The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Reference Monitor Series Speakers Studio Monitors
Old 18th April 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
anyway - I wonder if they are real PMC's, or in name only.
probably more pmc than digi?
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

It's gonna be an EDD: an Extended Dongle Deal.

From the Digi website:

The new Digi 004 due in late 2010 comes bundled with the innovative PT11 software that features many technical breakthroughs like Automatic Delay Compensation and the ability to burn CD/DVDs directly from within the Pro Tools application.

The Digi 004 package comes with a special sales rebate coupon that allows our customers to purchase Digidesign Reference Monitor Speakers (*) at a $ 100 discount per monitor. Offer is valid till void.

There will also be a Digi 004 Factory edition coming soon that will add the mp3 option long demanded by Digi users.

(*) PT11 will only work with any of the Digidesign reference monitors connected to the 004 hardware. An iLok license will be necessary.
Old 18th April 2007
A33
Gear addict

"The RM1 is a 5.5-inch two-way ($1249 each) amped at 80w/50w "

"The RM2 is a 6.7-inch two-way ($1749 each) amped at 100w/50w."
Old 18th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
It's gonna be an EDD: an Extended Dongle Deal.

From the Digi website:

[B]The new Digi 004 due in late 2010 comes bundled with the innovative PT11 software that features many technical breakthroughs like Automatic Delay Compensation and the ability to burn CD/DVDs directly from within the Pro Tools application.
[/I]
Does that mean PQ coding from inside protools? That would be great for lots of mastering engineers.
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

so wait...the AES inputs on these only go up to to 96k....

So there is likely no DSD/new HW around the corner.

Pheew.
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

They sound pretty good to me
... even on the noisy NAB floor. thumbsup
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

Are we sure these aren't rebranded M-Audio monitors? Wouldn't that be a shame? tutt
Old 18th April 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post

(*) PT11 will only work with any of the Digidesign reference monitors connected to the 004 hardware. An iLok license will be necessary.
Huh?
Old 18th April 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
The jokes write themselves.
heh

- The LF and HF drivers are not automatically delay compensated or phase-aligned.

- You can't compose a slightly complex MIDI song with them either.
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

jeesus...

What about frequency range?
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
You can only hear 32 tracks at once on the RM1.

Being a long time LE user, that is hilarious...
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Just heard word that Black Lion will be offering a mod by Christmas!

No details.

Old 19th April 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
Just heard word that Black Lion will be offering a mod by Christmas!

No details.

yeah, they're calling it the blue sky something or other mod....
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower View Post
so wait...the AES inputs on these only go up to to 96k....

So there is likely no DSD/new HW around the corner.

Pheew.
That already flies in the face of their own 192KHz interface, does it not?

I do wonder who imposed that particular spec.
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, AES at 96Khz and no Spdif...
So for HD you cant go over 96khz with your 192
Contradictory... And for LE/MP users... analogue only?
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

It all makes perfect sense to me.
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
Wow, AES at 96Khz and no Spdif...
A Spdif to AES adapter is very easy to make ...
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
A Spdif to AES adapter is very easy to make ...
Sure it is... but the point is most would connect to the spdif port, so why not include one and give easy access to all hd/le/mp users...? ...To cut corners, of course!

Like Severe said, makes perfect sense...
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

there are a lot of funny jokes in this thread but little substance.
has anyone listened to these monitors (other than T_R_S)?

they seem like they could be a great product.....
Old 29th July 2007
Here for the gear

I think its time to put some substance into this topic, - instead of bad jokes, - as they dont help anybody ;-)

RM 1
They actually sound great, they are really really detailed and I was very surprised of the detail and stereo-perspective in these monitors.

They are close-field monitors, and you dont need to turn the volume way up to hear whats going on, - which is a blessing if you are working all day. Some might miss some low-end, and want a sub - I dont think it was needed.
Compared to ex 8050a´s the Digidesign/PMC monitors is a whole different storry, they are more in the region of Dyn Air, - but I find them more detailed than the small Air models.

I listend to different genres of music, and they coped very well with all that I threw at them, - especially they revealed detail thats hard - or even imposible to hear on other speakers, - and at a much lower volume level than I´m used to.
Im used to speakers much bigger, and costing more than twice as much as these, but I actually find that they would be a great set of monitors to compliment my bigger monitors.

Build-quality is what you would expect of a monitor in this price range, - and you wont be in any doubt that this is a high-quality monitor when you see it.

In short: I would say that these monitors are for those who like to hear details and the finer stuff - without having to to turn the volume way up. As a compliment to bigger monitors, but not for those who like working with high volumen.
They seem really really flat.

You really should hear these monitors

Hope you can use this.

Cheers
Old 29th July 2007
Lives for gear

i heard the RM2's and was pretty impressed. These are definitely PMC's. Excellent but very expensive. Great detail and the low end didn't seem overhyped, but was definitely felt due to its port design. I liked them a lot.
Old 30th July 2007
Gear Head

So the questions that come to mind:
* Is the RM2 worth the extra dough?
* Are they better then the ALM1?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just demo'd the RM2 last weekend. I A/B'd it against the JBL LSR4328P's ( I know, they are supposed to be in different leagues. The sales people even snorted when I asked to place them together). But you know what? The RM2's did not sound noticeably better than the 4328's. This isn't just me being tone-deaf (no, of course I'm not--I'm a composer afterall)--the sales people were surprised too. This was at Leo's Pro Audio in Oakland, CA, and they have a nice listening room for all the high-end monitors (the sub $2,000 ones are kept in another area of the store), so I know the listening environment was fine. We tested anything from intimate to bombastic orchestral scores, hard-hitting electronica/industrial, vocal jazz, pop..etc. For the most part it was hard to hear any significant difference, and the JBL actually had slightly large soundstage and better clarity in instrument separation on some tracks. The RM2's weren't properly burned in though (they've only played them for about two hours before I arrived). Maybe with the proper 14-hour burn in they'll sound much better? The ATL technology really works though--the bass remained full even at very low volume.
Old 8th July 2008
Thumbs up

I am now in the midst of a 3-day demo session with RM1, in the Philippines! Digidesign has a pretry aggressive rep and dealer here that a lowly studio like mine can demo these PMC-lineage speakers.

The RM1 is SMALL, TINY, TEENY box. And I was warned, don't be fooled by it's size. INDEED!

This is a very high quality REFERENCE MONITOR system, no hype at all. It's too early to say but I'm comfortable saying it does not stray too far from NS10's mids, the sweet deal is it has PLENTY of BASS. There's also a BASS PORT EMULATION that further increases the presence of the bass without affecting the level/balance - no need for a sub. these tiny RM1 speakers MOVE a LOT OF AIR for their size! Uneffin' believable but one can feel the groove with these speakers. Another thing I observed is how focused the sound was regardless of level, even at lower levels of listening the bass is still apparent and clear.

I can really get used to these speakers. I already like and I AM TRYING NOT TO LIKE THEM. I don't really want to purchase a new set of monitors, but I asked for a DEMO and these speakers are really really really nice.

Anyone who have used RM1's on a regular basis have any comments/critiques? I'd like to hear them good/bad - will really help me make a decision - appreciate it slutzes.
Old 8th July 2008
Cool

I'm very curious as to the included ADC feature. My equipment strategy was to have a dedicated set of hardware for AD/DA (Apogee & Lynx), I'm not sure how to weigh this in the scheme of things. But the speakers did sound really well, and the DEMO material prepared contained a lot of songs and genres I am very familiar with.

The demo playback is going out of PT HD through a Rosetta 800 clocked by Big Ben, analog in to RM1 speakers.
Old 11th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post
heh heh

Too many jokes come to mind. I'll keep them to myself..

Is that price for a single?
RM1 = $1249
Pair = $2498..??
For that price are they REALLY that much better than the JBL LSR4328's?
Old 11th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
For that price are they REALLY that much better than the JBL LSR4328's?
That's a tough one. I actually did an one-hour test between the two at Leo's Pro Audio a while back, but this is when the RM2's had just shipped and it wasn't burnt in yet. During my listening test, the RM2's weren't really better than the 4328's, but at the same time, I have not heard them after they were properly burnt in (this is something specific to the RM models and stated in the manuals that you should do so, not some audiophile myth thing).

I'll tell you this though--the 6328's blew the 4328's out of the water. No comparison at all. So if you're thinking of that RM2 price range, definitely check out the 4328's big brothers.
Old 12th July 2008
Gear Addict

I was pretty impressed by these. I had fairly low expectations but they aren't bad monitors. In that price range though, there are several things I would buy first.
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

Any further opinions on these now that the dust has settled?
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

I guess these have been discontinued?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search