The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundtheory announces Gullfoss plug-in at NAMM 2018 Equalizer Plugins
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Same idea as sound radix surfer EQ ? Love the surfer.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Head

I’m very impressed with my testing in Logic so far, and almost certainly will be buying, but am experiencing one strange issue: the AU shows up in Logic (and Bluecat’s Patchwork, for that matter) perfectly fine, but does not seem to be showing up in the Izotope Ozone 8 Mac standalone at all for some reason (and yes, I checked the “unknown” developer folder as well). As I sometimes like to do final mastering in the Ozone standalone, this is a bit inconvenient. Has anyone else had a problem using in Ozone? Or, conversely, is it working fine in the standalone on Mac for others?
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonian View Post
We're still working hard getting the Mac version bedded down. Then around 6 months for Win.....and we'll update about that as much as we can.

David
Soundtheory
David, how soon can we expect offline activation for Macs?
I will be working away from home this summer and will not always have internet connection and I would like to be able to continue working with Gullfoss.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Same idea as sound radix surfer EQ ? Love the surfer.
2 very different things. Try it and see
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
David, how soon can we expect offline activation for Macs?
I will be working away from home this summer and will not always have internet connection and I would like to be able to continue working with Gullfoss.
Can't say for sure, but before a European summer!
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirkusPi View Post
I’m very impressed with my testing in Logic so far, and almost certainly will be buying, but am experiencing one strange issue: the AU shows up in Logic (and Bluecat’s Patchwork, for that matter) perfectly fine, but does not seem to be showing up in the Izotope Ozone 8 Mac standalone at all for some reason.
It's quite possible that Ozone only supports hosting the old Carbon Component format for Audio Units. I don't have Ozone 8 Mac standalone here for testing. But doesn't it load VST plugins too? In that case you should be able to point it to the path where Gullfoss is located (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/) and it should be able to load it.

Andreas
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Head
Not in Ozone standalone 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atell View Post
It's quite possible that Ozone only supports hosting the old Carbon Component format for Audio Units. I don't have Ozone 8 Mac standalone here for testing. But doesn't it load VST plugins too? In that case you should be able to point it to the path where Gullfoss is located (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/) and it should be able to load it.

Andreas
I have just re-scanned both AU and VST in ozone 8 standalone . The name SoundTheory or Sound Theory /and / or Gullfoss does not even come up in the list on my mac pro 12 core , sierra, 48 gb
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfrans View Post
I have just re-scanned both AU and VST in ozone 8 standalone . The name SoundTheory or Sound Theory /and / or Gullfoss does not even come up in the list on my mac pro 12 core , sierra, 48 gb
Did you explicitly check if the folder I referred to above is in your VST folder list in the preferences?

Are you running Ozone in 64 bit mode?

You might also want to talk to Izotope's support. There is little we can do if the VST does not show up.

Andreas
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

I bought Gullfoss but when I try to authorise it keeps showing: Internal error - please contact sound theory.
This is so annoying.

Is this happening only to me?

thx
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
I bought Gullfoss but when I try to authorise it keeps showing: Internal error - please contact sound theory.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Please use the webform on our website to report the issue. We will try to figure out what is causing it and get you up and running ASAP.

Thanks,
Andreas
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post

Is this happening only to me?

thx
I've had a similar issue this morning although previously it has been authorising ok.

Today I inserted a new instantiation in a Pro Tools session that hadn't had any Gullfoss previously and the plugin asked for authorisation. On clicking the authorisation request I got an alert "Contact Support".

Before contacting them I reinstalled Gullfoss 1.0.9 and after that when it asked for authorisation I got a log in and it authorised okay.

I've contacted them anyway because I've lost one of my online authorisations by doing this and if it continues to happen it won't be long until they are all used up.

I haven't had a reply from support yet but only sent in the support request about half an hour ago.

One thing, on sending in the request there has been no acknowledgement of receipt either after the submission of the form on the website or via email so I have no idea if the support request was received. Time will tell.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Already sent

Quote:
Sorry for the inconvenience. Please use the webform on our website to report the issue. We will try to figure out what is causing it and get you up and running ASAP.

Thanks,
Andreas
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
2 very different things. Try it and see

Thought it was only mac?
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimsat View Post
I've had a similar issue this morning although previously it has been authorising ok.

Today I inserted a new instantiation in a Pro Tools session that hadn't had any Gullfoss previously and the plugin asked for authorisation. On clicking the authorisation request I got an alert "Contact Support".

Before contacting them I reinstalled Gullfoss 1.0.9 and after that when it asked for authorisation I got a log in and it authorised okay.

I've contacted them anyway because I've lost one of my online authorisations by doing this and if it continues to happen it won't be long until they are all used up.

I haven't had a reply from support yet but only sent in the support request about half an hour ago.

One thing, on sending in the request there has been no acknowledgement of receipt either after the submission of the form on the website or via email so I have no idea if the support request was received. Time will tell.
Support got back to me very promptly (thanks Andreas) and my issue was down to resetting NVRAM on this mac over the weekend whilst trying to fix a separate issue.

I can't recall ever having any authorisation issues with other things when resetting NVRAM previously so it was a new one for me that resetting the NVRAM would kill the authorisation.

Hopefully this info will be useful to any Gullfoss users planning to reset NVRAM on their Mac at any time.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Head
Ozone 64 bit both VST and Au , checking for SirkusPi

Quote:
Did you explicitly check if the folder I referred to above is in your VST folder list in the preferences?

Are you running Ozone in 64 bit mode?

You might also want to talk to Izotope's support. There is little we can do if the VST does not show up.

Andreas
As stated above : I checked both VST and AU. So that means I CHECKED the boxes in the preferences and both folders where scanned. Mac version automatically starts up the 64 bit version UNLESS you check the box "Open in 32 bit mode" in get Info .which haven't, so yeah. 64 bit, both folders. I'm NOT checking this for me but for SirkusPi (, I use a separate LOGIC Template for mastering 8 STEMS).

BTW :
Love the trick with the midrange-leave-alone-zone (MLAZ) by sliding the red barriers ACROSS --OVER each other to the other side. It may well be that this is explained somewhere in the manual but I believe it will be missed by most ;-) users under time pressure ( Like myself).

Cheers
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
As stated above : I checked both VST and AU. So that means I CHECKED the boxes in the preferences and both folders where scanned. Mac version automatically starts up the 64 bit version UNLESS you check the box "Open in 32 bit mode" in get Info .which haven't, so yeah. 64 bit, both folders. I'm NOT checking this for me but for SirkusPi (, I use a separate LOGIC Template for mastering 8 STEMS).
In that case please take it to Izotope's support. Our VST interface is standard and I wouldn't know why it cannot be seen. And I don't have Ozone here for testing.

Thanks,

Andreas
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Head
@ SirkusPi : Here's your answer from Andreas ateli ;-)

Quote:
In that case please take it to Izotope's support. Our VST interface is standard and I wouldn't know why it cannot be seen. And I don't have Ozone here for testing.

Thanks,

Andreas
Thanks for your quick answer Andreas but as I said : I could not care less for myself since I do not use Ozone that way...: I'm ONLY doing a second-mac test for SirkusPi.. So let me include your answer as advice to him.

Cheers
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

I have been running Gullfoss in Ozone 8 Advance standalone since a couple of weeks without problems and finally bought it after I realized it sneaked in every production since. I am on macOS Sierra
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

I just noticed the Gullfoss installer has upped its version to 1.0.9 already. That’s a lot of patch updates in a short time. I would say that is a good thing because they are actively working very hard on bug fixes. Is there any released documentation on what the fixes are for each version? I always like to see a changelog. Also, is there a newsletter I could get on to be notified of version updates?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

They might not have a formal change log because it's been a steady stream of WT? coming from the early adopters and they have undoubtedly been coding like beavers to get more universally stable release. I'm taking liberties here.
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
Is there any released documentation on what the fixes are for each version? I always like to see a changelog. Also, is there a newsletter I could get on to be notified of version updates?
Hi JSV - the installer always displays a changelog that you can load up. I've appended the last few items below.... And you can sign up for the newsletter on the Soundtheory website. (We've yet to release our first one:<<)

Yes, as Bitman suggests, the guys have been working really hard to try and sort out issues during this Early Release phase. We had an extensive beta period, but as you can imagine there are a thousand flavours of DAW and machine combinations out there. We know there are still a few people with difficulties, and we're trying our best!

David
+++++++
Changelog

v1.0.9 2018-03-03
• Fixed an issue with bypass in Logic interrupting processing
• Improved graphics performance and lower resource usage

v1.0.8 2018-03-01
• Added support for AVX512 on Xeon Knights Landing, Xeon Phi and Skylake-X
• Fixed an issue with the bypass state after reloading a project
• Added feature: Alt-click on number boxes now alternates between the default value and the last non-default value
• Entering numerical value with the keyboard now gives visual feedback

v1.0.7 2018-02-28
• Fixed several issues that could cause crashes
• Improved license dialog error handling
• Fixed VST3 parameter communication with host
• Fixed VST3 context menu location
• Added native bypass support for VST3 hosts
• Improved multi-core performance
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Loving this plugin. Seriously....... on my Master Bussssssss and it's amazing. Just barely using it % wise mostly....but still. WOW!
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanks for your quick answer Andreas but as I said : I could not care less for myself since I do not use Ozone that way...: I'm ONLY doing a second-mac test for SirkusPi.. So let me include your answer as advice to him.

Cheers
Thanks for checking for me! I hadn’t installed the vst originally, since, as a Logic user, I mainly use AUs. But I reinstalled Gullfoss including the vst, and the vst actually shows up and works fine in my Mac Ozone 8 standalone, even though the AU still doesn’t appear. So although strange, at least it is now usable for me in Ozone 8.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

What a great idea and execution this thing.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
What a great idea and execution this thing.
I agree. I think it's ingenius, and it's on every project now. Despite the fairly simple controls, I find it allows for a good deal of flexibility. Very quick to dial in!
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

I have one suggestion for what could be your next plugin: a plugin wrapper that would do automatic loudness compensation. There is an open market on this subject. Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin works but it's mainly for mastering -- he said a long time ago that they were thinking about a version suitable for mixing situations, but nothing so far; and also that plugin normalizes the audio to -16LUFS, it does not match the input's volume like Gullfoss does. Melda has one too but it works roughly on the same principle as Perception if I remember well.

But these are not convenient because you have to insert one instance before the plugin(s) you want to loudness compensate, and one instance after. One the other hand, a plugin wrapper in which you could load a compressor/EQ/whatever audio processor, and that would auto compensate for loudness changes, would be an instant success in my opinion.

Also, if you have new stuff to bring to the table regarding human sound perception, why not talking to ITU, which makes the LUFS standards? The algorithm they propose is quite simple (you probably know about it), it may be a gift to the audio world if you could help them improve it! Why not!
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupiraille View Post
I have one suggestion for what could be your next plugin: a plugin wrapper that would do automatic loudness compensation. There is an open market on this subject. Ian Shepherd's Perception plugin works but it's mainly for mastering -- he said a long time ago that they were thinking about a version suitable for mixing situations, but nothing so far; and also that plugin normalizes the audio to -16LUFS, it does not match the input's volume like Gullfoss does. Melda has one too but it works roughly on the same principle as Perception if I remember well.

But these are not convenient because you have to insert one instance before the plugin(s) you want to loudness compensate, and one instance after. One the other hand, a plugin wrapper in which you could load a compressor/EQ/whatever audio processor, and that would auto compensate for loudness changes, would be an instant success in my opinion.

Also, if you have new stuff to bring to the table regarding human sound perception, why not talking to ITU, which makes the LUFS standards? The algorithm they propose is quite simple (you probably know about it), it may be a gift to the audio world if you could help them improve it! Why not!
Ever heard of AudioVitamin's CONTRA ?
It does just that.

Contra – Audio Vitamins
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

I do. But it does not auto-compensate for loudness, does it?
The idea being matching the output's perceived loundness with the input's one, in realtime, while messing up with the enclosed EQ/comp/etc. Like in MJUC or the TDR plugins. I'm not sure Contra is exactly that. Plus it has that "length" parameter which shall not be here for the idea I propose.

Last edited by soupiraille; 14th March 2018 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Precisions added
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupiraille View Post
I do. But it does not auto-compensate for loudness, does it?
The idea being matching the output's perceived loundness with the input's one, in realtime, while messing up with the enclosed EQ/comp/etc. Like in MJUC or the TDR plugins. I'm not sure Contra is exactly that. Plus it has that "length" parameter which shall not be here for the idea I propose.
I tested it comparing f.i. various UAD compressors. You play the track for a bit. It measures each of the plugs loudness and then keeps them the same once you start comparing automatically ( can be blind too) . This is exit-strategy so maybe not exactly what you'd describe in your second mail with full-in-out-bypass gain match.

About the meddling during that playing I have to try that as well, not sure if it needs the one "play" to set the volumes equal.
Could ask Dave of Audiovitamins.

Cheers
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

Thank you for testing. Actually you are right, Contra is not the idea I propose here. But thanks for that reminder about that plugin!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search