The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranborne Audio 500R8, 500ADAT, Camden 500 - a modern approach to 500 series
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
This looks incredible! Glad to see a UK company innovate too - easier to get without all the import lark What are the UK prices? Please don't tell me it's the same in dollars!

Quick question for you guys - BLA have just announced the PBR-8, the pull for that is individual power regulation per slot and (more importantly for many) an easy access patch bay.

1) For the USB unit, I'm assuming (read: hoping!) there will be digital control over slot routing? Easy patching via Mac/PC would be a dream.

2) Is the PSU switched or linear? Any comments on power?

3) Do you plan to release a Camden variation with mojo plus a simple EQ (2 or 3 band)? That would be killer. Hello, mini mixer.
UK pricing is tricky because we haven't settled on how we're handling retail. But it won't be the same amount in sterling as it is in dollars. As you said, that wouldn't make any sense mate! It's made on the island FFS!

As for your other questions:

1) we could do this but it would only give the ability to route the same things that the analogue switches do, no additional functionality/flexiblity. And it would be added cost and software effort. If you really think that's worth it we could look into it.

2) The external PSU is a switched mode, 24V, 5 amp supply with a 4 pin locking connector. The internal regulators to make the 16V, 5V, and other rails are all linear regulators, but at the moment we didn't do a pair of regulators per slot as I think you are asking for? It's a good idea because it guarantees that one slot clipping won't affect the other channels by coupling noise onto the power rails. But if people set their levels correctly it wouldn't be needed.

We could do it but it adds a lot of cost. As we already announced pricing, we would probably upset a lot of people if we added this and then increased the price. But maybe it's worth doing.

3) we have plans to do EQ modules and could do that eventually and would love to (we know how to make nice EQ and mixers!) But the front panel is absolutely rammed and we're not sure how we could do the EQ controls unless we went to a 2 slot module.

Keep the ideas and questions coming mate!

Last edited by Karpmentalise; 28th January 2018 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect mistakes
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
UK pricing is tricky because we haven't settled on how we're handling retail. But it won't be the same amount in sterling as it is in dollars. As you said, that wouldn't make any sense mate! It's made on the island FFS!

As for your other questions:

1) we could do this but it would only give the ability to route the same things that the analogue switches do, no additional functionality/flexiblity. And it would be added cost and software effort. If you really think that's worth it we could look into it.

2) The external PSU is a switched mode, 24V, 5 amp supply with a 4 pin locking connector. The internal regulators to make the 16V, 5V, and other rails are all linear regulators, but at the moment we didn't do a pair of regulators per slot as I think you are asking for? It's a good idea because it guarantees that one slot clipping won't affect the other channels by coupling noise onto the power rails. But if people set their levels correctly it wouldn't be needed.

We could do it but it adds a lot of cost. As we already announced pricing, we would probably upset a lot of people if we added this and then increased the price. But maybe it's worth doing.

3) we have plans to do EQ modules and could do that eventually and would love to (we know how to make nice EQ and mixers!) But the front panel is absolutely rammed and we're not sure how we could do the EQ controls unless we went to a 2 slot module.

Keep the ideas and questions coming mate!
Good stuff with the pricing. 'Apple' £/$ equivalents get a bit tiring.

Cheers for the feedback, appreciate there's always a balance. I'd rather pay a bit more to have that extra bit of functionality/quality, and I think you have a unit here that is worth making an investment in. A lot of ability in one box.

If HW changes would be needed for truly flexible routing (imagine having software 'templates' for signal flow chains; i.e. one for tracking vocals, one for for mixbus etc), or for isolated power, perhaps offer a more expensive special edition?

Either way, all the best with the launch - looks great!

P.S. the website mentions you having worked on award winning gear. Can you share more?
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Decision....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells View Post
During our development benchmarking our conversion to the ADAT protocol is currently at 4 samples. We have more work to do to check that it is stable and there’s not going to be any more problems at that latency figure but we’ve Very confident it should be around there.
Our A/D converters have a 8 sample buffer which is very standard but can’t be reduced without the risk of causing glitching and other artifacts. Hope that helps!
So the most important decision before starting is either USB or the ADAT Box.... right?
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
La Chapelle seems to fit 3 band we and a compressor into half of a 2-slot module — see there new offering they are showing at NAMM 2018.

There are others, too. Seems quite doable in 1-slot module.
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
La Chapelle seems to fit 3 band we and a compressor into half of a 2-slot module — see there new offering they are showing at NAMM 2018.

There are others, too. Seems quite doable in 1-slot module.
When you get yourself a Camden 500 and you look at the front panel board and main board, you can see for yourself that it's at capacity. Our design is nearly completely discrete and takes up loads of space to do properly, especially when you are achieving the noise, distortion, and phase specs we achieve.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you get yourself a Camden 500 and you look at the front panel board and main board, you can see for yourself that it's at capacity. Our design is nearly completely discrete and takes up loads of space to do properly, especially when you are achieving the noise, distortion, and phase specs we achieve.
Ant ETA on sound samples/demos of the Camden?
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suppose you are figuring a more involved EQ than I had.

I look forward to seeing what you guys develop -- so far, your products show a lot of promise!!
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Ant ETA on sound samples/demos of the Camden?
One of the key takeaways for us at the show was that everyone is clamouring for the 500R8 and 500ADAT. That's not to say they weren't impressed with the Camden 500, but people seem almost desperate for the 500R8 and 500ADAT. I think we are going to prioritise getting these to production so we can get these in for late April rather than May (depends a lot on supplier lead-times).

The Camden 500 sounds awesome and we've been tuning the Mojo circuit for a long time now. But given how much negative feedback there is in the circuit, there's still a lot of work to get it stable, as it is inherently instable due to all the negative feedback we use to achieve the noise and distortion figures. It probably needs about 2 more weeks of Ed working through it to get it stable, but at this point I think Ed is gonna crack-on finalising the 500R8 and 500ADAT for production, then come back to the final bits on Camden 500 when that's done.

So sound sample stuff will follow-on from there. I want to take the Camden 500 to some of the London studios we know and get them to have a go, but it needs to be stable to do that. I think rough timing for that will be March-April. I'll keep you guys updated!

By the way, figured I'd share the Sound on Sound video we did at the show in case any of you guys wanted to check it out:
YouTube

Also, here is a video we did that explains who we are and why we're doing Cranborne Audio. You will see and hear me an the other guys at Cranborne, which may be good or bad. In my case with my ugly mug, it's probably bad:
YouTube
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
One of the key takeaways for us at the show was that everyone is clamouring for the 500R8 and 500ADAT. That's not to say they weren't impressed with the Camden 500, but people seem almost desperate for the 500R8 and 500ADAT. I think we are going to prioritise getting these to production so we can get these in for late April rather than May (depends a lot on supplier lead-times).

The Camden 500 sounds awesome and we've been tuning the Mojo circuit for a long time now. But given how much negative feedback there is in the circuit, there's still a lot of work to get it stable, as it is inherently instable due to all the negative feedback we use to achieve the noise and distortion figures. It probably needs about 2 more weeks of Ed working through it to get it stable, but at this point I think Ed is gonna crack-on finalising the 500R8 and 500ADAT for production, then come back to the final bits on Camden 500 when that's done.

So sound sample stuff will follow-on from there. I want to take the Camden 500 to some of the London studios we know and get them to have a go, but it needs to be stable to do that. I think rough timing for that will be March-April. I'll keep you guys updated!

By the way, figured I'd share the Sound on Sound video we did at the show in case any of you guys wanted to check it out:
YouTube

Also, here is a video we did that explains who we are and why we're doing Cranborne Audio. You will see and hear me an the other guys at Cranborne, which may be good or bad. In my case with my ugly mug, it's probably bad:
YouTube
Buying this when it's released

Last edited by b0se; 30th January 2018 at 12:22 AM..
Old 29th January 2018
Deleted efff87a
Seriously the 500ADAT is the one thing I'm most excited about from Winter NAMM. Will likely pick up a pair of Camden's as well.
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Nut

Very impressed. Look forward to trying your products.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
YouTube

YouTube
Very nice. I enjoyed watching both video very much!

Please confirm something for me:

If I had several line-level audio sources, do I still need a preamp in place for a channel to work for getting audio into the DAW?

If not, how is the audio connected... via the XLR input on the rear?

Thanks!
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted efff87a View Post
Seriously the 500ADAT is the one thing I'm most excited about from Winter NAMM. Will likely pick up a pair of Camden's as well.
Cheers guys! All the kind words are really lovely and mean a lot to us.

It's quite crazy as these things have been in our heads for so long and now it's all reality! Well... Nearly... We won't be patting ourselves on the back until they're in your guys' hands
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Very nice. I enjoyed watching both video very much!

Please confirm something for me:

If I had several line-level audio sources, do I still need a preamp in place for a channel to work for getting audio into the DAW?

If not, how is the audio connected... via the XLR input on the rear?

Thanks!
Hey Bruce,

Yes! You can indeed use the rear XLRs for line level sources when no modules are inserted. We think we’re going to put a small switch by the backplane connectors inside the unit to bypass the modules per-slot.... Unless we can think of a better way of doing it!

But yes this facility was one of the first items on our spec.

Great for getting up and running whilst you begin accumulating your modules.
Old 30th January 2018
Quote:
Also, here is a video we did that explains who we are and why we're doing Cranborne Audio.
YouTube
Great video, indeed !

R.
Old 30th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
80Hz HPF and currently 12dB/Oct but we're considering doing 18dB/Oct. Any thoughts on this? We like to get feedback so we get it right.
I would prefer a variable HPF.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

I’m on the lookout for additional ADAT AD, but have no need for any more mic preamps. So are there any ideas/plans for a 500 series unit which has no mic preamp or DI, but instead just some nice analogue circuitry with some mojo, which could fill the slots to create a juicy front end?
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Who will be distributing these products in USA/Canada? The 500ADAT is such a brilliant idea for hardware inserts with my current interface, really excited to peg a price and a time frame on when I can deploy it in my studio
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe I missed this, but can someone confirm if the 500R8 is actually 3U, or 4U high?
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Maybe I missed this, but can someone confirm if the 500R8 is actually 3U, or 4U high?
Looks like 4U to me.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmarine View Post
I would prefer a variable HPF.
For this particular design, we unfortunately do not have the space to make that happen. There’s a lot of components on that board and faceplate. Take a look at some of our pictures on instagram, it’s pretty packed!

Instagram
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmin View Post
Looks like 4U to me.
Same here -- to make room for the summing mixer at the bottom.

I think that should be made obvious on their product page -- assuming users will be placing it in a rack, especially if someone want to get a portable rack with a handle.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
I’m on the lookout for additional ADAT AD, but have no need for any more mic preamps. So are there any ideas/plans for a 500 series unit which has no mic preamp or DI, but instead just some nice analogue circuitry with some mojo, which could fill the slots to create a juicy front end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
It’s something that we could look into but to be honest, the whole Camden 500 mic pre with mojo retails for $349 and has a line input switching option that you can use to apply the mojo processing to live line-level instruments or ADAT sources using the source select switch.

Would you perhaps consider a rack unit that has 8 or so built-in mojo circuits + summing + ADAT I/o? Or do you still want the 500 series flexibility? - just out of curiosity!
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Would LOVE to hear audio samples of the Camden -- especially demonstrating the range of clean vs. mojo on various instruments/voices.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Same here -- to make room for the summing mixer at the bottom.

I think that should be made obvious on their product page -- assuming users will be placing it in a rack, especially if someone want to get a portable rack with a handle.
It is absolutely 4U! I'll be honest, we just forgot to add it onto the specs... there's just so many cool numbers and figures we wanted to write down, rack space got left out!

We will add that as soon as possible, thanks for your feedback. We will also add full weights+dims of the unit once we draw closer to production.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Would LOVE to hear audio samples of the Camden -- especially demonstrating the range of clean vs. mojo on various instruments/voices.
Hey Bruce,

Here's our comment referencing Camden 500 and sound samples from earlier on the thread:

"The Camden 500 sounds awesome and we've been tuning the Mojo circuit for a long time now. But given how much negative feedback there is in the circuit, there's still a lot of work to get it stable, as it is inherently instable due to all the negative feedback we use to achieve the noise and distortion figures. It probably needs about 2 more weeks of Ed working through it to get it stable, but at this point I think Ed is gonna crack-on finalising the 500R8 and 500ADAT for production, then come back to the final bits on Camden 500 when that's done.

So sound sample stuff will follow-on from there. I want to take the Camden 500 to some of the London studios we know and get them to have a go, but it needs to be stable to do that. I think rough timing for that will be March-April. I'll keep you guys updated!"
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
Who will be distributing these products in USA/Canada? The 500ADAT is such a brilliant idea for hardware inserts with my current interface, really excited to peg a price and a time frame on when I can deploy it in my studio
Hey Cody,

Great to hear you're looking looking forward to having a play with a 500ADAT!

We still have a few tings to iron out regarding US distribution and dealers etc... We're starting to set things in motion as we speak... although, If you would like to put in a good word for us at your preferred dealer... then that'll be very much appreciated!!

If you're based in the US, retail for the 500ADAT will be $1199!

Ells
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells View Post
If you're based in the US, retail for the 500ADAT will be $1199!

Ells
Get the fork out. Wow. This is good to know. I'll harass some Canadian shops about this!
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear
Wow!

This really looks awesome. I just recently got a 500 series rack, but what Cranborne have cooked up here is really sweet!

Edit - was thinking a bit more about this guy and it seems REALLY well thought out.

A question for the Cranborne guys - i've been looking at the ins/outs of both units and wanted to see if the following is possible (assuming you had both units)...

There is an Aux input on the 500ADAT, which makes me think it might be possible to have a sweet 16 channel summing setup (8 stereo stems) as follows...

1) Route first 4 stereo stems from DAW to the R8 1-8 sum these using whatever 500 modules you got...
2) Route next 4 stereo stems from DAW to the R8s ADAT output, send this to the 500ADAT input, sync with Word Clock, these stems now go to 500ADAT summing mixer with whatever modules you have on the expander rack...
3) Route Mix Output from R8 to Aux Input on the ADAT expander...
4) Mix the R8's stems with the ADAT expanders stems - blend Mix and Aux... (this is the part i'm not sure about just looking at pics!!!)
5) Route the ADAT expanders MIX output back to the DAW input of the R8 to print...or master recorder etc...

The snag in this would be if the Aux input of the ADAT expander can't be mixed with it's summing bus - is this kind of setup possible??

If it is I can see me selling a lot of my current setup and going Cranborne in a big way!!!!!

Additionally if this is possible between the R8 and the expander, then if you are at 44.1 / 48 in theory this could expand again to a 12 stem 24 track summing setup, as there would be a 2nd ADAT out that could be routed to a 2nd ADAT expander...

And this basic summing setup would be just scratching the surface!

Having the a 24+ channel interface with 500 series and ADAT outs in the same chassis is a genius move!

Last edited by gollumsluvslave; 2nd February 2018 at 08:46 PM..
Old 2nd February 2018
Quote:
80Hz HPF and currently 12dB/Oct but we're considering doing 18dB/Oct. Any thoughts on this? We like to get feedback so we get it right
I understand that a variable pot might be a push to get in but maybe a two way switch with the current 80 and maybe 150(?) as well? It would make it extra useable and easy to flick between them and see what is needed.

The whole idea looks like a great, simple mini-studio. Well done on the concept and on putting in the effort to bring your idea to fruition. So many great ideas never go beyond a scribble on the back of an envelope.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search