The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 529 bus comp 500 Series Dynamics
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Addict

API 529 bus comp

Old 26th January 2018
Gear Addict

Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Woah.... this was unexpected....... Go API!!!
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Heck yeah!
Old 26th January 2018
Wow pretty pricey, for that price I'd much rather get a 2500.... but still a cool release
Old 26th January 2018
The 2500 however is $1,100 more. So if you already have a lunchbox and room, it makes sense to go with this one.
Old 26th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
The 2500 however is $1,100 more. So if you already have a lunchbox and room, it makes sense to go with this one.
Looking at the photo, the 529 appears to be lacking the Link section, and also doesn't have the variable release settings. So, if those features are important to you, the 2500 would likely be worth the extra coin.

Still a fantastic new option...
Old 26th January 2018
Looks like a winner
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I was considering unloading all 500 series gear and getting a 2500...this has me thinking otherwise.
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

No external sidechain. But, you can't stuff everything into a 2 space.
Old 26th January 2018
THinking about doing this with a help of a friend (professionally of course)

Most prob will just drop it in the empty slots on 3-4pre channels but I’m craving to open the box up and patch this baby into the 527 program buss comp!!!
Attached Thumbnails
API 529 bus comp-60e7f93b-34b5-49c6-baee-9a2fc105630d.jpg  
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
THinking about doing this with a help of a friend (professionally of course)

Most prob will just drop it in the empty slots on 3-4pre channels but I’m craving to open the box up and patch this baby into the 527 program buss comp!!!
What benefit is there with the stereo version over two 527's? At least with the 527, you have two compressors each with their own controls, so you can bus them to different tracks.
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
What benefit is there with the stereo version over two 527's? At least with the 527, you have two compressors each with their own controls, so you can bus them to different tracks.
I can't answer for him but I think the 527 doesn't have Medium Knee and Thrust is only off/on (probably also lacking the medium setting?). Also the 527 doesn't have auto make-up gain.
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
I can't answer for him but I think the 527 doesn't have Medium Knee and Thrust is only off/on (probably also lacking the medium setting?). Also the 527 doesn't have auto make-up gain.
The extra options on the 529 make it much better option over two 527's.
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Head
Also faster release times I think
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

crazy this cost only about $500 less than the 2500 did in 2011. Maybe resale value will eventually be above this price

Old 28th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanzor View Post
crazy this cost only about $500 less than the 2500 did in 2011. Maybe resale value will eventually be above this price

I hadn't price checked a 2500 since around 2011 and when I compared last night, I was like, huh, I didn't think it was that pricey
Old 28th January 2018
so most likely i will be getting the 529 and putting it into the 3/4 preamp slots of the box. just makes the most sense.
It would be kool though if api would start giving different configurations options for the box. the kool thing is May29 is my birthday so 529 is a good number.
API LOVE
Old 28th January 2018
If I had a 1608, I would want the 529 added as a 2 bus compressor.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

They really missed the boat on this by not adding a mix control...What is it with manufactures like SSL and API? It took SSL 35 years to add a damn HPF to their bus comp for Christ's sake and still they charge double what the clones cost without a mix control.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
They really missed the boat on this by not adding a mix control...What is it with manufactures like SSL and API? It took SSL 35 years to add a damn HPF to their bus comp for Christ's sake and still they charge double what the clones cost without a mix control.
i hear you, but on the other hand people have been using the SSL bus comp for 35 years with satisfying results, don't you think so?
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
I hadn't price checked a 2500 since around 2011 and when I compared last night, I was like, huh, I didn't think it was that pricey
They keep raising the price every 6 months to a year. Hundreds each time. I had a 2500 and it was worth it around 2400, definitely not at the current price. The lack of a mix control is a real downer too. This thing on parallel compression is a beast.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
i hear you, but on the other hand people have been using the SSL bus comp for 35 years with satisfying results, don't you think so?
yea but with the API excelling on drum bus I think the mix control is much more important on this one. SSL typically on 2-bus where mix control is less necessary.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
It took SSL 35 years to add a damn HPF to their bus comp for Christ's sake and still they charge double what the clones cost without a mix control.
This strikes me funny...complaining about something costing twice what a copy of it costs.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
This strikes me funny...complaining about something costing twice what a copy of it costs.
The copies have been improved with added features and still cost less. Some even chock full of transformers, op-amps, hand made with superior components and still less. Even this API brings WAY more to the table than the SSL and still costs less.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

I was hoping for the mix knob... I just double a stem and crush one... It would be nice to save a step, but the Wes dione is also looking good for that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search