The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rupert Neve Designs RMP - D8 8 Channel Remote Mic Pre
Old 26th January 2018
  #1
Gear Addict
 
MGA's Avatar
 

Rupert Neve Designs RMP - D8 8 Channel Remote Mic Pre

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this!: RMP-D8 - Rupert Neve
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert Neve Designs RMP - D8 8 Channel Remote Mic Pre-rmp-d8-remote-mic-pre.jpg  
Old 26th January 2018
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this!: RMP-D8 - Rupert Neve
Yes. Apart from the Sound Techniques console the RMP-D8 is the new product that interests me most:
Old 26th January 2018
  #3
Noa
Gear Addict
 
Noa's Avatar
How much?
Old 26th January 2018
  #4
Here for the gear
 

No analog out?
Old 26th January 2018
  #5
this is marketed to live individuals using dante? I must not know, there is a big enough market for that?
Old 26th January 2018
  #6
Gear Addict
 
MGA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
this is marketed to live individuals using dante? I must not know, there is a big enough market for that?
Well, if you've ever used Yamaha RIO stage boxes, this will be a god send for the front end. That said you could use it with a Focusrite RED interfaces and you'd have a great front end for you DAW.
Old 26th January 2018
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
Well, if you've ever used Yamaha RIO stage boxes, this will be a god send for the front end. That said you could use it with a Focusrite RED interfaces and you'd have a great front end for you DAW.
I see. I'm not in the live audio world.. also don't have digital ins in my rig.
Old 26th January 2018
  #8
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
this is marketed to live individuals using dante? I must not know, there is a big enough market for that?
I think so. Even if not in volume, some of those touring/installation businesses are spendy when it comes to gear. It also goes into the broadcast territory which a lot of it runs on Dante too.
Old 26th January 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
laperlestudio's Avatar
It would be awesome if they created a plugin to control remotely the preamps, so you could recall the pre's from a session, imagine in scoring stages or in live recording, just import your session data and you preamps recalls.
Old 26th January 2018
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
I think so. Even if not in volume, some of those touring/installation businesses are spendy when it comes to gear. It also goes into the broadcast territory which a lot of it runs on Dante too.
That makes sense. I know the rig rundown for Madonna was like 2 master buss with primary source enhancers and something else insane.
obvs RND knows what they are doing and who will buy what.
Old 26th January 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
Well, if you've ever used Yamaha RIO stage boxes, this will be a god send for the front end. That said you could use it with a Focusrite RED interfaces and you'd have a great front end for you DAW.
Yep.. that's for sure, although even the old Yamaha Ad8hr remotable preamps are better than any stock Yamaha console pres (which are basically a fixed gain with attenuator in some/most cases).

Want better preamp get a decent digital console (like Digico or Allen&Heath)..in the end it will be much less expensive than buying any yamaha plus 3 boxes like this for a 24 channel console.. and you'll get also much more processing power and outputs for the price.

Yamaha were leaders and pioneers in the digital live world, imho they are not leaders anymore. they're selling on the good name built in the beginning.
The consoles are easy to navigate and nice to use though.

Anyway I didn't expect this from rnd.. definitely a nice welcomed product!




Cheu
Old 26th January 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
I have one of his units from the last time he tried something like this. The Amek RCMA.
Gets used on every drum or band session I do.
Old 26th January 2018
  #13
din
Gear Maniac
 
din's Avatar
 

Good lord that looks expensive.
Old 26th January 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by din View Post
Good lord that looks expensive.
Uncompromising quality usually is. More power to 'em!
Old 26th January 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
It would be awesome if they created a plugin to control remotely the preamps, so you could recall the pre's from a session, imagine in scoring stages or in live recording, just import your session data and you preamps recalls.
There are mic pres that can do this already. The DAD AX32, Grace Designs m802, and Millenia HV-3R for instance. There are other companies too. RND hasn’t specified the remote control side of this. Would be cool if it could do the same. Would be the first non-clean/transparent style amp I can think of with that feature.
Old 26th January 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
laperlestudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
There are mic pres that can do this already. The DAD AX32, Grace Designs m802, and Millenia HV-3R for instance. There are other companies too. RND hasn’t specified the remote control side of this. Would be cool if it could do the same. Would be the first non-clean/transparent style amp I can think of with that feature.
There's a bunch of pre's that does remote control with application, RS-425 or MIDI over MADI and all that stuff. There's some that you can control with the Pro tools controls protocol like Andiamo, but there's no preamp that I know of that use a true plugins that you would insert in the chain, like a trim plugin. This would allow us to use automation or to import Preamp settings from another session.
Old 26th January 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Yep.. that's for sure, although even the old Yamaha Ad8hr remotable preamps are better than any stock Yamaha console pres (which are basically a fixed gain with attenuator in some/most cases).
I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculously false. The CL series pres are better in every way than the pres that were available in the AD8hr.

And as for Yamaha pres being a fixed gain with attenuator, again just blatantly false. The only situation where this is the case is when utilizing a second console and implementing a "virtual gain" allowing the master console to have control of the actual headamp gain; which is in itself highly useful, innovative, and far from being outdone by the competition.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Want better preamp get a decent digital console (like Digico or Allen&Heath)..in the end it will be much less expensive than buying any yamaha plus 3 boxes like this for a 24 channel console.. and you'll get also much more processing power and outputs for the price.

Yamaha were leaders and pioneers in the digital live world, imho they are not leaders anymore. they're selling on the good name built in the beginning.
The consoles are easy to navigate and nice to use though.

Cheu
As someone who is non-dominational when it comes to consoles I implement All of those. The Allen&Heath has an advantage when it comes to user-friendliness for volunteer scenarios, the Yamaha has multiple advantages when requiring ridiculous I/O (Rivage) or for ease of distribution (due to native Dante as protocol for communication). In none of these are you lacking for processing or outputs and they all have price points that are competitive for certain applications.

It may be your opinion that Yamaha are not leaders in this world but trust me - they are doing just fine. It may be different in the "club scene" but in the professional install world it pretty much goes like this:

Need ridiculous I/O for multiple positions plus broadcast and recording? Rivage
Need a professional solution for install with an educated staff: CL series
Need a professional solution for install and a volunteer staff: A&H
With the Digico sprinkled in for situations such as needing the full power of a large format console in a smaller package (since all of their SD series share the same processing internally) or large format for specialized theatrical installation/touring.

I do agree that this RPD pre looks awesome.

Regards,
Brock
Old 26th January 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
There's a bunch of pre's that does remote control with application, RS-425 or MIDI over MADI and all that stuff. There's some that you can control with the Pro tools controls protocol like Andiamo, but there's no preamp that I know of that use a true plugins that you would insert in the chain, like a trim plugin. This would allow us to use automation or to import Preamp settings from another session.
The three I mentioned use the Avid Mic Pre protocol (midi control) and you can import via session data and automate, etc. I don’t know if that protocol is open; the DAD uses emulated midi ports over the same Dante Ethernet to send the Avid commands. The RND could do the same.
Old 26th January 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
The three I mentioned use the Avid Mic Pre protocol (midi control) and you can import via session data and automate, etc. I don’t know if that protocol is open; the DAD uses emulated midi ports over the same Dante Ethernet to send the Avid commands. The RND could do the same.
I suspect they have implemented support for Yamaha remote control over Dante due to their ongoing relationship with RND emulation.

There are other ways, including via remote software and control over Dante, that are probably implemented but not universally accessible for third party manufacturers.

I'll definitely be inquiring as to the ins and outs of this unit - interesting times!

Cheers,
Brock
Old 27th January 2018
  #20
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

We’ve been making Dante remote controlled preamps for the last 2 years. Welcome to the party RND :-)
Old 27th January 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculously false. The CL series pres are better in every way than the pres that were available in the AD8hr.

And as for Yamaha pres being a fixed gain with attenuator, again just blatantly false. The only situation where this is the case is when utilizing a second console and implementing a "virtual gain" allowing the master console to have control of the actual headamp gain; which is in itself highly useful, innovative, and far from being outdone by the competition.





As someone who is non-dominational when it comes to consoles I implement All of those. The Allen&Heath has an advantage when it comes to user-friendliness for volunteer scenarios, the Yamaha has multiple advantages when requiring ridiculous I/O (Rivage) or for ease of distribution (due to native Dante as protocol for communication). In none of these are you lacking for processing or outputs and they all have price points that are competitive for certain applications.

It may be your opinion that Yamaha are not leaders in this world but trust me - they are doing just fine. It may be different in the "club scene" but in the professional install world it pretty much goes like this:

Need ridiculous I/O for multiple positions plus broadcast and recording? Rivage
Need a professional solution for install with an educated staff: CL series
Need a professional solution for install and a volunteer staff: A&H
With the Digico sprinkled in for situations such as needing the full power of a large format console in a smaller package (since all of their SD series share the same processing internally) or large format for specialized theatrical installation/touring.

I do agree that this RPD pre looks awesome.

Regards,
Brock
Point 1: I was speaking about the preamps quality, not the diffusion the brand has. They are not innovative anymore. I'm happy for you if you sell them a lot, but that's not my point at all.

Point 2: have you ever used a pm5d, which still sounds better IMHO than a CL series? Those are fixed gain preamps attenuated, and are not that bad. They did much worse with m7cl and ls9. (Although the m7cl is a very comfy and fast monitor desk).
Yamaha was never known for the high quality preamps.

Point 3: massive I/O.. Seen a lot of digico around olympic games honestly.



Cheu
Old 27th January 2018
  #22
For me, the Rupert Neve Designs RMP-D8 and the Neumann U67 Collectors Edition are the tip of the iceberg on Namm 2018.

Delivery date of the RMP-D8 is Q2, but please, at what price ?

Thank you in advance !

R.
Old 27th January 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Nowak's Avatar
Give it some MIDI and analogue outs. Then it can be controlled with Pro Tools using their PRE protocol. Like the Millennia and Grace.
Old 27th January 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
For me, the Rupert Neve Designs RMP-D8 and the Neumann U67 Collectors Edition are the tip of the iceberg on Namm 2018.

Delivery date of the RMP-D8 is Q2, but please, at what price ?

Thank you in advance !

R.
I believe it was really a great namm indeed... did you see the daking and the Avedis Transdrive + the KP6 ?

Also API and a lot of other cool stuff indeed...



Cheu
Old 27th January 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Point 1: I was speaking about the preamps quality, not the diffusion the brand has. They are not innovative anymore. I'm happy for you if you sell them a lot, but that's not my point at all.
I got your point, I was just disagreeing with your assessment of the situation. Or part of it anyway. Totally agree that Yamaha has never been known for their preamp design. I respectfully disagree that they are no longer innovative as I consider their current crop to be their best products in the mixing market that they have ever produced. With lots of innovative features that will take some time for others to introduce. That to me is the definition of innovation. I can list a few- might be better to take this conversation offline so that we don't continue to hijack the thread of really cool product release. PM me if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Point 2: have you ever used a pm5d, which still sounds better IMHO than a CL series? Those are fixed gain preamps attenuated, and are not that bad. They did much worse with m7cl and ls9. (Although the m7cl is a very comfy and fast monitor desk).
Yamaha was never known for the high quality preamps.
Have I ever used a pm5d? Yup, and the RH as well. But have you? I ask because both desks incorporate analog gain control for variable gain over the preamps followed by digital attenuation (with the RH allowing recall of the analog gain setting as well as incorporating the upgraded pres which are essentially the AD8hr).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Point 3: massive I/O.. Seen a lot of digico around olympic games honestly.
Digico indeed shows up in a lot of large channel count shows, but not without utilizing a third party topology for sharing inputs when utilizing more than two consoles. The implementation of the Rivage PM10 in those situations greatly reduces the complexity of the system. Of course they are relatively new on the market and there are certainly the built-in preferences of the operators and the application to consider. If you were to get 30 guys in a room and ask them their preference you might get five different answers.

Regardless that has nothing to do with this absurd notion that Yamaha is behind the times or that they are "utilizing fixed gain for some/most of their consoles" (which is just an absurd statement).

Regards,
Brock

Last edited by Bstapper; 27th January 2018 at 03:36 AM..
Old 27th January 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
I'm baffled that they would create this product without SILK. I'm not sure what the point is. Other companies are already making very high-quality Dante network preamps.
Old 27th January 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
I'm baffled that they would create this product without SILK. I'm not sure what the point is. Other companies are already making very high-quality Dante network preamps.
If the logic is "other people are making products that are selling why would RND?" then it seems a bit obvious, no?
Old 27th January 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
If the logic is "other people are making products that are selling why would RND?" then it seems a bit obvious, no?
Ha, you're right, of course. But RND hasn't made anything for the installation market as far as I know, and it's pretty different from the music production market where obviously they can dominate.

I don't know that big venues are going to get all wet for the Neve "magic," and frankly, without SILK, they've kind of left that magic out. There are lots of companies who are renowned for great-sounding clean preamps.

Partly it will depend on price point, of course. Focusrite and Grace are both selling this device for around $3000.

JSL
Old 27th January 2018
  #29
Gear Addict
 
MGA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Ha, you're right, of course. But RND hasn't made anything for the installation market as far as I know, and it's pretty different from the music production market where obviously they can dominate.

JSL
Actually they have released a product for the live and installation market years ago, the 5045: 5045: Primary Source Enhancer. I'm thinking that RMP-8D will sound more like the Portico and less like the Shelford and seeing as they are in bed with Yamaha, the PM10 Rivage already has the silk function, hence the probable reason they chose not to put it on this product. I'm speculating that they are aiming at Millennia HV-3R market and it will most likely be priced around that.
Old 27th January 2018
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Info from Rupert Neve to Facebook questions:
About the lack of Silk
Quote:
The transformer basically has silk always on the way it is designed. The sound doesn't line up perfectly with any other module because of the different transformer and the way it is incorporated into the circuit feeding the ADC, but it is certainly reminiscent of vintage pre's.
About how it will be remote controlled (in direct reference to a question about ProTools mic pre control):
Quote:
it requires the use of our standalone app for remote control with a DAW.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump