Waves releases Scheps Omni Channel Plug-In - Page 26 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves releases Scheps Omni Channel Plug-In
Old 16th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I’ll be interested in hearing if people use the insert and what they are putting in it??
Extra instance of the deesser. It’s like having a great dynamic eq in addition to all the rest.
Old 18th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Kodebode: your enthusiasm has made me dig out and use this again (I got the bx SSL channel strip, and was using that a lot instead).

I'd forgotten what a great workflow this has. I had a drum buss that was already sounding half decent, but I wanted some proper vintage flavour, so I dialled up the saturation, out the compressor in, then use the Tone EQs to dial out a bit of low end mud. All in less than a minute without overthinking it.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you tried it on the mix Bus?
In had fun yesterday. So nice highs...
Old 19th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nope- never tried it. Am looking forward to trying it later!
Old 3rd December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I have disabled turbo on my 2.8ghz macbook pro, so your 2.5 was probably running at a higher clock speed as mine doesn't go above 2.8 (for heat reasons i prefer it, and noise reasons).

so your Logic results correlate perfectly with my pro tools results, although my test was over 128 tracks with a different audio file playing on each therefore a lot more stressful to begin with before adding any plugins.

I can't understand how you think 70 instances is frugal. For it's intended use it isn't, IMHO. This is a track insert plugin.. yes,if a reverb had 70 instances, that would be frugal. But of course no one needs 70 reverbs, ever.

What happens when you want to start playing kontakt or sculpture on one of those tracks? or 16 Vi's, maybe 32 which is totally normal? Effects on each of those Vi tracks?

and other effects on those audio tracks?

Anyway:

As thought, i did my fab filter test:

64 stereo audio tracks. (128 playing).

1 ProQ2 with 7 bands on, 1 ProC2, 1 Saturn and 1 pro Ds per channel.

44K as yourself.

128 buffer as yourself (like logic, PT uses 1024 internal buffer which is why, as with yourself, it made no difference).

Total cpu usage for these 256 (64x4) fab filter plugins = 40% max on pro tools meter, 298% on real cpu meter.

So, ~30% lighter than just one waves omni on each of 64 audio channels.

(128 tracks are actually playing in the project at all times btw, for extra room for higher test counts).

BUT.... the fab filter project reloads in 10 seconds vs a minute - the waves project takes longer to save here on exit than the fab filter takes to load.

basically i concur your cpu usage tests 100% but i disagree that said results = efficient.

At least, they have vastly improved things since butch vig vocal channel, which uses 4x the omni channel with all processes enabled.

That's the most ridiculous cpu usage for any channel strip plugin, or any single plugin period that I have ever seen, for a basic streamlined Eq, comp, saturation and single de esser.

Omni is a revelation in comparison and makes the Vig plugin totally redundant.
Your test results are very interesting. I have FF pro bundle and was wondering if I could gain anything additional from the Omni Channel versus just using separate D esser, Comp, Eq, Saturation whatever I want in any order on my channel strip....but then I was thinking "ok, maybe the advantage of having everything in one Plug-in is less CPU usage vs all the different individual plugins..." Guess not!

and to my old macbook pro (maxed out, top of the line 2013 model), FF plugins are already seeming to be CPU hogs that make me want to keep reaching for Logic Stock plugins .

so if not CPU savings I think the only think I might gain from Omni Channel is a different way of mixing as FF plugins are SUPER visual, and channel strips are minimally visual and SUPER "use your ears, buddy" oriented
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’ll be interested in hearing if people use the insert and what they are putting in it??
C4 for instruments, RVox for vocals
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbalizer View Post
Your test results are very interesting. I have FF pro bundle and was wondering if I could gain anything additional from the Omni Channel versus just using separate D esser, Comp, Eq, Saturation whatever I want in any order on my channel strip....but then I was thinking "ok, maybe the advantage of having everything in one Plug-in is less CPU usage vs all the different individual plugins..." Guess not!

and to my old macbook pro (maxed out, top of the line 2013 model), FF plugins are already seeming to be CPU hogs that make me want to keep reaching for Logic Stock plugins .

so if not CPU savings I think the only think I might gain from Omni Channel is a different way of mixing as FF plugins are SUPER visual, and channel strips are minimally visual and SUPER "use your ears, buddy" oriented
I think this is correct... only thing i would add is Omni has a "sound" that is different from the FF sound which has imo the cleanest (no) sound out there.
Old 26th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertb View Post
C4 for instruments, RVox for vocals
Not a bad idea. C4/C6 or F6 depending on my needs I’d say. Curiously though, you, like many others are still finding value in RVox.

Can you tell me what is that makes people like it so much??
Old 26th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Well, for lack of a better word, it just sounds good. At least to my ears. I can't talk for other people but, to my mind, it just seems to add that nice final touch that makes you smile. In my case, I place it at the very end of the line after a few dbs of opto compression. Additionally, I may use some Vocal Rider but quite often it is not even necessary. But, of course, YMMV. Hope it helps.
Old 9th May 2020
Here for the gear

love using it on the mix bus, LOVE the stere/mono and mid/side buttons.

but i use it on pretty much every track for anything, my all in one go-to

thanks Waves & andy !
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Actually, this guy has a live webinar coming up. I first saw it on Facebook...

https://www.waves.com/events/may-202...cheps-open-mix
Old 10th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Actually, this guy has a live webinar coming up. I first saw it on Facebook...

https://www.waves.com/events/may-202...cheps-open-mix
I have no time on Wednesday but I hope they release it afterwards somewhere else online...
Old 11th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
I have no time on Wednesday but I hope they release it afterwards somewhere else online...
They did with the recent CLA Open Mix. I was registered though. Not sure if non-registered get to see the replay but I shouldn't see why not.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Not sure if non-registered get to see the replay but I shouldn't see why not.
yeah it would be pretty stupid if you're trying to sell plugins
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Well their recent CLA one appeared on YouTube a few days ago, so I’d say so. Being in Melbourne their streams are never at a good time for me. I’ve done a couple, but have since gave up trying just to preserve my own sanity. Instead I opt to see them in my own time.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
They did with the recent CLA Open Mix. I was registered though. Not sure if non-registered get to see the replay but I shouldn't see why not.
They appear to turn up on YouTube a short time later, so I don’t think it matters. I think you only miss out on the opportunity to ask questions and enter a giveaway... if they have one running.
Old 12th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Being in Melbourne...
Thought you were in Sydney for some reason, Simon.

Good to know you're a fellow Melbournian, mate.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Nut

One of the best channel strips, if only could be resizable would become my go-to. Great tutorial, thanks!
Old 24th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekstMusick View Post
One of the best channel strips, if only could be resizable would become my go-to. Great tutorial, thanks!
One can make so many useful tones with this sucker. The eq is fan-tastic. Wish comp models were more lively. Sorta meh. Still a rencomp man, I suppose.
Old 24th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
One can make so many useful tones with this sucker. The eq is fan-tastic. Wish comp models were more lively. Sorta meh. Still a rencomp man, I suppose.
I feel ok about the compressors, great for the basic channel strip duties and when needed i use other dedicated ones.
Old 26th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Thought you were in Sydney for some reason, Simon.

Good to know you're a fellow Melbournian, mate.
Well an hour of so SE of Melbourne, but close enough. Everyone knows where Melbourne is, it’s just easier.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Geez mate, that's God's country.

Thanks Si.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
One transparent, one aggressive, one optical. I’m okay with that, it’s like a Swiss army pocket knife. Handy for a lot of things but if you want to dig a hole a shovel is still better.

But that’s a good thing. I have all these other compressors that I spent money on, I’d hate to think that the Pmni would replace me need to use any of them. I’d like to still be able to get my money’s worth out of my investments. I’m actually glad that these compressors will only meet maybe 80%of our needs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Geez mate, that's God's country.

Thanks Si.
God?!? God!?! God has no place within these walls just like facts have not place inside organised religion!!

You’re right though. So even if it wasn’t for COVID I’d still be locking myself away. Actually hard to know if that’s because of the religious community or the producing music thing.
Old 31st May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I pictured Gippsland, Lake's Entrance and Ninety Mile Beach and figured that if you're anywhere near any of those places, it's as close to Heaven as you'll get in Victoria... except of course if you got to stand near Chairman Dan. Not!
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post
Kodebode: your enthusiasm has made me dig out and use this again (I got the bx SSL channel strip, and was using that a lot instead).

I'd forgotten what a great workflow this has. I had a drum buss that was already sounding half decent, but I wanted some proper vintage flavour, so I dialled up the saturation, out the compressor in, then use the Tone EQs to dial out a bit of low end mud. All in less than a minute without overthinking it.
Thanks man, I did change to a new account OK1,. for professional reasons.

Appreciate your feedback.
Old 16th November 2020
Here for the gear

I'm not one for channel strips usually, but I thought I'd demo this one. The saturation module and the compressor are decent. The de-esser seems useful. But the EQ feels very weak to me. It takes two seconds to drop a dedicated EQ — whether "character" or "surgical" — into your mix channel, and about half-a-second more to load a compressor if required. Plus, most DAWS will allow you to save channel strip combinations, so you can craft your own default strip with the plug-ins you like best. I just don't see how this is going to make workflow significantly faster. The Softube American Class A channel strip has a very powerful EQ, and it was worth buying for that alone. But there's no single module in the Scheps that's competitive with my favourite EQ's, compressors, and preamps/saturators.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anybody familiar with the filters' dynamics properties in the de esser? Not totally sure if the time constants change with different filter types or if the extra perceived movement in the narrow bell is an illusion that's a byproduct of filter type.
📝 Reply