The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundtheory announces Gullfoss plug-in at NAMM 2018
Old 11th January 2018
News Desk Editor

Soundtheory announces Gullfoss plug-in at NAMM 2018

Soundtheory Ships GULLFOSS Intelligent Automatic Equalizer

Now available at a special introductory price

Having introduced their first audio plug-in at the 2018 NAMM Show, Soundtheory is now shipping GULLFOSS, an intelligent automatic equalizer that uses unique computational auditory perception technology to identify and resolve problems in the frequency balance of your signal.

GULLFOSS works by automatically adjusting its settings in real-time according to the audible features of the input signal, providing quick and precise fixes for issues that would otherwise be unsolvable or require a lot of time and experience to resolve.

"GULFOSS is your own pair of Golden Ears", said Andreas Tell, Research Director and co-Founder of Soundtheory. "Not only does it solve a wide range of issues when mixing and mastering to help you get the best, most consistent sound possible, but it can also serve as a valuable resource to analyze your mixes and help you improve your craft."

While the technology behind GULLFOSS involves intricate analysis and complex mathematical algorithms, Soundtheory has created an easy-to-use tool for everyone from the amateur musician to the professional mastering engineer. Its clean user interface offers a set of basic parameters that can be adjusted to improve the clarity, detail, spatiality and balance of a mix or recording in a matter of seconds. GULLFOSS is even capable of fixing balancing issues between different sound elements without access to the individual tracks.

Key Features:
  • Automatic equalization in real-time
  • Highly advanced computational auditory perception model makes objective processing decisions
  • Intelligently treats sound elements in the mix separately
  • Improves clarity, detail, spatiality, definition and presence
  • Eliminates annoying resonances and cancellations
  • Retains dynamics and reduces the need for multiband compression
  • Mixes translate much more consistently between listening environments
  • Improve your mixes by watching the real-time EQ graph display
New patent-pending equalizer technology enables GULLFOSS to change its frequency response with the ultimate in precision more than 100 times per second and without introducing audible artifacts or degrading signal quality for unrivaled sound quality.

Together with a highly advanced internal auditory model that has been developed by Soundtheory, mixes processed with GULLFOSS will generally translate more consistently between different listening situations.

Price and Availability:

GULLFOSS is now available for a special introductory price of $99 USD at Soundtheory - Reveal your sound (regular price: $199.00)
Attached Thumbnails
Soundtheory announces Gullfoss plug-in at NAMM 2018-macbook-b953d3cf1f084ddcd9753cf544eae339.png  
Old 11th January 2018
Interesting. These tools can be useful sometimes. Be good to hear some demos.
Old 12th January 2018
Waiting for more info and demos here
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

reads title.... hopes it's some kind of nice waterfall plot thing....

Old 24th January 2018
Gear Maniac

There seems to be a demo available on the website. I'm running a pc at the moment so I can't check it out.

Anyone demoed this one yet?
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

There is a few sound examples you can listen to! Very cool with the before and after player. Every site should implement this.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Can not demo.It crashes all my hosts AU,VST,AAX when I try to load it.
Mac OS 10.11.6
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Can not demo.It crashes all my hosts AU,VST,AAX when I try to load it.
Mac OS 10.11.6
Hi goshalev,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these problems. We have tried to eliminate all issues during our beta test, but apparently a few have slipped through. Would you like to help us improve Gullfoss for you and everyone else? Then please contact our support using the webform on the website. We will try to get you up and running as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Andreas Tell
Director of Research at Soundtheory Ltd
Old 25th January 2018
Waiting for the Windows version, could be useful I think.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

I've been demoing this for a few hours and it's very nice. I'm just using conservative settings but the effect is noticeable.

I've also been comparing it to the UAD Katz Precision K-Stereo, just using the Recover and Deep modes with no added db boost. The results are quite similar but Gullfoss sounds a bit more dynamic because of its changing in real time with the music.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

This plugin is just out of this world, groundbreaking distribution calculating miracle, that gives so much better results than anything could do in the past. I only dreamt something like this existed. Feels like cheating, but really superb work, guys .

Wish for the developers that people would recognise how much better it is from any emulation that people crave for because it really is pretty groundbreaking, but on the other hand I wish for it to remainr unspotted from the public, so I can use it as a "secret magic" "
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I've been demoing this for a few hours and it's very nice. I'm just using conservative settings but the effect is noticeable.

I've also been comparing it to the UAD Katz Precision K-Stereo, just using the Recover and Deep modes with no added db boost. The results are quite similar but Gullfoss sounds a bit more dynamic because of its changing in real time with the music.
Hi Ron, I think it is very very different from Precision K-Stereo. Precision K-Stereo is a pretty basic Hass delay which in a way recovers ambience, while this is a realtime dynamic equaliztion with enormous precision. Maybe it might give similar results on a specific material, but apart from this it is totally different. This can really transform sound from muddy and harsh, to have a natural presence and definition. And can balance out even things no one thought would be possible.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Jantex: It must sound wonderful on your 8351s. It's definitely doing something unique and I like it. FYI, Katz says his plugin isn't just a Haas delay.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Jantex: It must sound wonderful on your 8351s. It's definitely doing something unique and I like it. FYI, Katz says his plugin isn't just a Haas delay.
K-stereo is great, I also use it, but what K-stereo does in essence is that it revives the ambience in a way that it makes it appear sounding more open. Quick delays that give perception of greater room and as these reflections can ge brighter or darker they make the sound appear to open up. Maybe it also involves somehing else, but the core basic principle is kind of like I described it.

So, no Gullfoss does not replace it, but it is a very different tool, but on certain material in can make things sound appear similar, because it eliminates masking which makes natural ambience more obvious, and this can open up the sound the way K-stereo does. But using Gullfoss also on single sources show how powerful it can be in greater transformation.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
K-stereo is great, I also use it, but what K-stereo does in essence is that it revives the ambience in a way that it makes it appear sounding more open. Quick delays that give perception of greater room and as these reflections can ge brighter or darker they make the sound appear to open up. Maybe it also involves somehing else, but the core basic principle is kind of like I described it.

So, no Gullfoss does not replace it, but it is a very different tool, but on certain material in can make things sound appear similar, because it eliminates masking which makes natural ambience more obvious, and this can open up the sound the way K-stereo does. But using Gullfoss also on single sources show how powerful it can be in greater transformation.
Hey Jantex, curious how this may compare to oeksound soothe. I'm on Windows, so can't demo this currently.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_guy182_ View Post
Hey Jantex, curious how this may compare to oeksound soothe. I'm on Windows, so can't demo this currently.
It is very different from Soothe, which I also have. Soothe only tames resonances and doesn't try to approach a frequency balance - it only dynamically cuts what is above the treshold, while Gullfoss also boosts what is underrepresented in the spectrum

When you limit the area of of Gullfoss to a more narrow band it can in some cases give similar results. And while Gullfoss can be used as a great de-esser and de-harsher its main thing is that it can rebalance the material in a never-heard-before manner a recording (mix or individual track) so that it sounds like it has been recorded this way. So it is not only a problem solver but a very detailed balancer.

Of course you can overdo things with Gullfoss since it is your decision how much you want to affect the track, but you immediately know when you've done this and once you reach the perfect balance it simply feels right.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

If you compare with this EQ, Sonible's EQ would be suitable. Gullfoss is a dynamic EQ, but Sonible is a static EQ.

To speak frankly I am surprised. I did not trust such an auto EQ. However, Gullfoss will help us in many ways. We can solve source problems in a way that we have never seen before. That allows engineers to concentrate on creative things.

There is something to be aware of. Do not overuse this EQ. Everything will be messed up. You have to make an accurate judgment. Perhaps it is more difficult than using traditional EQ. Don't rely too much on Gullfoss.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
It is very different from Soothe, which I also have. Soothe only tames resonances and doesn't try to approach a frequency balance - it only dynamically cuts what is above the treshold, while Gullfoss also boosts what is underrepresented in the spectrum

When you limit the area of of Gullfoss to a more narrow band it can in some cases give similar results. And while Gullfoss can be used as a great de-esser and de-harsher its main thing is that it can rebalance the material in a never-heard-before manner a recording (mix or individual track) so that it sounds like it has been recorded this way. So it is not only a problem solver but a very detailed balancer.

Of course you can overdo things with Gullfoss since it is your decision how much you want to affect the track, but you immediately know when you've done this and once you reach the perfect balance it simply feels right.
Jantex, do you feel Gullfoss could replace Soothe, or do they more compliment each other?
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
Jantex, do you feel Gullfoss could replace Soothe, or do they more compliment each other?
Unfortunately too early to tell, will be able to answer you this in maybe 3-4 months. I am in no way affiliated with the company, just really like this product after trying it out and buying it
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac
I'm testing it and hopefully I will buy it. do u sell through other vendors or only through ur website? really liking it so far.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Looks and sounds cool, waiting for the pc version.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

been testing it as well for a bit and it does some crazy voodoo stuff to sound. i only ran it on some premaster files with small adjustments and it opens up the mixes so nicely. however, as i've only ran it on a macbook pro for now, it lights it on fire. fans came on pretty much immediately, even though the cpu wasn't showing that high activity (around 5-7%) in an empty project, with just one stereo file and the plugin. on the desktop machine it will probably do much better. but it does sound really good (even if just in headphones).
Old 25th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
been testing it as well for a bit and it does some crazy voodoo stuff to sound. i only ran it on some premaster files with small adjustments and it opens up the mixes so nicely. however, as i've only ran it on a macbook pro for now, it lights it on fire. fans came on pretty much immediately, even though the cpu wasn't showing that high activity (around 5-7%) in an empty project, with just one stereo file and the plugin. on the desktop machine it will probably do much better. but it does sound really good (even if just in headphones).
Macs Fan Control is your friend
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Macs Fan Control is your friend
i may need that too. plugin is (so far) stable on my macbook pro, but definitely stirring up the fans.

i need to take some time with this, but it sounds good on a vocal, and an acoustic guitar track. have not tried it on a mix yet, or synths (most of my work=synths).

am liking it...
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear
Apparently the trial version has to be online all the time - I'm using a firewall that cuts off all unauthorized connections, and I had to disable it at least a dozen times due to the trial authorization popups. Does the full version have to stay online as well?
Old 25th January 2018
TZk
Gear Addict

From the site...

"You can install and authorize Gullfoss on several local user accounts and on different machines. However, the license includes only one offline activation and three online activations that require that you are online while Gullfoss is running and only runs on one machine at a time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTo View Post
Apparently the trial version has to be online all the time - I'm using a firewall that cuts off all unauthorized connections, and I had to disable it at least a dozen times due to the trial authorization popups. Does the full version have to stay online as well?
Old 25th January 2018
TZk
Gear Addict

I am liking this at 20% for stereo mixes.
Wish it had sidechain. I bounce stems for live performances, would love to send all tracks to an aux and have that as sidechain input on the stem bounce track.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

why would fan control be an option when the laptop is blowing super hot air out? i'm not really bothered by the sound as i'm working on headphones if i'm on the laptop anyway.

and the fact that the cpu isn't running that much and they say something about the gpu optimisation maybe it has something to do with that bouncey line pushing the integrated graphics to work harder? not much of a computer expert though
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Interested in trying this out, but it won’t install on my Mac running 10.11.6.
The installer won’t verify.
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Interested in trying this out, but it won’t install on my Mac running 10.11.6.
The installer won’t verify.
should install. try re-downloading the file, and/or rebooting your mac...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search