The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Arturia announces the V Collection 6 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Harris View Post
Frustrating to see all the yapping and complaining about the upgrade price. There is new content with V6 - it's not just bug fixes and GUI changes... why should it be free? What an absurd expectation.
I've not seen anyone suggest that it should be free, unless you've very recently purchased V5. Everyone else is willing to pay, but the upgrade price of $200 is not chump change in this day of software synths.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

There's always someone unoriginally complaining about complaints and me, on occasion, complaining about them... which I just did in a backhanded way.

Was the v5 upgrade just last year?

If so, I think we've got enough to see a pattern emerging here.

Also, didn't 5 go on sale for half price or less not long ago?

I get the points about the upgrade being $50 each for the new instruments, though.

$200 is a tough price point for anything in software these days, especially this time of year.

So, are the Buchla and Fairlight good?

It would boil down to $100 each for those for me, and considering the other two free... that and the upgrade time limit make it even harder to do.

This sentence is a precomplaint about anyone that complains about me, my post or its content.
Old 6th December 2017
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
$199 for the upgrade... Just a bit too expensive for the "new" elements. I already have V5. At $99 they'd have me.
Same. I have V4 and I consider 199 too much, even though resizable guis would be a great improvement.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

To be honest the clavinet doesn’t sound wiry enough and I also think the DX7V sounds a little dull in comparison to the real thing.
The Buchla is very interesting but having never played or been near one I can only
talk about the Arturia emulation which I like.
The CME sounds fine as well but Fairlight sounds aren’t really my cup of tea.
Therefore, for me personally the upgrade price is a little steep considering it’s only the Buchla and the updates to the other things that interest me. I would jump for a $99 upgrade though... so I’ll just wait.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Bought V5 under a year ago.

And now another $ 200.- ?

Hmmm ... dont like the taste ...
What?
$ 50 per new emulation. Plus several upgrades.
Do you think developing does not cost anything?

And the new synths are really great, not mediocrate.
Well done, Arturia!
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
What?
What what ?

Quote:
$ 50 per new emulation.
Yes.
Quote:
Plus several upgrades.
Yes
Quote:
Do you think developing does not cost anything?
No.
Quote:
And the new synths are really great, not mediocrate.
Well done, Arturia!
Sure is !

Still don't like the taste.

Maybe later ...

Last edited by Gemylon; 6th December 2017 at 11:17 PM..
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Watching some videos about new additions : divorce tools !!!

Arturia is doing the right way , the add ons are constently getting better and smarter , well implemented and logical ...
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
divorce tools !!!
is it that bad?

well, maybe not, after all.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg View Post
The DX thing is nostalgia.

They could have picked the DX1 but probably did not because of the lack of brand recognition.

Layer two DX7 V instances, add 76-key Midi
controller..you have a DX1.

The DX1 looked awesome..but it was the same
FM sound as the DX7.

Much as you hate it, a lot of folks still want
and use the “DX7 Rhodes” sound, which is
nothing like a Rhodes, actually.

I don’t see much, or really any, mention of
layering DX7 V with another instance of it,
or with other V-Collection synths. You can
get some really awesome stacked sounds
that way. Try layering a DX7 V electric piano with
the Rhodes V..great way to make a cool
Dyno-My-Piano Rhodes.

Use your imagination.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usgggg View Post
The DX thing is nostalgia.
Or perhaps, classic.

For me it's having access to classic synth capabilities, combining instruments, and expanding my tonal palette; giving me far more options than just using "todays" synth sounds. I recently bought the Roland D-05 for the same reason.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Layer two DX7 V instances, add 76-key Midi
controller..you have a DX1.

The DX1 looked awesome..but it was the same
FM sound as the DX7 (on the emu).

Much as you hate it, a lot of folks still want
and use the “DX7 Rhodes” sound, which is
nothing like a Rhodes, actually.

I don’t see much, or really any, mention of
layering DX7 V with another instance of it,
or with other V-Collection synths. You can
get some really awesome stacked sounds
that way. Try layering a DX7 V electric piano with
the Rhodes V..great way to make a cool
Dyno-My-Piano Rhodes.

Use your imagination.
Thank you for the heads up; I did not know that you could layer your patches like in the tx81z.

I don't hate that sound; as a matter of fact you can make amazing patches with FM synthesis and even some analogue sounding ones if you really put in some effort and time......

On the FM synthesis side I just think that you could make a DX on steroids with the use of the resources computers offer us nowadays.

My personal opinion is that FM synthesis is one of those sound engines where I don't want a perfectly emulated 1:1 emulation.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
Or perhaps, classic.

For me it's having access to classic synth capabilities, combining instruments, and expanding my tonal palette; giving me far more options than just using "todays" synth sounds. I recently bought the Roland D-05 for the same reason.
That is great point. As a person constantly searching for "unique patches" maybe I am being to harsh on entire the FM synthesis sound.....

Get the Roland D550 if you like that sound; don't think you would be disappointed.

Don't mean to side rail the conversation here; but Yamaha is back on their A game after getting whipped by Korg for a long time in my opinion......

Wouldn't mind Arturia making a 1:1 replica of the Montage sound engine; doubt Yamaha would allow the license for that.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

So how does the Arturia DX7 sound?

Anyone tried it yet?
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
So how does the Arturia DX7 sound?

Anyone tried it yet?
Yes, I am just composing a song using it. IMHO it sounds spectacular!!! Despite much forum hatred directed towards Arturia, I love most of their synths. Somehow they sit and layer in a mix much nicer than some other brands. Really this DX7 sounds superb, I prefer its sound to NI FM8.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Yes, I am just composing a song using it. IMHO it sounds spectacular!!! Despite much forum hatred directed towards Arturia, I love most of their synths. Somehow they sit and layer in a mix much nicer than some other brands. Really this DX7 sounds superb, I prefer its sound to NI FM8.
Do they inculde original sysex ?
How are the presets ?

I alwayz found back then Arturia presets to pretty unusable , fun , but not that great , they changed with the v5 , wonder if for exemple the dx preset are inspiring , new , modern , old ect ? What was their direction ...
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Do they inculde original sysex ?
How are the presets ?

I alwayz found back then Arturia presets to pretty unusable , fun , but not that great , they changed with the v5 , wonder if for exemple the dx preset are inspiring , new , modern , old ect ? What was their direction ...
It's been awhile since I used original DX7, but I suppose at least some sounds should be original sysex. But in general I must admit I love the included presets, and also love the GUI, it is IMHO one of the best designed FM synths from a user perspective. I managed to mod a few presets that already sounded spectacular in a few minutes to the end state I had in mind.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's been awhile since I used original DX7, but I suppose at least some sounds should be original sysex. But in general I must admit I love the included presets, and also love the GUI, it is IMHO one of the best designed FM synths from a user perspective. I managed to mod a few presets that already sounded spectacular in a few minutes to the end state I had in mind.
Thks Jantex , you brought me back in the 80 " , this what started it all for me (production side) ....while my friends playing shinobi , my friends father had one of the first units , i used to spend the whole day on it !!!

To know if the sysex are here check it via Analog Lab 3 interface
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thks Jantex , you brought me back in the 80 " , this what started it all for me (production side) ....while my friends playing shinobi , my friends father had one of the first units , i used to spend the whole day on it !!!

To know if the sysex are here check it via Analog Lab 3 interface
I checked it, they are, and sound like I remember them to. Really I am so impressed by this.
Old 7th December 2017
Here for the gear

Hi,

I'm very glad that you like our DX7 V. Indeed we have included some original ROM on the presets list. They are all listed with the prefix "Rom"
Keep in mind that you can also import original DX7's banks.

Regards,

Matthieu
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I checked it, they are, and sound like I remember them to. Really I am so impressed by this.
Thks Jantex now gas on again even if i already have sounds to make 2456 albums ....lol
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thks Jantex now gas on again even if i already have sounds to make 2456 albums ....lol
It is the same with me. I actually didn't have any Arturia synth till yesterday. But had all Native Instruments, U-he, Air, Spectrasonics,... But I decided to try DX7 for fun and then it wasn't even funny how good it sounded. So I decided to try their MiniV and preferred it to Diva and Monark actually. Then I simply decided to bite the bullet and get the collection. GUIs are gread, Analog Lab is stunning piece of software.

I will just say that I avoided them in the past due to the forum hatred towards Arturia and considered them like "ok products, but nothing special. It actually turned out I prefer them greatly to that "should be special" ones. I got so much better bass sounds out of Arturia products than form Trillian. I love trillian for their double bass. But synth sounds are simply too subby and to fat in the 80-100Hz region. I always struggle to fit them to mix. Arturia basses are punchy and sound like a record.

Now after trying them actually the only regret I have I didn't get their products earlier. They sound phenomenal and have better presets than any developer apart from Spectrasonics. So many instantly inspiring sounds by only browsing...really.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is the same with me. I actually didn't have any Arturia synth till yesterday. But had all Native Instruments, U-he, Air, Spectrasonics,... But I decided to try DX7 for fun and then it wasn't even funny how good it sounded. So I decided to try their MiniV and preferred it to Diva and Monark actually. Then I simply decided to bite the bullet and get the collection. GUIs are gread, Analog Lab is stunning piece of software.

I will just say that I avoided them in the past due to the forum hatred towards Arturia and considered them like "ok products, but nothing special. It actually turned out I prefer them greatly to that "should be special" ones. I got so much better bass sounds out of Arturia products than form Trillian. I love trillian for their double bass. But synth sounds are simply too subby and to fat in the 80-100Hz region. I always struggle to fit them to mix. Arturia basses are punchy and sound like a record.

Now after trying them actually the only regret I have I didn't get their products earlier. They sound phenomenal and have better presets than any developer apart from Spectrasonics. So many instantly inspiring sounds by only browsing...really.
In fact some of old stuff were legit , because their stability / maintenance and gui were terrible versus comptetion , so yep a lot of hate , half of it justified , but for me it's one of the plugin / hw maker that negociate the turn the best in the industry ...the whole policy on dev and product range is solid , pricing is agressiv and on point with todayz challenges .

V collection is a must have imho , i was just thinking is the upgrade from V5 to V6 is needed in my case at 200 euros ...

Analog Lab basically is all i use even when i need to use a specicfic synth , it allwos me to clean up my plugin layout and created only one template ....

I originaly got it first with my minilab keyboard and for 99$ it was stupid deal ....

Their goodies is an invitation for tweaking (the expert panel opened) and with last stuff i saw via videos , i do think they should normalies those , cause depending on synth you have differente options /layout ....

One option i would have proposed if i was in dev team , is a unified tweaking zone option in analog lab for all synth ...basically one that is the master even if the ones withing the "sub synth" are also availlable .....

Mod Matrix (for me the best way to handle modulation and have a global view of what's done) , modulation (lfos , step ect) , FX
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Anyone having any luck getting their App Manager to connect to the servers? I've been trying to download the updates since yesterday with no luck and keeps saying that the servers are not available.
Old 7th December 2017
unr
Gear Head

If you own V collection 5 you get all the updates from V6 (like Solina, Wurli new Gui) for free. The thing that you only get with a paid upgrade is Piano V2 + the 4 new devices.
That's a good move from Arturia.

I have just updated all my devices, and saw this. Arturia Software Center is slow, but does its job.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
If you own V collection 5 you get all the updates from V6 (like Solina, Wurli new Gui) for free. The thing that you only get with a paid upgrade is Piano V2 + the 4 new devices.
That's a good move from Arturia.

I have just updated all my devices, and saw this. Arturia Software Center is slow, but does its job.
I'll have to try again when I'm back in the studio because I have not had any luck getting to even connect. Always have trouble when they offer the upgrades...always.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what they were aiming for with the DX7 GUI. The virtual keyboard (which can't be hidden) takes up a huge amount of screen real-estate (nearly 50% of the main GUI), while the remaining few controls all have acres of space. All of which would be fine - clean, clear design is important - but for what seems like a very retrograde step from Arturia: you cannot access/mute any of the effects without expanding the rack, at which point it fills up more than an entire 24" monitor (again, largely down to the huge virtual keyboard). Being able to quickly switch off things like reverb, and other effects, while preset browsing is pretty important - enough that one should be able to do it from the basic GUI, just as you can with most of their (and others') soft synths - especially as so many of the presets make copious use of reverbs, etc.

Yes, you can resize the GUI - but that also down-sizes the font used in the preset browser. I've never before seen a soft synth where so few controls are spaced out over such a large amount of screen real-estate, when there are a number of basic features that really, truly ought to be on any 'easy' page, or among the basic controls, or however they refer to the non-expanded view.

It almost feels like Arturia took so much s**t for their small, fiddly GUIs for so many years (and rightly so, for at least five of them; though they did put things right with the V Collection 5) that they went too far in the other direction with these latest releases. But it may just be me, and I'd be curious to hear others' views.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Every keyboard sould be optionnal , im 100 % with that and i hate those wast of space ....
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
Anyone having any luck getting their App Manager to connect to the servers? I've been trying to download the updates since yesterday with no luck and keeps saying that the servers are not available.
Yes I had that issue too, so I used iGetter to download all the files. Then I used App Manager to install.
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Addict

Is there any actual sound improvement in Piano V 2? I.e., does it actually have any frequency content above ~5kHz now? Not asking for Pianoteq here, just that it make *some* statement in the highs.
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic orange View Post
I think the additional pianos in Piano V 2 are an excellent choice of addition. It's a shame that Arturia V 5 Collection users have an update for every instrument except Piano V. Aside from the 3 new pianos, the other updates ("enhanced mic positioning, an improved EQ, a new luscious stereo delay, and an in-built compressor") would have been a nice freebie update. But I understand how that's technically difficult.
Just wanted to add that logging into my account shows the upgrade to Piano V 2 for $19.99. While not free, I think that's a very reasonable option for those of us who want to get the new pianos without upgrading to the whole V 6 Collection (yet). Props to Arturia for this! And I didn't mean to sound ungrateful before. The free updates for V 5 users are nice and very welcome.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search