The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Ships OX Amp Top Box — Reactive Load Box and Guitar Recording System
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
Don't be disappointed at first when you just fire it up and A/B your mics. I know I really was. I think the trick is to eq the hell out of it and it'll actually start sounding really good. It will be different than your cab+mics but good nonetheless.

If I can I'll upload some files.

Please share your experience, would love to hear your take on it.

www.MRosepProductions.com
Had the ox for a couple of days now. Mainly used headphones on it and tonight did a low volume comparison against my mics. Only comparing sound quality here.

Overall, the mics still respond faster to your pick attack and have greater dynamics, but other than that, I do always get that one sound of my 5e3 cab. Although a great natural sound it is. Bear in mind I haven't cranked it at the slightest.

The ox on the other hand responds a bit slower to your pick attack, but has all the bottom end chug you could wish for. But that last 5% of punch just isn't there. You quickly forget it once playing though. It also seems to sound a bit plastic, or processed, although very good and addictive juicy processed!

SO...

Though the miced cab sounds more real and natural, definitely in attack and air around the notes, the ability to choose a 4x12 and get such an addictive big cab sound is what's going to make me keep this sucker!

Let me put it this way, Sound wise, if I choose a similar cab, the real cab wins, if I choose a big cab I don't have, I forget about this and am happy for the big sound! Feel wise it lacks the last 5%-10% Convenience wise it wins of course!

Think I'm keeping mine...
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
Nice. Anyone know...Does this have a UAD dsp in it and if so, can i run uad plugs on it or just the cut down ones in the demo?

Shame the spdif is limited to 44.1
I’d get one of these if it would allow me to run UAD plugs in my DAW.
If it doesn’t, I’ll pass.
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post
I’d get one of these if it would allow me to run UAD plugs in my DAW.
If it doesn’t, I’ll pass.
It doesn't do that and given that it doesn't have a Thunderbolt port I doubt it ever will. It does have a usb port and it would be cool if you could load existing UAD plugs on to it.

I don't think anything will sound as good as a real amp but, coming from years of using a Hot Plate, the OX is making me happy. I can play my bigger amps again and the lower watt amps I bought more recently also work well with it. For example, I have a 5 watt Blackheart that sounds ok through the 12 inch cab that came with it, but sounds like a boutique amp going through the OX and hitting the Vox cab sim. Really uncanny.

The limitation of 44.1k is a bit annoying but the spdif works really well in practice. I have a long 25 foot optical cable - and no connection or volume issues. I have to change the clock source (I wish it had full i/o) but this is not much of an issue - and this step being glitchy was the one thing I was worried about.

So, yeah, it's not perfect. And yes it's the first generation, and if it's popular the next one will probably be better. But right now, this thing is making playing guitar at home a lot more fun.
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Just a short report after using it for one month. I like it even better, and since it is so easy to setup, I use a lot more guitar than before in my music.
Software via Wifi works tiptop, connection times are quick. I found out, that I can arrow through the cabs and mics, which is superb. Also, every mic has it's own EQ, that wasn't clear to me in the beginning. In the mics section, you can also dial in a direct out signal and use it with a speaker simulation of your choice. For itself, think Beatles Revolution and the likes. Nice.
I also used it on Bass, works very good, just make sure, that you disengage the hipass filters in the mics. Saving your own creations is also supereasy and fast.
I would love to see a spring reverb. I don't like the scaling on the plate reverb wet poti, if I use it, it's mostly on 0,2 to 0,5. The plate reverb sounds fantastic.
Also the room sounds get's a lot of use here.
Last thing: the OX seems to be more sensitive than my regular speakers. It starts to subtle distort, even when my normal speakers still are whistleclean. This is no big thing, as most of the times, I don't compare it, but there's definitely a difference.
I don't mind the 44.1 limit, as I record it "analog" anyway through 2 Neve-style line amps.
Like I said in my first post, this is not a unit for everyone, but as soon as you you have some amps standing around, it's fantastic !
I also reamped lot's of stuff, which also suddenly becomes supereasy.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'm really intrigued by this.

I bought the Kemper, twice. Couldn't quite get my ears or fingers to really buy it. This seems like something I could potentially get into.

Has this video been posted yet? Really nice demonstration of what the Ox can do.

Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Can you not use third-part IR's like Ownhammer etc? It's not totally clear from the spec sheet
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Not in the OX. But you can record the signal without the speaker simulation and use your own IR's
Old 16th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi View Post
Not in the OX. But you can record the signal without the speaker simulation and use your own IR's
Fair enough, but for that price I don't know why they couldn't include a built-in user IR bank. A Mooer radar pedal does that function for under a 150 bucks...

Last edited by Amroth; 16th March 2018 at 09:03 PM..
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Fair enough, but for that price I don't know why they couldn't include a built-in user IR bank. A Mooer radar pedal does that function for under a 150 bucks...
Same with Two Notes Torpedo Live.
I love mine but I am interested in this one as well as the reverbs and delays sound great. Just not sure it’s worth it cause the Two-Notes sounds really good.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Ordered one. I'll be really interested to see how this compares to what I'm getting from my ISO cab situation.

If it delivers - it's the Promised Land. If not, it'll go the way of both Kempers I bought (back to the store).
Old 18th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Ordered one. I'll be really interested to see how this compares to what I'm getting from my ISO cab situation.

If it delivers - it's the Promised Land. If not, it'll go the way of both Kempers I bought (back to the store).
I'm usually not interested in this kind of thing. But this piece looks really intriguing. I'm a little put off by the price, but if it lives up to the hype, it may well be worth every penny. I'm looking forward to your thoughts after you have a chance to live with it a bit, Ragan.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

I'm curious what you'll think as well! I sold my studio a while ago and got a Kemper. Its been extremely useful for me, I mean, its much better than not recording electrics at all.

I recently got a studio running again (albeit this time its small and in my house) and now can actually record amps sometimes. I have a stellar collection of old amps that I acquired over a long period of time and it pains me to not use them anymore. This might be the solution. I'll get around to trying it at some point. In the mean time is fun to see how others like it.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Did you get a chance to AB to your iso cab?
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
Did you get a chance to AB to your iso cab?
Supposed to be here on the 27th, so not yet. I'll post my impressions when I get a chance to compare though.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Here are some clips. One of each of these pairs is the Ox (on the main, panned electric rhythm guitars).

Thoughts?

Old 30th March 2018
Hi Ragan. I am not seeing the clips. Something may be wrong with my Firefox, perhaps.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
Hi Ragan. I am not seeing the clips. Something may be wrong with my Firefox, perhaps.

Oh ok. I’m seeing them on my phone and iMac. They’re embedded Soundcloud clips.

You can also just go to my Soundcloud page at Fir_Out | Fir Out | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Edit: I just checked and I'm seeing the clips on my Windows machine too, FYI.

Last edited by Ragan; 30th March 2018 at 03:24 PM..
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Here are some clips. One of each of these pairs is the Ox (on the main, panned electric rhythm guitars).

Thoughts?

Those all sound great.
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Maniac
Thanks for posting! I think 1A 2A 3B 4B sound more natural. 1B 2B 3A 4A sound more processed, or maybe more finished. a close call which I like better, especially in the case of #3
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thoughts?

Pretty big differences.

G A
G II B
G III A
G IV A

Those are all the same method and I'm guessing they are the real amp. If its the OX then I say get the OX!! It just sounds better. I'm listening on ATH-M50 headphones. The guitars are brighter but it's the organicness that strikes me. The other examples have a weird boxy graininess in comparison and sound a little muffled.
Old 6th April 2018
My preferences:

G, A sounds bigger and more lively, to my ears.
GII, B
GIII, A
GIV, B sounds bigger, but A has a nice, cleaner more-present thing happening, to my ears. Not sure which I prefer. In this instance, maybe A.

My problem before was caused by a Firefox add on, No Script. Got that worked out now.

Nice playing, Ragan.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
My preferences:

G, A sounds bigger and more lively, to my ears.
GII, B
GIII, A
GIV, B sounds bigger, but A has a nice, cleaner more-present thing happening, to my ears. Not sure which I prefer. In this instance, maybe A.

My problem before was caused by a Firefox add on, No Script. Got that worked out now.

Nice playing, Ragan.
Thanks. I can 'reveal' them any time. No interest in making it a big secret, just wanted to give people the opportunity to listen blind if they wanted.

Or if you want the answers, you can just PM me too and I can leave it blind here in the thread.
Old 28th June 2018
Here for the gear
I got it from UA a few weeks ago for tests, but as they did not have artist stock anymore I had to sent in back.

I could not wait, I bought one street price !!!

my amps never sounded that good !!!

Old 1st July 2018
Gear Maniac
I noticed that Dead and Co. are using these on stage
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Tonight I tracked the ox, the 57 panned hard left and the Royer hard right to have them separately in logic. So you know what’s pretty weird? When I flip the phase on one of the ox’s mics, the signal completely nulls out! Even when the Royer’s supposed to have totally different bass content!! It's some kind of voodoo!

Last edited by nicolasmasset; 19th July 2018 at 07:57 PM..
Old 10th November 2018
Lives for gear

Is this solution better than a Kemper?
I got fed up with Logic sims...
Old 11th November 2018
Lives for gear

Depends on your amps !
I bought mine in January and I'm VERY happy with the OX. But I have good amps !
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Thoughts?

Hi! could you please reveal which is which ? Thx for doing this !
Old 7th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallok View Post
Hi! could you please reveal which is which ? Thx for doing this !
Yeah you bet.

Guitars:
A ISO
B OX

Guitars II:
A OX
B ISO

Guitar III:
A ISO
B OX

Guitars IV:
A ISO
B OX

"ISO" is the isolation cab setup I built.
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah you bet.

Guitars:
A ISO
B OX

Guitars II:
A OX
B ISO

Guitar III:
A ISO
B OX

Guitars IV:
A ISO
B OX

"ISO" is the isolation cab setup I built.
I could identify the ISO guitars 4 times out of 4 - too much of a difference to me.
I guess I'll skip on the OX...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search