The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient Announces New Audio Interface: iD44 Audio Interfaces
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Imp View Post
summing up, from Audient Facebook page:

PREAMP - CONVERTERS

Q "More off Same preamp and converter as id22 or better? Loved the ones in id22 but would never say no to upgrades"

A "Same Audient console preamps as with all of our other products, but with new and improved converters! Full specs will be released in the near future!"

Q "I wonder if there are any electronic or sonic differences from the 44 and the 22? I really don't need the newest features of the 44, so I would rather get the reduced price 22. Sonically are they identical?"

A "Both use the Audient mic preamp so that will be the same. The converters on iD44 are different so sonically there will be a slight difference there. The paper specs for iD44 are looking to be an improvement over iD22 so that is something to factor in when making your decision, however we still think that iD22 sounds great and would make a great addition to any studio. It just depends on what you need!"

A "The Converters on the iD44 aren't Burr Browns as you mentioned. After a lot of late nights here in office conducting listening tests, we found a great combo of other converters which sound great and improve on the sound of iD22. We haven't released specs yet as we are just making the last little tweaks to get as much performance as possible from them but as soon as we're happy with both the specs and the sound of the iD44, we'll get the spec's posted up."

RELEASE

Q "when will it be available ?"

A "Its expected to ship in the first quarter of 2018, we will announce specific dates nearer the time!"

HW FEATURES

Q "Does it have standalone mode? Can I use it without a daw?"

A "It will do yes! You just need to run the iD Mixer on a computer and get it all set up the way you want, then you can save the settings to the unit. Then whenever you turn it on, even without a DAW/computer, it will default to those settings!"

Q "Are The two DI Inputs additional to The 4 mic pres or do I have to decide?"

A "The DI inputs come in on channels 1+2, and will take priority over whatever is plugged into the mic preamp on the rear panel."

Q "Will scroll control come to the iD22?"

A "ScrollControl relies on having a certain type of knob which iD22 doesn't have, where iD4, iD14 and iD44 do. So unfortunately it isn't just a software upgrade job. We haven't forgotten about iD22 though, we hope to have the new iD mixer software (and features) available on iD22 down the line!"

Q "Thunderboalt? USB C?"

A "We felt that making it USB 3 would only reduce the number of people who get to use it as not everyone has USB 3 ports yet, and USB 2 has more than enough bandwidth for the maximum channel count that iD44 can support, so USB 3 doesn't really offer any benefit. It also ships with a USB C to type A cable meaning it can be used in standard USB ports for those without USB C connections on their computer "

SOFTWARE - DRIVERS - LATENCY

Q "Will the driver update also include id22 etc?"

A "iD22 and iD14 will both get the new iD mixer software and the features that come with it (where applicable)! You should also see a boost in low latency performance too!"

Q "Are the RTL numbers any better than the 22 or 14? Also, how is ASIO performance under heavy VSTi/fx load compared to RME?"

A "We are expecting improved performance compared to current iD22 and iD14 after a major driver update. This driver update will also be made available to iD22 and iD14 so the improved performance should be visible there too! We will be releasing full tech specs including latency figures at some point soon before iD44 ships."

A "ID44 will ship with new and improved drivers which will offer better low latency performance compared to the current drivers on our other interfaces. This performance boost will also be rolled out to our existing interfaces!"

Q "Will you redesign the software for the other ID‘s as well?"

A "iD14 and iD22 will both be updated to the new iD mixer software in the future and so will also benefit from some of the new features such as improved Talkback Functionality (and you should see an improvement in low latency performance too!)"

Q "Will it be only available for Windows 10 as mentionned in your website or also for Windows 7?"

A "Hi Laurent, it will be available for Windows 7 and later"

Q "What's the round trip latency when tracking through amp sims?"

A "Hey David, Latency figures and full specs will be released at some point in the future. However we are expecting an improvement in latency figures over our current interface range and drivers."
If it isn't too late......for the love of GOD, include a MIDI interface!

I also have a question....I currently use an ID22 daisy chained to an ID14, for what amounts to an ID44........I would like to know this:

How many Audient interfaces can one ADAT together?

For instance, could I link up 2 ID22's and one ID44? An ID44 an ID22 and an ID14?

What are the limits in this regard? (BTW would have much preferred 4 I/O ALL with inserts, it's one of the big selling points if not THE biggest, not expanding it over the 22 and not adding a MIDI bus may cost you some sales)
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
That's almost impossible to answer because everyone has different needs and expectations for what a Recording Interface should be in order to be PERFECT for them. Everyone's use case scenario is different. Some may not even need mic preamps and only need line inputs or D.I./Instrument inputs. Some want Built-in DSP/Plug-In's, some don't. Etc, etc...

In my long post I pretty much laid out what would be "perfect" FOR ME, or at least what would make the iD44 a worthwhile purchase for my use case scenario.

In general, all USB/Thunderbolt/FireWire interfaces are basically a compromise all the way around compared to the individual, task-specific conglomeration of gear used in a traditional professional recording studio. These all-in-one interface boxes give us an affordable way to have the basic components of a studio that is also portable and with just enough I/O and features to "get the job done".

At the moment, there is no "perfect" audio interface that ticks every box for me. It's a game of tradeoffs or compromises in one way or another. I'd really like something similar to the Antelope Audio Zen Studio+, but with all tactile hardware controls like the iD22/44. Or the AudioFuse with its comprehensive I/O and hardware knobs/buttons, but a bit higher build quality AND in a slightly larger form factor with 4 or more mic pre/line inputs ALL with sends & returns. BUT I'd also want the rock-solid performance and DRIVERS of the RME units. I'd be willing to spend up to ~$2500 and maybe a bit more for my "dream" interface.

I'd also REALLY like to see an outboard 8-Channel Mic Preamp/ADC/DAC such as the Audient ASP-880 but with the newer converters. AND using SUMX, ThunderBolt 3, CAT5/6E, or some other connectivity that would allow all 8 channels @ 24/176-192, and with Mic Pre's that have at least 10dB more CLEAN gain. I'm using the amazing AEA RPQ2 but only have one at the moment (2 channels). I also have and love the Millennia HV-3D-8, but it's a beast and I don't have the converter card.

I'm actually looking into the Sound Devices MixPre-10M/10T as my capture device and interface. All of my tracks would be imported to a DAW anyway, and I do a lot of remote or location recording, so it might make more sense for me. They have a fairly well-sorted iPad app to use as a remote "control surface". My main reservation is that the Line Inputs are not routed directly to the ADCs, but still go through some of the Kashmir mic preamp circuitry and other gain stages. I have some really good outboard mic preamps that I want to be able to use without compromising their inherent properties.

To be fair, the iD4 has some compromises in the circuit design/internal component quality compared to the iD22 in order to meet the price point. And really good headphone amps are afterthoughts on most of these "consumer affordable" interfaces.

I'm guessing some of the newer AKM chips. But all that has been revealed so far by Audient is that the iD44 is using two different chips for the ADC and the DAC sections.

A LOT of interface manufacturers just quote the performance specs for the actual ADC/DAC chips that were provided by the OEM converter manufacturer. Those numbers don't reflect the real-world performance or final specs of the interface after all of the associated circuitry that's in front of and behind the converter chip are taken into account!
A Guy compared it to Hilo and apart from the headphone the dac its not compromise its hold on its own I like the size for my packed place.But I ve worked on symphony and duet and everything sounds inferior which is normal symphony its different class.Audient id 4 has clean sound it don't color as the apogee but its not as detailed which is not bad. .I end ep tweaking way too much mixes with mastering grade converters to a point they become very overcook.On.mastering.grade every mix sux hehe.
The new one just have impressive dac numbers u always feel the difference its 14 db the difference with id 22 its minimal but with id 44 will be audible
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

i hope audient make new better driver for windows, i'm audient id14 user and i think asio driver better than audient driver for latency..
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Addict

The official tech specs are here and seem to be finalized:
Tech Specs - Audient

So far, I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing! I don't think any other 4 mic/line-in interface is beating this right now. For the price, it definitely seems better than some more expensive offerings.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
The official tech specs are here and seem to be finalized:
Tech Specs - Audient

So far, I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing! I don't think any other 4 mic/line-in interface is beating this right now. For the price, it definitely seems better than some more expensive offerings.
18 dB of headroom (-18 dBFS converter reference level)

121dB A-weighted dynamic range.

3.2ms of roundtrip latency at 96 kHz. Not too shabby!

The only spec I am curious about is 96 dB signal to noise ratio for the mic preamp. Is that with the gain knob all the way counterclockwise or maxed out with nothing plugged in? Or is that spec measured some other way?

As long as the drivers are stable at 32 samples then it will be a hit!
Old 16th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
18 dB of headroom (-18 dBFS converter reference level)

121dB A-weighted dynamic range.

3.2ms of roundtrip latency at 96 kHz. Not too shabby!

The only spec I am curious about is 96 dB signal to noise ratio for the mic preamp. Is that with the gain knob all the way counterclockwise or maxed out with nothing plugged in? Or is that spec measured some other way?

As long as the drivers are stable at 32 samples then it will be a hit!
Guessing from iD22 ("same preamps") that is all the way down.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

DI max input lvl: +10dBu

Is there some pad switch or something? +10dBu is not good at all.
Old 17th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
DI max input lvl: +10dBu

Is there some pad switch or something? +10dBu is not good at all.
Why? What puts out a DI signal anywhere close to +10 dBu?
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Any high-output guitar humbucker will peak over that number easily and the signal will clip. Unless there is a pad, of course.
Old 17th April 2018
Might as well plug it into the line in at that point. I'm no expert. All my guitars are Fenders and only one has a humbucker. It's not that loud.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
Might as well plug it into the line in at that point. I'm no expert. All my guitars are Fenders and only one has a humbucker. It's not that loud.
Line in is a different beast. The result will be far from optimal.

Well, very sad. I had high hopes for 44. Focusrite was bashed for low max. DI input levels and they eventually made them acceptable (+13). Here we have a very cool new product with +10. Sad panda.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any high-output guitar humbucker will peak over that number easily and the signal will clip. Unless there is a pad, of course.
There is a pad...I'm not sure if it affects the DI signal though.

If humbuckers are a problem I would recommend guitars with volume knobs.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here we have a very cool new product with +10. Sad panda.
iD22 DI is +16dBu (typical), +22dBu

So something doesn't seem right!
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head
Regarding the published SPECS...not much matters until you have the actual unit in-hand and can test performance in the real world hooked up in YOUR specific setup.

There are a lot of variables that can affect performance....your particular computer and what other devices/software it is using concurrently, the overall tracking/mixing channel count, the # of plug-ins that are running, and/or # of V.I.'s that are running.

The iD44 really does look to provide fantastic bang for your buck over most of its competitors! It just doesn't seem to be really significant or entirely compelling for a lot of users looking to upgrade from the iD22...at least in my opinion. I guess that the upgraded converters and 2 more input channels will satisfy most users.

I really do hope that Audient is working on a iD88 "PRO" that will check all of the boxes (see my previous posts) and really push the performance bounderies, even if its price has to reflect that. As it is, I'm afraid I'll be giving the iD44 a pass even though the price is really compelling. It was so close, and yet so far from what I was hoping for, but you can't please everyone.

What I'd really like to see (I think) is something like the Antelope Zen Studio+, but with an Optional physical "Control Surface". Something like this one for the Zoom F8:

Is there a Gearslutz Poll yet for "Submit the Desired Features & I/O for YOUR Perfect Recording Interface"?
Old 18th April 2018
Anyone know if this will work with iOS? Trying to get something as high-end as possible for iPad Pro recording. So far the main contenders are Apogee Quartet and the new Steinberg UR-RT4 when it comes out... Also the Roland Rubix 44 and of course the Behringer XR18, although both are suspiciously inexpensive. RME Babyface looks great, but it sucks IMO when compared to some of the other interfaces in its price range (there are a couple of decent shoot-outs on YouTube).
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by matvey View Post
Anyone know if this will work with iOS? Trying to get something as high-end as possible for iPad Pro recording. So far the main contenders are Apogee Quartet and the new Steinberg UR-RT4 when it comes out... Also the Roland Rubix 44 and of course the Behringer XR18, although both are suspiciously inexpensive. RME Babyface looks great, but it sucks IMO when compared to some of the other interfaces in its price range (there are a couple of decent shoot-outs on YouTube).
I believe that the iD44 is USB 2.0 Class Compliant, so it should work. However, the I/O and control of it may be limited unless Audient provide a specific "iD Mixer" app for iOS.

Audient guys, are there any updates or news on when this will be released, along with the new iD Mixer & new USB Drivers???

This thread was started over 3 months ago now. And NEW drivers SHOULD have been provided for the iD22 and iD14 a LONG time ago, way before the announcement of a new interface. That's a big part of why I am VERY hesitant to consider another Audient product.
Old 29th April 2018
Here for the gear

So have these started shipping yet ?
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
This thread was started over 3 months ago now. And NEW drivers SHOULD have been provided for the iD22 and iD14 a LONG time ago, way before the announcement of a new interface. That's a big part of why I am VERY hesitant to consider another Audient product.
I can't understand WHY it should be that way.
First they designed the hw of a new product. THEN, after they had been sure it works with the old drivers, they started developing new ones.
This is reasonable and it's the common way to procede.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Old 6th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Almost the perfect interface. I'd need a few more line outs, and 192khz tho... Sigh

Guess it's the Discrete 4 for me.
That’s exactly what I said. I could even do 6 outs but 4? Nah.
Old 10th May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysoncreely View Post
That’s exactly what I said. I could even do 6 outs but 4? Nah.
I'm fairly certain that their ultimate goal was probably sticking to a market research-driven price point, while including as much as they possibly could. And this makes sense when you take into consideration that the iD14 is their best selling product, by a wide margin. They historically have always been a "quality for good value" company. But some of their decisions with the iD44 have me scratching my head, irregardless of the competition, and even more so when considering the competition.

Perhaps I'm fooling myself and I just think that I am "their type of customer", but in reality I'm not. I'm one of those that likes a good deal as much as the next person, but is ultimately willing to pay more for those Extra, ToTL, End-Game, "they thought of everything...AND...it ALL WORKS!" features. As much as I wanted this to be ''THE One'', this unit just does not do what I need it to (for my use case scenario).

Sure, in many ways it WILL BE a fantastic Audio Interface for a lot of people (at least it looks to be until further, real-world testing is completed). And, yes, it is a pretty fantastic price for what you get. I think they actually got a lot of things right. BUT in some KEY areas they just missed the mark, IMO (details stated in my previous posts).

Competition in this space has been fierce for quite a while, and there are a plethora of options out there, which is great for us, but really challenging for a manufacturer! Obviously, there is no PERFECT interface. There will always be some function, I/O, or feature compromises.

I'm pretty confident that the quality will be there on the iD44. At least I've been fairly happy with the quality of the iD22 hardware for its price point, other than a few small niggles. And they've had plenty of time to R&D a newer/better quality product seeing how long the iD22 has been in the market (2013).

But given all of the features that the iD44 includes, can the circuit design and component quality truly be *that good* when we're talking about a $699 price point? It seems just a bit too affordable to be a "discrete-quality" device. IDK? And does it matter? I'm sure that for many folks, "good enough" is errr...good enough, and that's fine. That's just not me, haha.

Again, I think that these types of products are becoming more & more about meeting a marketing-driven price point, and forcing the engineers to design within those limitations, as opposed to giving customers and End-Game or fully-comprehensive product at a more expensive, but "reasonable for what you get" price.

On the flip side, I realize that any company would be foolish to completely disregard the factors that determine their ROI and the future health and growth of the company. However, Audient and similar companies must realize that their customers are becoming much more educated and knowledgeable regarding these devices and what they really need in order to get the job done properly.

But ultimately, here's my Main Sticking Point... and it is in no way exclusive to Audient...just sayin':

I REALLY would have liked Audient to have provided this Improved, Low-Latency Driver & Software Update A LONG TIME AGO for its CURRENT interfaces. The latency issues notwithstanding, IME the current software and drivers still have some bugs and can be flaky at times (I've had the iD22 since it was released).

If Rock-Solid Drivers and Software would have been updated and refined in a more timely manner, it would have given current users of their audio interfaces (in addition to potential future customers) WAY More confidence when considering future hardware purchases and upgrades!!!

If Audient is able to come through with these promised New/Improved/Stable Drivers & Software, I'm sure that the iD44 will have much success (providing the hardware is solid as well).

But if the new drivers and software are not rock-solid out of the gate, and/or if they dilly-dally about getting quick bug fixes and solutions to their users, (you can fill in the blank)! Let's remember that the iD22 has been out nearly 5 years now, AND that there are a lot of options available from other manufacturers. No pressure!

I'll be interested to see if these actually make it into the public's hands by the first week of June. Ultimately, I think it would be better to hold back the product to ensure that the drivers and software are rock-solid. Hopefully we'll know very soon and it will be the "cat's meow" for everyone who is anticipating this new interface.

/Negative Nancy signing out!
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear
Audient seem to take pride in their products, they've always given me support when I needed it, and their interfaces sound better than anything under $3000

This isn't Elektron, who try and turn customers into unpaid beta testers for a product the know is crap,

Audient and Novation have always done right by me (Maybe it's an English thing? But that make no sense, I'm Irish) anyway, I'll keep up with their product until they give me a reason not to.

With all the shady music tech companies out there today, I'm happy to support two that have proved themselves to me
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Nut

Hmmm. Audient is historically pretty active and responsive within this forum. Their silence is deafening on this. What gives?
Is early June the shipping ETA?

To agree with some others, I'd rather sacrifice one of the two digital i/o in favor of just one more analog i/o. Oh well. Cant please everyone.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01930 View Post
Hmmm. Audient is historically pretty active and responsive within this forum. Their silence is deafening on this. What gives?
Is early June the shipping ETA?

To agree with some others, I'd rather sacrifice one of the two digital i/o in favor of just one more analog i/o. Oh well. Cant please everyone.
Probably getting those drivers to be rock solid.
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Head

Hey Brother VenVile! It's been awhile, but it hope all is well with you and yours.

Regarding the Antelope Audio Discrete 4, I heard that the plugins it comes with can only be used when tracking. Is that true?
Old 19th May 2018
Can the iD44 Scroll Control be used to directly control automation in Pro Tools 2018 for Windows?
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Can the iD44 Scroll Control be used to directly control automation in Pro Tools 2018 for Windows?
I suppose, it will have the same functionality as at iD14 for example. So the answer is no.
It basically behaves as standard scroll wheel from your mouse. So you can use actual mouse or touchpad to set the cursor position and then use the knob to send scroll events. It is not classical controller, but it works with every application, which can receive scroll events.. so even web browser or some plugins, which can be controlled by mouse wheel will be working with the knob.
However PT doesn't support fader adjustments from mouse wheel, so it's not applicable there.. most plugins do, but experience there could be also mixed, because particular value step is fully controlled by plugin and this differs among vendors, so sometimes it can be completely worthless.

Unfortunately you'll need some real DAW controller for fader rides.. even if scroll will be working, it would be so cumbersome compared to something like ArtistMix, MCU or Faderport that it doesn't make much sense IMO.

Michal
Old 19th May 2018
Great insight, thanks Michal.
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by titetrax View Post
Hey Brother VenVile! It's been awhile, but it hope all is well with you and yours.

Regarding the Antelope Audio Discrete 4, I heard that the plugins it comes with can only be used when tracking. Is that true?
Hey titetrax! Yes, it really has been a while. But yes, things are going well. I'm in process of building a new rig and I'm going with the Audient iD44, when it's released (once it's stable and the reviews are good).

And yes, the plugins that come with Discrete 4/8 can only be used for tracking, and not in the DAW. However, Antelope Audio is releasing a plugin wrapper that will allow you to use their plugins in any DAW, but it comes with an additional price. I'm not sure what the cost of it is, but I know it's a bit steep. There's a dedicated Discrete 4 thread here that I was paying close attention to in the earlies, but I stopped when Audient announced the iD44 lol.

I hope things are well with you too.
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Hey titetrax! Yes, it really has been a while. But yes, things are going well. I'm in process of building a new rig and I'm going with the Audient iD44, when it's released (once it's stable and the reviews are good).

And yes, the plugins that come with Discrete 4/8 can only be used for tracking, and not in the DAW. However, Antelope Audio is releasing a plugin wrapper that will allow you to use their plugins in any DAW, but it comes with an additional price. I'm not sure what the cost of it is, but I know it's a bit steep. There's a dedicated Discrete 4 thread here that I was paying close attention to in the earlies, but I stopped when Audient announced the iD44 lol.

I hope things are well with you too.
I'm well too and thanks for asking! Thanx for the info about the Discrete 4/8!!

What processor are you using in your new build? MOBO? RAM?

Do you do direct monitor recording using a mixer? I'm very curious about this and would like any advice you may have as I'm seriously considering getting a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer for this very purpose.

Yeah, I'm drooling over the iD44 TOO!! Let's BOTH pray that they SIGNIFICANTLY improve the drivers to the level of RME's drivers!

Last edited by titetrax; 22nd May 2018 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: Forgot to say something
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search