The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Ships Arrow Desktop Audio Interface For Music Creators Audio Interfaces
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Just thunderbolt? Not for me.

Like the music industry saying goes "not USB ? Not interested"
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Thats's fine. But you really want to explore and listen your actual recordings?!?
It sounds like the very early of 16-bit sound card recordings.

How in the world would this be a step forward in rec. tech.? It sounds very bad, MP3 bad

I like the Thunderbolt interf. though.
I'm back in the control room to listen on good speakers. The mix wasn't as horrendous as you made it out to be. A bit too harsh, the bass guitar and piano could have cut through more (among other tweaks) and a vocal would have been nice. But it wasn't the disaster I was expecting to hear.

Now, since we're in marketing critique mode please remove the broken videos from your site: LINDELL AUDIO

Also, more videos demonstrating your products and less talking about them. Perhaps the broken video links were those samples?
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqtion View Post
Anyone know the specs of converters?
Is it on par with the Twin mk2?
UA can you provide this info?
Doubly gobsmacked that there are still people deliberating over converter quality in 2018.

Mate, I'll tell you how good the converters in the Arrow are: they are good enough that if you had even 1/10th the skill of the musicians/producers you admire and who's tracks you love, you would be able to produce a track worthy of selling 1 million copies..if it were a good track.

Think of your favourite tune - I can assure you that you would not love it any less if it were recorded/mixed using converters from 2003 or onto a wax cylinder.

If the feature set of the Arrow suits you..buy it..if not, pick something else that suits.

Go and study your craft..become a better songwriter/producer/whatever..analyze popular songs..listen to them over and over and learn what makes people respond favourably to certain chord progressions/hooks/lyrics/beats/effects etc etc - this is where the magic lies.

Have you ever heard anyone say: “man, I heard this great song on the radio today - the soundstage was open, detailed and wide..”

?

Last edited by auxReturn; 18th January 2018 at 02:44 AM..
Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxReturn View Post
...Have you ever heard anyone say: “man, I heard this great song on the radio today - the soundstage was open, detailed and wide..”

?
Perhaps they are unable to articulate why they like the song but the open, detailed and wide soundstage was the factor that led to their decision?

Re: converter quality: still a valid question in 2018 given the audible differences between converters.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Perhaps they are unable to articulate why they like the song but the open, detailed and wide soundstage was the factor that led to their decision?

Re: converter quality: still a valid question in 2018 given the audible differences between converters.

Congratulations Mr Stone - you have now been shortlisted for employment in the role of Head of Marketing at the ACME Audio Interface Company...
Old 18th January 2018
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post

* Mr Stone, further to our recent email regarding your employment, please be advised we are in the process of changing our name to reflect the values of our company. Our new name will be: The 'You Gotta Believe It To Hear It' Audio Interface Company.
Old 18th January 2018
auxReturn, what are your recording credits? Just out of curiosity.

I have no idea what xqtion’s are but I know that I would care about the quality of any product I were interested in, so it seems perfectly valid to me for them to ask, especially given that the headline feature of the Twin MkII was improved conversion. This is gearslutz not ifitaintbrokeslutz after-all.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Nut

Looks like I'm be ditching the old Duet 2 for my travel bag. Underpowered SHARC or not, bus powered TB3 is enticing...
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

I'm a little underwhelmed by this release, but admittedly it's not marketed towards me. On the other hand, it would have made this product even more enticing if it worked with an iPad.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Nut

yeah me too... not meant for me... wish for more ins/outs and spdif - looks like antelope for me now... or presonus
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Nut

or perhaps a surprise announcement at NAMM from Apogee or another?
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
I like the design but I'm confused what its trying to beat they already do ...

I've only briefly looked at it, but to me, it's obvious........ bring in new users..... get em hooked...........

.... and when the user runs out of power to run the uad plugs the user increasingly wants to buy..... the user ditches this interface and buys into the higher-priced uad stuff.

My impression on first glance.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

real world, how many UAD plugin could you run on this little beast !!! ie: say you run 2 channels of Unison Pres / Comps for tracking - So, like two channel strips .. could this work ?? that would be a nice little tracking box to have ..

if anyone would lie to speculate, and how long could you run this box on a laptop without having to plug in / charge up ?? running 48v phantom would most likely draw more juice from the Laptop ..
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I've only briefly looked at it, but to me, it's obvious........ bring in new users..... get em hooked...........

.... and when the user runs out of power to run the uad plugs the user increasingly wants to buy..... the user ditches this interface and buys into the higher-priced uad stuff.

My impression on first glance.
yeah but if you look what your missing compared to the apollo twin its quite alot your giving away for the money.

i think uad would have been better off releasing this at £250 and just few plugins and give the user a voucher too reddem against 1 more plugin of there choice.
if they do decide to upgrade because the solo chip is no longer enough (like i found out ..the newer plugins hammer the dsp so you need to buy more powerful uad systems just to run newer plugins ive bought)
then once you upgrade you feel cheated because they give you the same bundle you got with the first product you bought..

a solo dsp is not going to last them too minutes especially when they try and load up the marshall and other unison plugins that card will die a death before theyve even plugged in a guitar.they will constantly need to render then record then render which is exactlly what i had to do with my solo pci card until i bought a apollo twin duo but even on the duo i can see the dsp meter max out with very few plugins loaded.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah but if you look what your missing compared to the apollo twin its quite alot your giving away for the money.
In my mind, a bus-powered interface is always more of an impulse buy for more of the masses than something requiring a wall wart. So that leaves the Apollo out.

Last edited by thenoodle; 18th January 2018 at 09:59 PM..
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
In my mind, a bus-powered interface is always more of an impulse buy for more of the masses than something requiring a wall wart. So that leaves the Apollo out.
Now that's just silly. I love being able to throw my babyface headphones and laptop in a bag and get to editing on the go.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I called UAD today to ask about the RTL. The guy said it's 1.52 MS on Windows. But.... I don't think he knew exactly what he was talking about.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallon426 View Post
I called UAD today to ask about the RTL. The guy said it's 1.52 MS on Windows. But.... I don't think he knew exactly what he was talking about.
This is really what i want to know.
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

i think uad would have been better off releasing this at £250 and just few plugins and give the user a voucher too reddem against 1 more plugin of there choice.
if they do decide to upgrade because the solo chip is no longer enough (like i found out ..the newer plugins hammer the dsp so you need to buy more powerful uad systems just to run newer plugins ive bought)
then once you upgrade you feel cheated because they give you the same bundle you got with the first product you bought..

a solo dsp is not going to last them too minutes especially when they try and load up the marshall and other unison plugins that card will die a death before theyve even plugged in a guitar.they will constantly need to render then record then render which is exactlly what i had to do with my solo pci card until i bought a apollo twin duo but even on the duo i can see the dsp meter max out with very few plugins loaded.
...so then you get a satellite for mixing. This is not meant to be a mixing box but basically just a UAd tracker. I have a Twin and only purchase tracking plugins, personally. All of my mixing plugs are native, as I have a 6 core 4.2gHz processor and would never want to deal with UAD for mixing. But for tracking, the unison pres and LA-2A are really nice. You don't HAVE to mix with UAD. I see my twin mostly as a modern liquid pre type interface - for that it's amazing. I wish I saved money and got the solo twin.
Old 19th January 2018
Personally, I'm really excited over this due to Universal Audio taking advantage of the Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C support we added to Windows 10.

Pete
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Personally, I'm really excited over this due to Universal Audio taking advantage of the Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C support we added to Windows 10.

Pete
Hi Pete,
I remember how we used to give you grief for the lack of Thunderbolt OS-level support on Windows.

There comes a time when it is both necessary and advantageous to upgrade the computer. We are probably a year away from seeing Thunderbolt Tech integrated on Intel CPUs. With 3rd party support we might see Thunderbolt paired with AMD CPUs

I hope to see more Thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces. My only complain is they should really have interfaces with dual USB-C ports.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Those commenting on the YouTube compression - why is it that the plethora of other demos of audio products on YouTube don't necessarily sound terrible? Something else must be the culprit.

Haven't had a chance to listen as I'm not in the studio so can't directly comment on the sound myself.
Common sense 101 , thank you
Old 19th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
Common sense 101 , thank you
Common sense also dictates that there is a plethora of reasons why the video sounds like it does without the Arrow being the reason for it.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
auxReturn, what are your recording credits? Just out of curiosity.
I have no recording credits to speak of.

Must be 'cos of that damn first-generation MOTU 828 in my studio..

Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
Hi Pete,
I remember how we used to give you grief for the lack of Thunderbolt OS-level support on Windows.
oh those were the days. if only we could have those days back again.
I really miss those days.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyquistFrequency View Post
Common sense also dictates that there is a plethora of reasons why the video sounds like it does without the Arrow being the reason for it.
!!!!... what !! who said it was the Arrow ??!! It's just a bad audio example !! ...
Old 19th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
!!!!... what !! who said it was the Arrow ??!! It's just a bad audio example !! ...
Maybe i misinterpreted that but to me it seemed like some people here were saying or at least implying that the Arrow has lower quality converters because of a YouTube video. (I don't mean you specifically.)
Which stood out to me because i personally think - YouTubes decent quality nowadays aside - that people only should judge gear they actually had their hands on/heard in person.

But as i said, maybe i'm totally mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time....
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Use case for me: portability. That's it.

It will be perfect for when I want to move around the house or outside for some quick sequencing, drum programming, maybe laying down a track, touch up via headphone mix. Love that it is bus powered. I have an Apollo Quad in the studio for heavy lifting. Nice compliment, the quality will be fine, I'm quite sure.

Yeah ok "it's a big dongle", "the conversion must suck because it sounded that way from the YouTube VOD". Heard it in a real world setting? "Nope, but I just know it sucks". GSBS.

Other folks can hate it, crap on it. Doesn't matter. I'm in.
Cdlt
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
Use case for me: portability. That's it.

It will be perfect for when I want to move around the house or outside for some quick sequencing, drum programming, maybe laying down a track,
But that can be done with 325 other brands/models of bus-powered interfaces between the prices of $100-$1000.

What would pull you to an Arrow for drum programming around the house?

Just curious.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search