and have been using it ever since. Yesterday I used it to smash a mix against it’s brick wall limiter, but reeeealy smash it.

Absolutely spectacular! So many uses for this thing and it really excels doing so many different things...
So happy.
Back to work!

Ale

Last edited by alemarti; 20th October 2018 at 06:38 PM..
Old 22nd October 2018
Anyone know if there's an upgrade planned from the new Comp/Lim to the full package? Only seeing ones from the DEESS and MM1 so far. Might just be due to the Comp/Lim being new.
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear
Hi! Just demoing the DS1 mk3 now.. pretty impressed so far. Only got a stem recall to rebalance a new vocal on the desk right now, but the control is really impressive..

But please help..

I have the DS1 on mono vocal using the dual comp vocal setting as a start. However it’s not hitting channel 2 at all. I have a really nice mid range compression setup in channel 1 but the broadband comp in channel 2 is not registering any amount of gain reduction or even input.

I’m sure this is a newb oversight, but if someone could suggest where I might be going wrong? I’d appreciate it!
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:

I have the DS1 on mono vocal using the dual comp vocal setting as a start. However it’s not hitting channel 2 at all. I have a really nice mid range compression setup in channel 1 but the broadband comp in channel 2 is not registering any amount of gain reduction or even input.

I’m sure this is a newb oversight, but if someone could suggest where I might be going wrong? I’d appreciate it!
The DS1 is stereo (or unlinked stereo) only; the two channels cannot be cascaded into each other, which is what you mean I think? You will need two instances, one for selective band compression and one for broadband. Before the plugin port some folks (with deep pockets!) bought two hardware units just for this purpose!
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
The DS1 is stereo (or unlinked stereo) only; the two channels cannot be cascaded into each other, which is what you mean I think? You will need two instances, one for selective band compression and one for broadband. Before the plugin port some folks (with deep pockets!) bought two hardware units just for this purpose!
Awesome. Would appear the best use of it anyway! But deep pockets indeed. Thanks!

Shame the latency screws so hard with the delay compensation engine.. 2 instances will probably send me over the edge.

Look forward to digging deeper in to this one. Seems a great comp and set of tools at any price or format

Last edited by fredouli; 25th October 2018 at 04:45 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search