The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wavesfactory releases Spectre Multi-band Enhancer Plug-in
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mastering would also benefit from a saturation-only mode, adding harmonics to a flat or previously attenuated area without the EQ boost.
Actually if it could also cut while adding harmonics (not inverted polarity, though) it'd tackle some jobs that no other single plug-in can do.
I'd 100% get it if broadband was implemented, even more so (200%?) if there was a pre & post eq.......
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
He got me with both of those 2. MF'er must be working on commission!!
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

b0se has an unfair advantage: He's listening to these plugins on his Kii3 speakers!!!
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
b0se has an unfair advantage: He's listening to these plugins on his Kii3 speakers!!!
Best money I've ever spent. You can clearly hear the difference between average, good and great plugins. Especially comps. The tech will trickle down over the next few years, there'll be more affordable similar equipped speakers. Whoever releases them at the $3-4K range first is going to make a fortune :¬)

(I'm guessing Kii are working on the Kii One, and D&D have just released a scaled down model of the 8c.)

@ wavesfactory - congrats again on a fantastic release. Any news on the oversampling low end fix and multi-band colour update?

Have you considered a linear phase option? That would be very useful when making high end boosts, especially when mastering a full track or using it on the mixbus.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Any news on the oversampling low end fix
What is the oversampling low end problem ?
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
What is the oversampling low end problem ?
Good and Best modes are oversampled, when oversampling a low shelf under 200Hz flips the plugin out (especially using Solid).

Have a look here: Spectre by Wavesfactory - looks interesting!
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good and Best modes are oversampled, when oversampling a low shelf under 200Hz flips the plugin out (especially using Solid).

Have a look here: Spectre by Wavesfactory - looks interesting!
Ok I see, thanks.
Is it a problem with all colours?
I haven’t used Solid so far.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok I see, thanks.
Is it a problem with all colours?
I haven’t used Solid so far.
Yes, although Solid is particularly prone and starts to become erratic at higher Hz (200). Tube etc seem to flip out at lower values. Stick with Normal (no OS) for now and it all works as it should.

PluginDoctor is well worth the small investment. You can learn the nuances (or issues!) of a plugin so much faster. Minutes instead of hours/days/weeks.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, although Solid is particularly prone and starts to become erratic at higher Hz (200). Tube etc seem to flip out at lower values. Stick with Normal (no OS) for now and it all works as it should.

PluginDoctor is well worth the small investment. You can learn the nuances (or issues!) of a plugin so much faster. Minutes instead of hours/days/weeks.
Thanks.
I've got PluginDoctor but was nowhere near my studio when I asked if it was just Solid

cheers
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

wondering if this is a bug or just expected behavior...
aliasing test...12 kHz sine wave @ 44.1 kHz sample rate
enabling "best" oversampling does help with aliasing but it makes other "artifacts" worse...
better res screen capture here > https://i.imgur.com/HgQiBAB.mp4

this thing has all kinds of unstable behaviors in all modes and oversampling only makes it worse. don't know if it's super accurate analog modeling or errors in the code...it's just that good...

anyways, be careful using this thing...

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 24th February 2018 at 10:21 AM..
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Nut

Is that DC in the lows? Needs filtering, not nice...
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

I get a lot of cursor jumps; mouse down on a value and it'll leap to the maximum. Anyone else? Not fun when it's the volume adjust (Ice9 has saved my ears and speakers many times from erratic plugin behaviour).

Amazing plugin but needs some cleaning up
Old 24th February 2018
Quote:
I get a lot of cursor jumps; mouse down on a value and it'll leap to the maximum. Anyone else?
Yes, I get that here as well.

I have also reported some other intermittent mouse related issues to Jésus, where I can't grab frequency dots - they simply don't become active when hovering over them.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axembler View Post
Is that DC in the lows? Needs filtering, not nice...
yeh...

check this one out...this shows how "unstable" oversampling can be...(sine wave input)

(click pic for full res)
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Maniac

it sounds like there is some sort of thermal noise emulation going on with some of the models and other quasi-analog idiosyncrasies. the quality seems to increase the "accuracy"of that noise.i guess that's what people mean by "flipping out"
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post

I have also reported some other intermittent mouse related issues to Jésus, where I can't grab frequency dots - they simply don't become active when hovering over them.
I've not experienced the point clicking problem thus far, I do pretty much all of the adjustments via the text click/drag (using a controller).
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
it sounds like there is some sort of thermal noise emulation going on with some of the models and other quasi-analog idiosyncrasies. the quality seems to increase the "accuracy"of that noise.i guess that's what people mean by "flipping out"
Surely the low end would act the same regardless of the frequency position (Hz) if that were the case? Look what happens to the low end (20Hz at start of gif), compared to higher values.

If you do the same EQ movement on an audio track the audio itself will distort, lose channels and pump. That can't be right.
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Surely the low end would act the same regardless of the frequency position (Hz) if that were the case? Look what happens to the low end (20Hz at start of gif), compared to higher values.

If you do the same EQ movement on an audio track the audio itself will distort, lose channels and pump. That can't be right.

I used SPAN to see this cause it looks like the FFT analyzer in Plugin Doctor is too block-y. what you are seeing is you boosting the DC component in the noise that accompanies the models,which seems to increase in "accuracy"with the quality setting.if you boost beyond say 5dB on the lowshelf even at the lowest frequency setting it wont boost the DC element of the noise,either way i don't see the point in the noise at all.the reason the frequency transform in Plugin Doctor warps like that is because it has a low FFT size and therefore can't display the random nature the noise has on the frequency transform.

That's what i am hearing and seeing anyway,the pumping/distortion etc is the DC being on par in terms of loudness with the signal going through the plugin(it's not fixed straight DC though hence why it probably comes across more like distortion.the noise causes the DC to fluctuate and bias over time mostly to the negative portion of the waveform)

Given the nature of the plugin,i don't see the point behind the noise,but i've noticed with most good analog models the noise always seems to be there regardless i.e The Drop(albeit a lot lower than this)so it must be a part of the algorithms
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

I also got this issue but just close and reopen the UI and registration window will pop, click on continue trial and dots work again.
Old 24th February 2018
Quote:
I've not experienced the point clicking problem thus far, I do pretty much all of the adjustments via the text click/drag (using a controller).
Yeah, have that too. have been in contact with Jésus about it who's looking into it. After quite a bit of monkey clicking I found out that if you click the middle volume button once ( don't move it) the frequency dots have their focus restored. are you on Logic as well?

helps with the testing ;-)
Old 24th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by axembler View Post
I also got this issue but just close and reopen the UI and registration window will pop, click on continue trial and dots work again.
Yep, using the same workaround, but quite annoying.

What is your type of:
  • OS
  • DAW
  • Graphics card

Mine is:
  • Windows 10
  • Pro Tools
  • NVIDIA
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Nut

Win 10
Studio One
AMD
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I used SPAN to see this cause it looks like the FFT analyzer in Plugin Doctor is too block-y. what you are seeing is you boosting the DC component in the noise that accompanies the models,which seems to increase in "accuracy"with the quality setting.if you boost beyond say 5dB on the lowshelf even at the lowest frequency setting it wont boost the DC element of the noise,either way i don't see the point in the noise at all.the reason the frequency transform in Plugin Doctor warps like that is because it has a low FFT size and therefore can't display the random nature the noise has on the frequency transform.

That's what i am hearing and seeing anyway,the pumping/distortion etc is the DC being on par in terms of loudness with the signal going through the plugin(it's not fixed straight DC though hence why it probably comes across more like distortion.the noise causes the DC to fluctuate and bias over time mostly to the negative portion of the waveform)

Given the nature of the plugin,i don't see the point behind the noise,but i've noticed with most good analog models the noise always seems to be there regardless i.e The Drop(albeit a lot lower than this)so it must be a part of the algorithms
Thanks for the explanation. DC is something I need to read up on, I don't understand it fully at the moment.

The Drop is a cracking plugin, using it as we speak.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, using the same workaround, but quite annoying.

What is your type of:
  • OS
  • DAW
  • Graphics card
  • Mac OSX (El Capitan - Hackintosh)
  • Bitwig 2.3 Beta 5
  • NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti
Old 24th February 2018
But b0se, you don't have the inactive frequency bands issue, correct?

If not, that narrows it down to Windows, so far. Which is usually also where most of the audio software houses are lacking: Windows hardening.
Old 24th February 2018
Inactive dots temp workaround

Quote:
But b0se, you don't have the inactive frequency bands issue, correct?

If not, that narrows it down to Windows, so far. Which is usually also where most of the audio software houses are lacking: Windows hardening.
As stated above : I have the inactive dots and I'm on Logic 10.4 on a MacPro 12 core. So the inactive frequency bands are not narrowed down to windows. ;-(

Temp workaround after quite a bit of monkey clicking : Click the middle volume control once ( changing value not necessary) and that, in my case at least, restores the focus of the frequency bands without further ado and closing and opening. Hope it works on windows like that too.

Cheers
Old 24th February 2018
@ macfrans , I missed that, sorry.
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Nut

Looks like this is a new trend lately. Devs release uncooked products and BUYERS do they work with testing.
Actually nothing special with this plugin...enable solo mode in your eq, hit it with disto of your choice and parallel mix...that's it. Overpriced for what it does imho.
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
yeh...

check this one out...this shows how "unstable" oversampling can be...(sine wave input)

(click pic for full res)
Both your examples/tests are interesting, thanks.
I note you have Aggressive mode selected in both tests.
Is that coincidence?
Do you get the same results in Subtle and Moderate modes?
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Both your examples/tests are interesting, thanks.
I note you have Aggressive mode selected in both tests.
Is that coincidence?
Do you get the same results in Subtle and Moderate modes?
I was always using Subtle.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search