The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chris Lord Alge Audio Legends 2 Mixing Masterclass
Old 10th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmundsuperstar View Post
Would be interesting to see Curves Settings (attack, sustain...) in Trigger for Kick and Snare Amb. Is it possible Steven?
Thanks
100% chance untouched. CLA isn't that guy.
Old 10th January 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I love the mix. I love the course. I love the tips and tricks. But lets be real. Even pre-comp'd, those tracks came in sounding pretty bulletproof. If the CLA comping vid was accurate and he barely did any EQ before levelling and comping, then pull the session up and kill the samples and you'll see with a slight bit more tweaking you'll get the drums slamming. And thats because they were recorded very well. No parallel comp (a CLA staple), barely any rides (another CLA staple). I get it, this track didn't need any. But are we to believe the days of CLA dancing around 150 tracks of "Welcome To The Black Parade" are behind him? This mix is great, and yeah he whipped it up in no time (this is how he works), but I wish the course dove in with a track that was a challenge to CLA, as much as it would be a learning experience to the consumer.
Actually CLA said the tracks had a lot to be desired compared to what he was used to... which again is stuff coming from the best of the best recording engineers in top rooms.

As for CLA's drum group... he said he'll only do one if it needs it. Not a staple for him. Believe me I've grilled CLA on his drum technique for nearly a decade now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmundsuperstar View Post
Would be interesting to see Curves Settings (attack, sustain...) in Trigger for Kick and Snare Amb. Is it possible Steven?
Thanks
I can get this for you. But he had his assistant set it so that it favored the top velocity, perhaps with the exception of fills.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Hello, Steven! There is no chance to just buy the course? I will not need a month's subscription... Cheers!
Old 11th January 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmanoel View Post
Hello, Steven! There is no chance to just buy the course? I will not need a month's subscription... Cheers!
Just like cars aren't available without wheels, the course is not available without the processors that CLA used for the entire mix It's only $20 for the month of plugins and will be crucial to see how CLA uses them.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Just like cars aren't available without wheels, the course is not available without the processors that CLA used for the entire mix It's only $20 for the month of plugins and will be crucial to see how CLA uses them.

Cheers,
Steven
$24.99 actually!
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Unless you already own the wheels, then it’s still an extra $20 for nothing.

I don’t think it’s a bad deal at all, so please don’t take it like that, even at $99 for something like this it’s well worth it. But it’s an extra step to have to sign up for the plan just to get the video (I already own everything) and then have to cancel the subscription, when I could have just bought the video and been done with it. Also perpetual owners are forced to pay more again ($20) even if they own everything. I just see it kind of pointless. Hopefully in future releases you’ll change your policy to allow us to just purchase right out.

Last edited by shatz; 11th January 2018 at 02:18 AM..
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
No, at the top it says “For Everything Bundle Users Only”
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
No, at the top it says “For Everything Bundle Users Only”
So the videos don't play unless one subscribes too?
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So the videos don't play unless one subscribes too?
You have to subscribe to purchase the video. After that you can unsubscribe.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Head

Dear Slate, CLA is the man and I will probably check out this course but please do a course with some other top mixers.

I would kill for a Terry Date session, and you already have worked with him in the past.

Or Ken Andrews, because he is probably one of the best itb mixers working today. Aside from that SOS article there is not much out there on him.

Also, do more tape machines or formulas for vtm.

Old 11th January 2018
Quote:
Actually CLA said the tracks had a lot to be desired compared to what he was used to... which again is stuff coming from the best of the best recording engineers in top rooms.

As for CLA's drum group... he said he'll only do one if it needs it. Not a staple for him. Believe me I've grilled CLA on his drum technique for nearly a decade now!

Cheers,
Steven
Well when you hold it to other classic CLA staples, the mix itself has a lot to be desired. It's so... dark.

Funny though, I watched him mix 12 songs of all different genres, and the parallel comp was a staple in all of them. Plus his extra parallel fader to boost vocals (even away from his main console), plus his Pultecs on the master bus, as well as a few other quirks. The guy is a creature of habit, there's no denying that.

I understand that when releasing something as big as this course that it's easy to maybe be on the defensive when met with any sort of criticism. But the truth is many of us have seen CLA work now, in many different ways, on many different platforms. So you can see where the curiosity stems.

Track sounds great and the videos are interesting.
Old 11th January 2018

Quote:
Well when you hold it to other classic CLA staples, the mix itself has a lot to be desired. It's so... dark..
Really? Pretty bright to these ears! Especially the chorus. I'm curious what his mastering engineer (Ted Jensen) would do to these. Maybe I'll have him master it!

Quote:
Funny though, I watched him mix 12 songs of all different genres, and the parallel comp was a staple in all of them. Plus his extra parallel fader to boost vocals (even away from his main console), plus his Pultecs on the master bus, as well as a few other quirks. The guy is a creature of habit, there's no denying that..
I've known Chris for nearly 10 years and watched him mix quite a lot. He does have a lot of consistencies but definitely not a creature of habit. For a while he was using the ShadowHills comp instead of the Red3. Then he went to the SSL Buss Comp. Now he seems back to his Red.

I've seen him mix with and without a drum parallel bus. I've seen him use lots of compression and zero compression. In fact, in this course, he uses ZERO compression on one of the primary mix elements (and said he did the same on the analog mix).

Quote:
I understand that when releasing something as big as this course that it's easy to maybe be on the defensive when met with any sort of criticism. But the truth is many of us have seen CLA work now, in many different ways, on many different platforms. So you can see where the curiosity stems.

Track sounds great and the videos are interesting.
This is not me being defensive my friend! It's just facts! Glad you like the course though

Cheers,
Steven
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Really? Pretty bright to these ears! Especially the chorus. I'm curious what his mastering engineer (Ted Jensen) would do to these. Maybe I'll have him master it!
I'd love to hear this. I think the difference mastering makes can be overlooked and it'd be great to hear the "final product"
Old 11th January 2018
Here for the gear

Hi there

I just bought the course. There is a lot of interesting stuff inside but I have a question:

I downloaded it for Logic Pro and I wonder why the tracks running so hot in the plugins. After reading a lot of topics about headroom it's strange for me.
Could someone explain me why ? Steven ?

Thanks

Best regards from France.
Old 11th January 2018
Quote:

I've known Chris for nearly 10 years and watched him mix quite a lot. He does have a lot of consistencies but definitely not a creature of habit. For a while he was using the ShadowHills comp instead of the Red3. Then he went to the SSL Buss Comp. Now he seems back to his Red.

I've seen him mix with and without a drum parallel bus. I've seen him use lots of compression and zero compression. In fact, in this course, he uses ZERO compression on one of the primary mix elements (and said he did the same on the analog mix).

This is not me being defensive my friend! It's just facts! Glad you like the course though

Cheers,
Steven
A Jensen master would be interesting. Yeah maybe having him master the ITB mix would be cool. My dark comment comes from holding it up to Senses Fail (a bit older I know) or even Paramore's Brand New Eyes. The snare cracks like a frigging beast in that.
I am curious what mastering would do. Now that I pull up the mix of my band he did (one pass in France, nothing crazy), I do see it to be a bit on the darker side too.
Old 11th January 2018

Quote:
A Jensen master would be interesting. Yeah maybe having him master the ITB mix would be cool. My dark comment comes from holding it up to Senses Fail (a bit older I know) or even Paramore's Brand New Eyes. The snare cracks like a frigging beast in that.
I am curious what mastering would do. Now that I pull up the mix of my band he did (one pass in France, nothing crazy), I do see it to be a bit on the darker side too.
Out of curiosity I took a listen to some more unmastered mixes of CLAs that I have and they all seem to not overdo the top end, so I'd probably say that any bright CLA mix you've heard is likely more of the mastering engineer (or producer's) taste.

I'll have Ted master it as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 11th January 2018
Quote:
Out of curiosity I took a listen to some more unmastered mixes of CLAs that I have and they all seem to not overdo the top end, so I'd probably say that any bright CLA mix you've heard is likely more of the mastering engineer (or producer's) taste.

Cheers,
Steven
That's cool of you to do.
Old 11th January 2018
Where did the band record their drums?They sound amazing. Very little bleed on the snare tracks.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
This is both a great idea, and really cool of you to do.
I've often wished that more un-mastered vs mastered mixes were available.. in this kind of context.
There's plenty of examples attempting to sell mastering services or demonstrating at-home techniques, but not many examples of what top-tier mixers send out vs what the public hears.

One additional thought: I think it would be both really cool and instructive to get a video where you and CLA take a side by side look at both of his mix-course mixes and discuss his reasoning/thinking behind different plugin use, techniques, and his perceived finish-line/goals for the two songs vs each other.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikouiou View Post
Hi there

I just bought the course. There is a lot of interesting stuff inside but I have a question:

I downloaded it for Logic Pro and I wonder why the tracks running so hot in the plugins. After reading a lot of topics about headroom it's strange for me.
Could someone explain me why ? Steven ?

Thanks

Best regards from France.
How much hot do they run into your Logic?
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
You have to subscribe to purchase the video. After that you can unsubscribe.
Thanks that's a bit iffy i'll see what I think on pay day.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks that's a bit iffy i'll see what I think on pay day.
Yes that’s why I think it should be an option to subscribe, because you’re automatically signed up for a reoccurring monthly fee if you don’t unsubscribe. Doesn’t make sense for perpetual owners who own everything. Besides I don’t think CLA uses anywhere near all the plugins on the bundle anyway.
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Nut

I'm tempted but I've seen so many of these type of tutorials now that I'm not sure what I'm going to gain from it. As somebody else put it the source material is generally clear as a bell and right where it needs to be. I'm generally not working with anywhere near that so not sure how I would justify $79
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

I didn’t think the source material was all that great. The guitars were the worst part. In the mix it’s ok and he made it fit the song, but I wouldn’t ever record that tone! lol
The bass sounded good. Sounded like it had an active pickup in it. It was hot, clear and punchy. Nothing special about the drums either. What you’re hearing are mostly samples.

I’m not trying to pick on anyone but if you think these source tracks are great sounding then these tutorials are probably too advanced for you, and should be looking at recording videos and not mixing videos. The source tracks were better on the 1st CLA Legends course.
Guys like CLA are most likely not polishing turds, so it would be better for someone else to mix something that has to be fixed up like y’all want it.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Dang shatz! Would love to hear your guitar tones!

No mixer is going to be disappointed getting these tracks! “Homebrew” was a bit of a marketing stretch in my opinion but I really don’t care. It is informative anyway. I do prefer watching Chris mix on the console. It’s really exciting to listen and watch how his automation comes together.

The new MWTM Carrie Underwood session is the Sh/t !!
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
Dang shatz! Would love to hear your guitar tones!

No mixer is going to be disappointed getting these tracks! “Homebrew” was a bit of a marketing stretch in my opinion but I really don’t care. It is informative anyway. I do prefer watching Chris mix on the console. It’s really exciting to listen and watch how his automation comes together.

The new MWTM Carrie Underwood session is the Sh/t !!
I’m not a great recording/mixing engineer by any means which is why I enjoy watching these types of videos, and I’m also a drummer so take what I say with a grain of salt. lol
But when I heard the tracks in the session they really aren’t that great. But in the mix it works.

I’m only recording my personal band these days but here’s my most recent tune I recorded and mixed.

Sidechain - Lyric Video to Roll the Dice
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Sidechain, eh? Nice sounding track!
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post
How much hot do they run into your Logic?
All Drums track go to red VCC go over 3db on VU...Digital mess
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Sidechain, eh? Nice sounding track!
Yea after not being able to come up with a name it was natural to take a mixing term. lol

Thanks man!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search