The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System
Old 25th January 2018
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System

Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-1_ox-front.jpg

Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — A Premium Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System

Giving guitarists legendary album tones from their existing tube amps, anywhere, at any volume

January 25th, 2018 — Universal Audio, a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is proud to announce that OX Amp Top Box is now shipping worldwide.

OX is a premium reactive load box and guitar recording system, giving guitarists perfectly studio-miked amp sounds from their existing tube amp. OX lets users play and record tube amps in their ideal sweet spots — from the edge-of-breakup to fully cranked — with perfect dynamics at any volume level, and with stunning mic, room, and speaker cabinet emulations at the turn of a knob.

Featuring Universal Audio’s breakthrough Dynamic Room Modeling and Dynamic Speaker Modeling, OX is the first amp recording system to accurately emulate speaker breakup and cone cry — an essential ingredient to organic tube amp tones — generating additional harmonics and sonic complexity when the amp is cranked.

Using OX Amp Top Box, guitarists can quickly audition a range of expert cabinet/mic/room combinations — and may find that they never need to mic their tube amp again.

The OX Amp Top Box also features a sleek software app for control over all of OX’s parameters via its built-in Wi-Fi, letting guitarists audition, tweak, and store hundreds of cabinet/mic/room presets. Together with a great-sounding tube amp, OX quickly delivers the tastiest album-quality guitar tones of all time.

OX Amp Top Box is now shipping with an estimated street price of $1,299.

OX Amp Top Box — Key Features:
  • Premium, no-compromise analog reactive load box and guitar recording system for tube guitar amps
  • Instant album-quality mic and speaker cabinet tones via front-panel “RIG” control
  • No amp miking experience needed — get record-ready sounds quickly with expertly-placed mics
  • Five finely-tuned guitar amp attenuation levels — from off to whisper quiet to full band volume
  • UA Dynamic Speaker Modeling emulates speaker breakup and cone cry
  • World-class Universal Audio EQ, compression, delay, and reverb effects built-in
  • Selectable 4, 8, and 16-ohm operation
  • Front-panel Headphone out for silent practice with cranked tones
  • Balanced TRS line outs, and S/PDIF digital outputs for stereo recording
  • Pair with OX mobile or desktop app over Wi-Fi for editing and saving presets

Learn more about OX Amp Top Box at uaudio.com/ox.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-1_ox-front.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-ox-ipad_updated.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-ox-back_updated.jpg  
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Addict

Universal Audio OX

OX | Amp Top Box | Universal Audio
Old 25th January 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
I don't even know why I try to listen to gear demos on laptop speakers.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Nut

I can't find the full list of cabs, and the wording of everything is very Guitar-centric... are there Bass Cab IR's? Paid add-on?
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

This looks like the perfect companion for my good old Dual Rectifier
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Head

Sounds good, is very convenient, and I have no doubt this will give good quality, hifi guitar sound.

But I still intend to use real cabinets, rooms and microphones, because I want to search my own sound and non-perfections in this process are interesting.
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear
Didn't they release this a year ago? Or is this another one?
Old 28th January 2018
News Desk Editor

Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Either I’m about to build a walk-in fridge size iso booth or get one of these if they are as good as a real cab with good mics and pres.

They need a deluxe version with an 8 head switcher built in
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

I have a demo here and I must say: It's fantastic, I love it.
I'm a filmcomposer and over the years, I collected a nice collection of amps, an old 64 AC30, Marshall 1987T from 1970, Hiwatt DR103 from 79, Fender Super from 66 and a few others. I love to play these amps, but it's always a pita to use them in my regular workflow, so I always have to decide: is the track "worth" it, that I pull out the amp of choice, lay out all the cables, check the mics, adjust the sound in the room and then try to get the same into my computer. 2 hours, if I'm concentrated.
OX makes all this really easy in no time, it's like a plugin, but with a real amp. The build in cabs are to my ears really good. All I have to do is take a photo of the amp settings, bingo, I can record again in 5 days with the same sound. Which is important to me.
I have a Weber Mass, it was an okay compromise, but Ox is a complete new league. I tried a lot of software over the years, also had a Kemper here, 2 times, but I was never convinced. Software drives me crazy, I never had a sound, that satisfied me, Kemper was good, but the feeling was "again", somehow strange. I wanted to like it, but it didn't work. With Ox, I play a real amp, and I feel it. It's organic.
I don't know, wether it's for everybody. Changing sounds takes half a second, there's a footswitch, but not functional ?? there are also 3 USB ports, also not functional. The digital out (spdif) is only 44.1.
For me as a studio guy, it's heaven, I hope, they will bring more rigs in the future, but what we have, is a fantastic and solid base.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Addict

Nice. Anyone know...Does this have a UAD dsp in it and if so, can i run uad plugs on it or just the cut down ones in the demo?

Shame the spdif is limited to 44.1
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi View Post
I have a demo here and I must say: It's fantastic, I love it.
I have a Weber Mass, it was an okay compromise, but Ox is a complete new league. I tried a lot of software over the years, also had a Kemper here, 2 times, but I was never convinced. Software drives me crazy, I never had a sound, that satisfied me, Kemper was good, but the feeling was "again", somehow strange. I wanted to like it, but it didn't work. With Ox, I play a real amp, and I feel it. It's organic.
Thanks for the review! I had a kemper too and thought it sounded a bit too DI like. My suhr RL again, doesn't feel as snappy to me as a real miced cab.

Have you done a direct comparison between the OX and real mics? I'm about to swing for a royer 121 but if the OX really is THAT good, I would prefer that for noise constraints and price of course. I am however, very very very picky about feel, sound, weight, clarity and responsiveness.

Any further thoughts?
Old 31st January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post

Have you done a direct comparison between the OX and real mics?

Any further thoughts?
I have, all day today, I'm not 100% sold yet to be honest. I need to further experiment as it doesn't sound the same. I wont' say it's bad per se. it just "feels" different than the same combo mic'ed in my studio with the exact same mics. The emulations feel... for lack of better word a little "thin" and "pokey". for example, I can't get a good chug when palm muting, it's a lot thinner, and I tried all their emulations and all mic combinations. (tried a few different amps) I dunno, maybe it's the proximity effect of my mics against my cabs but the 57+R121 combo don't sound the same, even each individual mic sounds fairly different. Could be that it's the way they liked it when processing their emulations, or maybe I found the sweet spot on my cabs with my own mics... I think they might sit just fine in a mix, and maybe that's the point if they're meant to sound sorta pre-mixed, but as a player it doesn't feel 100% natural.

I'm not jumping to any conclusion here, but I will say that it definitely "feels" different when playing, in a not-so-good way. (was A/B'ing the cab + mics against emulation with same mics)

Now the attenuator itself is frankly the best thing I've ever heard!! I"m totally sold on that alone.

More experimenting tomorrow, we'll see...
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
I have, all day today, I'm not 100% sold yet to be honest. I need to further experiment as it doesn't sound the same. I wont' say it's bad per se. it just "feels" different than the same combo mic'ed in my studio with the exact same mics. The emulations feel... for lack of better word a little "thin" and "pokey". for example, I can't get a good chug when palm muting, it's a lot thinner, and I tried all their emulations and all mic combinations. (tried a few different amps) I dunno, maybe it's the proximity effect of my mics against my cabs but the 57+R121 combo don't sound the same, even each individual mic sounds fairly different. Could be that it's the way they liked it when processing their emulations, or maybe I found the sweet spot on my cabs with my own mics... I think they might sit just fine in a mix, and maybe that's the point if they're meant to sound sorta pre-mixed, but as a player it doesn't feel 100% natural.

I'm not jumping to any conclusion here, but I will say that it definitely "feels" different when playing, in a not-so-good way. (was A/B'ing the cab + mics against emulation with same mics)

Now the attenuator itself is frankly the best thing I've ever heard!! I"m totally sold on that alone.

More experimenting tomorrow, we'll see...
Wow, thanks a lot! I’ve been searching far and wide to find someone who actually compared it to real mics There’s been nothing but positive reviews, but no comparisons. Look forward to your conclusion!
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

ok so I realized today after more experimentation that I shouldn't compare the Ox amp and my mic'd cab apple to apple, they're different animals and the Ox Amp needs to be used differently. I can honestly say that after being this close to returning it, I'm now completely sold. it's really really good!
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

On Come on man you can’t switch up on us like that. Now I’m gassing again for this!!
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok so I realized today after more experimentation that I shouldn't compare the Ox amp and my mic'd cab apple to apple, they're different animals and the Ox Amp needs to be used differently. I can honestly say that after being this close to returning it, I'm now completely sold. it's really really good!
What was your “aha” moment then? Do you mean you need to compare the ox to mic’ed up AND eq’d amps, so as to compare finished sound vs finished sound?
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What was your “aha” moment then? Do you mean you need to compare the ox to mic’ed up AND eq’d amps, so as to compare finished sound vs finished sound?
Turns out the Ox amp mics and main output need to be quite heavily EQ'd (in the Ox app itself)

So the end result is close but different than my mic'd cab if, that makes any sense, but in the end equally as good on their own.
If I started a project with the OX Amp alone, in the final mix I have no doubt it'd shape up to be great.

M-Rose Productions - Boutique Production Music, Trailers & Underscore
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Turns out the Ox amp mics and main output need to be quite heavily EQ'd (in the Ox app itself)

So the end result is close but different than my mic'd cab if, that makes any sense, but in the end equally as good on their own.
If I started a project with the OX Amp alone, in the final mix I have no doubt it'd shape up to be great.

M-Rose Productions - Boutique Production Music, Trailers & Underscore
So the weight of the chugging is back then?
Well anyways, I ordered one myself to compare to my mics so will experience it soon!
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So the weight of the chugging is back then?
Well anyways, I ordered one myself to compare to my mics so will experience it soon!
Don't be disappointed at first when you just fire it up and A/B your mics. I know I really was. I think the trick is to eq the hell out of it and it'll actually start sounding really good. It will be different than your cab+mics but good nonetheless.

If I can I'll upload some files.

Please share your experience, would love to hear your take on it.

www.MRosepProductions.com
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

I don't feel the need to compare it to a certain mic. Of course, this will sound always different to what the label says in the software. It's a software "emulation". So, at least I don't expect to have exactly the same thing as the real life. But this software makes a super job and I like, what I hear very much ! Funnily, I would have all the mics to compare them. But the bigger differences are the cabs, and here I go by ear, not by what I see. Yes, EQ is an important factor to dial the sound in. The factory sounds are very "mix friendly", means: pretty trebly, not much bass. But this is quickly fixed with the EQ, which I prefer to use in graphic mode. Plus I like, what the cab drive does. The Delay is solid, Plate reverb is VERY nice, but sometimes I think: spring reverb ? Or a 15" ? I hope, they update this thing. I keep mine !
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Addict

At first I thought "???WTF is with the upside down labels??" And then I realized what total genius it is.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

Version for vocalists

Could this unit be used for vocalists? For example it would be great to run a mic signal into it, dial in some UAD plug-ins (compression, reverb, delay, doubling), create some presets, and be able to send this signal to a stage snake. If not I’d be so interested in a box that could do that.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

No, it's a loadbox for guitar amplifiers, means, you take the speaker output of a guitaramp and connect this to the Ox. Then Ox can lower the output volume of the amp or completely emulate a virtual speaker, which you can record in your DAW. What you need is a micpre, eg an interface like the Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII Solo or something similar. Have a look at Universal Audio's webpage.
Old 4th February 2018
That Pedal Show episode is litt! Congrats on epic new really amazing product!
Old 6th February 2018
noticeable delay between playing and sound reproduction? I experienced this with a kemper which has always kept me away..
However this unit with my amps in studio would be a life saver - sick of amp sim plugins/running 100 feet to adjust the mic for an hour.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

DAMMMMNNNN!.. I was expecting the price to be well over $2000.00.
But now I see there are a couple limitation such as the 44khz only digital. I wonder what if that is what it operates at internally?
Doesn't seem like you can add plugins later, either, but maybe with future updates UA can add more?
Also that you can't load your own impulses but that's not big deal for me.
But I also noticed the app is only for Ipad or mac. That is a deal breaker for me.

But the good stuff here is quite nice. Wifi, presets with front panel control, UA effects.
All in all for this price looks good to me.
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Nut

Anyone tried a bass rig into it yet? Curious minds... vee vant answers!
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mild View Post
Anyone tried a bass rig into it yet? Curious minds... vee vant answers!
I'm very curious about this as well. Are there bass cab emulations?
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I'm very curious about this as well. Are there bass cab emulations?
Curious to know too!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search