The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundtheory announces Gullfoss plug-in at NAMM 2018 Equalizer Plugins
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Hi, I do mix into it, it's just that I have little control over the sources.
Radio mics for example (90% of al lead vocals on live recordings) can have this saturation/distortion that's almost inaudible (maybe from the compression part of the companding, maybe a limiter, maybe bad gain staging, who knows) but Gullfoss makes this quite audible. Any plug ins I add that add harmonics are "punished" by Gullfoss straight away

I was experimenting a bit just now, and noticed that some radiomics with certain voices sound distorted with Gullfoss anyway, even without plug ins.
The distortion is not added by Gullfoss I think, because you do hear it in the unprocessed audio, it's just masked.
Masking can be a good thing you know

Huub
Hey guys! I have just downloaded the demo today and i'm trying to use it on a not very well recorded vocal, any settings advice?
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Hey guys! I have just downloaded the demo today and i'm trying to use it on a not very well recorded vocal, any settings advice?

I would personally advise to only use it on a full mix. With the edges set to 20 hz and 12khz.
Old 8th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
The thing is although this does do automatic EQing, once you start tweaking, it is not a silver bullet. You still need to know what it is you are trying to achieve to get the best out of it.

If you look at the controls and dare I say read the manual, you will understand that there is no way that anyone who hasn't heard the vocal recording you're referring to could advise you of any settings.

Also, I think you still need to understand EQ to use this thing. And before you EQ anything you should know what it is you are trying to improve or change first.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear
CM Music Awards:
“The dream of fully-automatic EQ is realised with this incredible plugin from newcomers Soundtheory. Gullfoss models the human auditory system to “understand what your signal really sounds like and how it can be improved”, then adjusts the frequency response of its filters 100 times a second to constantly shape the spectrum for the optimum sound. Once you’ve got your head around the vagaries of its few controls, the transparent spectral enhancement it delivers is a thing to behold. Alas, Gullfoss is currently only available to Mac-based producers, but a Windows version is due sometime in 2019.”
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi all,

demoing Gullfoss for the first time, 10.14, Logic X 10.4.4

I see that in the changelog:

v1.0.16 (2018-04-04)
* Added crosshair in EQ graph showing exact frequency and gain at mouse pointer position.

I'm running the newest build/trial and do not see an overlay of the frequency... I'm seeing the crosshair 'tics' along the X/Y axis as I move my cursor, but no indication of frequency or gain. In order to see the frequency, I'm having to drag one of the red end lines over the dynamic areas being cut/boosted.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
I'm running the newest build/trial and do not see an overlay of the frequency... I'm seeing the crosshair 'tics' along the X/Y axis as I move my cursor, but no indication of frequency or gain. In order to see the frequency, I'm having to drag one of the red end lines over the dynamic areas being cut/boosted.
You have to hold down the left mouse button.

Andreas
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you've not tried it, put Gullfoss on your reverb AUX channels. The more channels feeding it, the better.

W.i.n.n.i.n.g.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
If you've not tried it, put Gullfoss on your reverb AUX channels. The more channels feeding it, the better.

W.i.n.n.i.n.g.
I'll play around with that!
What settings do you typically use?
Cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex View Post
I'll play around with that!
What settings do you typically use?
Cheers!
Depends how much you want to carve it out, I pushed it quite hard on a Nebula plate yesterday and it sounded great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Anyone have any insight on whether we'll see the PC version released for NAMM?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Windows Version released!

Just joking
Old 4 weeks ago
Jesus christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That was a low blow @filterfreak!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post

Just joking

They will in a short space of time
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Would be nice if the dev could give a hint :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I know this isn't the best place to post feature requests but can we please have A-B-C-D slots for quick comparisons, along with Copy & Paste of course?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post

Just joking
OMG you bastard!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Some people never got the attention they desperately needed from mommy and daddy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've been using Gullfoss since it was launched mostly on my mix bus or when mastering, always lightly with TAME around 10 to 20%. I usually like what it does to the low mids but often after tweaking eq's and then coming back to gullfoss and bypassing it I find it add bit of harshness. Then I decrease brightness to compensate but still it feels more ''natural'' when bypassed. I know it depends on the material I'm working and maybe I'm not using it right but usually I start with it on and toward the end of the mastering process I bypass it and like it better without it...

Last edited by Mubemol; 3 weeks ago at 03:01 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubemol View Post
I've been using Gullfoss since it was launched mostly on my mix bus or when mastering, always lightly with TAME around 10 to 20%. I usually like what it does to the low mids but often after tweaking eq's and then coming back to gullfoss and bypassing it I find it add bit of harshness. Then I decrease brightness to compensate but still it feels more ''natural'' when bypassed. I know it depends on the material I'm working and maybe I'm not using it right but usually I start with it on and toward the end of the mastering process I bypass it and like it better without it...
Would this not then be a classic case of ‘Just because you have a tool,doesn’t mean you have to use it”?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I personally always decrease brightness quite a bit.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

For those of you with Patchwork I recommend putting it inside that and assigning all parameters to Patchwork controls. That way you can adjust down to the .2 step. And use the mix control.

A nice setting with all controls taken into account including a touch of bias to the least high set of Recover/Tame, both filters used to focus the effect where needed... mixed in to taste 75% is great, will bring density and control to the mix without sounding too processed. Plus you can input specific values into the Patchwork knobs and get in between settings. If you have ever looked at the controls behind the GUI on Gullfoss you'll have realised that the GUI only displays the rounded whole number there's at least 2 or 3 more decimal places being given... to provide different results everything you use it.

With Patchwork you can use a more controlled, 'stepped' system. I love this for mastering.

Also always use the brightness control a bit and the boost control.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to reduce brightness but now prefer to low pass the top end.

Gullfoss can add a bit too much sparkle at times.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Would this not then be a classic case of ‘Just because you have a tool,doesn’t mean you have to use it”?
Sure is
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I used to reduce brightness but now prefer to low pass the top end.

Gullfoss can add a bit too much sparkle at times.
Cool, that might help too
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I don't want to lean too far out of the Windows, but we have news for NAMM!

If you can, come to our booth!

Andreas
Old 3 weeks ago
Does your booth have Windows?!!!! I hope you have a great NAMM.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atell View Post
I don't want to lean too far out of the Windows, but we have news for NAMM!

If you can, come to our booth!

Andreas
Great news Been waiting for this
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

From their Facebook:
"We have exciting news! The Windows version of our intelligent automatic EQ plugin Gullfoss is almost here! If you are a Windows user, you can get a first look at the 2019 NAMM Show at the Anaheim Convention Center from tomorrow January 24 through January 27th.
The Windows version of Gullfoss is expected to be available at the end of February 2019 for an introductory price of $99 - 50% off the regular price of $199."

Andreas, can you tell us if there will be a beta and if we can join it by pre-ordering or something? Can't wait for this and the sooner I can get in on the action the better.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucor View Post
From their Facebook:
"We have exciting news! The Windows version of our intelligent automatic EQ plugin Gullfoss is almost here! If you are a Windows user, you can get a first look at the 2019 NAMM Show at the Anaheim Convention Center from tomorrow January 24 through January 27th.
The Windows version of Gullfoss is expected to be available at the end of February 2019 for an introductory price of $99 - 50% off the regular price of $199."

Andreas, can you tell us if there will be a beta and if we can join it by pre-ordering or something? Can't wait for this and the sooner I can get in on the action the better.
Yes! I purchased the Mac version many months ago in hopes that I would be included in Windows beta testing, which I've officially inquired about. Will that still happen?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search