The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid Unveils Pro Tools 2018 Enabling Faster Music Creation
Old 26th January 2018
News Desk Editor

The industry’s leading digital audio workstation delivers powerful workflows that accelerate music creation and spark creativity

Avid, a leading global media technology provider for the creation, distribution and monetization of media assets for global media organizations, enterprise users and individual creative professionals, today announced a new version of the industry-leading digital audio workstation Pro Tools®. Part of Avid’s comprehensive ecosystem of creative tools and powered by MediaCentral®, the industry’s most open and efficient platform designed for media, the release of Pro Tools 2018 enhances the creative experience and accelerates workflows for greater collaboration with new features including Track Presets, retrospective MIDI record, MIDI editing enhancements, Playlist Comping enhancements, and much more.

In direct response to customer feedback and building on recent releases of Pro Tools music creation features, Pro Tools 2018 enables songwriters, composers, musicians, producers, and mixers to focus more on the creative process and less on laborious tasks. The new retrospective MIDI record feature ensures that users will never lose a performance, while shortcuts to quickly transpose, trim notes and edit velocities make music creation quicker and easier.

“With Pro Tools 2018 musicians can create at the speed of their inspiration and turn ideas into music,” said Dana Ruzicka, Chief Product Officer, Avid. “Avid product releases are centered around feedback from our community of professional and aspiring musicians, and with Avid’s creative ecosystem, they can collaborate and create music in Pro Tools more fluidly than ever before.”

New Pro Tools 2018 features that help musicians focus on their craft and creativity include:
  • Track Presets enabling quick preset browsing to build sessions on the fly.
  • New playlist comping workflows to save valuable screen real estate, and provide the ability to edit grouped tracks with ease and work quickly from Waveform view.
  • The ability to easily convert sessions to cloud-enabled product files for faster collaboration.
  • Mix Window EQ Graphs to intuitively display the combined EQ effects inserted on a track.
At the Avid NAMM booth (North Hall, Booth #15501), world-class producers and mixers—including Justin Gray (Sublime with Rome), Lu Diaz (DJ Khaled), and Mauricio Rengifo and Andrés Torres (Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, Justin Bieber)—will be discussing how they use Pro Tools to create the biggest music hits.

For more information, visit Avid at NAMM 2018.

Availability: Pro Tools 2018 is available now.

Attached Thumbnails
Avid Unveils Pro Tools 2018 Enabling Faster Music Creation-2018-pt.jpg  
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

I expect I’m going to really like that ability to audition parts and comp from within the main playlist.
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Is this an update or an upgrade?
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgbravo View Post
Is this an update or an upgrade?
If you have a perpetual license for version 12 without an active update plan, your current license will not work with this 2018 version.

If you use Avid's new Application Manager to check for updates to your Pro Tools app, it will take your version 12 to version 2018 without any big flag that your license may not work after update.
Old 26th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
If you have a perpetual license for version 12 without an active update plan, your current license will not work with this 2018 version.

If you use Avid's new Application Manager to check for updates to your Pro Tools app, it will take your version 12 to version 2018 without any big flag that your license may not work after update.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Can you install this alongside v12?
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I'd like to know this too please.
Old 27th January 2018
+ I'm also confused by the Avid upgrades available:

Can someone tell me if I upgrade my perpetual PT12 license without active plan (I would pay 299$ for updating and a year of update) when it'll stop will I be able to use the latest PT2018 version downloaded or do I have to go back using my PT12??
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
Clear as mud, ain’t it?
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
No, you can't. This new version (18) replaces V12. You can only still co-install V10 with this version. It's mentioned in the Readme if I'm not mistaken.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods View Post

Can someone tell me if I upgrade my perpetual PT12 license without active plan (I would pay 299$ for updating and a year of update) when it'll stop will I be able to use the latest PT2018 version downloaded or do I have to go back using my PT12??

I believe at the end of that 12 months, you could carry on with the final 2018 (or early 2019) version that you grabbed. That is, of course, unless your existing perpetual license doesn't enable that ....

I thought I could help ... but no!
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd like to know this too please.
Yes, you can. But only on Mac, not PC.

Simply rename the PT app before running the installer.
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
No, you can't. This new version (18) replaces V12. You can only still co-install V10 with this version. It's mentioned in the Readme if I'm not mistaken.
Can this actually be done? PT 2018.1 needs at least El Capitan, according to Avid, and PT 10 won't work properly after Mavericks. Plugin menus black out on Yosemite so I reckon even it was previously installed before upgrading to 10.11, 10.12 or 10.13, if it manages to open you'd be dealing with all sorts of bugs and crashes.

PT 10 is getting really long on the tooth now. In order to use it, one cannot hope to run it alongside other 2018 DAWs such as PT 2018 or Logic for that matter, as OSs requirements are getting tighter and tighter by the year - at least for macs. Windows might be a completely different story...
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

it’s just a rename. Yes, the 2018/2019 version you stop the update plan on will continue to work.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

This version is the most stable Pro Tools I’ve used in years (especially since Pro Tools 12). Spent several hours over a couple days with no crashes, CPU errors, assertion errors, or anything. Finally feels like it should. Great update.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
This version is the most stable Pro Tools I’ve used in years (especially since Pro Tools 12). Spent several hours over a couple days with no crashes, CPU errors, assertion errors, or anything. Finally feels like it should. Great update.
Which OS are you running it on?
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Which OS are you running it on?
Windows 10
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Windows 10
That's a half bummer. I was hoping you were going to say Mac.
I've been running PT on Windows mainly on my 2012 3.33 6-core Mac Pro, since PT has become unusable for me on Mac.
Especially recording at 96k on 64 or even 128 sample buffers.
By comparison it's been quite solid for me on Win 8.1.
Thing is, I don't like win8.1 much.
If I have to run on windows I'd prefer going to 10, but the warning to avoid low buffers on win10 has put me off, apart from the fact that my mac apparently doesn't support it.

It's good to hear PT 2018.1 is running smoothly for you on win10

I still hope PT on Mac will become useable for me again on this machine.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
That's a half bummer. I was hoping you were going to say Mac.
I've been running PT on Windows mainly on my 2012 3.33 6-core Mac Pro, since PT has become unusable for me on Mac.
Especially recording at 96k on 64 or even 128 sample buffers.
By comparison it's been quite solid for me on Win 8.1.
Thing is, I don't like win8.1 much.
If I have to run on windows I'd prefer going to 10, but the warning to avoid low buffers on win10 has put me off, apart from the fact that my mac apparently doesn't support it.

It's good to hear PT 2018.1 is running smoothly for you on win10

I still hope PT on Mac will become useable for me again on this machine.
Installed 2018.1 on my 2012 hex 5.1 3.33 Mac running Sierra with HD Native card yesterday. So far not a single problem; best version in a while. Nothing unusable about it so far. Add a partition and give it a try......
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Installed 2018.1 on my 2012 hex 5.1 3.33 Mac running Sierra with HD Native card yesterday. So far not a single problem; best version in a while. Nothing unusable about it so far. Add a partition and give it a try......
Oh I still have a Mac partition that I've been updating every time time there's been an update for about a year now without any luck, I'll surely test it.
It'd have to a be a pretty night and day difference from even 12.8.3 though, which only marginally improved things for me.
If it doesn't help I may do a clean install (again).
I've already installed 2018.1 on it, but haven't had the time to do a test recording yet. I'll report back if it fares better than 12.8.3 for me.
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Nut

Pro Tools is funny. Stuck in the past with an outdated GUI and functionality from a long gone era and the "industry standard" label. Trying to catch up with the present while others design the future of DAWs and music production in general. I'm sure it's a great update for existing consumer base, can't really see why would anyone jump onboard when there are so many better options.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
Pro Tools is funny. Stuck in the past with an outdated GUI and functionality from a long gone era and the "industry standard" label. Trying to catch up with the present while others design the future of DAWs and music production in general. I'm sure it's a great update for existing consumer base, can't really see why would anyone jump onboard when there are so many better options.
It is not so black and white, man. If it were I'd already have switched.

It tried both Cubase and Studio One recently and none of them could do the advanced workflows I do with Pro Tools and if they could, they couldn't do it nearly as elegantly as PT does it. For a lot of people a new DAW is great, but don't pretend they are supperior for everyone.
Yes PT is old, but that also means it's advanced.
New DAWs like S1 and Bitwig are very fresh and interesting and they can do things PT cannot, but PT also can do things those new DAWs can't.
Horses for courses mate, if you pretend like the world's painted in absolute blacks and whites, you're fooling only yourself.

I'm not sure whether I'd recommend it to newbies at this point, but I haven't come across another DAW that can host my broadcast-facility like routing and workflow elegantly, if at all. S1 pro and Cubase Pro couldn't.
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut
100% agree, plus everything sounds exactly the same after you've mixed your session down. This is where S1 and others lack since present day ... and that is a big point for me.
PT rulez. Thanks for the update!
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
where is the lie tho?
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

PTHD2018 install seems good on OSX 10.13.3

will advise...
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Not again !
Totally boring ...

Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Funny thing is that I find all the other DAW GUI's to look plasticy (if that's even a word lol) and almost childish. It's too modern looking and the colors just dont quit work for me and I'm actually not as old as some of the older mixers here. To me, it's still the best DAW for mixing which is all I do. I must admit that I am using the HD version though and not the standard version so I've got a couple extra features vanilla doesn't have that I can't live without. This new update is rock solid for me (I'm on Win7) and I welcome the new features and await any new ones to come in 2018!
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

N.B. I have not seen one new DAW with a truly revolutionary user interface.

I’m rather disappointed about that.

I’m not saying PT and the likes should morph into a new UI, but I’d wish there would be more pushing of the envelope by new developers.
A daw rethought for touch, VR, AR...
Getting rid of this “it needs to resemble a console and recorder” kind of thing.

But that’s off topic
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

works well here
MBP 10.12 sierra

and about the GUI.. still makes sense. if judging by all the 3rd party control surfaces that are out.. faders are logical to "ride"

and although I do it less, its really really good to jump into another studio and work with PT without thinking too much.

just to stir the names pot :}

If these other daws are so "forward" then why did "Fruity Loops" [really] repaint itself as "FL" more "street"?

"Logic" .. hmmm Logic. Ill just leave it there. was anything but for a long time, till apple cut half its brains out

Cakewalk..does anyone remember what that was? a 19century dance

Sonar.. kinda funny.. makes things . underwater?

Garageband must have been some corporate decision, back when there was more "bands" in the garage.. prob become GB soon

Ableton live..well simple enough even though you could think its for live mixing concerts

StudioOne thats pretty deductive.. "hmmm its a virtual studio" and its our first!

Cubase? what on earth did that mean

Pro Tools.. well that might describe what I think of the arrogance of the maker

Last edited by rectifried; 28th January 2018 at 07:18 PM..
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

As an ex die hard PT user with a huge investment in their hardware, I have found StudioOne much better for my workflow. In the rare occasion a client insists on PT cause they’re bringing a session, I feel like I went back in time and have to deal with outdated editing and general workflow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search