The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TBProAudio releases mvMeter 2 - Multivariable Meter including RMS, EBUR128, VU and PP DAW Software
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Addict

Software TBProAudio releases mvMeter 2 - Multivariable Meter including RMS, EBUR128, VU and PP

TBProAudio releases mvMeter2, a multivariable meter including RMS, EBUR128, VU and PPM measurement.
mvMeter2 is the successor of mvMeter and adds single/dual meter display, adjustable reference level for all meter modes, adjustable meter delay and preset management.

Features:
  • behaviour of classic analog VU and PPM meters
  • multiple measurement modes: PEAK, RMS, EBU R128, VU and PPM
  • multi channel metering: stereo, left, right, mid, side
  • New: single and dual meter display
  • New: adjustable reference level for all meter modes
  • New: adjustable meter delay
  • New: preset management
  • adjustable pre-gain including gain matching
  • instance label
  • large and accurate live meters
  • 64-bit internal processing
  • 5 different meter themes
  • GUI resizing up 400%, ready for 4k displays

System Requirements:
  • Windows XP or newer
  • Mac OS X 10.5 or newer
  • Win: 32/64 Bit VST, 32/64 Bit VST3, 32 Bit RTAS, 32/64 Bit AAX
  • OS X: 32/64 Bit VST, 32/64 Bit VST3, 32/64 Bit AU, 32 Bit RTAS, 32/64 Bit AAX
  • Tested with: Cockos Reaper, Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab 6/7/8, FL Studio 12.x, PT10/12

Price: free
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Graphics look very good indeed but at least on my Windows laptop here at home the needle movement is very choppy/non-smooth. It's hard to look at when I'm used to the extreme smoothness of VUMT Deluxe put on "Lightning" refresh rate.

Yeah, I know.. VUMT Deluxe is a commercial product so it's probably not fair to compare but your plugin is more than a little bit "inspired" by it so.. it's only fair the key feature of VUMT, the virtually perfectly smooth needle movement of it is mentioned.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
...but at least on my Windows laptop here at home the needle movement is very choppy/non-smooth.
Hmm, which OS, DAW and plug-in format are you using? Which HW specs?

Thank you!
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Windows 8.1 64bit, Reaper. Intel i7 3630QM using the built in intel graphics.. but I also have Nvidia 675MX in the machine.

Still, I don't think it's down to the hardware specs or DAW. There are other plugins that have perfectly smooth meters. I just think you need to up the refresh rate of them.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Addict

Update to V1.0.1

- Preset management: fix for user presets
- GUI: refresh rate increased to 60FPS
- GUI: Small fixes
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Much better framerate now! Needles are almost smooth. Perhaps if possible could you make the frame rate a user definable parameter? Or even try 120Hz with interpolation (which would still benefit 60Hz screens). Also worth noting that to avoid all flicker some screens need to run at 59Hz. So a user definable frame rate would be awesome.

It'd be interesting to see something crazy like 240Hz refresh that interpolates to make it super smooth.

Also, would it be possible to add a feature where the Overload led is always tied to digital overshoot of 0dBFS? As it is now I can not setup my desired "range" with the reference level while keeping the OL led to show me digital overs.

EDIT: You may be wondering about my strange requests but I suspect my way of working with meters is very similar to most people.. I'm not at all interested in real values or readouts, well most of the time I'm not.. I'm mainly interested in the meter movement and what visual range it covers. It's an intuitive way of "seeing" the density of the music, a sort of visual aid to dial in and confirm the sweetspot of various instruments and mixes. Thus the meter ballistics and smoothness of movement are of utmost importance. Probably the most important feature.

This is how I use it: I roughly dial in the "range" on my preferred meter "target". In my case it's zero and I'm using the RMS meter. Doesn't really matter what instrument or bus group I'm metering, I just tweak the meter reference level so that the needle corresponds with the audio and moves around zero as it's a nice position on your meter plugin.

This may not make much sense from a technical point of view but it's all about intuition and the movement of the needle. When I'm tired and fatigued it's sometimes easy to start overcompressing stuff. That's when these kinds of needles will help keep you grounded. They need to move in a certain way to confirm the sweetspot.

Last edited by bmanic; 18th January 2018 at 12:31 PM..
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
So a user definable frame rate would be awesome.
OK, let us think how to add this. GUI space is already limited...

Quote:
Also, would it be possible to add a feature where the Overload led is always tied to digital overshoot of 0dBFS? As it is now I can not setup my desired "range" with the reference level while keeping the OL led to show me digital overs.
OK, i got your point, makes sense. On the other side there are already commercial VU Meters available which full fill your requirement

In any case we will consider your request.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yes of course. I'm actually just spouting off ideas here as I thought you may want to further develop the plugin. I'm already pretty much settled with VUMT Deluxe but it's never a bad idea to list off ideas. You can always ignore them.

Though I have to admit, your 'Retro' skin is absolutely fabulous. That alone may get me to have your meter in various projects.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes of course. I'm actually just spouting off ideas here as I thought you may want to further develop the plugin. I'm already pretty much settled with VUMT Deluxe but it's never a bad idea to list off ideas. You can always ignore them.

Though I have to admit, your 'Retro' skin is absolutely fabulous. That alone may get me to have your meter in various projects.
Thank you for your nice words

Well, we do not want to "copy" feature sets of other products, not our style.
But big meter GUI is unique, so i like the idea of increasing the frame rate to ridiculous values:-)
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBProAudio View Post
idea of increasing the frame rate to ridiculous values:-)
I suggest you'd better use motion blur for needle movement, than extreme frame rates, and get better realistic smoothing effect even on lower f/r
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Addict

+1 for a smoother needle movement, whatever way it is achieved. I didn't find software that compares to the hardware behaviour yet.
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Addict

Software Update 1.0.2

Update 1.0.2:
- Presets: EBUR128 ML/SL and Peak added
- Preset management: menu entries "set to default" and "save as default state" added
- Preset management: internal storage changed, old presets become invalid!
- Gain match: changed function, please consult the manual
- NEW: FPS control (1-100 FPS)
- NEW: Gain link control
- NEW: Gain match button

Old 27th January 2018
Gear Addict

Thank you, gain match seems like a great addition.

Change from 60 to 100 fps seems visibly minimal, could you increase it to 300 please?
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Addict

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Change from 60 to 100 fps seems visibly minimal, could you increase it to 300 please?
Sorry, not yet, as it needs major code rewrite :-(
Old 1st April 2018
Heb
Gear Maniac
Thanks for the update, the EBUR128 SL preset is especially appreciated.
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
OK, let us think how to add this. GUI space is already limited...
OK, i got your point, makes sense. On the other side there are already commercial VU Meters available which full fill your requirement
In any case we will consider your request.
I have to say, you are extremely patient and accommodating, not to mention generous! I was looking for a good Master Buss meter for Sonar X3 (I'm so tired of staring at bar meters), and this fits the bill perfectly... the 10+ meter types and half-dozen skins are a sweet bonus. Thank you so much for the time and energy you put into creating and sharing such a useful and handy tool! You are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by PCou; 14th June 2018 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: syntax
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCou View Post
...You are greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Old 23rd June 2018
Here for the gear
I too am absolutely loving this (and not just because it's FREE ) So many options, and I'm just getting started exploring.

One question, and I apologize if I missed it; is there official documentation for this? As a newbie to any metering but stock Pro Tools, I'm curious what all these options actually do and how best to use them in my mixing/mastering.

Thank you for your hard work and generous offer.
Jc
Old 24th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceeaz View Post
I too am absolutely loving this (and not just because it's FREE ) So many options, and I'm just getting started exploring.

One question, and I apologize if I missed it; is there official documentation for this? As a newbie to any metering but stock Pro Tools, I'm curious what all these options actually do and how best to use them in my mixing/mastering.

Thank you for your hard work and generous offer.
Jc

Thank you very much. The manual comes with plugin or can be found here.
Old 24th June 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
The manual comes with plugin
Oh my, that's embarrassing I didn't even think to look in my installation! Thank you for your quick reply.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thank you!
Enjoying your plugin very much. Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search