The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital Releases Audified U73b Tube Compressor Module Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th January 2018
  #61
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I don't think so.
I can't turn on their oversample mode because my computer laughs when I play something with it going. It takes up about 70% to 80%+ with oversampling and without, at least on my computer, it takes up about 40%+.
So, if it does this in VMR, then no thanks.

Whats everyone else's story on how much cpu the plugin takes in VMR?

Thanks,

Marc
Makes you your computer laugh? Ha. That's a good one!
Old 30th January 2018
  #62
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Makes you your computer laugh? Ha. That's a good one!
I enjoyed that comment also :¬)
Old 30th January 2018
  #63
Lives for gear
 
comfortablynick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
It's 1,83% per instance here, I'm on a vintage 2012 Mac Mini 4 core 2,3GHz i7 and Reaper, not bad but still one of the most taxing plugins I have. FG-Stress is 0,4% per instance, FG-116 vintage 0,25%, Kush Novatron is for example is 1%, FG-X is 1,9%
On my 2011 3.3GHz i7 it takes up 1.2% per instance. Compared to:

FG-Stress: 0.3%
Novatron: 0.6%
FG-116 Vintage: 0.23%
Arousor: 0.4%
MJUC Mk1 (HQ): 1.64%

So it is fairly CPU heavy, but not as bad as MJUC.
Old 31st January 2018
  #64
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Yeah, I just updated to the latest version 2.0.1 or something like that.

Same issue.

U73b/No Oversample = 18% to 28%
W/Oversample = 70% to 109% (meaning clicks and pops)

Novation/No Oversample = 3% to 5%
w/Oversample = 9% to 14%

Novation is thee Best Tube Compressor out to me right now.

Someone needs to help Audified re-write their plugins to be more cpu compatible.

I have yet to use the plugin in a real session.
So much so, I've taken it out and replaced it with Novation, Slate's Tube Stuff,
BRA, Klanghelm, Plugin Alliance, Sonimus and others that have incredible Tube modeled Compressors/Saturation boxes.

Jus Saying....

Marc
Old 1st February 2018
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Mikey MTC's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Wow conspiracy theories abound! VMR is a wrapper, nothing more.
I probably shouldn't pick on individual words, but "wrapper" I think has negative connotations.

A wrapper might be an AAX plugin that hosts VST plugins. There's a lot of code rivers to cross there and presumably some overhead added in the process.

VMR (and McDSP and Sound Toys strips) are more like frameworks. The "frame" takes care of all of the connection to the host stuff and the individual processor then does the rest. There's no doubling up or wasted cycles.

The ONLY issue I've ever had with VMR is that my controller can't talk to it - which is kind of fine because it would be a cluster f*** if it did!
Old 1st February 2018
  #66
I want VMR to go single already. It’s 2018 man. I’m so over this rack stuff. I need individual units.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #67
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
I probably shouldn't pick on individual words, but "wrapper" I think has negative connotations.

A wrapper might be an AAX plugin that hosts VST plugins. There's a lot of code rivers to cross there and presumably some overhead added in the process.

VMR (and McDSP and Sound Toys strips) are more like frameworks. The "frame" takes care of all of the connection to the host stuff and the individual processor then does the rest. There's no doubling up or wasted cycles.

The ONLY issue I've ever had with VMR is that my controller can't talk to it - which is kind of fine because it would be a cluster f*** if it did!
Are you using VST or AAX? VST does not work since Slate Digital ignore the VST programmers guide. Are there similar issues with AAX format too?
Old 2nd February 2018
  #68
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Hi Bace, there are absolutely no issues with our plug-ins and VST. If you have issues contact Support and we will help you.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 3rd February 2018
  #69
Gear Head
 

I have a question on the Compression Amount feature, which is is not present in the Audified standalone version. What is it doing? The VMR manual says this: "The Comp. Amount allows you to adjust the compression effect while benefiting the module’s saturation and color. Thereby, this is not a dry/wet parameter.
" That's a bit cryptic. Is it a threshold control? A character knob?

Also, is the CPU hit difference the omission of oversampling/anti-aliasing only, or are other simplifications part of the VMR version?

Last edited by Yammer; 3rd February 2018 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: Added a second question
Old 3rd February 2018
  #70
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi Bace, there are absolutely no issues with our plug-ins and VST. If you have issues contact Support and we will help you.

Cheers,
Steven
I have of course been in contact wth your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Support @ Slate from 7 aug 2015
We investigated this issue and it's actually normal that the AI-knob doesn't work with our plugins (with the plugin's GUI) cause it is not implemented at the moment.

This feature is essentially in VST3.

We're currently refactoring our VST3 wrapper so we'll be able to add this feature.
This will be a future update (no scheduled dates at this time since the VST3 wrapper refactoring requires a lot of work).

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.
Regards,

Paul Hessing
Slate Digital | Steven Slate Drums | Slate Media Technology
Technical Support Specialist
and from the SDK manual about findParameter in VSTGui.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSTSDK programmers guide
It is highly recommended to implement this interface. A host can implement important functionality when a plug-in supports this interface.

For example, all Steinberg hosts require this interface in order to support the "AI Knob".
So I disagree, absolutely issues with VST, on a very fundamental level that is.
Old 4th February 2018
  #71
Lives for gear
 
mikeg09's Avatar
Working on a new song and the U73b compressor is incredible! I didn't really like it on vocals that much because I have a sound that I like already but for "other things" it is by far the best comp I have ever heard!!!! Ill post up the song when its done.
Old 6th February 2018
  #72
Lives for gear
 

Hungry I tell you. Not earth shattering, but far more than ANY other slate VMR plug (or really any combination)

Any host, windows 10 here.
Old 7th February 2018
  #73
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Working on a new song and the U73b compressor is incredible! I didn't really like it on vocals that much because I have a sound that I like already but for "other things" it is by far the best comp I have ever heard!!!! Ill post up the song when its done.
So glad you are loving it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Hungry I tell you. Not earth shattering, but far more than ANY other slate VMR plug (or really any combination)

Any host, windows 10 here.
It's a bit more heat than some of the other modules, but hopefully you find the hit worth it!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 11th February 2018
  #74
Is buying slate plugins over?
Old 11th February 2018
  #75
Gear Head
 
ianblack8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
Is buying slate plugins over?
I assume Audified U73b is only available here: Audified | u73b Compressor (but outside of VMR)
Old 11th February 2018
  #76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianblack8 View Post
I assume Audified U73b is only available here: Audified | u73b Compressor (but outside of VMR)
Yea it's been at least two weeks and still no buy option on the Slate site but subscribers can use it.
Old 12th February 2018
  #77
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
Is buying slate plugins over?
Yep, just like drummers in the studio.
Old 12th February 2018
  #78
Lives for gear
 

Did I already mention this? Sorry if so.

A perpetual license is likely to cost at least 150 bones. So, if you are buying perpetual licenses, that can add up to a grand or more easily.

I paid 1fiddy for my year license. So for at least 5 years, I'm under the perpetual license by a bit, if not a lot.

Who knows what is going to be the bee's knee's in 5 years? And the sub gives you everything, not just what you paid for.

Please don't get mad, it's just how I saw the maths. Made more sense to me.
Old 12th February 2018
  #79
Gear Maniac
 
rackgear's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Yep, just like drummers in the studio.
Apparently your studio must be in your bedroom, ask your mom if she could take you to a professional studio..
Old 12th February 2018
  #80
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackgear View Post
Apparently your studio must be in your bedroom, ask your mom if she could take you to a professional studio..
This coming from a guy who's avatar has a tape deck with two reels running in opposite directions.....
Old 12th February 2018
  #81
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Did I already mention this? Sorry if so.

A perpetual license is likely to cost at least 150 bones. So, if you are buying perpetual licenses, that can add up to a grand or more easily.

I paid 1fiddy for my year license. So for at least 5 years, I'm under the perpetual license by a bit, if not a lot.

Who knows what is going to be the bee's knee's in 5 years? And the sub gives you everything, not just what you paid for.

Please don't get mad, it's just how I saw the maths. Made more sense to me.
I'm one of the many that already owns all Slates plugins so I would be paying sub for one plugin It would make sense if I was a few plugins behind and I wasn't worried about being made unemployed.
Old 13th February 2018
  #82
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
I'm one of the many that already owns all Slates plugins so I would be paying sub for one plugin It would make sense if I was a few plugins behind and I wasn't worried about being made unemployed.
My question for you (and someone in your shoes), is how will you proceed from hence forth?

You clearly like our plugins (thank you!), so if we come out with another ten this year at average price $150, that's $1500 if you want them, or even $750 if you like half of them.... versus $180 (or less on sale) to use the same plugins via Everything Bundle.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 13th February 2018
  #83
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
My question for you (and someone in your shoes), is how will you proceed from hence forth?

You clearly like our plugins (thank you!), so if we come out with another ten this year at average price $150, that's $1500 if you want them, or even $750 if you like half of them.... versus $180 (or less on sale) to use the same plugins via Everything Bundle.

Cheers,
Steven
I recently decided to sell off my perpetual licenses and go with the Everything Bundle. (Even after hating the idea of it for a long time, but I pocketed a good amount of money and they all sold the same day).
I also own VMS One and I’m pretty happy with my decision, however I can’t update to anything past 1.7 because it freezes Pro Tools on Windows. Patiently waiting for the fix, but I have to say the bundle is well worth it now.
Old 13th February 2018
  #84
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
My question for you (and someone in your shoes), is how will you proceed from hence forth?

You clearly like our plugins (thank you!), so if we come out with another ten this year at average price $150, that's $1500 if you want them, or even $750 if you like half of them.... versus $180 (or less on sale) to use the same plugins via Everything Bundle.

Cheers,
Steven
Steven,

I love your products! I too, had most of your plugs perpetual before subscription was an option. For my situation I still prefer perpetual licenses... For now.

To answer your question:

The day you put out 10 amazing plugins in a year I'll reevaluate my position. I doubt I'll be doing that anytime soon. I also don't know if it would be good for me to have THAT many choices on a mix

Also, committing to the monthly expenditure is a different strategy. If I need to trim expenditures and drop subscription... at any time... all of my plugins go away. With my perpetual licenses, I have what I have, regardless. So if the belt tightening has to start, I don't have sessions with plugs I can't open.

But, Everything Bundle is awesome and I do consider it now and again.

Please don't ever go subscription only! I'd have to go elsewhere with my business.
Old 14th February 2018
  #85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
My question for you (and someone in your shoes), is how will you proceed from hence forth?

You clearly like our plugins (thank you!), so if we come out with another ten this year at average price $150, that's $1500 if you want them, or even $750 if you like half of them.... versus $180 (or less on sale) to use the same plugins via Everything Bundle.

Cheers,
Steven
I've only seen 3 per year at most and the rest 3rd party that I wasn't interested in. I could go unemployed at any time I don't want to loose a load of plugins at the same time. It sounds like you have gone subscription only so I'm going on a Slate diet.
Old 14th February 2018
  #86
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Hi Joe, in the last two years we've released:

1. U73b Compressor
2. FG-Stress Compressor
3. Virtual Tube Preamp/Console NY
4. Virtual Tube Preamp/Console London
5. Virtual Tube Preamp/Console Hollywood
6. Verbsuite Classics
7. Eiosis e2 De-Esser
8. Repeater Analog Delay Unit
9. FG-116 Blue Vintage
10. FG-116 Blue Modern
11. Air and Earth Modules
12. Two Reverb Expansions for Verbsuite
13. S-Gear Guitar Amp Plugin

For the record, to purchase any of the above plugins or plugin bundles would be equivalent to about a year of the Everything Bundle, which is why I insist that people go that route if they are looking for a far more economical way to use our software.

In 2018, we'll have about two dozen new plugins added to the bundle including some major requests.

As for subscription only, it's not the case. You can purchase any plugin that is included in our Everything Bundle outright, including the U73b at Audified | Audio research and solutions

Cheers,
Steven
Old 14th February 2018
  #87
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
I have a question on the Compression Amount feature, which is is not present in the Audified standalone version. What is it doing? The VMR manual says this: "The Comp. Amount allows you to adjust the compression effect while benefiting the module’s saturation and color. Thereby, this is not a dry/wet parameter.
" That's a bit cryptic. Is it a threshold control? A character knob?

Also, is the CPU hit difference the omission of oversampling/anti-aliasing only, or are other simplifications part of the VMR version?
I don't think this bit is in the manual and I'm not sure what the technical term is, but, I consider the Comp Amount section as "Smack Your Momma"

Beastly
Old 14th February 2018
  #88
Lives for gear
 
JulianFernandez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackgear View Post
Apparently your studio must be in your bedroom, ask your mom if she could take you to a professional studio..
Old 14th February 2018
  #89
Gear Nut
 
MichaelDroste's Avatar
 

I'm on Netflix and that's it - no subscriptions for me - when adobe stops working - I'll move to affinity photo or pixelmator pro

I don't want subscriptions I would rather buy and pay for updates... personal preference
Old 14th February 2018
  #90
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
Are there plans to release the full EQ section of Eiosis Air EQ in VMR?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump