The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Retro Revolver!!!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveyard View Post
FWIW

YouTube

Music from 1:30

And, BUMP
Thanks a lot.
To me the Mixbuss sounds better without the Revolver in this example. You can see that the SC Filter is In, to me this brings up too much low end. Sounds a little bit muffled. Really would have liked to hear it without the SC Filter engaged. Would be interesting to hear if this box also can kind of clean up the low-end.
Drums/Vocals/Bass/Guitar sound nice, though. The overall sound seems great.
I'm getting a demo unit.
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Addict

Anyone got their hands on this yet?
Old 24th June 2018
Would love to her some reviews from any users, and... would really love to hear some samples if possible.
Old 25th June 2018
Lives for gear

Great review in SOS thus month.

Wiggy
Old 2nd July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Great review in SOS thus month.

Wiggy

Also in the most recent TapeOP.
Old 3rd July 2018
Gear Addict

Been rockin one here for the past few weeks.
Decided it was staying put after only a few days, very impressed
Attached Thumbnails
Retro Revolver!!!!-img.png  

Last edited by davehall6162; 3rd July 2018 at 02:08 PM..
Old 3rd July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162 View Post
Been rockin one here for the past few weeks.
Decided it was staying put after only a few days, very impressed
What have you done with it? Very curious for any experience. Any mix bus, vocals? Thanks.
Old 3rd July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
What have you done with it? Very curious for any experience. Any mix bus, vocals? Thanks.
Using it mainly on stereo sources, strings, keys, mixbuss etc...it handles those sources very well. Its got that retro tone which I love...not extremely colored of the bat like a STA level or 176, but can do color if you hit it hard which makes it even more flexible. Working the threshold and inputs is where the magic is on this...you need to spend a bit of time with that - a lot like the way the input knob on a Manley Vari Mu works in conjunction with the compression. I'm actually preferring it to the Vari Mu here at the moment.

Its good on vox/bass and single sources too, but its not really replacing any of my usual go-to boxes there... bluestripes/ la3a's, 4000 dynamics section etc...

So far I'm more impressed with what it can do as an overall tone box than its actual compression capabilities even though the compression is very cool, smooth and buttery. The circuit itself inside the unit is pretty simple but there's definitely some magic going on...especially if you hit it right.

Phil did a great job...again!!

Last edited by davehall6162; 3rd July 2018 at 11:17 PM..
Old 20th September 2018
Hey all,

Just want to attempt to resurrect this thread. In my current search for a vari mu buss comp to complement my Dramastic Obsidian, I was considering the Manley Vari Mu and the Phoenix, but when I heard the Revolver it seemed to have so much more life, motion, and character than either of the aforementioned. I have the Revolver in my studio now and will probably keep it. Main use will be mixbuss and mastering, but it will also complement my vintage modded Altec 436B for tracking.

How are you all liking this comp by now? Frankly, I’m surprised I’m not hearing/reading more about it.

Cheers,
MG
Old 24th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Hey all,

Just want to attempt to resurrect this thread. In my current search for a vari mu buss comp to complement my Dramastic Obsidian, I was considering the Manley Vari Mu and the Phoenix, but when I heard the Revolver it seemed to have so much more life, motion, and character than either of the aforementioned. I have the Revolver in my studio now and will probably keep it. Main use will be mixbuss and mastering, but it will also complement my vintage modded Altec 436B for tracking.

How are you all liking this comp by now? Frankly, I’m surprised I’m not hearing/reading more about it.

Cheers,
MG
I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about it including samples. If you ever have the time to post any A/B mix comparisons, or whatever that would be awesome. Enjoy.
Old 3rd October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about it including samples. If you ever have the time to post any A/B mix comparisons, or whatever that would be awesome. Enjoy.
I also would be interested in hearing comparisons, and also just anyone's experiences using the Retro Revolver, especially those who have also used a Manley Vari Mu. I am currently looking for a compressor to use on the mixbus in my home studio. Not having any experience with a hardware variable mu type compressor, but liking the general sound and behavior of that type of compression from using plugins that emulate it, and reading lots of opinions from users--I've been leaning heavily toward getting a Manley Vari Mu, which I think I would like. But now I'm wondering if the Retro Revolver might be a substitute that I would happy with, especially considering the price. I'd be grateful to hear the opinion of someone who has used both as to what are the differences in sound and character. The music I record is rockabilly, folk rock, country rock, classic rock.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear
I asked this in the other thread but realised it was probably the wrong place

Does this do the RS124 thing where the
top end glows the more you compress?
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagefields View Post
I also would be interested in hearing comparisons, and also just anyone's experiences using the Retro Revolver, especially those who have also used a Manley Vari Mu. I am currently looking for a compressor to use on the mixbus in my home studio.... I'm wondering if the Retro Revolver might be a substitute that I would happy with, especially considering the price. I'd be grateful to hear the opinion of someone who has used both as to what are the differences in sound and character.
Same here! It would nice to have some feedbacks from those who compared it to a Vari Mu. Even if they are two differents things, what are the majors differences in sound and color? Does the Revolver bring the 3D and the "finished" of the Manley? Is it less colorful or more? Can it work on coloring the mix with minimal gain reduction ?
It would be nice to hear you!
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Maniac

Bump!
Old 21st February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagefields View Post
I also would be interested in hearing comparisons, and also just anyone's experiences using the Retro Revolver, especially those who have also used a Manley Vari Mu. I am currently looking for a compressor to use on the mixbus in my home studio. Not having any experience with a hardware variable mu type compressor, but liking the general sound and behavior of that type of compression from using plugins that emulate it, and reading lots of opinions from users--I've been leaning heavily toward getting a Manley Vari Mu, which I think I would like. But now I'm wondering if the Retro Revolver might be a substitute that I would happy with, especially considering the price. I'd be grateful to hear the opinion of someone who has used both as to what are the differences in sound and character. The music I record is rockabilly, folk rock, country rock, classic rock.
Same here...bump!
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
...Does this do the RS124 thing where the
top end glows the more you compress?
Unfortunately I still have not hear any of these two compressors (Retro Revolver or Chandler RS124), but based on Vintage King Revolver's review (YouTube) it definitely adds some gentle top end presence even on very gentle compression settings (drums and vocal is good example).

Last edited by Mr. Bars; 21st February 2019 at 07:35 PM..
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

Hello,

Even more colored than Thermionic Phoenix ?
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Nut

Bump to hear thoughts on any users

EDIT: I have one coming in the mail I will update once I get my hands on it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ok ive had this unit for a couple days now and im floored. I dont know what to say it just sounds really REALLY good on EVERYTHING. Im a small project studio and I got an overstayer modular channel a couple days ago as well and have been using them together with the Revolver on the insert and im blown away.

Obviously on drums and vocals it rules but where im so shocked I plugged a guitar into the DI of the overstayer and driving that into the revolver gives me a very amp like tone. I run a goodsell 17 amp so there is a high bar to reach and honestly it was so good I considered selling my amp LOL. The bass tone from overstayer to retro is literally the best tone ive ever got on bass. That simple.

The main thing here is I can push the meters to around 10db of reduction and not really "hear" the compression. It definately adds some color and adds to the signal but you dont get that flattened out compression sound. Its honestly amazing.

This is the first "high end" compressor I have owned and again im floored... Ive had distressors and la2a clones which I guess are high end but they dont even compare IMO. Maybe its just vari mu compression I dig? This is my first vari mu.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search