The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crazy News: Neumann U67 reissue at Namm 2018 Condenser Microphones
Old 24th February 2018
Here for the gear

Have They been released in the USA? Anybody know of a dealer in America that has them in stock?
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbanjo View Post
Have They been released in the USA? Anybody know of a dealer in America that has them in stock?
Mid/late March
VK has pre orders
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

I was told by a friend at Sennheiser/Neumann that they've already got orders for 350 of them. Sounds like a success, so far.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I was told by a friend at Sennheiser/Neumann that they've already got orders for 350 of them. Sounds like a success, so far.
About $2,450,000. Barely covers the labor costs.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Ok just saw the specs for the new u67 on Sweetwater and noticed it said 20hz to 20khz. Huh??? I thought the original frequency range for the u67 was 30hz to 16khz. I have read and heard about guys modding their vintage u67's to have a higher frequency response which is nice and all but I dont if messing with the frequency response was the right thing to do with this release.

I could just already hear the vintage lynch mob getting ready to pounce on this mic based on this

Who knows maybe this will make it sound better but this could really blow up in their face.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

A freq. range without deviation is meaningless. Is it +/- 1 dB or +/- 6 dBs? Could be anything. Also is it the head amp or the output of the mic? Or the capsule feeding a linear head amp? Also any tech info forwarded by a dealer should always be double checked. 20Hz-20KHz is typical filler material when a freq. resp. spec needs to be given. It's considered the audible range of humans at birth and has been used for decades as the standard audio band range for HiFi and Pro Audio gear. It doesn't mean much anymore.
Old 26th February 2018
can't wait for someone to make youtube video in 4k quality comparing the differences between the new U67 and a vintage one
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
About $2,450,000. Barely covers the labor costs.
Won't even cover the expedition to the foothills of Timbukthree to mine the unobtainum.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
can't wait for someone to make youtube video in 4k quality comparing the differences between the new U67 and a vintage one
I’ve come to the conclusion that reliable mic shootouts are basically impossible to do, especially with voice which is my main interest. You can’t properly aim the voice at more than one capsule at a time, so the type where several mics are all set up at once can’t capture what each mic would be capable of by itself. And if you test with different takes, then you’re dealing with how the singer responds to the information they’re getting back from the monitor, which is always “in conversation” with how the mic is acting, and which will influence everything from subtle changes in their voice placement (resonance), projection (dynamics), and distance to the mic (leaning in/leaning back.) There doesn’t really seem to be any way to be scientific about it.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

If the distance is a healthy 12 inches and both mics are side by side and aimed at the mouth, there will be negligible difference in placement between the two, and the test will indeed show up any relevant differences in timbre between the mics, assuming the singer/speaker is not swinging their head around which should obviously be discouraged for the purposes of the test. Bottom line, it mightn't be absolutely scientifically perfect, but can be quite serviceably close.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
I’ve come to the conclusion that reliable mic shootouts are basically impossible to do, especially with voice which is my main interest. You can’t properly aim the voice at more than one capsule at a time, so the type where several mics are all set up at once can’t capture what each mic would be capable of by itself. And if you test with different takes, then you’re dealing with how the singer responds to the information they’re getting back from the monitor, which is always “in conversation” with how the mic is acting, and which will influence everything from subtle changes in their voice placement (resonance), projection (dynamics), and distance to the mic (leaning in/leaning back.) There doesn’t really seem to be any way to be scientific about it.
You're right, of course, but I find them better than nothing. My ears can tell a lot more from a shootout type test than my eyes can tell just looking at the mic on the Sweetwater website.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Guru

Both are true. And it also points out that many times, the person's favorite microphone can also be a highly biased conclusion based on a particular performance at a particular point in time.

The [absolutely best microphone at any price] may be less important than gearslutz' would like to believe. Choosing something close is likely just fine when that magical performance strikes.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Guru

Looking forward to comparing this to the new Bock 67.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Nobody should compare anything except comparing comparisons to ^2-Comparisons -Comparisons (1/2Comparisons) -.34821045-2343/2 = Comparisons
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
You're right, of course, but I find them better than nothing. My ears can tell a lot more from a shootout type test than my eyes can tell just looking at the mic on the Sweetwater website.
I didn’t mean to come off as “anti-mic shootout”– I’ll certainly always take any information I can get! I was more lamenting that it’s so hard to find much useful information short of buying the mic and testing it yourself.
Old 27th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coniglius View Post
I went ahead and preordered one I was/am pretty annoyed to find that for $7k they are not offering the "IC 4" type connector for these like the originals had. Looks like the U67 RI has a 7 pin connector and the IC connector types available from Neumann are only 3 and 5 pin type :(

What about the IC4 internal switchcraft xlr swipe from 3 to 7 pin? Some have done that easily to fit the IC4 in the Max mod tlm67. I guess it will be the solution for this mistake from neumann's awesome new release
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Sili View Post
What about the IC4 internal switchcraft xlr swipe from 3 to 7 pin? Some have done that easily to fit the IC4 in the Max mod tlm67. I guess it will be the solution for this mistake from neumann's awesome new release
I did this for the max mod, but this won't work for the 7 pin tuchel connector in the actual U67.
Old 27th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
I did this for the max mod, but this won't work for the 7 pin tuchel connector in the actual U67.
Sad to hear this! Neumann's swivel mount is a classic desirable look on the mics. Hope the neumann guys realize that people want the classics EXACLY like the originals, like Telefunken make those C12 and ELA M 251 with their classic swivels...
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear
Are there any places that will allow you to demo a couple of mics? Does Sweetwater, SoundPure, Full Compass, etc, do something where you pay to test and then get that deducted if you buy?
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Are there any places that will allow you to demo a couple of mics? Does Sweetwater, SoundPure, Full Compass, etc, do something where you pay to test and then get that deducted if you buy?
I know that Vintage King and SoundPure used to. Probably most allow you to buy both and return one for a refund.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn’t mean to come off as “anti-mic shootout”– I’ll certainly always take any information I can get! I was more lamenting that it’s so hard to find much useful information short of buying the mic and testing it yourself.
My concern is that people aren't doing the test as well as IS easily possible and confusing the results. My other pet peeve with mic shootouts is when they switch between the two tracks every 10 or 20 seconds instead of comparing apples to apples. This is invariably done by parties that have a vested interest in showing that their cheaper "clone" is indistinguishable from the classic original. The problem is obviously that at no point can you compare the same instances of the take on both mics, making it impossible to actually compare the two accurately.
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
My concern is that people aren't doing the test as well as IS easily possible and confusing the results. My other pet peeve with mic shootouts is when they switch between the two tracks every 10 or 20 seconds instead of comparing apples to apples. This is invariably done by parties that have a vested interest in showing that their cheaper "clone" is indistinguishable from the classic original. The problem is obviously that at no point can you compare the same instances of the take on both mics, making it impossible to actually compare the two accurately.
Like I originally said, I don’t think it’s so easy, for voice. If you do a shootout with the mics all 12” away, like you suggested earlier, that wouldn’t let you hear the proximity response of any of the mics which is a big consideration for close-mic’d vocal use. (I agree with you that if you’re just evaluating the mics for other, more distant-miking purposes, it’s a good way to go.)
Old 28th February 2018
Motown legend

The best test is 6-12 inches away without a windscreen screwing up the midrange.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like I originally said, I don’t think it’s so easy, for voice. If you do a shootout with the mics all 12” away, like you suggested earlier, that wouldn’t let you hear the proximity response of any of the mics which is a big consideration for close-mic’d vocal use. (I agree with you that if you’re just evaluating the mics for other, more distant-miking purposes, it’s a good way to go.)
Agreed, but it will still tell you a lot. 12 inches is not that far away for a vocal, or anything else, for that matter, and IME more common than 6. Granted I might typically go a bit closer but usually no less than 8". Many vocals are done at 12 inches to maintain a natural perspective and to avoid having to high pass them. One of the main things I listen for is how the mic handles sibilance. IME, that tells me a lot about the quality in general.
Old 28th February 2018
Motown legend

Three to five feet was not uncommon at Motown in Detroit.
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Three to five feet was not uncommon at Motown in Detroit.
No problem if you have great rooms (although I would say u47 type is better for that.) Many of us are working in small spaces these days and the close-micing of vocals has also become ubiquitous for its “intimacy” effect.

Note too that in Neumann’s history the u67 was specifically developed as their first “close-micing” mic:
Quote:
The U 67 was also the first microphone to address modern recording techniques such as close miking.
Source:
Georg Neumann GmbH - Products/Current Microphones/U 67 Set/Description
Old 28th February 2018
Motown legend

FWIW: the Sony C-37a was killing the U-47 in sales at the time.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The best test is 6-12 inches away without a windscreen screwing up the midrange.
A little OT, but this has me curious, as I’ve always used pop filters when recording — I’ll have to test this with my Manley later tonight. How would you describe the effect on the midrange?
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
A little OT, but this has me curious, as I’ve always used pop filters when recording — I’ll have to test this with my Manley later tonight. How would you describe the effect on the midrange?
I'm curious too. I've never heard anyone say that pop filters color the sound. I was going to get one. Now I'm second guessing.
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
I'm curious too. I've never heard anyone say that pop filters color the sound. I was going to get one. Now I'm second guessing.
Tradeoff between fidelity and capsule degradation due to halitosis/spittle.
Say, for instance, you book 8 hours with Anthony Kiedis. You'll be wantin' the popscreen.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search