The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Ships Arrow Desktop Audio Interface For Music Creators Audio Interfaces
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Guru

wow.made a 47 sound like a cheap hashy chinese mic.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

I am not really interested in a lower end unit like this (not enough dsp) and they must have cut corners on conversion etc... but... It tells us that UA are definitely in the upgrade game towards Thunderbolt 3 so I expect more in this line soon.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Seems to be very similar to the Twin Solo, minus the talkback mic, extra line outputs, and ADAT + S/PDIF inputs. I’m a little confused, too, but it doesn’t seem like it could hurt any current UA users.
Old 17th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
It won't support TB2 because of the bus power. USB-C PD offers more power than TB2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
so this is ONLY Buss Powered if using TB3 ?? trying to find out if it would work with TB2 .. anyone know this ??
Here's the UAD response.

TLDR: works with TB 1 and 2 but needs a TB-USBC adapter and a powered TB3 dock. Which defeats the purpose of relatively low cost/portability. It's definitely geared towards the latest Macs and recent PCs since it supports W10.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
I like the design but I'm confused what its trying to beat they already do the brilliant Apollo twin series and this is priced nearly same as the Apollo twin solo.
Also I wish they'd make more USB products instead of focusing totally on thunderbolt/mac users .
Yeah, it does seem like they're in a race to the bottom with themselves. What's next...a $99 Apollo Mini?
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krubbadoo View Post
I am not really interested in a lower end unit like this (not enough dsp) and they must have cut corners on conversion etc... but... It tells us that UA are definitely in the upgrade game towards Thunderbolt 3 so I expect more in this line soon.
yea i knew something was up ..that's why they are blowing out the satellites ..giving them away, i think they will make there hole new line with thunder3 ports..
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Addict

Anyone know the specs of converters?
Is it on par with the Twin mk2?
UA can you provide this info?
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
yea i knew something was up ..that's why they are blowing out the satellites ..giving them away, i think they will make there hole new line with thunder3 ports..
This is not even remotely true.

UA has been doing the giveaway of Satellites for years. It's part of their Oct/Nov deal every year, and sometimes added into their Christmas deal.

The Satellite "Giveaways" are just enticements to purchase larger systems - it's definitely not a hint at a big change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqtion View Post
Anyone know the specs of converters?
Is it on par with the Twin mk2?
UA can you provide this info?
Specs on Arrow's converters etc. will be on the UA website tomorrow.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I'm gobsmacked to see that there are people using Gearslutz (who supposedly have some grasp of audio engineering and technology...and some of whom have made thousands of posts) who actually think it's the unit itself yielding such average sound quality, as opposed to YouTube compression .

Unbelievable.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxReturn View Post
I'm gobsmacked to see that there are people using Gearslutz (who supposedly have some grasp of audio engineering and technology...and some of whom have made thousands of posts) who actually think it's the unit itself yielding such average sound quality, as opposed to YouTube compression .

Unbelievable.

well I'd imagine the thing sounds just fine and I'm sure at some point Ill hear it under better [in person] circumstances.
its the choices and execution of that particular demo that don't do the unit justice.[sh*te youtube encoding a given]doesn't sound real great.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Unbelievable.
Thank you!!!!

There was nothing wrong I could hear with the sound of the recording. I don't see how some people don't expect youtube's compression to degrade the signal.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymaya View Post
Yeah, it does seem like they're in a race to the bottom with themselves. What's next...a $99 Apollo Mini?
I'm surprised they've not released a very stripped down interface with only one input instead of two and not as many included plugins.what I'd rather uad would do instead of including the same bundle of plugins with each interface is give people a version of each interface without the bundle and at a cheaper price.i own s uad pci card and an Apollo twin and both came with same bundle give or take a few extras I got on promotions but I would rather they sell a version a few hundred pounds cheaper instead of paying for something ive already got.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Those commenting on the YouTube compression - why is it that the plethora of other demos of audio products on YouTube don't necessarily sound terrible? Something else must be the culprit.

Haven't had a chance to listen as I'm not in the studio so can't directly comment on the sound myself.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

I wish UA would let buyers pick a couple of whichever plugins instead of including a bunch of stuff that clearly doesn't sound as interesting as the mk2 versions, though.
Old 17th January 2018
Here for the gear

Seems like it missing another Thunderbolt (USB-C) port for chaining.

If you're gonna promote USB-C as something awesome than make it awesome.

Why didn't they go further and created an breakout box to go with that, which you could than connect by USB-C to the Arrow?

Or gave the Arrow a high OLED display with accurate metering etc.

Now to me it kinda feels like a stripped down version of what they already offered with USB-C to make it look more exciting.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
I'm surprised they've not released a very stripped down interface with only one input instead of two and not as many included plugins.what I'd rather uad would do instead of including the same bundle of plugins with each interface is give people a version of each interface without the bundle and at a cheaper price.
Very much agreed. I'm surprised at the features, since it more or less steps into the small Apollo territory, and the plugins included are just very underwhelming as always, although they probably won't hinder anyone's ability to achieve a good sounding recording.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac

For everyone complaining here's the skinny. This is ENTRY level for UAD. I am sure future products will have more features that you desire. Be excited that the interfaces are turning to TB3. This is a step in a positive direction. Now we need to test the latency and stability to make sure it's a good product. Companies have no excuse not to write the best possible drivers they can. People should start focusing on that with regards to the companies. This is the FIRST product with TB3.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallon426 View Post
This is the FIRST product with TB3.
The first UA product with TB3? Yes. The first interface with TB3? No. The Focusrite Red 16Line has TB3
Old 17th January 2018
Here for the gear

Why on earth are you guys even commenting on the sound of a 3rd party video on youtube? Get your hands on such an Arrow audio interface and then tell me whether it's good or bad sounding.
"Uhh but that one YouTube video..." - Big deal, i'm sure you can find a bad sounding YouTube video on almost everything.

IF the price is lower at one point and IF the quality is decent it could be a good entry level quality interface. It's obviously not geared at pro studios... so what's there to complain about.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if this is TRUE TB3 data format and speeds? Remember when Apollo first came out it was just fire-wire over TB1. I am thinking since it can run with other Apollos it's really just TB2 with power ...no?
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Does anyone know if this is TRUE TB3 data format and speeds? Remember when Apollo first came out it was just fire-wire over TB1. I am thinking since it can run with other Apollos it's really just TB2 with power ...no?
honestly, even TB2 at 20 gb up and down per second has a bandwidth that exceeds anything you can do with basic multi track audio (unless you are running some monster Apollo expanded multitrack session above 96k)

this unit is true TB3 in the sense that it is receiving power over that connection, but i doubt this will boast any lower latency than the other TB2 Apollo offerings.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
This is not even remotely true.

UA has been doing the giveaway of Satellites for years. It's part of their Oct/Nov deal every year, and sometimes added into their Christmas deal.

The Satellite "Giveaways" are just enticements to purchase larger systems - it's definitely not a hint at a big change.

Specs on Arrow's converters etc. will be on the UA website tomorrow.
it was never meant to be TRUE!..it was a speculation... do you know what "I THINK" means?

I have no steak in the game except for BUYING a black 16 before the new march deadline and replacing my silver
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
honestly, even TB2 at 20 gb up and down per second has a bandwidth that exceeds anything you can do with basic multi track audio (unless you are running some monster Apollo expanded multitrack session above 96k)

this unit is true TB3 in the sense that it is receiving power over that connection, but i doubt this will boast any lower latency than the other TB2 Apollo offerings.
Thanks for the info but that is not what I asked, not really concerned with your opinion of the needs of audio data, etc, respectfully. with more bandwidth comes LOWER latency IF in fact it's really, fully, truly TB3. Am I supposed to not care about the specs because TB2 is "good enough?" I want to know the facts, simple as that.

I have a Twin MKII via TB and work at 96K - trust me there's room for improvement on the latency side of things, so my question is EXTREMELY valid.
Old 17th January 2018
Great unit for someone starting out or for taking on holiday (or nightshift - exceptions apply); I would have loved something like this back in the day. There's probably a fair bit of good value competition but it does give access to the much-loved UA plug-ins and I like that it's metal and has a useful signal chain.
Nick at Sonic State did a good overview with Tom Waterman from UA; it seems good for tracking but maybe I'd want more juice for some sessions. Maybe they will release a Quiver later...
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

they are saying in the video, it's USB C / Thunderbolt. USB C is just a universal type of connector which can carry all manner of protocols. in this case looks to be TB3. and as an early poster might be saying, in the sense that it must deliver power. so it could be TB2 + Power. so your computer may likely need to be able to deliver that protocol + power over that specific USB C connector on the puter.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBoulden View Post
it can't act as the monitor section of an Apollo system or be the remote control for the monitor section of an Apollo rack.
Damn! This would have made the perfect controller for a rack system. Oh well. *sigh*
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
Damn! This would have made the perfect controller for a rack system. Oh well. *sigh*
Yeah, I think that is to specifically differentiate it from the Apollo Twin.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyquistFrequency View Post
Why on earth are you guys even commenting on the sound of a 3rd party video on youtube? Get your hands on such an Arrow audio interface and then tell me whether it's good or bad sounding.
"Uhh but that one YouTube video..." - Big deal, i'm sure you can find a bad sounding YouTube video on almost everything.

IF the price is lower at one point and IF the quality is decent it could be a good entry level quality interface. It's obviously not geared at pro studios... so what's there to complain about.
Generally I'm totally with you. However, this isn't your average basement unboxing video. It's from Vintage King. I like VK. I get that they are trying to sell these. They are the ones that "went there" with very high production value and U47's and U67's for the demo of an everyman type interface. Ironically, the audio is weird, and I don't think it has anything to do with YouTube. It's probably getting remixed as we type.

The only logical reason to choose this over a Twin is buss power. To miss that point in marketing by choosing mic's that have power supplies 10 times the size of the portable interface is remarkable. Take some SDC's to a location previously unrecordable because of power restrictions, and show the world the beauty of battery/buss power.

UA's promo video will be stellar, they always are.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post

The only logical reason to choose this over a Twin is buss power.
Not true - if it's TRUE TB3 that is very desirable and so is the cheaper price if one does not need talk-back, two extra outs and digital connectivity. Just because it happens to be portable doesn't mean it can't live on a project studio desk. You could use it as the sound card for a big tower, high-end DAW if all you needed was some good DA, volume controller and a few mic pres with ultra low latency of TB3.

But yes, I agree with the rest. The audio sounds weird as hell, like every channel was too hot with a limiter and then bounced to a 128 MP3, haha.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Unbelievable.
My mixes sound fine on YouTube as long as you set it to 720P or higher. It is not the year 2009 anymore. Sound cloud streaming on the other hand…
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search