The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wavesfactory releases Spectre Multi-band Enhancer Plug-in
Old 20th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I already have Ozone 8 and just wondering if Spectre has anything more to offer over Ozone 8 Exciter which also does multiband saturation with a choice of saturation types on each band?
To me, Spectre has a much less dramatic user interface and a dramatically better sound. Spectre keeps you focussed, it's easy to navigate, it's responsive and gets you results.
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Addict

I want to learn how to use this thing, as everyone who does raves about it. For some reason it didn't grab me, and I'm guessing that's down to user incompetence and not RTFM

Any samaritans out there got any tips or presets, for say Bass, Kick, Snare, Vocals?
Old 21st November 2018
Here for the gear

There's presets included for those and they sound pretty good too and are easy to modify.
I just bought it at the sale price of 50$ and pretty happy with it. I don't know why but I just get pleasing results with it more easily than with something like Decapitator.
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprey View Post
There's presets included for those and they sound pretty good too and are easy to modify.
I just bought it at the sale price of 50$ and pretty happy with it. I don't know why but I just get pleasing results with it more easily than with something like Decapitator.
The sale is tempting so I'm definitely going to give it another shot.
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Nut
You have a lot of typos in manual.
For example, Quality - oversampling ratio between Normal (no OS), Medium (8x), Best (16x). But on the page 3 there is said: optional 4x and 16x oversampling modes.
On several pages we can see "eight saturation algorithms", but after 1.0.3 update we have 2 more algorithms, not 8.
Algo description: TUBE - valve-type, not vale-type.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Addict

I tried it out again, ran some presets and got a better idea of it this time round.

Wavesfactory make some good stuff, trackspacer is used here all the time.

I can hear it's good and versatile but I can probably get similar sounds by other of my 50 or so saturation plugins in parallel with some eq. Will it be as easy to setup and sound exactly the same, no but Christmas is coming up and I have to stop buying myself presents and it still hasn't quite wowed me round.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
I tried it out again, ran some presets and got a better idea of it this time round.

Wavesfactory make some good stuff, trackspacer is used here all the time.

I can hear it's good and versatile but I can probably get similar sounds by other of my 50 or so saturation plugins in parallel with some eq. Will it be as easy to setup and sound exactly the same, no but Christmas is coming up and I have to stop buying myself presents and it still hasn't quite wowed me round.
To be clear, you would have to saturate the difference of the EQ (EQ minus original signal). That's what it does (according to the developer).
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
To be clear, you would have to saturate the difference of the EQ (EQ minus original signal). That's what it does (according to the developer).
It's a clever concept for tone shaping audio for sure. I"m still messing with it. I just haven't felt the can't live without it/instant purchase feeling from it that I think I need to feel given the amount of plugins I own.
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Addict

@ Squeegee 303 , thanks because your post encouraged me to try this concept for myself and whilst it may be obvious to some it's quite a simple 3 channel setup and results are very similar to be fair.

Hopefully this won't get me flamed, no disrespects to the developer meant, but I thought maybe some people might like to experiment with this for themselves.

Set up a folder which nests two tracks of identical audio. Phase invert one of the tracks, you should hear nothing when played. On of your tracks add an eq. I used a simple graphic. Dial it in. On the folder track the two tracks are routed to add a saturation plugin of choice. I used AW Desk 4.

Outside of your folder track have another track of identical audio and have that phase inverted also. You now have a blend of the saturated eq difference and the original audio.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
@ Squeegee 303 , thanks because your post encouraged me to try this concept for myself and whilst it may be obvious to some it's quite a simple 3 channel setup and results are very similar to be fair.

Hopefully this won't get me flamed, no disrespects to the developer meant, but I thought maybe some people might like to experiment with this for themselves.

Set up a folder which nests two tracks of identical audio. Phase invert one of the tracks, you should hear nothing when played. On of your tracks add an eq. I used a simple graphic. Dial it in. On the folder track the two tracks are routed to add a saturation plugin of choice. I used AW Desk 4.

Outside of your folder track have another track of identical audio and have that phase inverted also. You now have a blend of the saturated eq difference and the original audio.
I had thought (same as you did) about using phase inversion with an EQ and various other saturation plugins. Haven’t experimented with it though.
Enjoying Spectre so far though. I especially like using it on material that is lacking high end.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Addict

Hi guys,

I started to work on a new version of Spectre that will bring a lot of new (and requested) features:
- Per-band saturation.
- Per-band processing (stereo / left / right / mid / side).
- De-emphasis filters so you don't add any EQ to the signal, only harmonics / saturation to the desired spots in the spectrum. I believe that's pretty unique.
- Input - Output linking so when input goes up output goes down and viceversa. That way the input works like a gain knob without affecting the overall volume.

Is there anything you would like to see in Spectre? New features are welcome!
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesfactory View Post
Hi guys,

I started to work on a new version of Spectre that will bring a lot of new (and requested) features:
- Per-band saturation.
- De-emphasis filters so you don't add any EQ to the signal, only harmonics / saturation to the desired spots in the spectrum. I believe that's pretty unique.
- Input - Output linking so when input goes up output goes down and viceversa. That way the input works like a gain knob without affecting the overall volume.

Just these items alone will make me very, very happy!
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

This is great! Thanks.
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Rock on, Jesús
Old 8th March 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

Sounds great. Just make sure the gain compensation is optional. Usually when I want to add something, I don't want everything else to be reduced. That's why I never use that function on eqs, it just doesn't make sense to me.

And while we're at it, maybe lose or reduce in size the white top and bottom strips and maybe increase the actual useful part of the plugin, the spectrum. A nice smooth analyzer wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for doing this.
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys,

- Per-band saturation.

Fantastic news, I had assumed none of the requests were going to happen.

Per band saturation with M/S! Sexy.

With the sans-EQ saturation, will we have the ability to dial in the amount of saturation?
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
With the sans-EQ saturation, will we have the ability to dial in the amount of saturation?
Yes, using the linked input / output along with the subtle / medium / aggressive modes.
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, using the linked input / output along with the subtle / medium / aggressive modes.
Great. Can't wait for this update!
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Addict

Posted a few clips on Instagram Stories, check them out and follow us if you haven't
Wavesfactory (@wavesfactory) • Instagram photos and videos
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Maniac

Instagram? Is that's stuff still around?
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Posted a few clips on Instagram Stories, check them out and follow us if you haven't
Wavesfactory (@wavesfactory) • Instagram photos and videos
Man those updates are looking juicy. Per band saturation and LR/MS etc. Can't wait to try it!
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Addict

Spectre 1.5 is almost ready to be tested. If you already own Spectre and you'd like to participate in the beta please send me an e-mail.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

Hi guys,

I'm very happy to say that Spectre 1.5 is available for download here:
https://www.wavesfactory.com/spectre

Changelog:
  • New: saturation per band.
  • New: processing mode per band.
  • New: input / output linking.
  • New: fine tuning on labels.
  • New: mouse wheel control over labels.
  • New: de-emphasis filters.
  • New: VST3 format.
  • Improved: made menu more visible.
  • Improved: code optimisation.
  • Fixed: user manual typos.
  • Deleted: passepartout (white background surrounding the plug-in).

This is a free update, as always!

Check out the introduction video to Spectre by Dan Worrall to see its full potential.

We're having a special sale too! Get Spectre now for only €59.00 (regular €99.00) until June 23rd.

Quick note: as this update introduces new parameters and gets rid of old ones your custom presets may not fully recall. We can update them for you. Simply send them to me and I'll take care of the rest.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Oh hell yes! Downloading and testing...
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Check out the introduction video...
I haven't tried this yet, but man what Dan did on the group of harps sounded absolutely amazing. From the manual this plug-in looks rich on features and well thought out, will definitely check it! The discount is attractive
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Congrats, Jesùs
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

I just logged in to say I already enjoyed testing Spectre before, and now finally bought it and already used it like crazy - thanks for the per-band and VST3 upgrade!
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys,

- Per-band saturation.

Is there some way (may be in there already?) to use a modifier key to switch/select all of the saturation bands to the same algorithm? It's super cool to be able to switch them individually but sometimes for sonic reasons/auditioning (or just laziness) it would be handy to say hold down the option key while selecting one and have all the bands change.

Just a thought
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Ozone 8 Exciter which seems to do the same thing if I'm not mistaken? Might already have my bases covered on this one.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Ozone 8 Exciter which seems to do the same thing if I'm not mistaken? Might already have my bases covered on this one.
Actually, (as far as I know) they are NOT the same. Ozone is a standard exciter that saturates/distorts the entire signal. On the other hand, as the developer stated in this thread, “Spectre saturates the difference between the EQ signal and the original signal.” The difference between Spectre and other more traditional exciters/saturators is night and day. Spectre is able to add a sheen the others cannot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search