The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crazy News: Neumann U67 reissue at Namm 2018
Old 23rd January 2018
  #301
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
oh i did not get that - thanks. so its a mkl cap vs what? cheers
Wet tant (pant)
Old 24th January 2018
  #302
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
id love to see some inside pics. wonder what they used for the mkl and tfm caps. im sure this will be great. but 100% no way. the mkl caps are not around anymore and rather important for tone. the same most likely applies to the transformers laminations. but who cares as long as its very close. i love that they do it and im sure its a really great mic! i think the price is ok considering the vintage market and what other mic manufacturers charge in general. plus its the greatest mic on earth
@ Salomonander: Haha! I didn’t see your post right above mine! Right on dude!
Old 24th January 2018
  #303
Lives for gear
Might get the Wunder CM67 instead but props to Neumann.
Old 24th January 2018
  #304
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
Quote:
Reasons why the price should come down:
1. It's not an original from the 1960s
They're not vintage 60s units because the deal fell through for the time machine Neumann was going to use to go back to the 60s and make more U67s so they could reissue original mics from the 1960s in 2018.
Old 24th January 2018
  #305
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Ok here’s a challenge!!!!

I bet no one can refrain from posting here and stirring the pot of BS and supposition until someone posts from the tradefloor of the show with a selfie of themselves holding the said mic and furnishing the audience with first hand details including the price..

Surely primary evidence counts for something these days in an age of fake news, which this thread has spawned enough of its own!

On your marks .... go!!

Prove me wrong!
Wiggy
Old 24th January 2018
  #306
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Please.


Love the ignore list feature
Old 24th January 2018
  #307
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post


Love the ignore list feature
hahaha, yes it is the single best thing I discovered in this thread :D
Old 24th January 2018
  #308
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

god damn...

can we please please please stop quoting this supertroll?
if you've read one of his posts, you've read them all.

regarding the Neumann U67 reissue...

Neumann is the only company that is capable of doing a spot on U67 reissue.
even if it won't be 100% there, it will be the closest thing to a well kept vintage U67 that anyone can manufacture, period.

and regarding the 7k price tag...

this mic will NOT be a clone.
it'll be an official reissue, by Neumann, made in germany.
Neumann tube mics have always been expensive, why should they even try to make a 2k/3k U67 ?
to compete with Stam, Warm, GAP and the rest of the bunch?
hell no, Neumann is the real deal, and the real deal ain't comin' cheap.
If you can't afford it, leave it alone and buy something else, but please stop complaining about the price tag.

sorry for the rant.
Old 24th January 2018
  #309
Lives for gear
 
Brian Campbell's Avatar
 

Curious to know about the tube, if Neumann bought up a pile of NOS Valvo EF86 or...?
Old 24th January 2018
  #310
Lives for gear
 
dbjp's Avatar
 

Wonder if there’s any possibility that they’ve got someone to create new EF86 to Neumann’s specs..
Old 24th January 2018
  #311
Old 24th January 2018
  #312
Lives for gear
 
mattcollen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_3 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. From what I can tell from the pictures, it looks impressive.
Old 24th January 2018
  #313
Gear Addict
 
blackfinder's Avatar
 

just curious...
which of you own/ever tried a real well cared vintage U67 ?
and which of you own/ever tried a real well designed and built U67 replica/clone ?

well, time ago i had a chance to compare a gorgeous sounding vintage U67 with a REALLY WELL made replica/clone and i challenged whoever was there to hear any noteworthy difference, crude alone or within a mixed track.
No mention after you then used Eq, compressor, and effect on them !

It was clearly evident that spending $ 7000 it's for those who noisily cry to be happily "fooled" by a hundreds bucks Sennheiser's mic with a Neumann logo on it. As good as it can be, if you dismantle and quote all the pieces, tech labour and "packaging", as for today, it can't justify that sale price...

So for my direct experience, find a NICE tech, check the parts, order him a pair and spend the saved $$$ for something you can't really replicate!
my 2 cents
Old 24th January 2018
  #314
Gear Guru
I love people slamming a $7K mic and then complaining that China has ruined the market..... Nice to pay people properly and take time to research and finish components..... Hope this is lovely....
Old 24th January 2018
  #315
8780$ on that site.
Old 24th January 2018
  #316
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
just curious...
which of you own/ever tried a real well cared vintage U67 ?
and which of you own/ever tried a real well designed and built U67 replica/clone ?

well, time ago i had a chance to compare a gorgeous sounding vintage U67 with a REALLY WELL made replica/clone and i challenged whoever was there to hear any noteworthy difference, crude alone or within a mixed track.
No mention after you then used Eq, compressor, and effect on them !

It was clearly evident that spending $ 7000 it's for those who noisily cry to be happily "fooled" by a hundreds bucks Sennheiser's mic with a Neumann logo on it. As good as it can be, if you dismantle and quote all the pieces, tech labour and "packaging", as for today, it can't justify that sale price...

So for my direct experience, find a NICE tech, check the parts, order him a pair and spend the saved $$$ for something you can't really replicate!
my 2 cents
I own two vintage 67, compared to Bees Neez Mahalia. U67 were simply different. Mahalia was nice mic though. Well maintained U67 is the fattest mic ever. Mahalia had not these balls
Old 24th January 2018
  #317
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
just curious...
which of you own/ever tried a real well cared vintage U67 ?
and which of you own/ever tried a real well designed and built U67 replica/clone ?

well, time ago i had a chance to compare a gorgeous sounding vintage U67 with a REALLY WELL made replica/clone and i challenged whoever was there to hear any noteworthy difference, crude alone or within a mixed track.
No mention after you then used Eq, compressor, and effect on them !

It was clearly evident that spending $ 7000 it's for those who noisily cry to be happily "fooled" by a hundreds bucks Sennheiser's mic with a Neumann logo on it. As good as it can be, if you dismantle and quote all the pieces, tech labour and "packaging", as for today, it can't justify that sale price...

So for my direct experience, find a NICE tech, check the parts, order him a pair and spend the saved $$$ for something you can't really replicate!
my 2 cents
Your argument is really sterile.
So if I record and mix in your studio-facility, you are able to recognize all the microphones and gear I used for tracking and mixing???
Also it can happen that a cheaper mic fits better some tasks, so I sell the more expensive mic??
You can extend your thoughts to your heritage audio channel strips, that I sold you, for example, try to compare them to the new heritage audio elite series, after tracking eqiing comping etc, then Ichallenge you to recognize the 80 series.

You are the classic guy that think that what he have is good, what he don't buy is for fools.

Your way of thinking was clear to me, and this is the reason I didn't answered to your requests to come here to compare gear.
Old 24th January 2018
  #318
Gear Addict
 
blackfinder's Avatar
 

never tried, but if i well remember, starting from the most "sensible" part, the capsule, Bees Neez Mahalia don't have "that capsule"...
from my point of view if you design a mic that would sound "very likely" a U67, i guess you should start from a genuine Neumann k67 capsule otherwise the project is starting "wrong" from the beginning
you know for sure how many mics have marketed with the "87" or "47" magic number but do not use any of "those" most critical (and expensive) parts inside them.
for what i tested till now, capsule, tube and output transformer are basically what brings you "there" the most !
Old 24th January 2018
  #319
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
for what i tested till now, capsule, tube and output transformer are basically what brings you "there" the most !
This is the statement of KE and other mic guru you read online.
Please tell me all the combination of capsules, tubes and transformers you have done.
Old 24th January 2018
  #320
Gear Addict
 
blackfinder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Your argument is really sterile.
So if I record and mix in your studio-facility, you are able to recognize all the microphones and gear I used for tracking and mixing???
Also it can happen that a cheaper mic fits better some tasks, so I sell the more expensive mic??
You can extend your thoughts to your heritage audio channel strips, that I sold you, for example, try to compare them to the new heritage audio elite series, after tracking eqiing comping etc, then Ichallenge you to recognize the 80 series.

You are the classic guy that think that what he have is good, what he don't buy is for fools.

Your way of thinking was clear to me, and this is the reason I didn't answered to your requests to come here to compare gear.
Renato, you're using a 1176 (if you still have) after owning something that is marketed as 1176 but not nearly sound for what you're bought...
till the day i brought you my custom built 1176 you has never listened what it is famous for. The prove is you ordered one because the "real deal" are in the parts and because you don't have to pay $ 3000 / 3500 dollars like the vintage units you could find around in the used market.
did you read well ?? i said 7000 / 8000 for a U67 is not justified, in fact you can get there for way less!
I have a 1200 dollars C12 custom built clone that compares super well with an original model that costs 10 times more!


PS: in fact i wouldn't pay 4000 for a neve clone module i got used and for a really great price, from you, and some other from another guy that sold me for further lower price. I'm not talking about "cheap" gear, but about what you pay against what you can get "doing yourself". New U67 would be a great mic for sure, but 8000 it's a scam !
If you want to test a REALLY GOOD U67 clone for 1500 contact me, my 1176 DOCET
Old 24th January 2018
  #321
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
What was the list price of a U67 in 1960? Anyone know? I couldn't find..
$499! Of course, a new car was $1500.
Old 24th January 2018
  #322
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
Renato, you're using a 1176 (if you still have) after owning something that is marketed as 1176 but not nearly sound for what you're bought...
till the day i brought you my custom built 1176 you has never listened what it is famous for. The prove is you ordered one because the "real deal" are in the parts and ause you haven't paid $ 3000 / 3500 dollars like the vintage units you could find around in the used market.
did you read well ?? i said 7000 / 8000 for a U67 is not justified, in fact you can get there for way less!
I have a 1200 dollars C12 custom built clone that compares super well with an original model that costs 10 times more!
The 1176 you suggested me and that I bought is really cool but still far from a vintage blue stripe 1176.
Maybe I will sell it for something else.
Also I had issues, and sound is not consistent in the time.
Selling it I will lose money.
Selling the ua 1176 I lost nothing.

You are saying k67 is key for the sound, then you say that you can get there for less..

Totally inconsistent

Again, what combination of capsules tubes and transformers have you tried???
Old 24th January 2018
  #323
Gear Addict
 
blackfinder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
This is the statement of KE and other mic guru you read online.
Please tell me all the combination of capsules, tubes and transformers you have done.
i'm not a technician, but for example: my modded M149 (coming directly from Conchita Wurst producer), has replaced capsule, vintage hand selected tube + vintage PSU replica, and added Haufe transformer, all like the old M49.
and for a third of the price i have what you would have paid 10K o more.

just to say...
My STA Level clone build in Russia costs 1500, and when compared with Retro model (over 3000) i like mine little more.

The point is Neumann is selling new U67 cause they know people would buy for 8000, simply for e it does not worth 8000, for the reason i explained.

Instead, what has A LOT f time labout and high costs that are justified it's your console... but TODAY, a 60 years ago tech, simply do not worth that price!

Last edited by blackfinder; 24th January 2018 at 11:36 PM..
Old 24th January 2018
  #324
Gear Addict
 
blackfinder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Again, what combination of capsules tubes and transformers have you tried???

again, i'm not a mic builder, as i said i tried both and no way there is 10 times difference. I remember for sure the capsule is K67 from Neumann, then tube and transformer same as old model, but should ask the tech builder... i just reported what i listended that day
It's so hard to accept that if you start with same core parts you are in the "right" way? as you said mojor mic gurus say that, and that should make you think it's true

anyway if you like, when you buy the new U67 i coul try to get in touch to borrow that clone, then we can listen if 10 times more t's worth the candle
Old 24th January 2018
  #325
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Sure, some fairly respectable 'clones' will exist for half of the price... But then they won't be the real "Neumann U67" will they
Old 24th January 2018
  #326
Lives for gear
 
Jamie Mac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
8780$ on that site.
That's Canadian dollars
Old 24th January 2018
  #327
Gear Addict
 
blackfinder's Avatar
 

so it's US$ 7120 at actual exchange... in Europe adding tax should be 7000 euro
Old 24th January 2018
  #328
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

some guys really don't understand the difference between a reissue and a clone, do you?

this thread is about the real Neumann U-67 reissue, not your type-67 clones.
anyone saying they have a clone that is even 95% there, please provide some serious clips/files against an original U67, or shut the f**k up.

and again,... if you're not willing or able to put up the cash for the real thing, go look somewhere else.
all these "my clone is much cheaper, but it sounds exactly like a U-67" comments don't get us anywhere.
Old 24th January 2018
  #329
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
i'm not a technician, but for example: my modded M149 (coming directly from Conchita Wurst producer), has replaced capsule, vintage hand selected tube + vintage PSU replica, and added Haufe transformer, all like the old M149.
and for a third of the price i have what you would have paid 10K o more.

just to say...
My STA Level clone build in Russia costs 1500, and when compared with Retro model (over 3000) i like mine little more.

The point is Neumann is selling new U67 cause they know people would buy for 8000, simply for e it does not worth 8000, for the reason i explained.

Instead, what has A LOT f time labout and high costs that are justified it's your console... but TODAY, a 60 years ago tech, simply do not worth that price!
We are all fools to buy differently to you.
We can close gearslurz and ask you what to buy.

Only, don't try to sell your gear, you will be shocked by the money loss.
Period.
Old 24th January 2018
  #330
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
some guys really don't understand the difference between a reissue and a clone, do you?

this thread is about the real Neumann U-67 reissue, not your type-67 clones.
anyone saying they have a clone that is even 95% there, please provide some serious clips/files against an original U67, or shut the f**k up.

and again,... if you're not willing or able to put up the cash for the real thing, go look somewhere else.
all these "my clone is much cheaper, but it sounds exactly like a U-67" comments don't get us anywhere.
Exactly!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 98 views: 40988
Avatar for nst7
nst7 14th February 2014
replies: 57 views: 18419
Avatar for gpiccolini
gpiccolini 12th May 2016
replies: 2704 views: 394378
Avatar for Diogo C
Diogo C 30th October 2015
replies: 1299 views: 207925
Avatar for jeremyhorn
jeremyhorn 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump