The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stam Audio SA-EQP1A Equalizer
Old 7th October 2019
  #391
With the 10 min I’ve tried them, they do sound amazing, tight and huge pultec lows and the highs are not harsh!! The mid band is really amazing too! I only have 2 issues with the design... the output level knob is an awesome feature but I wish they were stepped or at least some lines to level match and recall.. my second issue is that the bypass does not bypass the mid band! You have to set the mid band in the middle setting (boost - bypass - attenuate) and also hit the bypass switch, so it’s kinda hard to bypass to hear the diff. Also wished the bypass switch was bigger. But all in all it was worth the wait and these sound spectacular. I’ll post a before and after clip in the next few hours...
Old 8th October 2019
  #392
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
With the 10 min I’ve tried them, they do sound amazing, tight and huge pultec lows and the highs are not harsh!! The mid band is really amazing too! I only have 2 issues with the design... the output level knob is an awesome feature but I wish they were stepped or at least some lines to level match and recall.. my second issue is that the bypass does not bypass the mid band! You have to set the mid band in the middle setting (boost - bypass - attenuate) and also hit the bypass switch, so it’s kinda hard to bypass to hear the diff. Also wished the bypass switch was bigger. But all in all it was worth the wait and these sound spectacular. I’ll post a before and after clip in the next few hours...
Output has to be set to the max!

Thanks for these comments, I look forward to the pictures

We worked very hard on matching the huge low end of the original!!
Old 8th October 2019
  #393
If it has to be set to the max then what is the point of having it? Sometimes after boosting you want to attenuate the output so you don’t clip your converters - I assumed that’s what it was for...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Output has to be set to the max!

Thanks for these comments, I look forward to the pictures

We worked very hard on matching the huge low end of the original!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #394
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
With the 10 min I’ve tried them, they do sound amazing, tight and huge pultec lows and the highs are not harsh!! The mid band is really amazing too! I only have 2 issues with the design... the output level knob is an awesome feature but I wish they were stepped or at least some lines to level match and recall.. my second issue is that the bypass does not bypass the mid band! You have to set the mid band in the middle setting (boost - bypass - attenuate) and also hit the bypass switch, so it’s kinda hard to bypass to hear the diff. Also wished the bypass switch was bigger. But all in all it was worth the wait and these sound spectacular. I’ll post a before and after clip in the next few hours...
Jushua, whats the point with the bypass. is this as you designed it or should the bypass go over the whole unit and this is only a little fabrication error?

thanx for clearing.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #395
Lives for gear
 

So I've been trying to read through this thread, as painful as that is, trying to determine precisely what they settled on for components for both the stock and NOS versions.

Can some help me out and enlighten me?

Are there different transformers in each version or just different tubes?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #396
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
So I've been trying to read through this thread, as painful as that is, trying to determine precisely what they settled on for components for both the stock and NOS versions.

Can some help me out and enlighten me?

Are there different transformers in each version or just different tubes?
From Josh as I was deciding on whether to get the upgrade...which I did

"It's a larger input and interstage transformers and NOS tubes."
Old 4 weeks ago
  #397
Company Rep
3 versiones

1090: Standard
1190: NOS tubes
1390: Larger input and inter-stage transformers and NOS tubes
Old 4 weeks ago
  #398
Here for the gear
 

Mid Boost Disconnected?

Hey Josh, I just got my 2 units in & have been testing them out. I am finding that the mid “Boost” knobs on both units do basically nothing to the gain of these frequencies, even when set to a very “Broad,” Q on the dial.

How am I sure? My ears, and the fact that I’ve got a digital EQ patched in after the Stams, reading all the adjustments the Stam EQ’s are sending, and there is almost no noticeable change when boosted all the way or none at all. It’s like these knobs are for decoration only and not even connected to the unit on the inside. Doesn’t matter which mid frequencies the selector switches are targeting, there is no change in the gain of the signal. Same goes when passing a sine wave of any frequency through it: No gain change.

The bass/atten portion of the EQ works fine. When the switch is flipped to “Attenuation” rather than “Boost,” it does affect the signal but not when switched to “Boost.” I would open it up myself and find out if you forgot to wire these knobs up, but I don’t want to invalidate my warranty.

Very concerned; I can’t imagine this is the maximum boost the Mid EQ provides? And I shouldn’t have to wait months longer to see what’s going on, so where do we go from here? Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
  #399
My mid frequency works fine, btw there is 3 switches to this, there is boost-bypass-attenuate... maybe you are keeping it in bypass... I highly doubt Josh forgot to wire both units...click it one click up to boost.... Oh and make sure that you have the right voltage set in the back. Mine was set at 220 and when I first tried it it was distorting and figured it out right away that the wrong voltage was selected. I put it to 110 and all was good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
Hey Josh, I just got my 2 units in & have been testing them out. I am finding that the mid “Boost” knobs on both units do basically nothing to the gain of these frequencies, even when set to a very “Broad,” Q on the dial.

How am I sure? My ears, and the fact that I’ve got a digital EQ patched in after the Stams, reading all the adjustments the Stam EQ’s are sending, and there is almost no noticeable change when boosted all the way or none at all. It’s like these knobs are for decoration only and not even connected to the unit on the inside. Doesn’t matter which mid frequencies the selector switches are targeting, there is no change in the gain of the signal. Same goes when passing a sine wave of any frequency through it: No gain change.

The bass/atten portion of the EQ works fine. When the switch is flipped to “Attenuation” rather than “Boost,” it does affect the signal but not when switched to “Boost.” I would open it up myself and find out if you forgot to wire these knobs up, but I don’t want to invalidate my warranty.

Very concerned; I can’t imagine this is the maximum boost the Mid EQ provides? And I shouldn’t have to wait months longer to see what’s going on, so where do we go from here? Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
  #400
Gear Addict
 
basic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
Hey Josh, I just got my 2 units in & have been testing them out. I am finding that the mid “Boost” knobs on both units do basically nothing to the gain of these frequencies, even when set to a very “Broad,” Q on the dial.

How am I sure? My ears, and the fact that I’ve got a digital EQ patched in after the Stams, reading all the adjustments the Stam EQ’s are sending, and there is almost no noticeable change when boosted all the way or none at all. It’s like these knobs are for decoration only and not even connected to the unit on the inside. Doesn’t matter which mid frequencies the selector switches are targeting, there is no change in the gain of the signal. Same goes when passing a sine wave of any frequency through it: No gain change.

The bass/atten portion of the EQ works fine. When the switch is flipped to “Attenuation” rather than “Boost,” it does affect the signal but not when switched to “Boost.” I would open it up myself and find out if you forgot to wire these knobs up, but I don’t want to invalidate my warranty.

Very concerned; I can’t imagine this is the maximum boost the Mid EQ provides? And I shouldn’t have to wait months longer to see what’s going on, so where do we go from here? Thanks
Mine cuts and boosts fine also in the mid band.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #401
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
Hey Josh, I just got my 2 units in & have been testing them out. I am finding that the mid “Boost” knobs on both units do basically nothing to the gain of these frequencies, even when set to a very “Broad,” Q on the dial.

How am I sure? My ears, and the fact that I’ve got a digital EQ patched in after the Stams, reading all the adjustments the Stam EQ’s are sending, and there is almost no noticeable change when boosted all the way or none at all. It’s like these knobs are for decoration only and not even connected to the unit on the inside. Doesn’t matter which mid frequencies the selector switches are targeting, there is no change in the gain of the signal. Same goes when passing a sine wave of any frequency through it: No gain change.

The bass/atten portion of the EQ works fine. When the switch is flipped to “Attenuation” rather than “Boost,” it does affect the signal but not when switched to “Boost.” I would open it up myself and find out if you forgot to wire these knobs up, but I don’t want to invalidate my warranty.

Very concerned; I can’t imagine this is the maximum boost the Mid EQ provides? And I shouldn’t have to wait months longer to see what’s going on, so where do we go from here? Thanks
Hello
This would be a first and quite strange since we have a printed checklist with a 3 stage QC by 3 different engineers and at least 2 would have detected this if not all 3.

Just to make sure before we send it to evaluation

1) Did you set both pieces to 115v at the back? This would make the mids not work
2) Did you set the piece at boost and not bypass?

Regardless, we will look after your units if there is any problem inmediately

Josh
Old 4 weeks ago
  #402
Gear Maniac
 
shakermaker3's Avatar
 

Talking

It's already been covered but I had eq issues with my Stam 1073s that were fully resolved by changing the 115v at the back. Def check that!

I was saying to myself could it be that subtle ? Than boom ohhhh there it is lol
Old 4 weeks ago
  #403
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
It's already been covered but I had eq issues with my Stam 1073s that were fully resolved by changing the 115v at the back. Def check that!

I was saying to myself could it be that subtle ? Than boom ohhhh there it is lol

I made that same mistake with my SA-3A last year. Flip of a switch and all was well.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #404
Here for the gear
 

Thanks All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
1) Did you set both pieces to 115v at the back? This would make the mids not work
2) Did you set the piece at boost and not bypass?
Thanks for your help, peeps.

1) The voltage switches were in fact NOT switched to 110.
2) I had NO idea the "Boost/Atten" switch was a 3-way toggle.
3) These things are aesthetically gorgeous and the most solidly built units I own.
4) These sound absolutely AMAZING and I can now say they were very worth the wait! I would have never been able to afford real Pultecs, and these live up to EVERY expectation I had.

We are all aware of the turnaround times, but no way another company builds them of this quality for this price.

A sincere THANKS to Josh and Stam Audio for making good on the biggest promise he made: Delivery of pristine, exact replicas of the finest EQ's on the planet.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #405
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Did the eq ship with a manual?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #406
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Did the eq ship with a manual?
No manual. Would have helped a ton, but Gearslutz...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #407
Here for the gear
 

Hope everyone is fine over in Chile. Be safe
Old 3 weeks ago
  #408
Company Rep
We are safe, thank you so much Patrick

We do have a few issues, workers can't come in on regular hours as there is no public transport, military is on the street and the airport is virtually closed. We are also not allowed on public after 7 PM. State of Emergency has been declared

We are doing our best so we can have a regular week but with reduced hours so people can get home safely and well before 7

Thank you for your wishes
Old 1 week ago
  #409
Gear Maniac
 
McWreckinBall's Avatar
I got my DHL tracking number a couple days ago! The long wait is nearly over! Anyone else get theirs?
Old 1 week ago
  #410
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWreckinBall View Post
I got my DHL tracking number a couple days ago! The long wait is nearly over! Anyone else get theirs?
Congratulations!! Hoping to be not too far behind you.
Old 1 week ago
  #411
Gear Maniac
 
shakermaker3's Avatar
 

Hopefully soon! I was told I'd be getting my full + nos x2 before end of OCT. But the turmoil in Chile changed things. Safety and we'll being first, of course tho
Old 1 week ago
  #412
You will not be disappointed sir!!! Which one did you get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWreckinBall View Post
I got my DHL tracking number a couple days ago! The long wait is nearly over! Anyone else get theirs?
Old 1 week ago
  #413
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
Hopefully soon! I was told I'd be getting my full + nos x2 before end of OCT. But the turmoil in Chile changed things. Safety and we'll being first, of course tho
I was told the same about my full upgrade nos x2 delivery. I hold the same point of view as you. We all want our gear but not at the risk of people getting hurt. Safety first.
Old 1 day ago
  #414
Lives for gear
 
midmost's Avatar
hey there,


can any lucker owner show some guts shots?
would love to see some inside.



and maybe can joshua shed some light on what exact larger input and inter-stage transformers you user over the standard stock units?
Old 21 hours ago
  #415
Company Rep
Sure thing, I will take some pics today
The larger transformers provide a wider bandwidth (more low end, more top end)
This unit was designed with the stock transformers which sound great, you can safely choose though and will love the unit
Sowter then developed these and I decided to offer them as well
Old 18 hours ago
  #416
Gear Maniac
 
4fmb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Sure thing, I will take some pics today
The larger transformers provide a wider bandwidth (more low end, more top end)
This unit was designed with the stock transformers which sound great, you can safely choose though and will love the unit
Sowter then developed these and I decided to offer them as well

Hi Joshua,

That you offer options on some of your products is a wonderful thing -choice is good! I am wondering, though, since your stock design is billed more or less as an exact re-creation, would that mean that the new Sowter option yields low and top end that is closer than the stock option to the originals, or is greater than that of the Pultec originals?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 16 hours ago
  #417
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
Hi Joshua,

That you offer options on some of your products is a wonderful thing -choice is good! I am wondering, though, since your stock design is billed more or less as an exact re-creation, would that mean that the new Sowter option yields low and top end that is closer than the stock option to the originals, or is greater than that of the Pultec originals?

Thanks!

Mark
I test the original Pultecs vs the stock transformers and have it a green light.

I guess the larger ones sound even better but again, nothing wrong with the stock ones
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump