The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality
Old 17th December 2017
Lives for gear

Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality

AdmiralQuality.com - Stunning Phaser

Stunning Phaser is an extremely high quality, internally oversampled, VST/AU phaser effect plug-in. In addition to the usual LFO, Stunning Phaser also offers a stereo envelope follower, multiple LFO waveforms, and our very own Gliss-quanti™, an automatic sample-and-hold function that divides LFO waveforms up into discreet steps for exciting new possibilities you've never heard a phaser do before!

Currently only $9.99 USD, a massive 75% Off during the 0.0.0 Beta! As with all our plug-in products, demos are free, no time limits, and you can even save and recall your work! The only demo limitation is occasional, very short silent gaps in the audio output until authorized. So try it out and please let us know what you think, either by email ([email protected] ) or drop us a PM here on Gearslutz.

Cheers everyone and have a great holiday season!
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Nut

Yet to try its sound, so for now commenting just on the looks. That acid green colour needs to go. Especially the part when it goes brighter. Making it a solid green like the rest of it would already make an improvement. For now it's just too poisonous on the eye.

But it's sort of SynthEdit obsolete looking, still. It's 2018 knocking at the door, not 1998. Hopefully GUI is changed during further development.

And before some conserved mammoth from 1998 tells me interface doesn't matter, it matters in 2018. Yes. News, yes. For you. You are welcome.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

The GUI is certainly still in flux, we haven't spent much time at all on it yet. It will stay green though, but maybe not quite so much.

Thanks for the suggestions! We're listening!
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible pasts View Post
And before some conserved mammoth from 1998 tells me interface doesn't matter, it matters in 2018.
Damn, I'm older then mammoth...
Old 18th December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

This is GS for you... Slamming the looks before ever listening to it.

I quite like the green, actually. It's different.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
This is GS for you... Slamming the looks before ever listening to it.

I quite like the green, actually. It's different.
I was actually going to point out that, particularly when it comes to GUIs, there's no pleasing everyone.

It'll probably stay much like it is through most of the 0.x Beta series. Once the feature set has stabilized we'll do another shot at it, and give it a proper 3D render instead of just photoshopping it. (Don't worry, there won't be any perspective effect. We're not going through THAT ever again! )
Old 18th December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

I am trying it with Logic. It works, however, I see an error message when launching Logic and also when loading Stunning Phaser. Please note attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality-111.jpg  
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, I am trying it with Logic. It works, however, I see an error message when launching Logic and also when loading Stunning Phaser. Please note attachment.
Ah, that's a bug! Thanks, will fix in the next update. (It's non-fatal, you can safely ignore it for now. And you can make that error message go away by creating that folder manually. And yes, it'll have to be SCAMP for now but will become Stunning Phaser after we fix that bug.)

Oh and if you're having any trouble locating your User Library folder (which is different than the System Library that's in the root of your drive) follow the instructions here: How to view the ~/Library folder in Mavericks and Yosemite | Macworld
Old 18th December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Greetings-

Bought. Happy to support any phaser that sports an envelope follower.

Like your color choice and UI's fine: nice to get some relief from today's marketing mindset.

Is there a way to get finer granularity in the knob adjust? The "Center Freq" in particular has such a wide range it's difficult to make small adjustments. Thinking kick drum in a range of--say--40 to 250hz, for example.

I'm also getting some large DC comings and goings. Haven't played enough to be more specific. Latest Win10, latest Reaper running at 96khz, screenshot attached below. The DC comes and goes at the rate of the LFO, which is set to its lowest in the shot. Phaser sounds a lot better without the DC as you might imagine.

[EDIT an hour later: Second, newer screenshot has LFO off, Reaper at idle. DC seems to be coming from the envelope follower.

I believe that SHIFT gives me finer control of knob settings? It's more apparent now in Linear knob mode.]

[EDIT-2: Realized that soloing the snare preserved the analog juice coming out of MJUC on a send. This screenshot below shows Stun Phaser by itself.]

HTH and thanks again!

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality-stunphaser-171218-1.jpg   Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality-stunphaser-171218-2.jpg   Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality-stunphaser-171218-3.jpg  

Last edited by vze26m98; 19th December 2017 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Nut

What difference it makes if I listened to it, if I don't want to work with toxic acid green interface, to begin with? You can give me your phaser and call it stunning, fantastic, superb, and all sorts of names, but if it hurts my eye, I'm not working with it, period. As for the colour, it's definitely not stunning, more like nauseating and dizzy. It's true, it's obviously toxic, and you should not feel butthurt about my criticism of it and try to get back at me.

Besides, I pointed out right from the start I'm yet to try it, as I don't automatically have time for everything that's being thrown out on GS or otherwise; there's just too much stuff out there, obviously, but just looking at it, I already know I would want to avoid dealing with that colour. I don't appreciate it and I have the right to say it. Deal with it.

To take it into consideration or not - it's the developer's choice. Won't listen, will ignore - will be ignored and won't get my money. As simple as that. There's enough good developers around with decent phasers. No big deal.

Quote:
I was actually going to point out that, particularly when it comes to GUIs, there's no pleasing everyone.
It's not what you like. It's what your customers like, existing or potential. You should think of your customers first. How come you devs never get it? Do a poll if you like, lets see how many of them appreciate your choice of acid green and that obsolete GUI overall. I doubt anyone would be like WOW, THE MOST AMAZING THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!! It's obviously far from it and it's definitely the subject for improvement and change. What's there even to argue about?

Take objective criticism when it's given to you and try to improve. It only works to your advantage. Besides, you should know better from your unfortunate experiences with the infamous Poly-Ana GUI (until it WAS IMPROVED. IMPROVED, see?) not to make yet another crappy interface.

<deleted by mod>

Last edited by Diogo C; 18th December 2017 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Let's not get personal. Thanks.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

So...

If we buy now, we get to keep the final version without paying more ... ?

And ... Timeframe on this ?

Thanks !

BTW ...
The colour is kind of hard on the eye yes, just sayin' ...

Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

I'm also getting a +6dB gain with Stunning Phaser in a noticeable number of instances. Obviously a small point as I can put a trim plug after, but perhaps add in/out trim knobs before it reaches v.1.0?
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
The colour is kind of hard on the eye yes, just sayin'
Thanks! I was starting to think I need to take a few acid pills in order to enjoy the show.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
So...

If we buy now, we get to keep the final version without paying more ... ?
Yes, our Upgrade Protection Policy makes your licence key good until the end of the 2.x series. (After 12 years in this business we haven't taken a product out of version 1.x yet. So it should be good for quite some time!)
Quote:
And ... Timeframe on this ?
No idea. We expect this Beta to run for quite a while as we collect user feedback, make additions and improvements, and repeat the cycle a few times. We'll be slowly raising the price as the Beta updates progress. The full price when it reaches version 1.0.0 will be $39.95.

Don't let that "Beta" word scare you though. This is a fully functioning product right now and, we feel, more than worth the current $9.99 price. It uses the same code-base as our other products which at this point are very well tested and mature.

These Beta updates won't ever expire either, though we do expect the parameters and sound to change over the course of this 0.x Beta period. Initial Beta is the only time we'll ever "break" an existing behavior or sound, once we go to 1.0.0 release we lock that down so updates will never change the sound/behavior/parameter meaning of a given project. That's about the only downside to Beta -- it would be impossible to grow the feature set if we didn't do it like this -- but you can just keep your Beta downloads around should you find you ever want to go back to a previous behavior. If you're using the VST versions your host might even tolerate having multiple VSTs with the same ID installed at the same time, you can just edit the .vst/.dll filenames to make them unique. (Recommend adding the version number to like StunningPhaser000.dll, StunningPhaser010.dll, etc.) Not every VST host allows that though so if you only see one version of the plug-in in your host, you'll have to temporarily move the ones you're not currently using out of your VST plug-ins folder and only leave only the one you currently want active in there. More explanation of that on the product page and in the readme.

We're kind of married to green on this one, the only question is, how green? And no, it won't be getting a custom skin feature like Poly-Ana has, it's just too much work to maintain for a small product like this one. We'll definitely be revisiting GUI towards the end of this Beta series though, after the feature set has settled down.

Last edited by AdmiralQuality; 18th December 2017 at 09:05 PM..
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
I'm also getting a +6dB gain with Stunning Phaser in a noticeable number of instances. Obviously a small point as I can put a trim plug after, but perhaps add in/out trim knobs before it reaches v.1.0?
I think there's a very good chance you'll see that.

What's everyone's opinion on wet/dry mix? It's not something traditional hardware phaser effects offered, but we could certainly add it. We tend to think of phase shifting as an effect that works best 100% wet though, and in a way the Stages knob controls the strength of the effect, so that's why there isn't one yet. If you want output trim too probably the best way to go is 2 more controls, gain for wet and gain for dry. There's intentionally a lot of empty space on the GUI right now though it won't take many additions to make it feel cluttered, so we're trying to economize, but I think there's a good chance for these two.

Regarding the DC offset: Thanks for pointing that out, vze26m98. Looks like a low-cut filter button might be in order. We've also been thinking of one for the envelope follower signal as well. And by the way, that's a lot of envelope you have dialed in there. Try backing it off a bit and also note that it interacts with Center Freq which you'll typically have to adjust some to bring the envelope back to center (that's one of the things a DC blocker control on the envelope would do for us, keep it centered).

Regarding knob sensitivity: Yes, holding shift will provide fine control, but also note that once you start dragging a knob you don't have to keep your mouse within it -- you can go all around the perimeter of your screen to maximize resolution. Still, we'll definitely be tweaking the ranges and curves on some of those controls. Also please note that you can click the Admiral Quality logo at the bottom to get the Settings dialog, where you can select between all 3 possible knob modes -- something most other products force on you. (Known bug: it's sharing its global settings with SCAMP at the moment. Will fix in the next update but not serious, as you probably will prefer the same knob mode for both products.)

Thanks all! Keep the questions and suggestions coming!
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What difference it makes if I listened to it, if I don't want to work with toxic acid green interface, to begin with? You can give me your phaser and call it stunning, fantastic, superb, and all sorts of names, but if it hurts my eye, I'm not working with it, period. As for the colour, it's definitely not stunning, more like nauseating and dizzy. It's true, it's obviously toxic, and you should not feel butthurt about my criticism of it and try to get back at me.

Besides, I pointed out right from the start I'm yet to try it, as I don't automatically have time for everything that's being thrown out on GS or otherwise; there's just too much stuff out there, obviously, but just looking at it, I already know I would want to avoid dealing with that colour. I don't appreciate it and I have the right to say it. Deal with it.

To take it into consideration or not - it's the developer's choice. Won't listen, will ignore - will be ignored and won't get my money. As simple as that. There's enough good developers around with decent phasers. No big deal.

It's not what you like. It's what your customers like, existing or potential. You should think of your customers first. How come you devs never get it? Do a poll if you like, lets see how many of them appreciate your choice of acid green and that obsolete GUI overall. I doubt anyone would be like WOW, THE MOST AMAZING THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!! It's obviously far from it and it's definitely the subject for improvement and change. What's there even to argue about?

Take objective criticism when it's given to you and try to improve. It only works to your advantage. Besides, you should know better from your unfortunate experiences with the infamous Poly-Ana GUI (until it WAS IMPROVED. IMPROVED, see?) not to make yet another crappy interface.

<deleted by mod>
@ AdmiralQuality , I offer to buy two licenses if you don't change the color.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Re: the +6dB gain jump, I see my VU meter downstream pinned in the red all of a sudden, and rather than just twisting a knob on StunningP, I find myself loading a trim plug. As I said, output trim would be a convenience, but not a necessity, as I have instances of trim plugs on most of my tracks. I tend to favor trimming output, and controlling the levels that go into a plug, rather than using input trim at all, an approach I think not the best with analog emulation. I use Reaper, so a wet/dry knob doesn't have much value, although it may for others.

I look at phasers as another tone shaper, hence my interest in your envelope. It's the phase relationship between the original signal and the phased one, plus the relation with other sounds that I listen for. I'm mostly using phasers on parallel tracks, so again, I handle the whole wet/dry thing in another way.

I don't know if you've looked at the new PaulWolff/Softube Phaser, but the row of "LEDs" that track the center points of the filters dynamically is very cool; nice rhythms, really helpful getting things placed where you want them. I guess the new NI Phasis has something similar, but there's no scale, so it's not really useful to check whether one of your centers is noodling around between 20-40Hz.

Have fun!
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality-sonalksis.png
Attached Thumbnails
Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality-sonalksis.png  
Old 19th December 2017
Oh I thought it was green because it was modeled off the Boss Phaser pedal?

Anyone here still know what an actual guitar pedal is? No not NI Virtual Guitar Rig....like a real boss FX pedal made in japan from the 80's :/
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark View Post
Anyone here still know what an actual guitar pedal is? No not NI Virtual Guitar Rig....like a real boss FX pedal made in japan from the 80's :/

Yes, I'm old enough to know ...

Old 19th December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark View Post
Anyone here still know what an actual guitar pedal is?
Most definitely. In fact, the absolute standard for phasing, in my book, is the 80s Small Stone pedal I've got sitting right here. The sound is smooth as butter, and it will never need an update!
Old 19th December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralQuality View Post
We're kind of married to green on this one, the only question is, how green?
It can never be green enough. I want moarrrrrrr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralQuality View Post
What's everyone's opinion on wet/dry mix? It's not something traditional hardware phaser effects offered, but we could certainly add it. We tend to think of phase shifting as an effect that works best 100% wet though, and in a way the Stages knob controls the strength of the effect, so that's why there isn't one yet. If you want output trim too probably the best way to go is 2 more controls, gain for wet and gain for dry. There's intentionally a lot of empty space on the GUI right now though it won't take many additions to make it feel cluttered, so we're trying to economize, but I think there's a good chance for these two.
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
It can never be green enough. I want moarrrrrrr...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1513672079

Attached Thumbnails
Stunning Phaser VST/AU plug-in effect by Admiral Quality-screen-shot-2017-12-19-09.23.16.png  
Old 19th December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aux13 View Post

Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Greetings Admiral-

I though to download the manual for SCAMP to get a better idea of how StunningP's modulation controls work, and with your sale still on, I couldn't resist the purchase. A great filter!

I spent some more time with StunningP and had a few comments and questions, here below in no particular order.

1) Inverse resonance is really nice. ATM, I don't recall this on other phasers, but again, really nice.

2) In previous posts, I mentioned the DC and +6dB gain issues, and noticed also that you can blow up the resonance pretty well on the outer reaches of the knob adjust. That said, let me assert that I would prefer controls that DON'T limit adjustment to "useful" ranges. Without "training wheels", a plug may blow up, but one retains the privilege of choosing where "useful" settings trail off. (I think Airwindows is of this persuasion as well.)

3) I have a better sense of the envelope follower now: a depth control, but no attack/release/"speed" adjusts (as yet). Mixing in some GlissQuanti LFO makes for very interesting dynamics!

4) Am I right to think that the phaser stages, irrespective of number (4-32) are always spread "evenly" across the spectrum? The "spread" control on the new NI Phasis is really great; one can move the centers closer together, enabling an envelope sweep across wider or narrower segments of the spectrum. That is, if Phasis only had an envelope follower!

Happy Coding!
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Maniac
As a PolyAna user this was an instant buy
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Take objective criticism when it's given to you and try to improve.
So your preferences of color are "objective"?

------REDACTED-------

Last edited by Squeegee 303; 20th December 2017 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Don't want friendly ribbing to be misconstrued.
Old 20th December 2017
msy
Here for the gear
0.0.0 beta and already one of the best sounding and inspiring software phasers I've tried so far (tried 'em all). Instant buy. Will be interesting to see how this developes for sure.

What is needed IMHO?
1. Output gain limit
2. Dry/Wet

What would be really awesome to have?
1. A syncable 16-step sequencer to control center frequency and/or resonance (or anything). With swing in % ofcourse.
Roger Linn's AdrennaLinn Sync comes in mind (it's not developed or sold anymore).

2. Being able to set center frequency by note and then be able to spread the notches based on multiples. On top of that being able to program the step sequencer with notes. This would make it really musical!
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msy View Post
0.0.0 beta and already one of the best sounding and inspiring software phasers I've tried so far (tried 'em all). Instant buy. Will be interesting to see how this developes for sure.

What is needed IMHO?
1. Output gain limit
2. Dry/Wet

What would be really awesome to have?
1. A syncable 16-step sequencer to control center frequency and/or resonance (or anything). With swing in % ofcourse.
Roger Linn's AdrennaLinn Sync comes in mind (it's not developed or sold anymore).

2. Being able to set center frequency by note and then be able to spread the notches based on multiples. On top of that being able to program the step sequencer with notes. This would make it really musical!
Currently there is no spread to the stages. The vintage phasers that we're trying to evoke didn't do that, so we don't want this one to either. (Maybe someday we might do a super phaser that has the kitchen sink thrown in, but the idea of this one was to be a simple implementation with extremely high quality, classic sound and behavior.)

I do think gains for dry and wet output are likely at this point as so many are requesting them. Then they also double as a wet/dry mix.

There won't be a limiter or anything like that, put one downstream if you feel it needs one. A DC blocking filter switch is likely though.

As for sequencers in plug-ins, it's something we're dogmatically against. However, there is another, better way to go about this, and that's to expose the center frequency control to modulation by incoming MIDI note value. SCAMP and Poly-Ana can do that on their filters (click the product name to get the MIDI setup) allowing for all those sequenced filter effects we love from the classic modulars, but harnessing the full power of your host's sequencer rather than offering yet another built-in and severely limited step sequencer. Need to think about this a bit more and try it out to see if it's as useful as it is for resonant low/high pass filters, but I think there's a good chance of that. Thanks for mentioning it!

Here's a little demo of Poly-Ana's filters tracking incoming MIDI notes on two different channels, playing two different sequences (neither of which are the channel that's controlling the polyphonic keyboard input) one panned left and the other panned right. I wish more users would discover and use this capability! It has the added benefit that you don't need to learn or be limited by yet another step sequencer, you're only limited by the capabilities of your host. (They track monophonically, obviously, so only the last sent MIDI note affects the cutoff frequency.)

http://www.admiralquality.com/produc...erTracking.mp3

Last edited by AdmiralQuality; 20th December 2017 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: perfectionist
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search