The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wavesfactory releases Spectre Multi-band Enhancer Plug-in
Old 3rd August 2019
  #181
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Ozone 8 Exciter which seems to do the same thing if I'm not mistaken? Might already have my bases covered on this one.
Actually, (as far as I know) they are NOT the same. Ozone is a standard exciter that saturates/distorts the entire signal. On the other hand, as the developer stated in this thread, “Spectre saturates the difference between the EQ signal and the original signal.” The difference between Spectre and other more traditional exciters/saturators is night and day. Spectre is able to add a sheen the others cannot.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #182
Lives for gear
 
screentan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
Actually, (as far as I know) they are NOT the same. Ozone is a standard exciter that saturates/distorts the entire signal. On the other hand, as the developer stated in this thread, “Spectre saturates the difference between the EQ signal and the original signal.” The difference between Spectre and other more traditional exciters/saturators is night and day. Spectre is able to add a sheen the others cannot.
I see but wouldn't using the mix slider on each Ozone Exciter band achieve the same if not similar thing to Spectre? Trying to convince myself not to spend more money.

The presets don't appear to work in Ableton. I can open the presets folder and see the various presets but cannot load them. Any other Ableton user able to confirm please?

How does changing the subtle, medium & aggressive mode differ to just dialling up the mix amount more?

Last edited by screentan; 4th August 2019 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Update re presets & GUI
Old 4th August 2019
  #183
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
How does changing the subtle, medium & aggressive mode differ to just dialling up the mix amount more?
I find that being able to choose different saturation types per band, selecting m/s/l/r/stereo is awesome. This is the only multiband saturator I use on the mix buss because it adds only what I need or want. A lot of great choices out there. But Spectre is so versatile and sounds fantastic. Note that you can drive the input and back off the output and make it 'sing' with harmonics. Love this plug.
Old 4th August 2019
  #184
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I see but wouldn't using the mix slider on each Ozone Exciter band achieve the same if not similar thing to Spectre? Trying to convince myself not to spend more money.
Spectre definitely sounds different from other exciters. I believe this is due to the fact that it’s process is different (processing the EQ difference). If you listen to the results of the Ozone exciter and find it close enough, more power to you.
As for me, I knew I had to buy Spectre within the first 10 minutes of demoing it because it does what other plugins cannot.
Old 4th August 2019
  #185
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Has anyone demoed Spectre against Process Audio Sugar?
Old 5th August 2019
  #186
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Has anyone demoed Spectre against Process Audio Sugar?
Bought. Thoroughly impressed. The per band options makes this so incredibly flexible.
Old 5th August 2019
  #187
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Bought. Thoroughly impressed. The per band options makes this so incredibly flexible.
I didn't demo against Sugar because I'm sure Sugar sounds great! The reason I didn't and I could be wrong is you can pinpoint the Q in Spectre where as with sugar it's more a broad 'push'. Suagr has a sweet GUI...but Spectre looks great, sounds great and has mind boggling functionality.

Key feature to get the most out of Spectre in my experience is the input output stage and of course the mix knob. You can set the mix to 100% to hear just the distortion/drive being added.

Really great plug.
Old 5th August 2019
  #188
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
I didn't demo against Sugar because I'm sure Sugar sounds great! The reason I didn't and I could be wrong is you can pinpoint the Q in Spectre where as with sugar it's more a broad 'push'. Suagr has a sweet GUI...but Spectre looks great, sounds great and has mind boggling functionality.

Key feature to get the most out of Spectre in my experience is the input output stage and of course the mix knob. You can set the mix to 100% to hear just the distortion/drive being added.

Really great plug.
Pinpoint is the perfect word for Spectre; with Sugar when I demoed (months back), it was more of a hit or miss affair with it's "broad and general" approach to just making things sound nice without harming anything. With Spectre I can really dig in.

The one thing I'm still wrapping my head around is de-emphasis. Finding the right balance between input/output, mode (subtle to aggressive) and de-emphasis is kind of a hard but fun balance to strike. If I enable de-emphasis, then I find myself wanting a little more driven/less subtle distortion and vice versa.

I'm re-mastering a friend's track from 1989 and Spectre, with even subtle settings, completely brought the track to life. He said the bass sounded like it was re-tracked. The bottom end punch on the low end in ear buds was amazing. The original track sounds lifeless and anemic now in comparison and the amazing thing is, the Spectre version isn't cooked or fried or slammed -- it all sounds natural and effortless. Really amazing plugin.
Old 11th August 2019
  #189
Gear Maniac
 

Absolutely love using peaks between 30-42hz and 10kz-12kz with de-emphasis enabled during chorus or parts that need to be 'clean' with low 'air' and high 'gloss'. It's just a thing of beauty.
Old 19th August 2019
  #190
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
The trick now (for me) is slotting this alongside Gullfoss and Bassroom (which I will be demoing soon) in addition to the usual eq/compression.

My instinct is telling me Spectre first, then Bassroom, finishing with Gullfoss.

Also: what are everyone's favorite modes for highs? I haven't used Spectre much but have usually used Solid or Tape for my high end, but may try diode as well.
Old 21st August 2019
  #191
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
The trick now (for me) is slotting this alongside Gullfoss and Bassroom (which I will be demoing soon) in addition to the usual eq/compression.

My instinct is telling me Spectre first, then Bassroom, finishing with Gullfoss.

Also: what are everyone's favorite modes for highs? I haven't used Spectre much but have usually used Solid or Tape for my high end, but may try diode as well.
Highs on Output Bus I use Solid. Tape is nice on Drum Bus. Diode on GTRs (modestly).

Bassroom should be last in the chain you mentioned above because it calculates the amount of bass relative to the high freq content. At least that's my understanding of how it works.

Edit: Use a full spectrum phase correlation meter (like the one in Metric AB) when using any 'side' only application with spectre on the high freqs. It is very powerful and if used heavily can knock your top end out of phase.
Old 4 days ago
  #192
Lives for gear
 
screentan's Avatar
 

Are there any online stores that sell Spectre? I prefer to pay in USD and not be charged GST.
Update: Found it on special for USD 54 at Plugin Boutique.

Last edited by screentan; 3 days ago at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 3 days ago
  #193
Gear Maniac
 

Spectre is still undefeated on my 2-buss for pinpoint/versatile saturation for 2 years running. It really is the only tool I've used to enhance the low/low-mids with complete control. Credit to the 'eq' type functionality there. If I wanna add some 'glow' to 110 and growl to 320ish I can!
Old 3 days ago
  #194
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Spectre is still undefeated on my 2-buss for pinpoint/versatile saturation for 2 years running. It really is the only tool I've used to enhance the low/low-mids with complete control. Credit to the 'eq' type functionality there. If I wanna add some 'glow' to 110 and growl to 320ish I can!
I’ve bought a handful of indispensable plugins this year like Gullfoss and Kush TWK but by far Spectre has been the most used.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump