The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System
Old 9th December 2018
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
I could identify the ISO guitars 4 times out of 4 - too much of a difference to me.
I guess I'll skip on the OX...
Yeah I returned it. The Ox is fun but didn’t do it for me sonically.
Old 9th December 2018
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Yeah I returned it. The Ox is fun but didn’t do it for me sonically.
I had a brief chat with a "big gun" here in my country who did the same - he returned it after a week of testing.
To me Logic plugs aren't that dissimilar from the OX.
Old 9th December 2018
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
I had a brief chat with a "big gun" here in my country who did the same - he returned it after a week of testing.
To me Logic plugs aren't that dissimilar from the OX.
I haven’t used the Logic stuff but yeah, it sounds like a sim to me. A good sim, but a sim. But at $1200 or whatever it is, it’s a real, real expensive sim. And that doesn’t even count that you supply the amps.

If I was gonna go the sim route, I’d do the Kemper, which I also bought and returned (twice). I think it’s on the same level sonically but it’s a better deal. Neither of them sound as real and dimensional as my ISO cab setup so I stuck with that. Plus, I keep two dynamics, a ribbon and an LDC in the ISO and those options are invaluable to me at mix time. I think I’m just not a sim guy. Everything flattens out and gets indsitinct and phase smeared. Real amps, even in an ISO cab, have a punch and a dimensionality that I’m not willing to sacrifice.
Old 9th December 2018
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I haven’t used the Logic stuff but yeah, it sounds like a sim to me. A good sim, but a sim. But at $1200 or whatever it is, it’s a real, real expensive sim. And that doesn’t even count that you supply the amps.

If I was gonna go the sim route, I’d do the Kemper, which I also bought and returned (twice). I think it’s on the same level sonically but it’s a better deal. Neither of them sound as real and dimensional as my ISO cab setup so I stuck with that. Plus, I keep two dynamics, a ribbon and an LDC in the ISO and those options are invaluable to me at mix time. I think I’m just not a sim guy. Everything flattens out and gets indsitinct and phase smeared. Real amps, even in an ISO cab, have a punch and a dimensionality that I’m not willing to sacrifice.
Your guitar tones are great!
Old 11th December 2018
  #65
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
I just bought the OX -- using it with a Bad Cat Cub IIR, Suhr Badger 30, Komet Concorde, Schroeder DB9, and TwoRock Custom Reverb Signature, all connected to an amp & cab switcher so swapping between amps is instant. The OX is replacing a Palmer PDI-03 which has served swimmingly up until now.

In a word: impressive! I've heard a slew of recordings and comparisons and I don't believe I've ever heard one that properly illustrates what this box can do. The magic comes from the interaction of it's excellent reactive load, speaker and mic modeling (not IRs) and the great sound of the room channel.

It can sound merely ok, or even bad, depending upon how you mix amps with speakers and mics, so it does NOT make you an instant engineer. It takes the same kind of experimentation that an all-analog guitar rig would require, finding a complimentary blend of all the components, but it lets you do this so easily that swapping components takes very little time and effort.

UA properly modeled the speakers, mics and room, and the load is great at taking the incoming signal, and the interface is smart and fast.

I've been staying very close to all of these amp recording options for almost two decades and this is one of the most solid improvements I've made to my workflow in that time. It's expensive, but money well spent.
Old 12th December 2018
  #66
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I haven’t used the Logic stuff but yeah, it sounds like a sim to me. A good sim, but a sim. But at $1200 or whatever it is, it’s a real, real expensive sim. And that doesn’t even count that you supply the amps.

If I was gonna go the sim route, I’d do the Kemper, which I also bought and returned (twice). I think it’s on the same level sonically but it’s a better deal. Neither of them sound as real and dimensional as my ISO cab setup so I stuck with that. Plus, I keep two dynamics, a ribbon and an LDC in the ISO and those options are invaluable to me at mix time. I think I’m just not a sim guy. Everything flattens out and gets indsitinct and phase smeared. Real amps, even in an ISO cab, have a punch and a dimensionality that I’m not willing to sacrifice.
If it’s not too off topic I’m curious what your isobox set up is like? Purchased or diy? Pics would be awesome if it’s available
Old 12th December 2018
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roho View Post
If it’s not too off topic I’m curious what your isobox set up is like? Purchased or diy? Pics would be awesome if it’s available
No problem.

I built it. It's just a 3/4" MDF box. Inside I built a little stage for the speaker cab to sit on and I built in 2" of rockwool on every side, including the top. The two main amps I use are a Deluxe Reverb and an AC15 so I built some cabs for each of those and loaded them with the same speakers. I also have just chunks of wrapped rockwool that I keep in the cavity around the mics. All that rockwool is really necessary for getting rid of the boxy comb filtering as much as possible.

I also put the ISO box itself on some of those thick rubber appliance feet and the cab inside sits on some of those as well (they're like softer hockey puck kind of deals). Helps with the low end rumble.

The ISO box itself is just a white thing in the corner.

So when I'm tracking, the actual amps are out by me and I can sit at mix position and just listen to the sound going to tape through the monitors. Works really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_7063.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_1374.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_9401.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_7063.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_9402.jpg  

Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_9551.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_9553.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_9580.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_9567.jpg   Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System-img_7768.jpg  

Old 12th December 2018
  #68
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I haven’t used the Logic stuff but yeah, it sounds like a sim to me. A good sim, but a sim. But at $1200 or whatever it is, it’s a real, real expensive sim. And that doesn’t even count that you supply the amps.

If I was gonna go the sim route, I’d do the Kemper, which I also bought and returned (twice). I think it’s on the same level sonically but it’s a better deal. Neither of them sound as real and dimensional as my ISO cab setup so I stuck with that. Plus, I keep two dynamics, a ribbon and an LDC in the ISO and those options are invaluable to me at mix time. I think I’m just not a sim guy. Everything flattens out and gets indsitinct and phase smeared. Real amps, even in an ISO cab, have a punch and a dimensionality that I’m not willing to sacrifice.
My only gripe with the grossman audio iso box I used to have, was the massive eq cut I had to do to get it to not sound as if in a small box. After the iso box, the kemper and ox, I'm back to real mics in the room
Old 13th December 2018
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Those DIY speaker cabinets are cute!
But perhaps you could have built an ISOBOX with a speaker baffle directly?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
No problem.

I built it. It's just a 3/4" MDF box. Inside I built a little stage for the speaker cab to sit on and I built in 2" of rockwool on uevery side, including the top. The two main amps I use are a Deluxe Reverb and an AC15 so I built some cabs for each of those and loaded them with the same speakers. I also have just chunks of wrapped rockwool that I keep in the cavity around the mics. All that rockwool is really necessary for getting rid of the boxy comb filtering as much as possible.

I also put the ISO box itself on some of those thick rubber appliance feet and the cab inside sits on some of those as well (they're like softer hockey puck kind of deals). Helps with the low end rumble.

The ISO box itself is just a white thing in the corner.

So when I'm tracking, the actual amps are out by me and I can sit at mix position and just listen to the sound going to tape through the monitors. Works really well.
Old 13th December 2018
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
Those DIY speaker cabinets are cute!
But perhaps you could have built an ISOBOX with a speaker baffle directly?
Certainly. But I like to have options. Sometimes I go up to my family’s cabin and record. With this setup I can put my little satellite cabs out in the shop and run a snake out there to power them/mic them and track that way.

Or when my family is gone I may throw cabs upstairs in a different room and re-amp things. I also don’t want to be stuck with one speaker for ISO cab tracking. Having extra cabs just fits my needs better.
Old 21st March 2019
  #71
Got an OX today.

I don't have the space, time, or tools for much experimentation. So this box gives me a much wider palette than I would have found otherwise. It's also easy to setup and designed with simplicity in mind.

I'm using a Supro Comet then running into an Apollo 8 with SSL E Channel and LA-3A plugins on the channel.

So far I'm impressed and finding it very useful for my workflow as well as an improvement in tonal quality.
Old 21st March 2019
  #72
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekei View Post
Got an OX today.

I don't have the space, time, or tools for much experimentation. So this box gives me a much wider palette than I would have found otherwise. It's also easy to setup and designed with simplicity in mind.

I'm using a Supro Comet then running into an Apollo 8 with SSL E Channel and LA-3A plugins on the channel.

So far I'm impressed and finding it very useful for my workflow as well as an improvement in tonal quality.
Glad to hear that. Since buying it 3 months ago I've only become more impressed. One main observation is that it sounds better digitally than via its analog outs, and by a large degree (to my ears). I've read that some prefer the "warmth" of the analog outs but what that seems to be is a lack of high end and detail. A softness. A less pristine sound. What sucks about this is that the OX only spits out 44.1 KHz, so if you work at a different SR (as I do; 48K) then you have to convert it on the fly.
Old 21st March 2019
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Glad to hear that. Since buying it 3 months ago I've only become more impressed. One main observation is that it sounds better digitally than via its analog outs, and by a large degree (to my ears). I've read that some prefer the "warmth" of the analog outs but what that seems to be is a lack of high end and detail. A softness. A less pristine sound. What sucks about this is that the OX only spits out 44.1 KHz, so if you work at a different SR (as I do; 48K) then you have to convert it on the fly.
Any comparisons between the digital and analog outs that you'd care to share? Or do you know of any posted anywhere?
Old 21st March 2019
  #74
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Any comparisons between the digital and analog outs that you'd care to share? Or do you know of any posted anywhere?
I'll try to get something posted soon (my SRC is somewhat on the fritz so I'll have to nail that down first). It should be easy enough to do fairly since the OX sends analog and digital simultaneously.
Old 18th June 2019
  #75
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

OX Amp Top Box app for Windows now available!!

https://www.uaudio.com/ox/app

OX product page.

https://www.uaudio.com/hardware/ox.html
Old 25th October 2019
  #76
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Ordered one. I'll be really interested to see how this compares to what I'm getting from my ISO cab situation.

If it delivers - it's the Promised Land. If not, it'll go the way of both Kempers I bought (back to the store).
do iso cabs, with everything else in the mix, do they sound ok? Do you have any clips of an iso cab?
Old 26th October 2019
  #77
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbass4 View Post
do iso cabs, with everything else in the mix, do they sound ok? Do you have any clips of an iso cab?
I'm sure he'll speak for himself, but in my experience, they can sound good. Most, however, have a boxiness that I've never been attached to. Amps move a LOT of air and even the best designs struggle to sound natural while absorbing it. I've never heard an iso box that sounds as good as a cab in a room, and the OX gets me convincingly close to that room sound (and sometimes better, since some rooms are less than ideal). The other day I was using the OX to approximate a track that was originally miked (it was well-recorded) and in the end I actually preferred the OX.
Old 2nd November 2019
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbass4 View Post
do iso cabs, with everything else in the mix, do they sound ok? Do you have any clips of an iso cab?
They can work. If you work hard at it, you can absorb a lot of the comb filtering issues they present, but not all of them. I posted clips comparing the OX to my own ISO cab on the previous page of this thread. I liked the ISO better than the OX, by a good bit, but once I discovered Overloud TH-U I actually dismantled my ISO setup (it was bulky as hell) and exclusively use TH-U if I'm not mic'ing real amps. The OX and several Kempers have been returned. TH-U is king of ITB electric guitar for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #79
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

OX v1.2 Released.

www.uaudio.com/ox/app

New In This Version
Five new speaker cabinets
External footswitch control of OX’s built‑in effects
27 new RIGs based on tones from legendary artists and albums
Old 3 weeks ago
  #80
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
OX v1.2 Released.

www.uaudio.com/ox/app

New In This Version
Five new speaker cabinets
External footswitch control of OX’s built‑in effects
27 new RIGs based on tones from legendary artists and albums

Wonderful update!

I wonder what 'they' will complain about now?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #81
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
The interface was always slow to respond with the previous version but it's quick now.
Old 6 days ago
  #82
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
OX v1.2 Released.

www.uaudio.com/ox/app

New In This Version
Five new speaker cabinets
External footswitch control of OX’s built‑in effects
27 new RIGs based on tones from legendary artists and albums
you guys gonna do something for bass guitar with the Ox?
Old 6 days ago
  #83
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbass4 View Post
you guys gonna do something for bass guitar with the Ox?
Many users use OX for bass as it is. As for any bass specific updates, I don't have anything to announce at this time, sorry.
Old 6 days ago
  #84
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
I'm one of those using it for bass. A couple of the 4x12 cabs get the job done quite nicely.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump