The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plugin Boutique releases Scaler MIDI effect Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5th December 2017
News Desk Editor

Plugin Boutique releases Scaler MIDI effect

Plugin Boutique releases Scaler MIDI effect-pluginboutique_scaler_user_interface_resize_pluignboutique.png
Plugin Boutique releases Scaler MIDI effect

Scaler is a unique and inspirational MIDI effect that makes finding chords and progressions intuitive and fun. With note detection, scale selection and chord suggestions, Scaler is a comprehensive but easy-to-use toolbox that will help anyone make better music.

A first of its kind, Scaler can determine what key and scale you're in and suggest chords that match your music, or it can inspire a tune from scratch by providing a set of initial chords in an unexplored key. With the onboard bank of 1,728 scales and modes including genre and artist presets, there's more than enough to keep the juices flowing.

Once you've determined a scale, Scaler lays out basic diatonic chords for you to audition, and lets you take things further with dozens of chord variations and voicings to try out. Theory buffs can also get an insight into each chord's harmonic function.

Ready to put together a progression? Simply drag and drop chords into Scaler's sequencer, change up octaves and inversions, and record or drag the progression into your DAW.

BENEFITS:
  • Discover your music's key and explore alternative scales and chord sets.
  • Choose from hundreds of keys, and get the harmonic flavours of pro artists.
  • Easily audition chords and find alternative voicings and common substitutions.
  • Quickly build intelligent progressions by dragging chords into Scaler's chord sequencer.
  • Drag chords and progressions from anywhere in the plugin out to your DAW.
DETECT:
  • Discover your track's current scale with MIDI keyboard or piano roll note detection.
  • Get an insight into the emotional content of matching scales.
  • 12 keys across 12 scales and modes giving you a total of 144 options to choose from.
  • 12 unique voicing types giving you a potential 1,728 Scales and modes.
  • Over 50 artist chord sets from the likes of Carl Cox, MJ Cole, CeCe Rogers and Mike Huckaby.
  • Over 50 genre and mood-based chord sets such as Chill, Drum & Bass, Jazz, Soundtrack, EDM...
  • Check how closely a given scale matches your detected input.
  • Keep an eye on notes and chords going through Scaler with real-time visual feedback.
  • Visualise the chosen scale as highlighted notes on Scaler's piano keyboard.
  • Audition chords from your chosen scale with a choice of four sounds.
  • Play and record one-finger chords using Scaler's Bind MIDI function.
  • Assign any VST / AU instrument to Scaler to control your favourite synths.
EXPLORE:
  • See the basic diatonic chords that can be built from your chosen scale.
  • Browse Chord Variations for each note to get suspended chords, extended chords, dominant sevenths and jazz chords.
  • Quickly get a sense of each chord's harmonic function in progressions.
  • Discover chord substitutions that lend variety to your progressions.
  • Experiment with different chord voicings to spread notes across the keyboard.
  • Mix and match from hundreds of artist and genre-based chord sets.
BUILD:
  • Drag and drop chords from your palette into Scaler's Progression Builder.
  • Transpose and invert chords for even more voicing styles.
  • Audition your progressions and make changes with drag-and-drop.
  • Save your own chord sets to the preset bank for later use.
  • Export MIDI to your DAW simply by dragging and dropping.
System Requirements:
Formats: AAX, Audio Units (AU) and VST plug-in.
Mac: OS X 10.7 and later (32 and 64-bit compatible).
Windows: Windows 7 and later (32 and 64-bit compatible).

Price: $49.00

Trial version available at: Scaler - Plugin Boutique
Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Boutique releases Scaler MIDI effect-pluginboutique_scaler_user_interface_resize_pluignboutique.png  
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Updated to 1.1
YouTube

Bump for a plugin which deserves more praise than the usual suspects on GS.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Updated to 1.1
YouTube

Bump for a plugin which deserves more praise than the usual suspects on GS.
Agreeed.

Loving this wee beaut.
Old 15th January 2018
When the discounts were, I did not have time to buy.

I wonder if there will be a discount?
Thanks
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Same question here.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear
I'm going to buy this .... even though I've studied and played jazz piano for 30 years!

The reason is simple for me, when you work on your own a plugin like this can jog you out of your usual harmoic groove and make you reactive - something to jam against and stimulate creativity.

I think tools like this, when used sensibly, can be great.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Addict

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks similar to Cthulu. I love these kinds of tools as its very easy to get stuck into chord/lick memory with your hands/brain and play the same ol **** you're used to playing everyday. Same thing happens with other instruments. So tools like this are great for getting out of those habit patterns and finding some new ideas and chord patterns you would have never came up with on your own normally.. Also the fact that you can hit one key and play a whole chord, which could be a complex fingering, allows you to come up with some interesting rhythms that you normally wouldn't be able to do very quickly learning some two handed chord and switching to some other equally complex chord. It just wouldn't happen with conventional means. So I think this tool is great and much needed in the world of music. A tool to create music No one needs another compressor plugin... were good on compressors. Create tools like this that enhance the music making process!!

50 bucks seems a little pricey to me, but I will probably demo it and purchase this one regardless. And thanks for the thread update! I missed this one!

Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Haven't tried it yet, but it looks similar to Cthulu.
Cthulhu doesn't analyse incoming notes, or offer chord suggestions or variations/inversions, etc, and Scalar doesn't have an arp. But they both work well together. I had Scalar running into Cthulhu yesterday. Set Cthulhu to just arp, no chords, hit random a few times on the arp, then start triggering chords from Scalar for some quick inspiration.
Old 15th January 2018
WKG
Lives for gear
Any one getting this to function in Pro Tools?

I am getting the plugin is not a valid aax error here with PT 12.8.2 Windows 10 Pro 64.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Super - just downloaded the trial.

Fantastic for Logic Pro's missing chord analyser plus it's waaay deeper.

Gonna buy...
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
No one needs another compressor plugin... were good on compressors.
That's sooooo true
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
That's sooooo true
Still would buy Softubes APi2500 and ssl G. This is gearslutz after all, we want it all!

On a more serious note, you are right though. And this looks winner here.
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Bought Scaler this friday because I had a session with an artist and didnt have time to learn scale, chord structure and so on before the session. Scaler saved my dignity :-) this is, by far, my favorite plugin now - usefull in SO many ways (also for educational purpose)! Thanks a lot for this
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I love this plugin. My only issue with it so far is when it is used as a "Midi Effect" plugin in Logic, it doesn't keep the proper timing of the track it is applied to. Otherwise it would be perfect.
Old 18th January 2018
WKG
Lives for gear
Nice plugin but the AAX version is dead in Pro Tools.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
Nice plugin but the AAX version is dead in Pro Tools.
Same here in PT 12.8.3 on Win10 x64.
Old 18th January 2018
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpl View Post
Same here in PT 12.8.3 on Win10 x64.
I sent a note through their support link. We'll see what they have to say.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I sent a note through their support link. We'll see what they have to say.
I sent one too. I'm sure they'll get it fixed. I'm very eager to try it.
Old 19th January 2018
WKG
Lives for gear
Updated to 1.1.1 today.

Pro Tools AAX problem is solved.

That was fast.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I nearly purchased this when the intro offer was on but had bugs with exporting midi into Studio One and then simply missed the offer.
It does looks like a promising tool though and they do appear responsive to resolving bugs so hopefully when they have a sale I can be tempted ...
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear
Had no idea this was a thing until today. Picked it up immediately. Some great stuff here that will help me write. Only thing I would say that it could use is an actually playing mechanism kinda like Toontrack does with their EZkeys and some sort of song structure builder. But thats just nice to have. For what its doing it does great! Chord ideas to help with song structures and chord ideas for when I have 60% of a song but maybe need some bridge help or something to make the second verse chords a touch more interesting.
Old 3 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Plugin Boutique announces Scaler 1.2

Plugin Boutique releases Scaler MIDI effect-scalerui-4.jpg

Plugin Boutique announces Scaler 1.2 – a unique scale detection software and intuitive chord progression builder

Scaler by Plugin Boutique is a unique and inspirational MIDI effect that makes finding chords and progressions intuitive and fun! With note detection, scale selection and chord suggestions, Scaler is a comprehensive but easy-to-use toolbox that will help anyone make better music.

A first of its kind, Scaler can determine what key and scale you’re in and suggest chords that match your music, or it can inspire a tune from scratch by providing a set of initial chords in an unexplored key. With the onboard bank of 1,728 scales and modes and over 100 genre and artist presets, there’s more than enough to keep the juices flowing.

1.2 New Feature List:
- Humanise velocities: velocity of each note within chords is randomised to provide a more natural playing style.
- Midi Export Length: select length of MIDI notes for export and drag and drop.
- Progression builder now handles up to 16 chords.
- Chord progressions in the progression builder can be played to the tempo of your DAW.
- New ChordSets: Classical (8) K-Pop / J-Pop (6) Neo Soul (6)
- New Scales (11): Lydian augmented scale / Acoustic scale / Major Locrian scale / Ukrainian Dorian scale / Hungarian gipsy scale / Melodic minor scale (asc) / Half-diminished scale / Phrygian dominant scale / Persian scale / Neapolitan major scale /Neapolitan minor scale

1.1 New Feature List:
- Ability to change bound octave: Choose which octave to bind and trigger chords directly from the bind MIDI button.
- Ability to play the second line when MIDI bind is active (split keyboard)
- You can now play a melody line or bass line along the chords you trigger through Scaler.
- MIDI CC through Scaler now allow MIDI CC message pass through for better control of your external instruments.
- Ability to trigger multiple chords simultaneously: Trigger multiple chords at once and create complex harmony by combining different voicings.
- New ChordSets: EDM (5) Drum & Bass (5)

Pricing and Availability

Scaler is available now at Plugin Boutique for £39.95 / $49 / €49

Scaler 1.2 is a free update for registered Scaler owners.

Additional information about Scaler is available at:
Scaler, Scaler plugin, buy Scaler, download Scaler trial, Plugin Boutique Scaler
Attached Thumbnails
Plugin Boutique releases Scaler MIDI effect-scalerui-4.jpg   Plugin Boutique releases Scaler MIDI effect-scalerui-5.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Nice! Update looks pretty good. Note duration is less than I expected. was hoping it was more along the lines creating note lengths for each note, Not just all exports. Kinda feel like this software needs a basic timeline like EZkeys. That would make sketching incredibly fast. Then you could export the whole song/section structure to the DAW and edit more from there. Basically kinda like Captain Chords does. Although I find that software super buggy.

EDIT: really happy about the 16 chords. 8 was not enough.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

NICE

What is going on with the univers and the stars that are aligned and all that!?!?!
This weekend I was looking for info on Max Martin productions and BOOM, Rick Beato put up a video (usually he never breaks down this kind of genre) and then yesterday I was sitting here thinking about when Scaler would get an update and BOOM, there it is - Karma is good these days (I will now start thinking about big money, fame and fortune instead og Youtube videos and plugins)

Thanks for a lovely product

Last edited by Rentzen; 3 weeks ago at 05:43 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search