The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wavesfactory releases Spectre Multi-band Enhancer Plug-in
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Both your examples/tests are interesting, thanks.
I note you have Aggressive mode selected in both tests.
Is that coincidence?
Do you get the same results in Subtle and Moderate modes?
i used aggressive mode to test aliasing in "worst case scenario" and then just left it on that mode for some other tests.
all modes are similar, a little difference in harmonics and noise floor, but erratic behavior and related artifacts are basically the same...
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Does this happen on "normal" mode, too, or just with oversampling on?

I think the plugin sounds great and IMHO is not overpriced, but I also think in terms of update roadmap these bugs should be tackled first, then added functionality like per band mode of saturation etc.
Old 24th February 2018
Gee
Lives for gear

This one got knocked around a bit. Did some testing here and it sounded good. Was on my buy list. Would be nice to hear from the dev.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
Does this happen on "normal" mode, too, or just with oversampling on?

I think the plugin sounds great and IMHO is not overpriced, but I also think in terms of update roadmap these bugs should be tackled first, then added functionality like per band mode of saturation etc.
Only when oversampling, no issues in Normal mode.

Agreed on both counts.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Melda's MSaturatorMB (Multi-band) is somewhat similar but of course, not exactly. But it does have user selectable bands and many choices of saturation types within each band along with other detailed parameters.
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Addict

Hey guys, thank you so much for the nice comments on Spectre and for keeping this post alive.
I've been silent because I didn't want to say anything until I knew where those bugs come from. I think I finally know where the unresponsive dot bug comes from. It's from the authorization window. The plug-in behaves like if the auth window was shown so the middle dot is not clickable and it works when you click on the 'output' knob because that's where the "continue demo evaluation" label is positioned. It took me some time to figure this out, but now that I know where it comes from I'll be able to fix it. Thank you all!

I spoke to the oversampling algorithm designer about that DC offset present on the "best" setting, it seems that's a bug on the filter design and he'll be fixing this ASAP.

Again, thank you all for this and I'm sorry for any inconvenience. Although Spectre went through a long beta testing phase it seems almost impossible to release something completely bug free. We will be working non stop for fixing all of these issues and then we'll start with the new additions to the plug-in.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesfactory View Post
Again, thank you all for this and I'm sorry for any inconvenience. Although Spectre went through a long beta testing phase it seems almost impossible to release something completely bug free. We will be working non stop for fixing all of these issues and then we'll start with the new additions to the plug-in.
Thanks for the update and good luck resolving the issues ASAP.

TBH I haven’t encountered anything which bothers or annoys me when using Spectre in mixes. I haven’t run it through test Apps and spectrum analysers.

I may have dodged some bullets because of the way I have been using it. I’m only using it on the stereo bus and I’m only using the low and hi shelves. Low up to around 600hz and high down to about 3 or 4 kHz, no more than about 1.5db gain with the Mix Control at about 40%.
REALLY happy with the subtle results.

Looking forward to being able to use the oversampling options though.

Last edited by Beatworld; 25th February 2018 at 01:36 AM..
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Great news - thanks for the update.
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Head

Wavesfactory I sent you an email yesterday, did you receive it? Can you refund me please...103178.
GAS problems, can't afford it this month
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Nut

Bought it last night on sale... very impressed! Love the concept and sound. Wanted to chime in on some of the mentioned additions:

1. Per band saturation would be excellent!

2. Per band stereo or M/S option would be absolutely KILLER! That would put it over the top for me.

A few of my own...

3. Not necessary, but I'd personally like a switchable on/off and possibly pre/post waveform display in the background like Fabfilter and others do.

4. I'd also appreciate an easier to access bypass option next to the mix function. Would make for a little less mouse travel to my DAW's implementation.

5. Fully adjustable GUI size or options to scale up 125%, 150%, etc. The overall size isn't that bad, but I prefer a little larger if possible. Completely sizable via dragging the GUI would be awesome if that's possible to do cleanly! Thank you for the option to minimize the background size already!

Fantastic job on the initial release though! Even if it got nothing but bug fixes and stayed functionally as it is I'd still be very happy, so thank you. Appreciative and looking forward to what additions may come!
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Not sure to helps but you can bypass each band at the top of the GUI..
+1 especially on .1 and .2
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Addict

Hey guys!

Version 1.0.1 is ready to download.
- Bug fix: the center of the UI was frozen after a while (only in demo mode).
- Noise bursts turned down to -18dB.
- Added more space between noise bursts for a better demo evaluation.

This new version can be downloaded directly from the website.
Spectre - Spectral Enhancer Plug-in AAX/AU/VST - Wavesfactory

Thank you for the nice comments on Spectre!
Old 1st March 2018
Quote:
Thanks! I have a minor issue with this release and the first release: Windows 10 throws a warning during installation, see below. My Windows settings are pretty default with regards to security etc.:

Old 1st March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Thanks! I have a minor issue with this release and the first release: Windows 10 throws a warning during installation, see below. My Windows settings are pretty default with regards to security etc.:
This is why we should sign Windows installers, at the moment we sign only Mac ones. I'll take a look at it. Thanks!
Old 1st March 2018
@ wavesfactory , despite being a bit small to my eyes, Spectre has a beautiful layout and it's a pleasure to operate. Very smooth and responsive. Very nice job!
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
@ wavesfactory , despite being a bit small to my eyes, Spectre has a beautiful layout and it's a pleasure to operate. Very smooth and responsive. Very nice job!
Resizable version on the works!
Old 1st March 2018
Gee
Lives for gear

so the update just makes the demo better?
Old 1st March 2018
Quote:
Resizable version on the works!
OMG! Important (to me) is that the font size is resized as well - not just the graphical elements.
Old 1st March 2018
Again, a minor one (Windows):

May I suggest that when you click on the SPECTRE logo and select "Open presets folder" - you should be directed to arrive inside the "Presets" folder. As of now, you arrive one level above the "Presets" folder.

Today, you arrive here: C:\Users\xx\AppData\Roaming\Wavesfactory\Spectre

as opposed to here: C:\Users\xx\AppData\Roaming\Wavesfactory\Spectre\Presets
Old 1st March 2018
@ wavesfactory , let me know if you prefer bug reporting outside of gearsluts.

Here is possibly another one (Pro Tools 2018 for Windows): When Committing a Track containing the Trial version of Spectre, Spectre adds approximately 40 seconds of silent audio. I wonder if this issue is in the paid version ...

Old 1st March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Hey guys!

- Bug fix: the center of the UI was frozen after a while (only in demo mode).
- Noise bursts turned down to -18dB.
- Added more space between noise bursts for a better demo evaluation.

This new version can be downloaded directly from the website.
Spectre - Spectral Enhancer Plug-in AAX/AU/VST - Wavesfactory

Thank you for the nice comments on Spectre!
Thanks! When will you release the track spacer update?
Old 1st March 2018
Watched andi vax’s stream, really nice sounding plugin
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Addict

I love Track Spacer and this plugin is well done. It's certainly sounds different in a good way to an eq like fabfilter in an A/B test.

I'm not quite sold on it. I think if it had the ability to be able to Null the eq/saturation boosts then this would have a lot more use for me. I often use that technique of boosting before and cutting after a saturation device and it can be really useful for tailoring the saturation curve to taste based on the source material.

I kind of hoped it was like that concept or even better an option.

I suppose this plugin is great if you need some boosts applied to the audio but it's missing a trick IMHO and could be a lot more useful for sound/saturation design.

Perhaps with further playing with it I will hear the value but so far it's not jumping out as a must have, even though it sounds nice.
Old 2nd March 2018
Here for the gear

Tried the demo and loved it....it's fairy dust!

A wee bit miffed that the price was ex VAT so cost a few £ more than expected. Totally worth it though.

Mixing my current project via Console 1 SL4000e / XL9000k channels so the transparency was already pretty tight IMO. Just applied the 'dance' preset on the master bus and it just lifted every element up a notch. Really looking forward to getting to grips with this and to the updates discussed above. Two absolutely go to plugins from Wavesfactory the awesome Track Spacer and now Spectre.
Old 3rd March 2018
Quote:
@ wavesfactory , let me know if you prefer bug reporting outside of gearsluts.

Here is possibly another one (Pro Tools 2018 for Windows): When Committing a Track containing the Trial version of Spectre, Spectre adds approximately 40 seconds of silent audio. I wonder if this issue is in the paid version ...

Now having paid for the plugin, I can report that the issue is not there in the paid version:

Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Head

Bought this and love it, but it's always going to be a PIA if I can't cut! How difficult can that be to implement?
I don't want to load another plug to make cuts when it could so easily be done in the same GUI - why this particular limitation Wavesfactory?
Old 3rd March 2018
I want to change the default "Quality" setting to "Good" but can't seem to find a way. Is this possible?

Setting Quality to Good and then selecting Presets > Save doesn't work. Nothing happens when doing this.

I fiddled with the spectre_preferences.xml file but guessing the correct syntax I could not. I tried stuff like:

<SPECTRE_PREFERENCES QUALITY_GOOD="true"/>
Old 5th March 2018
When using Spectre on a mix bus, I tend to only need very very small adjustments, even in Subtle mode, so I could really use a fine control on the knobs (Command+ / Control+ ) and a less coarse Y-axis resolution to better visualize what's going on.

Example of a typical setting for me:

Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
When using Spectre on a mix bus, I tend to only need very very small adjustments, even in Subtle mode, so I could really use a fine control on the knobs (Command+ / Control+ ) and a less coarse Y-axis resolution to better visualize what's going on.
Bolder EQ moves using the parallel mix can work well also!
Old 5th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Bolder EQ moves using the parallel mix can work well also!
I forgot about that! A workaround!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search